Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Arzy posted:

So just suck it up huh? Allow US ambassadors to be killed whenever and wherever?

We look weak, and the world will see it. Pathetic. Embarassing.

Hey, remember the last time we invaded a country on the pretense that some of their occupants might be people who attacked American citizens? Oh wait, you don't have to remember, because we're still there and still trying to figure out how to leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arzy posted:

"Thank you America, for helping us rid ourselves of Qaddafi and 4 decades of oppression. Here, have a rocket propelled grenade."

These guys are an extremelly ( and extremist) minority. They don't represent the people of Lybya.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Can we not turn vilerat's tragic death into an excuse to purge people we don't like from the forums? Regardless of what McCain's said on Twitter I doubt vilerat's would want his death to be used as an excuse to stifle free speech.

Let's not make our 9/11 tragedy into a carbon copy of the first one, complete with pointless lashing out just to satisfy vengeance and anger.

Free speech is absolutely not guaranteed here, and never was. Just glance at the leper's colony. That said I don't think anyone is going to be doing any purging, but ianam.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Arzy posted:

So just suck it up huh? Allow US ambassadors to be killed whenever and wherever?

Thanks Romney, it feels cool to have Vilerat's corpse be paraded as a casus loving belli, real loving appropriate.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Fabricated posted:

Watch Obama start a loving war

I'm pretty sure it makes me a bad person, but I irrationally want blood for blood here.

I hate this situation, because I know it's ethically disgusting of me, but if this happened in our own country without religious motives, the people responsible would pay with their lives. Why shouldn't these assholes? Religion is loving false, and our "tolerance" of any particular religion should go out the window when it results in bloodshed like this. I want justice for these people and I kinda hate myself for it.

Inspector Detector
Dec 13, 2008
INCAPABLE OF WRITING ANYTHING THAT ISN'T THE PLATONIC IDEAL OF "BEING A HOSTILE, SELF-IMPORTANT, OBNOXIOUS DICK"

Nobody likes you, so kindly fuck the hell off.

Filboid Studge posted:

RIP, Vilerat. drat shame.

On the 'what the everliving gently caress, McCaine' front, wasn't it the permabanned T-Paine who made the "laughable Xhosa girl" post, anyway?

I'm pretty sure he was just reposting it.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Fruity Rudy posted:

That seems really unlikely. The video was uploaded months ago and by sheer coincidence a bunch of people randomly decided to get upset about it on 9/11? It's just... unlikely.

I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be a mixture of the two. Some groups wanted to do something since it was the anniversary, but the recent release of that completely idiotic and reprehensible video in Arabic gave them the spark that they needed to get a riot going.

Arzy
Apr 17, 2003

You are the Dragonborn, Ride forth to your Destiny

Forums Terrorist posted:

Thanks Romney, it feels cool to have Vilerat's corpse be paraded as a casus loving belli, real loving appropriate.

I would prefer Vilerat's death be avenged but that's just me.

I'm not advocating starting another War but we need a valid response to our citizens being assassinated.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

factorialite posted:

I'm pretty sure it makes me a bad person, but I irrationally want blood for blood here.

I hate this situation, because I know it's ethically disgusting of me, but if this happened in our own country without religious motives, the people responsible would pay with their lives. Why shouldn't these assholes? Religion is loving false, and our "tolerance" of any particular religion should go out the window when it results in bloodshed like this. I want justice for these people and I kinda hate myself for it.

Go ahead, grab a gun and go kill some Lybyans, i'll buy you the ticket out.

Let's start drone stricking one of the few Arab countries that see the west in a positive light! :downs:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Filboid Studge posted:

RIP, Vilerat. drat shame.

On the 'what the everliving gently caress, McCaine' front, wasn't it the permabanned T-Paine who made the "laughable Xhosa girl" post, anyway?

Nope. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1417104#post295670302

Also real classy ReindeerF, using homophobia as a stick to beat McCaine with. (if it's any consolation iirc Lf didn't like Mccaine either)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Arzy posted:

I swear to loving god if you try to make this a political issue I will ban you

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Don't worry, some drones will be on their way and their victims may or may not include the people responsible for this. Your bloodlust can rest easy.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Arzy posted:

I'm not advocating starting another War but we need a valid response to our citizens being assassinated.

Sure, why not. Makes sense that the 'Eye for an Eye' arm is pointing to us now. Better act, right?

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Arzy posted:

"Thank you America, for helping us rid ourselves of Qaddafi and 4 decades of oppression. Here, have a rocket propelled grenade."

Just like how all Americans are dipshits who produced poorly made videos calling Mohammed a homosexual pedophile (complete with sex scenes) to make Israel a stronger state.

Arzy
Apr 17, 2003

evilweasel posted:

I swear to loving god if you try to make this a political issue I will ban you

Evil I'm not making it political, I grieve for Vilerat too.

I just want our citizens safe from harm, and those who are harmed I want their attackers brought to justice.

This is not an Obama v Romney thing, it's a "I want Americans safe" thing.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Question to those saying they want the US to "go after these people":

Which people? The ones who committed this act? The people who supported them? Salafists in general?

Where are we drawing the line?

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Mans posted:

Go ahead, grab a gun and go kill some Lybyans, i'll buy you the ticket out.

Yep, I personally want to kill some Libyans to sate my own bloodlust.

Oh wait, I didn't say that, I said I wanted justice for the murderers of American citizens with disregard for their religious "freedoms," you rear end in a top hat.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Arzy posted:

Would you take a gun and personally kill the people responsible? If not, don't ask other people to.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Brother Jonathan posted:

And here is Rience Priebus on the issue:

I cannot find anything but four letter words to describe how worthless this man is.

Kenby
Apr 26, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I think the most frustrating thing about terrorist attacks like this is that there is simply no immediate, satisfying response.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Lamuella posted:

Which people? The ones who committed this act? The people who supported them? Salafists in general?

Arrest those who spilled blood, arrest the filmmaker and his backers. If this were a perfect world, of course.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Forums Terrorist posted:

Nope. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1417104#post295670302

Also real classy ReindeerF, using homophobia as a stick to beat McCaine with. (if it's any consolation iirc Lf didn't like Mccaine either)

Regardless, if you look at the LF 'successor' forum, many of them are laughing and joking about this right now, saying he deserved it.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Lamuella posted:

This is why I know I'm an rear end in a top hat. There is no way to actually get justice, but it feels wrong that nothing will happen. The people who were involved in the murderers should pay, but it's not like there is anyway to discern who those people are.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Arzy posted:

Words have meanings. There is no way you can possibly describe what transpired as an "assassination"...which is why the only proper response is words and using this as an opportunity to highlight the Salafi issue with the Libyan government.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Arzy posted:

Does America know of any other "valid response" than war and military coups?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
drat, this wasn't what I expected to see when logging in. drat. :smith:

The biggest problem is I'm not sure there's anything we can do. It's a fringe extremist faction that's already on the government's poo poo list. I hate to say it, but anything beyond condemning the group and maybe providing material support to Libya to help shut them down would be a gross overreaction.

Really, I just feel bad for Libya right now. This group is just a bunch of massive, massive assholes (Weren't they the ones that were kicking over Commonwealth graves from the Second World War a whole back?) and they've caused nothing but misery for the Libyan people. I really hope they get what's coming to them for their actions both the US and Libya, but it's Libyan territory and Libya has to be the one to do it.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

factorialite posted:

That's a perfectly normal immediate reaction. Don't judge yourself on that. I'm having a similar one with a dose of "gently caress Terry Jones."

It's going to be weird not to have Vile Rat around, there's going to be a long time where I expect him to weigh in on something and then remember he's not around anymore and it hits me a little more. This is just sad and senseless, and he will be missed. Anything more that can be said about it I'll leave to far better posters than me.

Buffer fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 12, 2012

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Arturo Ui posted:

Regardless, if you look at the LF 'successor' forum, many of them are laughing and joking about this right now, saying he deserved it.

Yeah, that's why a lot of the LF posters and readers are paying their respects in the GBS thread.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Forums Terrorist posted:

Arrest those who spilled blood, arrest the filmmaker and his backers. If this were a perfect world, of course.

Stupid movies are not illegal and shouldn't be, even if fuckwits half a world a way get their panties in a bunch.

The film maker and his intolerant backers are terrible human beings but it would be an extreme overreaction to start jailing people because they made a movie that contains a political/religious message you don't agree with.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

factorialite posted:

This is why I know I'm an rear end in a top hat. There is no way to actually get justice, but it feels wrong that nothing will happen. The people who were involved in the murderers should pay, but it's not like there is anyway to discern who those people are.

A decent police force might have detectives who could find eyewitnesses, offer immunity in exchange for cooperation, and make peaceable arrests, unfortunately they don't have one of those, and (active)soldiers make terrible policemen.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
gosh the USA would never kill anyone innocent

(though the loss of life in this scenario is no less saddening)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Man I was really hoping vile rat got drunk, made an rear end of himself in this thread, and got banned, prompting the new thread title.

Man, I want to be angry at the guy who made the video, but then free speech (no matter how unpleasant) and all, but dude, your hate isn't helping. That said, the blame ultimately lies with the attackers.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

Drunk Badger posted:

He did IT work for the state department, which includes it's foreign assets.
He got around. I remember talking to him when he was in Baghdad like 4-5 years ago, and there were some very hairy times there, but he played it off like it was nothing :(

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I didn't know VR personally, but he was courteous enough to respond to several PMs I had sent him when I was considering a career with DoS.

I was considering a longer post about how this kind of poo poo is just a feedback loop of intolerance and idiocy, but it's not the time. RIP Vilerat.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Mans posted:

Aren't the Wahabists the extremists? These guys are Salafists right? What's the difference?

Wahabits are a distinct extremist Islamic that arose in central arabia in the 18th century and is effectively the state religion of the KSA. (i think?)
Salafists are basically islamic purists.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Forums Terrorist posted:

McCaine and I give each other poo poo all the time, with him making fun of me being a redneck Texan and me making fun of him being a fascist-loving Dutch hairdresser. When I say that I care not one lick what you think of our interactions I want you to understand deeply how little I care how offended anyone but McCaine is about what I say to or about McCaine. In other words, he's hardly in need of you treating him like some weakling who can't speak for himself and he and I have never had a problem with one another. So, you know, go find someone else to feign indignation with. You might find a big enough sucker to actually care.

Back on topic, I'm curious now what the Hell you reasonably do in a situation like this. I mean, you can't send more diplomatic staff into a situation where it's not secure, but you can't just abandon the effort because it's a necessity to be there on the ground as the place is lifting itself up. Regardless of the political slapfight that's going to happen, there's a real underlying issue there that has to be addressed and I don't see how it gets addressed without doing something complicating like sending in a larger contingent of military to guard the embassy and consulate(s).

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

factorialite posted:

I am in the same boat. Right now I would be perfectly happy if we just air dropped some tanks at the south end of Libya and didn't stop until the whole goddamn nation was a parking lot. As far as I'm concerned, the people of Libya have lost all legitimacy in their new nation. Every time a secular government falls apart in the middle east it gets replaced with fanatics who turn to murder at every opportunity.

I know I'm going to feel differently tomorrow, but today is a pretty god drat dark day.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

drat, this wasn't what I expected to see when logging in. drat. :smith:

The biggest problem is I'm not sure there's anything we can do. It's a fringe extremist faction that's already on the government's poo poo list. I hate to say it, but anything beyond condemning the group and maybe providing material support to Libya to help shut them down would be a gross overreaction.

Really, I just feel bad for Libya right now. This group is just a bunch of massive, massive assholes (Weren't they the ones that were kicking over Commonwealth graves from the Second World War a whole back?) and they've caused nothing but misery for the Libyan people. I really hope they get what's coming to them for their actions both the US and Libya, but it's Libyan territory and Libya has to be the one to do it.

Everything I've read today seems to be showing that the Libyan government is allied against the Salafists the same way that these Lebonese were allied against Hizbollah a few years ago. There is a difference between public condemnation and actually condemning terrorists, and it looks to me like there is a lot of support for the salafists within the Libyan government.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Fabricated posted:

Too soon.

Arzy
Apr 17, 2003

poo poo like this just makes me angry and frustrated. I realize there is no easy way to satiate the bloodthirst but that doesn't mean it's not there.

So sick of our nation spending its Treasury and lives making the middle east "free" only to watch our citizens get murdered by Islamic extremists. gently caress that entire region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

greatn posted:

A decent police force might have detectives who could find eyewitnesses, offer immunity in exchange for cooperation, and make peaceable arrests, unfortunately they don't have one of those, and (active)soldiers make terrible policemen.

Yeah, it really underscores how it's easy to take what most nations have for granted. Every part of this story just makes me more sad.

• Locked thread