Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Sivias posted:

If it's written in a book as fact, someone will eat it up and regurgitate it.

But you don't understand, we're the sheep for not believing it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

CoderCat posted:

Care to support your claim regarding that chant with a video? That chant comes from regime propaganda. Not a single video contains it to my knowledge.

The chant "al-'Alawiyya 'ala al-taboot wal-Masihiyya 'ala Beirut" (Alawis to the grave, Christians to Beirut) has been independently mentioned by a Syrian archbishop as well as in pro revolutionary writing.

Edit- typo, thanks to below for pointing it out

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 7, 2012

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Golbez posted:

And ... these masters of the universe that control the world economy and have made it into the uberconsumerist beast that it is... WANT this...?
Yes, they do. They have gained all the benefit they can out of the System, and now it is time to pull the plug. The internet and technology are freeing peoples minds, and they are seeing the world as it truly is. This is a danger to those who are attempting to shape society for their own desires.

This awakening is not something that is a fantasy in the minds of conspiracy theorists. It is something that is front and center in the minds of the globalist intellectual elite.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/16/opinion/16iht-YEbrzezinski.1.18730411.html?pagewanted=all

"For the first time in history almost all of humanity is politically activated, politically conscious and politically interactive. Global activism is generating a surge in the quest for cultural respect and economic opportunity in a world scarred by memories of colonial or imperial domination."

quote:

Well, which is it - are we trying to consume more resources (by controlling the Middle East entirely), or are we trying to wean people off consumer culture and move to minimal resource use?

You are confused. Securing oil resources is not directly related to increased production of consumer products. There is no conflict to be had in these two statements.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Hamelekim posted:

even more conspiracy stuff

Might I suggest at this point, you just create your own topic to discuss your... theories in instead of making GBS threads up this one?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
hey hamelekin if you do indeed claim that arabs have political agency of their own, why were you so adamant in saying that the syrian uprising was not of their own doing but rather a western plot

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Might I suggest at this point, you just create your own topic to discuss your... theories in instead of making GBS threads up this one?

don't be mean they already ran him out of the republican primaries thread in d&d for not being able to shut up about ron paul

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Hamelekim posted:

It would be more precise to call it the Anglo-American banking establishment. There are three powers vying for control right now, China, Russia, and the Anglo-American establishment. The rest of the NATO countries can be included under the last category, to various degrees.

So, where do large countries that aren't affiliated with those three, such as India, Japan, or Brazil, fit in?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So, where do large countries that aren't affiliated with those three, such as India, Japan, or Brazil, fit in?

They would be secondary and tertiary powers. They would fall under the influence of the three major powers to various degrees. If they attempt to get out of line then one of the three powers would work against them to push them back down.

With regards to the middle east, we see that the various major powers, China, Russia, and the US/West are essentially battling it out for supremacy in the Middle East. These movements, whether they were initially created by internal movements, are being used right now by the West to push their own geopolitical interests. Even Iran can be considered to be under Russia/China with regards to their political and economic interests.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
Make a new thread? Please? This is not the one for it. Please?

I thought it was Al-Mashiyya, not Al-Mishiyya?

(Please?)

I just want to see you do a thread on it yourself, being interested in how you could continue to hold these viewpoints about Vague Organizations and non-specific individuals.

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 7, 2012

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Paradox Personified posted:

Make a new thread? Please? This is not the one for it. Please?

(Please?)

Fine, I won't bring up the Anglo-American conspiracy in the Middle East in here again.

Pedrophile
Feb 25, 2011

by angerbot
If the CIA were really in Syria there would be a lot more organization by now.

Not-so-hard-conspiracy theory: The Arab monitors were an attempt to get footage out of atrocities by Bashar Al Assad to show the world how brutal he is being. :ssh:

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.
Hamelekim, I just want you to take into consideration that what if your views are wrong. Consider what that would mean if the protesters are indeed perusing human ambitions to strip away the indignity they are suffering now, and their parents suffered 30 years earlier.

Consider what an insult it would be to suggest that their plight, of suffering the inhuman domination that an establishment with a might you can't compete with. To say that their sacrifice of friends, sons, daughters. Entire families being murdered because they want the right to live their own lives without fear of criminality is only the will of a malevolent and self interested puppet master would be reprehensible.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Sivias posted:

Consider what an insult it would be to suggest that their plight, of suffering the inhuman domination that an establishment with a might you can't compete with. To say that their sacrifice of friends, sons, daughters. Entire families being murdered because they want the right to live their own lives without fear of criminality is only the will of a malevolent and self interested puppet master would be reprehensible.

Sorry, but I think it is quite obvious at this juncture that this is all just a plot by The West™ to take over the world. Everyone knows that Middle-Easterners just are not brave or crafty enough to try to solve their own problems. Only The West™ can inadvertently do so while trying to serve their own interests abroad.

I am really interested what Hamelekim thinks about the Civil Rights movement. Western banking conspiracy? After all, if the ME has no political agency, it must be a known fact that those cowardly negroes African-Americans would never have stood up to their white oppressors without some sort of malevolent being puppet-mastering from behind the scenes for their own interests.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

LYE-OONS posted:

I am really interested what Hamelekim thinks...
Don't be.

Please.

Fiendish_Ghoul
Jul 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 157 days!

LYE-OONS posted:

I am really interested what Hamelekim thinks about the Civil Rights movement. Western banking conspiracy? After all, if the ME has no political agency, it must be a known fact that those cowardly negroes African-Americans would never have stood up to their white oppressors without some sort of malevolent being puppet-mastering from behind the scenes for their own interests.

Hey now, some of his best friends are black.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Can we stop responding to Hamelekim?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

And everyone who ever posts like him.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
http://www.jadaliyya.com/pages/index/4251/seven-hours-in-hama

Really interesting article about visiting Hama in 1982 right after the massacre. And all of you should be reading Jadaliyya, anyways. It's kind of unfortunate that a lot of these stories are only coming out now.

http://www.wbez.org/episode-segments/2011-06-27/hell-harvard-chicagoan%E2%80%99s-story-survival-syria%E2%80%99s-infamous-tadmor-prison-8

The same guy has also talked about spending time in Syrian prison.

edit: I just want to say that when people talk dismissively of expats with regards to the Arab Spring, they often forgot that these people had no choice but to leave.

quote:

It's masihiyya, but the a/i vowel might vary in colloquial.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 7, 2012

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.
I wouldn't say a healthy dose of skepticism should be eliminated from the discussion. There are obvious extremely important political and territorial implications at stake. Anyone who thinks that Obama isn't sitting with his cabinet talking about how and what they can do to have this end in their favor, same as the Russians, the Chinese, etc. would be equally as delusional as to think it's all just the pawns on the oversized doom territory map in the executive office in skull mountain.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Pedrophile posted:

Not-so-hard-conspiracy theory: The Arab monitors were an attempt to get footage out of atrocities by Bashar Al Assad to show the world how brutal he is being. :ssh:

But don't you see, by not being organized, that just proves they are there because only they would be smart enough to realize that this would fool the world. Lack of proof is the proof!

God it's hard to even type that in jest.

edit: I agree, some skepticism is in order, but there's a huge difference between 'taking news out of syria with a few grains of salt due to the almost total lack of journalistic reports to confirm anything' and all the posts in the last 5+ pages from a certain poster

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

To tell the truth I've been very skeptical about the details coming out of Syria. But what I haven't been skeptical of is that something is going on. All of these reports, videos, rumours, tweets, facebook posts, etc. This stuff wasn't possible in 1982; it wasn't even conceived of. Can you imagine what a poo poo show of misinformation Homs 1982 must have been in comparison? It's still a shitshow, but in the opposite direction now; instead of having too little information we have too much.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Pedrophile posted:

If the CIA were actively and directly involved in the Syrian uprising, the uprising would have already imploded by now.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGTOvUvmYAk

This series has been posted a couple times, but they finally finished it up with a very good episode. I love that Syrian protesters keep making fun of his pronunciation of the letter s.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

cochise posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_color-coded_war_plans -- a bit dated but sort of relevant

Just adding to what you mentioned about contingency scenarios. People usually freak out and go on about American imperialism once they learn about these war plans. Once mentioned it to a Canadian friend in passing while discussing the current Iran situation and the diatribe I was faced with would make Lizzie Phelan proud.

Really people all act so surprised by this. I'd imagine any country with a significant military would write up hypothetical war plans against even friendly neighbors, just for the sake of keeping strategists busy and thinking in peacetime. I think the only difference is that for a lot of matchups the plan is "we can't invade them, but if they invade us this is how we'll make it not worth their while," and obviously only countries with significant force projection can meaningfully plan overseas wars.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Seriously. The best way to train people in the art of making contingency plans is to have them make contingency plans. For every plausible (and not so plausible) scenario under the sun. And when the training is done? Well, you've all these plans lying around. Might as well shelve 'em.

Pedrophile
Feb 25, 2011

by angerbot

Sivias posted:

I wouldn't say a healthy dose of skepticism should be eliminated from the discussion. There are obvious extremely important political and territorial implications at stake. Anyone who thinks that Obama isn't sitting with his cabinet talking about how and what they can do to have this end in their favor, same as the Russians, the Chinese, etc. would be equally as delusional as to think it's all just the pawns on the oversized doom territory map in the executive office in skull mountain.

Some of the major international concerns is that Russia keeps selling arms and ammunition to someone they know is using on civilians and protesters. Additionally Syria has a large amount of chemical weapons that could be used on the populace or pointed towards Israel. U.S. interests are mainly focused on isolating Iran, breaking down terrorist support from the regime, and preventing a civil war/humanitarian catastrophe that could very likely spread into neighboring countries.

edit: or at least, that's what I would be concerned about

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

I keep finding myself asking what the UN can do about Syria now that Russia and China will veto everything. Are we going to end up with us supplying and supporting the rebels like Qatar did with Libya? The whole situation with Syria is so incredibly fustrating, I feel immeasurably terrible for the people in Homs, and all around Syria right now. Just wish we could do something.

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 7, 2012

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Some are tossing around a Uniting for Peace UNGA resolution.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-07/u-s-seeks-plan-b-to-end-syrian-violence-after-un-fails-to-act.html

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

To tell the truth I've been very skeptical about the details coming out of Syria. But what I haven't been skeptical of is that something is going on. All of these reports, videos, rumours, tweets, facebook posts, etc. This stuff wasn't possible in 1982; it wasn't even conceived of. Can you imagine what a poo poo show of misinformation Homs 1982 must have been in comparison? It's still a shitshow, but in the opposite direction now; instead of having too little information we have too much.

Yeah, watching and listening to a live stream from Homs last night really brought that home to me. At the same time, I was both there and, in the broader picture, had no idea what was going on beyond the sound of explosions and gunfire.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

http://bambuser.com/channel/baba-omer/broadcast/2348417

Another day, more shelling.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Xandu posted:

http://bambuser.com/channel/baba-omer/broadcast/2348417

Another day, more shelling.

It's so eery hearing the prayers/shouts/crying in the background then silence, then loud bursts of shelling and automatic gun fire.

In more 'Russias a piece of poo poo just trying to stick it to the west at the cost of Syrian lives' news:

quote:

Sergei Lavrov, Russia's foreign minister, will meet with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in Damascus on Tuesday, but for now, Russia is keeping the content of that meeting under wraps.

Russian politicians say that they are as upset as anyone about the deadly fighting in Syria, but after voting against an anti-Syria resolution at the UN, it appears that the Eastern power is trying to prove that the West does not have a monopoly on diplomacy.

Al Jazeera's Rory Challands reports from Moscow.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
The police siding with the protesters. This must be bizzaro Earth.

Maldives president 'resigns' amid protests

Presidential office source says Mohamed Nasheed has quit, as police side with protesters and seize state television.

quote:

Maldives President Mohamed Nasheed has resigned, a presidential office source told Al Jazeera, as clashes between police and soldiers intensified in the Indian Ocean island nation.

Opposition protests have gathered police support after three weeks as officers took over the state television station on Tuesday after defying orders to break up demonstrations.

Police began broadcasting an opposition-linked television station's calls for people to come on the streets to overthrow the president on Tuesday, witnesses said.

Awesome.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

That is an unexpected occurrence.

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks

Cochise posted:

Just adding to what you mentioned about contingency scenarios. People usually freak out and go on about American imperialism once they learn about these war plans. Once mentioned it to a Canadian friend in passing while discussing the current Iran situation and the diatribe I was faced with would make Lizzie Phelan proud.

If you're going to mention it to someone Canadian, you should also know that Canada also made contingency plans to invade the United States, and those plans have long been public:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defence_Scheme_No._1

This actually predates the color-coded war plan the US made to invade Canada, which may be useful to know for future my-country-is-better-than-yours pissing matches. I've never personally heard of anyone in either Canada or the US (even wackos) in my lifetime thinking it was anything other than a hilarious historical quirk.

There was a little latent hostility that led to the creation of these plans. The United States in those days often viewed Ireland as a poor little brother who needed to be defended from the British Empire/Commonwealth, which includes Canada (and at the time Newfoundland was a UK holding, not Canadian). There were also corresponding plans for all other parts of the British Empire, which all had to be accounted for in any such action to defend Ireland; the US made similar contingency plans to attack everything from Gibraltar to India to Singapore to Australia. At the time, there would also be a few Americans still alive able to personally recall Canada's war profiteering and failures to remain neutral during the American Civil War.

It was still more for planning practice than for anything else.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Lascivious Sloth posted:

The police siding with the protesters. This must be bizzaro Earth.

Awesome.

Does anyone have a breakdown of the protests in Maldives, reasons and all that? I know nothing about that part of the world, never knew they were having protests there either.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's the latest live stream from Homs
http://bambuser.com/channel/baba-omer/broadcast/2348798

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Does anyone have a breakdown of the protests in Maldives, reasons and all that? I know nothing about that part of the world, never knew they were having protests there either.

Well, the article sums it up pretty well, so read that.

quote:

Dunya Maumoon, a member of the opposition Progressive Party of the Maldives and the daughter of the islands' long-time leader Maumoon Abdul Gayoom, told Al Jazeera that Nasheed was under "military protection".

"The opposition parties have all aligned themselves together. We have been demonstrating on the streets for the last 28 days," said Maumoon.

"As the Progressive Party of Maldives, we welcome his resignation, as we believe this will be in the best interest of the country and the people of the Maldives given his recent unconstitutional and illegal acts in arresting a judge and keeping him without charge for over 20 days in detention.

"There has been various other issues related to his unlawful actions, and generally the situation in the country has deteriorated since he came to power in 2008."

Maumoon said a new coalition government would probably be formed, with elections due to be held in 2013.

Nasheed's resignation comes after opposition protests gathered police support after three weeks as officers defied orders to break up demonstrations.

Police began broadcasting an opposition-linked television station's calls for people to come on to the streets to overthrow the president on Tuesday, witnesses said.

Some other interesting facts:

quote:

The nation of the Maldives is a grouping of 1,192 islands covering about 500 miles of the Indian Ocean, south of India. Fewer than 200 of the islands are inhabited.

330,000 people are citizens, including 200,000 on the capital island of Male alone.

The Maldives gained independence from Britain on July 26, 1965.

The country is under a $92.5m loan from the International Monetary Fund.

Most of the population is Muslim, which has greatly influenced the political system.

Tourism is the largest industry, accounting for a third of GDP and more than 60 per cent of foreign currency earnings.

GDP in 2009 was $1.47bn. GDP per capita was $2,791.80.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

In Libya

quote:

Gunmen kill five in Libyan refugee camp: hospital staff

Gunmen killed five Libyan refugees at their camp in a Tripoli suburb Monday, residents and hospital sources said, underscoring the volatility in the country months after Muammar Gaddafi's overthrow.

Residents of the camp, black Libyans originally from the town of Tawergha, say they are being persecuted over accusations they collaborated with Gaddafi during the country's revolution.

Many say they are also regularly mistaken for sub-Saharan African mercenaries who revolutionary fighters said fought for Gaddafi in the war.

The attackers came to the gate of the makeshift settlement in a disused naval academy in Janzour saying they wanted to arrest young men, and opened fire as people gathered to protest, said residents.

"Men from Misrata came to the camp at 10 o'clock. We knew they were from Misrata because it was written all over their cars," camp resident Huda Bel-Eid said at Tripoli Medical Hospital.

"Around 15 of them started shooting us. All the women escaped but the young men stayed. My brother was there and I went to help him because he was shot in the head and neck, then they shot me (in the leg)," she added.

Gaddafi's forces used Tawergha as a base to besiege and shell the coastal city of Misrata during last year's civil war. Its residents say they were held hostage by Gaddafi's men and did not collaborate.

Hospital staff said five people were killed and two injured in the violence. Officials from Misrata military council denied involvement. "There is no way Misratans were involved," Fathi Bashaga, a member of Misrata military council, said.

Officials from the defense and interior ministries were not available for comment Monday.

At the morgue at Tripoli Medical Hospital, an elderly man and woman lay dead. Both were identified by Tawergha family members and had gunshots to the chest.

A resident in Janzour, who gave his name as Abdulrahman, said five people were killed. "We found two bodies of black people who had been shot on the beach. We told the police, and they have taken them now," he said.

Abdelhafid Suleiman, head of the military council of Janzour, said a group from the Tawergha camp later took to the streets to protest against the deaths. He said more violence erupted when Janzour fighters, who were on the streets to maintain security, tried to take knives and sticks off the Tawergha refugees.

Once inhabited by almost 30,000 people, Tawergha is now a ghost town.

Human Rights Watch has said Misrata rebels have looted and destroyed homes in Tawergha as well as the neighboring farming villages of Kararim and Tomina, and revenge attacks against the refugees and arbitrary arrests continue.

In addition to addressing the refugee issue, Libya's ruling National Transitional Council (NTC) must quell regular clashes between rival militias, bring down youth unemployment and secure its borders against arms traffickers, al Qaeda insurgents and migrants trying to reach Europe illegally.

And the situation in Homs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rldZJobWHoE

quote:

Syrian crisis: Army renews assault on Homs

The Syrian army has resumed heavy shelling in the restive city of Homs as Russia's foreign minister is due in Damascus for talks.

Government forces have been pounding the city - a rebel stronghold - since last week. At least 95 people were killed on Monday alone, activists say.

The BBC's Paul Wood, in Homs, says residents fear troops are planning to launch a ground assault.

The government has vowed to pursue the offensive until "order" is restored.

Our correspondent - one of the only foreign reporters in Homs - says the Syrian army started firing artillery at about 06:00 local time (04:00 GMT) on Tuesday.

Activist Mohammed al-Hassan told Reuters news agency that the bombardment was mostly concentrated on the Baba Amr district - as it was on Monday.

"There is no electricity and all communications with the neighbourhood has been cut," he added.
'Hysteria'

Also on Tuesday, Syria's interior ministry said operations against "terrorist groups" would continue until "security and order are restored" in Homs.
Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote

Our fears have come true. Assad used the situation once again as a licence to kill - that's the sad aftermath of the veto”

End Quote Peter Wittig German UN Ambassador

* All eyes on Lavrov visit to Syria

The Syrian government, which has been fighting an uprising against President Bashar al-Assad's rule since March, says it is fighting foreign-backed armed gangs.

Thousands of former army soldiers have defected to the rebel side, forming the Free Syrian Army.

Russia, along with China, has faced international condemnation after vetoing a UN resolution that backed an Arab League peace plan for Syria.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, due to hold talks with Syrian leaders, said Western reaction to Moscow's veto had bordered on "hysteria".

His office said he was heading to Damascus because Moscow sought "the swiftest stabilisation of the situation in Syria".

US State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland urged Mr Lavrov to "use this opportunity to make absolutely clear to the Assad regime how isolated it is and to encourage Assad and his people to make use of the Arab League plan and provide for a transition".

Russia is the main supplier of arms to Damascus. The Syrian port of Tartus is home to Russia's only Mediterranean naval base.
Mass graves

Our correspondent says residents burying their dead in mass graves under the cover of darkness came under fire overnight.

Unconfirmed reports said troops had been moved up to within 1km (0.6 miles) of the parts of the city under bombardment, increasing fears of a ground attack, he adds.

Meanwhile, the president's UK-born wife, Asma Assad, has expressed her support for her husband.

An email sent to Britain's Times newspaper from her office said: "The president is the president of Syria, not a faction of Syrians, and the first lady supports him in that role."

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon called the escalating violence in Syria "totally unacceptable before humanity", his spokesman Martin Nesirky said.

He urged "all concerned in Syria" and the international community to redouble efforts to try to stop the violence.

The US said on Monday it had closed its embassy in Damascus and removed all remaining staff because of security concerns.

German UN Ambassador Peter Wittig said supporters of the Arab League plan - which calls for President Assad to step down - needed to explore ways forward.

He said Berlin was proposing an international contact group that he described as "a broad-based coalition of friends of the Arab League and friends of Syria above all".

"Our fears have come true," he said. "Assad used the situation once again as a licence to kill - that's the sad aftermath of the veto."

Human rights groups and activists say more than 7,000 people have been killed by Syrian security forces since the uprising began last March.

The UN stopped estimating the death toll in Syria after it passed 5,400 in January, saying it was too difficult to confirm.

President Assad's government says at least 2,000 members of the security forces have been killed.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I post a lot of stuff on Twitter as well, so if you want to read every scrap of news about Syria and Libya follow me @brown_moses. If posted it all here there would just be pages and pages of it, I'll try to keep to key stuff here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Turkish PM Erdogan has just said that Turkey will be starting a new international initiative on Syria after the "UN fiasco", according to BBC News.

• Locked thread