Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I like the still for that video if only because according to On Point this morning the Russian official that Ghaddafi called was the head of the Russian Chess Federation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
http://twitter.com/!/anupkaphle/status/106029363539091456

"What would be "breaking news" now is if they found Gaddafi playing chess with Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden inside Bab al-Aziziya."

lol.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
:siren:

quote:

AJA breaking: fighters announce their full control of Bab Alazizia through loudspeakers #Tripoli #Libya

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Brown Moses posted:

I hope this doesn't all go "the princess is in another castle" on us.

My money is on Gadaffy holding out in the basement of the hotel all of the press is holed up in.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Golbez posted:

:siren:

The question is whether Ghadafi was there or not.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Fog Tripper posted:

My money is on Gadaffy holding out in the basement of the hotel all of the press is holed up in.

It seems to be the biggest "secure" area that is still held by the regime in Tripoli, so it may not be far off the mark.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Furious Mittens posted:

It seems to be the biggest "secure" area that is still held by the regime in Tripoli, so it may not be far off the mark.

If he's even in Tripoli. Still we'll find out soon enough.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Furious Mittens posted:

Nice number of human shields as well.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

quote:

AJA: call w/activist: #Tripoli is under opposition control except Abu Slim area. #Libya.

quote:

AJA: call w/activist: remaining Katayeb in Bab Alazizia are "completely surrounded" #Tripoli #Libya

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
CNN reporter on a cellphone is doing her best to get herself blown up. She's inside or right outside the compound in the middle of a huge group of rebels and they just lost her (again)... "hold on guys I need t.." *big rear end explosion*

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Brown Moses posted:

I hope this doesn't all go "the princess is in another castle" on us.
What kind of fortress (specially one built by a paranoid blood thirsty dictator) doesn't feature a secret passage for "emergency" exit?

Fog Tripper posted:

Yes, it would be a good place to hide.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Toplowtech posted:

What kind of fortress (specially one built by a paranoid blood thirsty dictator) doesn't feature a secret passage for "emergency" exit?

A bad one I guess.

Edit: It would be nice if they got him here though.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Furious Mittens posted:

Did I miss the rebels taking the hospital? That would be another cowards hiding spot.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Something big is on fire in the middle of the Tripoli live shot on Al-J. Earlier, there were two fires on either side of the frame, now there is just one massive black plume in the middle, behind the taller buildings in the middle. Anyone know where that shot might be relative to major action that we know of?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Time magazine will have another easy cover this week.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
Number of possible outcomes here:

1) Gadaffi is a massive Harry Potter fan. Also an avid chess player. Below the compound is a massive chess board, in which the rebels are given buckets of water and must make up the white pieces, where the black pieces are robots with knives. They must win the game, sacrificing their companions, to proceed to the next chamber where Gadaffi is actually a rug with his face on. The rug we saw having the poo poo beaten out of it was a decoy.

2) One plucky rebel has to engage him in a sword fight. Except Gadaffi can fly, and shoot energy balls. After destroying him, he activates a self-destruction mechanism and the rebel has a limited amount of time to follow political prisoners out of the compound before they get blown up, whilst stabbing brainwashed Gadaffi goons on the way out. They get out in the nick of time and the place explodes. Gadaffi turns into Godzilla, NATO shoots him in the eyes with machine guns and then fires Hellfires into his mouth. He dies, world carries on.

3) They find a room with Gadaffi's corpse in it. A rebel picks up a note on his body which reads, "We are all Gadaffi". He turns around and sure enough, his comrades all have the face of Gadaffi. He looks in a shattered mirror in the room. He does not see himself, only the wall behind him.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."
Have they cleared the underground part of the base, yet?

InflateableFerret
Dec 1, 2005

I pooped my pants

Furious Mittens posted:

Something big is on fire in the middle of the Tripoli live shot. Earlier, there were two fires on either side of the frame, now there is just one massive black plume in the middle. Anyone know where that shot might be relative to major action that we know of?

The rebels have lit Gaddafi's "historic" building on fire in the compound.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Furious Mittens posted:

Something big is on fire in the middle of the Tripoli live shot on Al-J. Earlier, there were two fires on either side of the frame, now there is just one massive black plume in the middle, behind the taller buildings in the middle. Anyone know where that shot might be relative to major action that we know of?

It's the rug.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Ace Oliveira posted:

Have they cleared the underground part of the base, yet?

As big as the compound is, it's likely going to be a bloody battle fought room to room (if Gaddafi is intent on becoming a martyr) and that's just the area we know about. The underground part is probably sprawling as well.

Now they are showing rebels hanging from the Gaddafi fist statue with the airplane in the fist, trying to break it apart. It's actually pretty comical.

Furious Mittens fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 23, 2011

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Awesome watching them tear apart that metal fist sculpture in the compound. Amazing images.

Rip Testes fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 23, 2011

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Holy poo poo, watching the AJ feed of the rebels taking the Bab al-Aziziya main building. That's a loving long walk through open ground.

Furious Mittens posted:

As big as the compound is, it's likely going to be a bloody battle fought room to room (if Gaddafi is intent on becoming a martyr) and that's just the area we know about. The underground part is probably sprawling as well.

Really, I see flamethrowers being an asset there. poo poo, just roll gasoline drums into the tunnels, set them on fire, and close the doors. All the air gets sucked out and whoever is stupid and/or loyal enough to stay inside that complex suffocates.

\/\/\/ I think it's the Twilight Zone episode with Peter Falk playing a very blatant Castro analogy.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 23, 2011

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Number of possible outcomes here:

3) They find a room with Gadaffi's corpse in it. A rebel picks up a note on his body which reads, "We are all Gadaffi". He turns around and sure enough, his comrades all have the face of Gadaffi. He looks in a shattered mirror in the room. He does not see himself, only the wall behind him.

Is this the plot to something? Because it's creepy and I like it.

Zappatista
Oct 28, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Ghadaffi's horcruxes are hidden around Tripoli. One of them was the huge building poster of Moammar,but there are more. One of the others is probably the gold fist crushing plane statue.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Rip Testes posted:

Awesome watching them terror apart that metal fist sculpture in the compound. Amazing images.
And I'm stuck on a bus going home.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

Brown Moses posted:

And I'm stuck on a bus going home.

Yeah, sorry about that. Video of the compound completely overrun now showing. Incredibly shots from the inside.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I wish the rebels would have waited 30 minutes.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Furious Mittens posted:

As big as the compound is, it's likely going to be a bloody battle fought room to room (if Gaddafi is intent on becoming a martyr) and that's just the area we know about.

Latest reports seem to state that the loyalist forces aren't putting up much resistance, so it may not be that bad (although there will be at least some fighting). I suppose it's hard to get mercenaries to fight to the last man.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
They have covered so much ground in such a short amount of time, I really hope that they are prepared to defend those gains from pockets of Pro-regime forces that are bound to pop up and make life extremely miserable for those caught inside.

It looks like they've made it all the way to the inside of the compound, judging by the photos.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Man that one guy is pissed, hanging his whole body off the end of the jet part and trying to tear it down.

^ Most of the army surrendered to the NTC yesterday. The rebels have been fighting for six months now, while the pro gadaffi faction is just anyone stupid enough to pick up a gun for him.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Zappatista posted:

Ghadaffi's horcruxes are hidden around Tripoli. One of them was the huge building poster of Moammar,but there are more. One of the others is probably the gold fist crushing plane statue.

And the final horcrux was CNN's wolf blitzer all along!

NOBEARD
Oct 17, 2008

Hee hee hee
Hee hee hee
College Slice

Ghetto Prince posted:

Man that one guy is pissed, hanging his whole body off the end of the jet part and trying to tear it down.

I think he tried to climb it.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

Ghetto Prince posted:

^ Most of the army surrendered to the NTC yesterday. The rebels have been fighting for six months now, while the pro gadaffi faction is just anyone stupid enough to pick up a gun for him.

I wonder how much that fist/plane sculpture would fetch on Ebay?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
So I'm not seeing any CQ forces, dead or alive. And the inside of that compound is SHOT. UP.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rip Testes posted:

I wonder how much that fist/plane sculpture would fetch on Ebay?

It's actually much smaller than the CQ camera crew made it through perspective IMO.

e: spellin

Burt Sexual fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 23, 2011

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Darth123123 posted:

So I'm not seeing any CQ forces, dead or alive. And the inside of that compound is SHOT. UP.

Well, it sounds like NATO has been bombing the poo poo out of it for a while.

Zappatista
Oct 28, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Where are you getting this fresh footage? AJE is just giving us a loop from inside the compound

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Furious Mittens posted:

They have covered so much ground in such a short amount of time, I really hope that they are prepared to defend those gains from pockets of Pro-regime forces that are bound to pop up and make life extremely miserable for those caught inside.

It looks like they've made it all the way to the inside of the compound, judging by the photos.

The mercenaries will either melt away or be captured. Without money in the offing why would they fight? All that leaves is the fanatics and regime hold-outs who can't make it out of the country, and I can't imagine that they'll last long against a well-armed, motivated force that has NATO providing air support.

Zeroisanumber fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 23, 2011

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
^^^^ Probably true, but fanatics can cause a lot of trouble even in small numbers, and air power doesn't mean much if they want to carry out an insurgency of some sort. It seems te only resistance reports that are coming out are regime snipers taking pot shots and then withdrawing. Hopefully they can round them up in short order.

Darth123123 posted:

There was a shot on AL-J briefly of rebels bringing what looked to be an African (perhaps a merc from surrounding nations) male in a red shirt, with his arms tied behind his back out of one of the compound buildings and ushering him into a waiting Nissan rebel kill-dozer truck.

Furious Mittens fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

Zappatista posted:

Where are you getting this fresh footage? AJE is just giving us a loop from inside the compound

That's the loop were watching (at least I am)

• Locked thread