Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Fangz posted:

I'm guessing the media will be shopping around for some kind of statement from the forums, some time? Anyone know him particularly well?

He had a family. And the State Department, and is going to get used as a political brickbat for a week. Don't think the media is to check in with his internet bros for a statement. Digging up internet is for 'kept to himself mostly' school shooters, not substantial citizens and diplomats and family men who were murdered.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Fangz posted:

I'm guessing the media will be shopping around for some kind of statement from the forums, some time? Anyone know him particularly well?

Dude was a mod. I know that someone keeps bring up this in some twitter link

quote:

Vilerat, the Something Awful moderator who said Africa was better off after colonialism, was killed in Africa on 9/11 by Islamic radicals.

And it's pissing me off.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Slo-Tek posted:

He had a family. And the State Department, and is going to get used as a political brickbat for a week. Don't think the media is to check in with his internet bros for a statement. Digging up internet is for 'kept to himself mostly' school shooters, not substantial citizens and diplomats and family men who were murdered.

It's really weird how the gaming press is the first to report his name, though.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Fangz posted:

Kotaku and Massively have picked up the story due to the EVE Online connection.

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

Xandu posted:

It's really weird how the gaming press is the first to report his name, though.

Probably the main media channels don't HAVE his name because no one has given it to them yet. His friends in Goonswarm know his family and found out the news ASAP -- from there it spread to the gaming media, which just doesn't realize they are a little ahead of the curve.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Few more details came in:
http://abcnews.go.com/International/american-state-department-officer-dead-libya-consulate-attack/story?id=17215154#.UFBHka4QVKd

Another dead, Ansar al Sharia claimed responsibility. Apparently Terry Jones was also involved in promoting the video.

Mittens had a take on this as well, pointing out that the movie was made in July, and combined with the double-attack, points to the whole thing being orchestrated.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Goddamn, and I'd thought we'd left the war behind. Is there any way we can set up a donation fund for his family?

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
Wow, this is messed up.

reggintaf
Jan 19, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

az posted:

Goddamn, and I'd thought we'd left the war behind. Is there any way we can set up a donation fund for his family?

Some other goons are already doing it.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT

OneEightHundred posted:

Few more details came in:
http://abcnews.go.com/International/american-state-department-officer-dead-libya-consulate-attack/story?id=17215154#.UFBHka4QVKd

Another dead, Ansar al Sharia claimed responsibility. Apparently Terry Jones was also involved in promoting the video.

Mittens had a take on this as well, pointing out that the movie was made in July, and combined with the double-attack, points to the whole thing being orchestrated.

I agree with Romney the Eve player Mittens regarding the organization of the attacks; it seems like the violence was orchestrated, given the timing, and that they happened on 9-11 is sort-of suspicious at least.

I also hope Mitt Romney gets to experience firsthand what it's like to have violence hollow-out pieces of your life, for deciding immediately that this is going to be his campaign football. You really want that big white office so loving bad, eh Romney?

The Ender fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 12, 2012

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Al-Arabiya is reporting the US ambassador to Libya was killed as well.

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

The Ender posted:

I agree with Romney regarding the organization of the attacks; it seems like the violence was orchestrated, given the timing, and that they happened on 9-11 is sort-of suspicious at least.

I also hope he gets to experience firsthand what it's like to have violence hollow-out pieces of your life, for deciding immediately that this is going to be his campaign football. You really want that big white office so loving bad, eh Romney?

That's not Romney, it's a player on EVE.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
It's 4 in the morning and I can't sleep because I miss my friend that I talked to on a daily basis. Yesterday, it was about Wireshark and TCP/IP, and this morning it was about politics. We ate fish together while Mittens talked about his eventful fanfest presentation. Ever since I found out he was going there, I had a bad feeling about it.

I am just gutted and can only think what a senseless loss.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I decided to check my phone at 5am after spending 4 hours getting my daughter to sleep and read what had happened. gently caress the people who made that video and the people who started shooting at the embassy, they are different sides of the same coin, gently caress them forever.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Xandu posted:

Al-Arabiya is reporting the US ambassador to Libya was killed as well.

AJE is reporting the same, haven't seen anything official from State yet though.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

RIP Vilerat. :smith:

Brown Moses posted:

I decided to check my phone at 5am after spending 4 hours getting my daughter to sleep and read what had happened. gently caress the people who made that video and the people who started shooting at the embassy, they are different sides of the same coin, gently caress them forever.

This. gently caress both sides. They are both horrible people. And innocent people die because of their actions.

Also gently caress the people who will abuse the deaths for their political gains.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 12, 2012

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Brown Moses posted:

To be honest, given that the video was released in July and the attacks happened on September 11th, I'm fairly confident that the video is just a flimsy justification. Dudes wanted to attack the embassy on September 11th and they used some unknown video as an excuse to do so.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Brown Moses posted:

From a Fox News Report:

quote:

Sam Bacile, an American citizen who said he produced, directed and wrote the two-hour film, said he had not anticipated such a furious reaction.

"I feel sorry for the embassy. I am mad," Bacile said.

Speaking from a telephone with a California number, Bacile said he is Jewish and familiar with the region. Bacile said the film was produced in English and he doesn't know who dubbed it in Arabic. The full film has not been shown yet, he said, and he said he has declined distribution offers for now.

"My plan is to make a series of 200 hours" about the same subject, he said.

:(

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

That's pretty hosed if they got the ambassador as well.

Kekeke!
Nov 5, 2003

"Jesus christ man where did all these koreans come from!"

Gort posted:

To be honest, given that the video was released in July and the attacks happened on September 11th, I'm fairly confident that the video is just a flimsy justification. Dudes wanted to attack the embassy on September 11th and they used some unknown video as an excuse to do so.

Maybe they would have found something else to use if not for the video. That doesn't eliminate the fact that the video was an integral part of this event.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Media are now reporting four diplomatic staff died, including the ambassador.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19570254

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
https://twitter.com/PhilipinDC

Philip Crowther ‏@PhilipinDC
Trust me, we will call and call again, but the State Department so far says no comment before 6 AM local.

(12 minutes from this post)

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

This hits close, and hard. It's easy to dismiss the events in the middle east but goddamn does it hurt when somebody you met with dies.

Fruity Rudy
Oct 8, 2008

Taste The Rainbow!
Was browsing Twitter for comments and I see that another former D&D mod, mccaine is gloating over the murder of Vilerat on Twitter:

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
As a forum muslim fundamentalist I suppose I ought to clearly state that getting upset, let alone murderous over obvious trolling like that video is a clear sign of childish, unbalanced religiosity incompatible with islam as God defines it. Furthermore such violence is against the expressed commands of the Quran (17:33 etc.).

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Just a heads up, there's a few photos showing the victims, I'd rather people didn't post them here.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
gently caress this poo poo, gently caress it. Rest in Peace Vilerat.

goattrails
Nov 27, 2009

Ride the frog, baby!

Fruity Rudy posted:

Was browsing Twitter for comments and I see that another former D&D mod, mccaine is gloating over the murder of Vilerat on Twitter:

:wtc: is that for a comment?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

goattrails posted:

Posts like that are basically why LF was shut down.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT

Hashtag Nascar posted:

That's not Romney, it's a player on EVE.

Oh crap, sorry. I'm used to 'Mittens' being used as a nickname for Mitt Romney.

Edited my post.

Fruity Rudy
Oct 8, 2008

Taste The Rainbow!

goattrails posted:

Apparently 3 years ago Vilerat made a post that mccaine didn't like and he held onto it and waited till he was killed to really stick it to him?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Deputy Interior Minister Wanis al-Sharif has confirmed 18 other Americans were injured in the attack.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Alchenar posted:

Posts like that are basically why LF was shut down.

Yeah he wasn't exactly popular in LF. That said I don't think death is a fitting revenge for holding bad opinions.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Is it possible to change the thread tag? It seems like the closest thing that can be done to lowering this thread's flag to half mast, and there is nothing at all fruity about this.

Fruity Rudy
Oct 8, 2008

Taste The Rainbow!

Messyass posted:

Yeah he wasn't exactly popular in LF. That said I don't think death is a fitting revenge for holding bad opinions.
That was 3 years ago and clearly from his more recent posts he didn't hold the same opinions. I have no idea why people would be hating on him after his murder for something he said 3 years ago.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
This international daisy chain of stupid fuckers somehow ends with murdering vilerat?

What the gently caress.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Like others, I played EVE with Sean/Vile Rat and knew him well from years in Goonfleet's directorate. We hadn't talked for a while since I stopped playing, but he was a great guy, and this is loving terrible news. All the best to his family. :(

boxorocks
May 13, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

gently caress the people who made that video and the people who started shooting at the embassy, they are different sides of the same coin, gently caress them forever.

I respect the poo poo out of you Brown Moses for all the hard work you've put into the Leveson Inquiry and all the M.E. stuff; I've been lurking all of your stuff basically. You have captured exactly how I feel right now.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

The Ender posted:

I agree with Romney the Eve player Mittens regarding the organization of the attacks; it seems like the violence was orchestrated, given the timing, and that they happened on 9-11 is sort-of suspicious at least.

I also hope Mitt Romney gets to experience firsthand what it's like to have violence hollow-out pieces of your life, for deciding immediately that this is going to be his campaign football. You really want that big white office so loving bad, eh Romney?

To be fair, Mitt Romney is playing political football with it. He immediately trotted out "Obama apologizing for America" poo poo. http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/12/world/meast/egpyt-us-embassy-protests/

quote:

"It's disgraceful that the Obama Administration's first response was not to condemn attacks on our diplomatic missions, but to sympathize with those who waged the attacks," Romney said in a statement released late Tuesday.[*]

*not true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Eurogamer have rather dickishly named him before the State Department has confirmed it:

quote:

US official killed in Libya was a senior Eve Online player

The US official killed during a US consulate attack in the Libyan city of Benghazi was Sean Smith, otherwise known Eve Online player Vile Rat - director of the notorious Goonswarm alliance and former member of the player-elected Council of Stellar Management.

BBC News reported that armed militiamen raided the compound with grenades and then set it on fire. They had been protesting about a US-produced film they claimed insulted the Prophet Mohammed. One other American was injured.

Infamous Eve Online player Alex "The Mittani" Gianturco was a personal friend of Sean Smith.

"So: Vile Rat, Sean Smith, my friend for over six years, both in real life and in internet spaceships, was the 'State Department Official' killed in Benghazi by a mob of religious lunatics, who had been incited to violence on this September 11th by a movie that was apparently made sometime in July," Gianturco wrote on his website.

"Obviously, given the combined attacks in Egypt and in Libya, this was a coordinated act designed for maximum media exposure; rile up a mob, point them at an embassy or consulate on 9/11 in particular, aim for the press. Many were injured in these pointless, reprehensible acts, and one of my closest friends was killed as a result."

Gianturco shared a chat room message posted by Vile Rat, presumably from earlier that day.

"(12:54:09 PM) vile_rat: assuming we don't die tonight. We saw one of our 'police' that guard the compound taking pictures."

"We knew that Vile Rat was in Benghazi," Gianturco added, "he told us. He commented on how they use guns to celebrate weddings and how there was a constant susurrus of weaponry in the background. He was in situ to provide IT services for the consulate, which meant he was on the net all the time, hanging out with us on Jabber as usual and talking about internet spaceship games."

Gianturco said Sean Smith had been in a similar position in Baghdad "in 2007 or 2008".

"He would be on jabber, then say something like 'incoming' and vanish for a while as the Kayatushas came down from Sadr City - State had been in the former Saddam Hussein palace on the Tigris before they built that $2bn fortress-embassy later.

Gianturco said he and Smith met up a couple of times a year in the US, and would see each other in Iceland for CSM (Council of Stellar Management) meetings.

Gianturco, The Mittani, broke the news to the Goonswarm alliance with the following message.

"My people, I have grievous news. Vile Rat has been confirmed to be KIA in Benghazi; his family has been informed and the news is likely to break out on the wire services soon. Needless to say, we are in shock, have no words, and have nothing but sympathy for his family and children. I have known Vile Rat since 2006, he was one of the oldest of old-guard goons and one of the best and most effective diplomats this game has ever seen.

"His family are in our thoughts and prayers."

• Locked thread