Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

slavatuvs posted:

The FSA?

A Kurdish led force could never take Raqqa.

Of course they could take it; all things are possible with US air support. The problem would be keeping it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Lol at anyone who thinks the Turks are going to go after ISIS. The YPG has been the only consistently anti-ISIS force in this whole trainwreck of a war. I could easily see Erdogan using ISIS as a bargaining chip with Obama and demanding we hand over Gulen/gently caress over the Kurds or he'll tacitly support ISIS. If I were him that's exactly what I'd do

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

It's starting to sound like the SDF's movements aren't just a land grab. There are reports that they have taken two villages from the opposition south of the border and my still be on the move.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

icantfindaname posted:

Lol at anyone who thinks the Turks are going to go after ISIS. The YPG has been the only consistently anti-ISIS force in this whole trainwreck of a war. I could easily see Erdogan using ISIS as a bargaining chip with Obama and demanding we hand over Gulen/gently caress over the Kurds or he'll tacitly support ISIS. If I were him that's exactly what I'd do

However much Erdoğan wants Gulen, he's not going to get extradited unless it can get through a court here. Even if Obama desperately wants Gulen to go there's literally nothing he can do short of overhauling the entire extradition jurisprudence to force him over to Turkey if there's no evidence for his involvement.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

However much Erdoğan wants Gulen, he's not going to get extradited unless it can get through a court here. Even if Obama desperately wants Gulen to go there's literally nothing he can do short of overhauling the entire extradition jurisprudence to force him over to Turkey if there's no evidence for his involvement.

Right, which is why my expectation is that the war against ISIS/their territorial losses in Syria are going to grind to a halt

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I can't tell you how surprised I am that Turkey just happened to invade at the same time ISIS withdrew from Jarabulus and is attacking the Kurds south of Hasakah. :tinfoil:

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Sinteres posted:

I can't tell you how surprised I am that Turkey just happened to invade at the same time ISIS withdrew from Jarabulus and is attacking the Kurds south of Hasakah. :tinfoil:

ISIS withdrew because there was no point to fight the Turkish military, those numbers would be much better used manning defensible positions.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

slavatuvs posted:

ISIS withdrew because there was no point to fight the Turkish military, those numbers would be much better used manning defensible positions.

Yeah, fighting their ally would be pretty dumb.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

slavatuvs posted:

That never stopped ISIS, the faction that is more than happy to employ suicide bombers.

Also the 400th anniversary of ottoman invasion of Syria.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Torpor posted:

500th

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Marj_Dabiq

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Torpor posted:

That never stopped ISIS, the faction that is more than happy to employ suicide bombers.

They use suicide bombers when they're useful, a svied is expensive, throwing them at Leopard 2s is a waste of resources.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
It's funny because part of the reason the YPG/SDF control so much area east of the Euphrates is because ISIS withdrew from several places with minimal fighting when they turned up with the USAF.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Where do they go though?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Radio Prune posted:

It's funny because part of the reason the YPG/SDF control so much area east of the Euphrates is because ISIS withdrew from several places with minimal fighting when they turned up with the USAF.

I think Manbij has taught them the value of holding major cities, it's the one place USAF support is minimized.

Kurtofan posted:

Where do they go though?

Tabqa or Al-Bab

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Meanwhile the UN/OPCW confirms the Syrian government used chlorine in two attacks, and ISIS used mustard in another
http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-chemicalweapons-idUKKCN10Z2L7

quote:

Syrian government troops were responsible for two toxic gas attacks and Islamic State militants used sulphur mustard gas, a joint investigation by the United Nations and the global chemical weapons watchdog found on Wednesday, according to a confidential report seen by Reuters.

The year-long U.N. and Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) inquiry - unanimously authorized by the U.N. Security Council - focused on nine attacks in seven areas of Syria, where a separate OPCW fact-finding investigation had already determined that chemical weapons had likely been used.

Eight of the attacks investigated involved the use of chlorine. The inquiry was unable to reach a conclusion in six cases, though it said that three of those cases warranted further investigation.

The results set the stage for a Security Council showdown between the five veto-wielding powers, likely pitting Russia and China against the United States, Britain and France over whether sanctions should be imposed in the wake of the inquiry.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

So were there us airstrikes supporting to turkish push or is f-16s === US airstrikes re: early reports?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Turkish AF has F16s, so their use doesn't mean a thing one way or another wrt the US.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

So were there us airstrikes supporting to turkish push or is f-16s === US airstrikes re: early reports?

Yeah, Turkey has a lot of F-16 and unless they got rid of all their pilots during the purges they'd be my first guess as to which nation in particular contributed a couple of F-16 participated in Operation Euphrates Hypocrisy.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Clearly what we need to do is have a US-assisted Kurdish invasion of Turkey.

The real Syrian Civil War starts here :getin::darksouls:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Sinteres posted:

The worst part to me isn't that we're picking Turkey over the YPG. It's that we're picking a Turkey under Erdogan that cynically fed ISIS recruits while being perfectly content to have them as neighbors before suddenly deciding an "anti-ISIS" campaign was necessary because the US-backed Kurds were making real gains. That's leaving aside the devastation Turkey's inflicting on Kurds inside their own borders, and the way they've openly supported Al Qaeda in Syria. Erdogan is at best a frenemy at this point, so pretending our alliance is strong makes our leaders seem stupid and craven. I think even under those circumstances it would be all but impossible to choose the YPG over Turkey, but there should be a limit. Allowing Turkey some kind of border zone is one thing, especially west of the Euphrates, but an incursion without limits would be another thing entirely.

I don't think it makes your leaders seem stupid and craven at all. Just, as usual, willing to stop supporting their allies, if they outlived their usefulness, at the drop of a hat, previous accomplishments be damned.

I know it's nothing personal against the Kurds at all, because this is just the same poo poo that US foreign policy has always been during the past century, really. Work with whomever is at the location in question, who can best serve the US's geopolitical aims, and help subdue all its opposition. It's why it supported straight up murderous dictators in Latin America while screaming 'freedom' against the USSR, and it's why it'll very likely suck Erdogan's circumsized dick hard from this point on to keep him in NATO, even as he devolves further and further into a dictator himself. Whatever gets the US what it wants, with next to no regard to what the local impact will be, that is what US foreign policy has always been. poo poo, that's what most country's foreign policy always is, it's just the US that happens to have the biggest hammer with which to smash other people's teeth in if they bridle, provide them support with if they're useful, or threaten withdrawing it if they've outlived said usefulness.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What does Erdogan has to offer to the west? He's clearly not going to keep the region stable, him making friends with Putin means he's questionable as the gatekeeper of the black sea and I don't think that we need his freshly purged army for anything in the near future so we are we backing him over a small but mostly west-friendly(well, not any more after today)faction that's actually helping clean up daesh instead of secretly and not so secretly supporting them? It's not like Erdogan is going to be grateful for this for longer than a week anyway.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The Kurds have tried to get as much land as they can while US air support is still in the skies. Without it are they really any better than any other rebel group? Like are goons here really expecting the Kurds to be effective at all if USAF support dries up?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

CrazyLoon posted:

I don't think it makes your leaders seem stupid and craven at all. Just, as usual, willing to stop supporting their allies, if they outlived their usefulness, at the drop of a hat, previous accomplishments be damned.

it'll very likely suck Erdogan's circumsized dick hard from this point on to keep him in NATO, even as he devolves further and further into a dictator himself. Whatever gets the US what it wants, with next to no regard to what the local impact will be, that is what US foreign policy has always been. poo poo, that's what most country's foreign policy always is, it's just the US that happens to have the biggest hammer with which to smash other people's teeth in if they bridle, provide them support with if they're useful, or threaten withdrawing it if they've outlived said usefulness.

I don't think abandoning the Kurds per se makes Obama-Biden look craven and weak, but I do think pretending Erdogan's a friend of America in the process and Biden going out of his way to lavish love and attention on him when we know for a fact Obama hates his guts is stupid and craven. Yeah, I get that they're just doing what it takes to keep what they see as a strong piece on their side of the chess board, but I think critics of American foreign policy who protest that we're far more interested in placating our allies and clients than they are in keeping us happy have a point, and maybe the US doesn't have to be friends with every bad actor around the world. It's an idea Obama's flirted with, but it would represent a sea change in US foreign policy, and I can see why it's a gamble he's not willing to fully commit to. I still think today's performative bear hug by Biden was sickening though.

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011

CrazyLoon posted:

When did the US indicate it was going to stop supporting Turkey now that they've "outlived their usefulness" and betray a more than 50 year old formal military alliance "at the drop of a hat, previous accomplishments be damned"? :confused:

... Oh, you're referring to the relatively recent arrangements with a bunch of unrecognized Kurdish groups? :lol:

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

eigenstate posted:

When did the US indicate it was going to stop supporting Turkey now that they've "outlived their usefulness" and betray a more than 50 year old formal military alliance "at the drop of a hat, previous accomplishments be damned"? :confused:

... Oh, you're referring to the relatively recent arrangements with a bunch of unrecognized Kurdish groups? :lol:

Uh, it still looks bad. I mean it looks so bad that we stuck around in Vietnam simply to accomplish not looking really bad for abandoning people.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Asehujiko posted:

What does Erdogan has to offer to the west? He's clearly not going to keep the region stable, him making friends with Putin means he's questionable as the gatekeeper of the black sea and I don't think that we need his freshly purged army for anything in the near future so we are we backing him over a small but mostly west-friendly(well, not any more after today)faction that's actually helping clean up daesh instead of secretly and not so secretly supporting them? It's not like Erdogan is going to be grateful for this for longer than a week anyway.

Turkey's geography makes it very strategic.

Look at a map. It (especially Istanbul) is the bridge from West to East. If you want to move something over land- goods, people, pipelines- then you go through Turkey or you go through Russia (which usually takes longer).

So when Syrian refugees stream into Europe, or the price of energy goes up and down, or when international trade comes up, Turkey is a major country to talk to.

It also controls the Bosphorus. Some posters earlier were snickering at this, but it remains very important. Turkey control's Russia's access to the Med, and to a decent extent its access to to the oceans in general. So if you care about Russia's naval power (and a lot do care, especially these days) then you want Turkey on your side for that, as well.

Turkey is also a staunchly secular*, muslim nation, that is pretty stable, has close links to Europe, and a lot of historical clout in the region. So if you find dealing with the muslim middle east confusing or dangerous, Turkey is a pretty good proxy to use, as they have a foot in both camps, so to speak. *this is of course not set in stone for all time.

Turkey has also developed quite a lot over the past few decades- it has a population of around 80 million and its economy is one of the biggest in the region. It has a large military and a strong national identity. Whatever internal problems it faces (and it has quite a few) its a safe bet that Turkey will still be around in some form in 50 and 100 and 200 years. Unlike some of the barely-post-colonial states that can barely hold themselves together.

All these, and I'm sure more I'm not thinking of, are good reasons to have Turkey on your side. Which is why despite a lot of fuckery, Turkey has been a part of NATO for a long time, and will continue to be in the future.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Torpor posted:

Uh, it still looks bad. I mean it looks so bad that we stuck around in Vietnam simply to accomplish not looking really bad for abandoning people.

I'm not sure you can say that the Kurds are being abandoned. They may want something they can't have (control of the land between the cantons but it was known like, forever, that it would be unlikely that they would end up with it. I personally would love to see an independent Kurdistan carved out of Turkey, Syria, Iraq, and Iran with a stable, secular government but the chances of that happening are next to nil given the geopolitics. They currently have more than they ever have and I sincerely hope they get to "keep" it in a post-war Syria in the form of local control, semi-autonomous region, however things shake out.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I'm not sure you can say that the Kurds are being abandoned. They may want something they can't have (control of the land between the cantons but it was known like, forever, that it would be unlikely that they would end up with it. I personally would love to see an independent Kurdistan carved out of Turkey, Syria, Iraq, and Iran with a stable, secular government but the chances of that happening are next to nil given the geopolitics. They currently have more than they ever have and I sincerely hope they get to "keep" it in a post-war Syria in the form of local control, semi-autonomous region, however things shake out.

Also this hypothetical Kurdistan would be landlocked and its access to the outside world would be controlled by the same countries it was formed from. I can't see how Kurdistan comes into existence and becomes functioning and stable without the complete destruction and reworking of the Middle Eastern map.

Their best chances are the semi-autonomous regions, but even that's a struggle in Iraq right now and the faintest of possibilities in Syria. Good luck even mentioning such a thing in public in Turkey or Iran though.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Count Roland posted:

Turkey is also a staunchly secular*, muslim nation, that is pretty stable, has close links to Europe, and a lot of historical clout in the region. So if you find dealing with the muslim middle east confusing or dangerous, Turkey is a pretty good proxy to use, as they have a foot in both camps, so to speak. *this is of course not set in stone for all time.

Yeah, uh, not if Erdogan has anything to say about it. Which surprise, he suddenly has a lot more clout/pull to say about it now!

Pretty sure the secular institutions were among the first against the wall in the latest purges.

Marcus Roberto
Dec 30, 2004

by exmarx

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Also this hypothetical Kurdistan would be landlocked and its access to the outside world would be controlled by the same countries it was formed from. I can't see how Kurdistan comes into existence and becomes functioning and stable without the complete destruction and reworking of the Middle Eastern map.

This hypothetical Kurdistan would probably border Armenia, and via them Georgia. A precarious reach to the outside world, but would not be *completely* cut off by the 4 nations it took land from.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Sinteres posted:

The worst part to me isn't that we're picking Turkey over the YPG. It's that we're picking a Turkey under Erdogan that cynically fed ISIS recruits while being perfectly content to have them as neighbors before suddenly deciding an "anti-ISIS" campaign was necessary because the US-backed Kurds were making real gains. That's leaving aside the devastation Turkey's inflicting on Kurds inside their own borders, and the way they've openly supported Al Qaeda in Syria. Erdogan is at best a frenemy at this point, so pretending our alliance is strong makes our leaders seem stupid and craven. I think even under those circumstances it would be all but impossible to choose the YPG over Turkey, but there should be a limit. Allowing Turkey some kind of border zone is one thing, especially west of the Euphrates, but an incursion without limits would be another thing entirely.
What i am afraid of is that the turkey controlled parts of Syria could be used by ISIS members as bases to hit the other sides with terrorist attacks. Because i can see the current Turkish regime turns a bind eye to people attacking kurds.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

OAquinas posted:

Yeah, uh, not if Erdogan has anything to say about it. Which surprise, he suddenly has a lot more clout/pull to say about it now!

Pretty sure the secular institutions were among the first against the wall in the latest purges.

Yeah, the Islamic Republic of Turkey has been the AKP's end goal since the beginning and they've already rolled back a lot of the reforms Kemal made to secularize Turkey.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

People are extremely over dramatic when it comes to new developments in this war. It sucks that the Kurds have to give up Manbiji but realistically they had very little land on the West side of the Euphrates and the US is probably the only reason the SDF exists at all.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Russia's response to the OPCW/UN report showing their Syrian ally used chemical weapons:

quote:

Lavrov: US Must Fulfill Own Promises Before Voicing Demands Regarding Damascus

The United States should do what it promised to do regarding separating the moderate Syrian opposition from terrorists instead of making claims regarding Damascus allegedly using chemical weapons, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Thursday.

MOSCOW (Sputnik) – On Wednesday, the United States called on Russia and Iran to join efforts to seek accountability for those responsible for using chemical weapons in Syria, after the United Nations released the results of a probe into chemical weapons attacks in Syria in 2014 and 2015 that implicated the Syrian government and the Daesh terrorist group.

"They should look in the mirror and do what they have been promising to do since January – to separate the opposition which they consider loyal from terrorists. They cannot do this, they are either unable to do this or do not want to do it," Lavrov told reporters.

Syria has been mired in civil war since 2011, with government forces loyal to President Bashar Assad fighting numerous opposition factions and extremist groups. On February 27, a US-Russia brokered ceasefire came into force in Syria. Terrorist groups, which maintain a heavy presence in Aleppo, are not part of the deal.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

'moderate Syrian opposition'? That still exists?

It appears that the Darayya pocket is finally crumbling. I know, kind of unimportant news over the Turkish intervention in the Jarablus area, but still a marked victory for the SAA. That pocket has tied up thousands of troops for 4 years. It's final collapse marks the end of any direct threat to Damascus.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

A White Guy posted:

No, but I think that's the point.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A White Guy posted:

It appears that the Darayya pocket is finally crumbling. I know, kind of unimportant news over the Turkish intervention in the Jarablus area, but still a marked victory for the SAA. That pocket has tied up thousands of troops for 4 years. It's final collapse marks the end of any direct threat to Damascus.

Well, YPG seems to be rallying people under the SDF flag, so there might still be hope. Though they still are a completely unknown quantity.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
It's Schrodinger's withdrawal:
https://twitter.com/sayed_ridha/status/768723431412019201

quote:

US Secretary of State John Kerry has told Turkey's FM that Kurdish forces in the SDF have withdrawn from the west side of the Euphrates - AA
http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/kerry-to-cavusoglu-pydypg-withdrawing-to-east-of-euphrates.aspx?pageID=238&nID=103207&NewsCatID=510

https://twitter.com/OIRSpox/status/768717145626775552

quote:

The Syrian Democratic Forces have moved east across the Euphrates to prepare for the eventual liberation of Raqqa, Syria #defeatdaesh

So apparently the US is going to say the YPG has withdrawn regardless of whether the YPG actually withdraws or not.

Well that doesn't sound like abandonment, that sounds like we're lying out our asses and hoping Turkey buys it.

E: Maps, grain of salt, etc

https://twitter.com/Syria_Rebel_Obs/status/768843243677184000

quote:

Situation NOW as #SDF advancing along #Sajur and after the Ayn al-Bayda battle won this night by #SDF. #Jarablus
This map explains exactly what I'm expecting will happen, a small "safe zone" along the border that Turkey can eventually point to and say "mission accomplished".

fade5 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 25, 2016

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Updates from the official Turkish account for the military operation.

https://twitter.com/EuphratesShield/status/768829697601990656

Also this interesting map shows ISIS might be feeling under pressure

https://twitter.com/Nawaroliver/status/768827245058265088

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Hey we're pretending to believe that Turkey is interested in fighting against Daesh; the least they can do is return the courtesy and pretend to believe that the Kurds went away.

• Locked thread