Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Cartouche posted:

I cannot wrap my head around armored vehicles being "abandoned". What did they retreat in that was more secure than armor? Of course, they may have thought that the coalition would likely cause the armored vehicle to explode...

They've been told by NATO forces that "if you retreat, do it without your tanks because we will blow up tanks and armored vehicles".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I have two friends who are consulates in Pakistan but in the states right now for a few more days. I really really hope they don't have to go back.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Can we not turn vilerat's tragic death into an excuse to purge people we don't like from the forums? Regardless of what McCain's said on Twitter I doubt vilerat's would want his death to be used as an excuse to stifle free speech.

Let's not make our 9/11 tragedy into a carbon copy of the first one, complete with pointless lashing out just to satisfy vengeance and anger.

Free speech is absolutely not guaranteed here, and never was. Just glance at the leper's colony. That said I don't think anyone is going to be doing any purging, but ianam.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Arzy posted:

I would prefer Vilerat's death be avenged but that's just me.

I'm not advocating starting another War but we need a valid response to our citizens being assassinated.

Would you take a gun and personally kill the people responsible? If not, don't ask other people to.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

factorialite posted:

This is why I know I'm an rear end in a top hat. There is no way to actually get justice, but it feels wrong that nothing will happen. The people who were involved in the murderers should pay, but it's not like there is anyway to discern who those people are.

A decent police force might have detectives who could find eyewitnesses, offer immunity in exchange for cooperation, and make peaceable arrests, unfortunately they don't have one of those, and (active)soldiers make terrible policemen.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
By attempt do you mean ongoing, or does it appear not to have worked?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

AllanGordon posted:

It's funny though that people don't go murdering when someone burns the flag and that the very act is protected as freedom of speech.

They just beg their government to do the murdering for them. It HELPS that the embassies are mostly near liberal DC. I wonder how an Egyptian embassy would fare in Montgomery, AL.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The riots are not because of the movie, they're because of every thing. Every loving thing. The movie is just an excuse.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You... You don't want a Hardees

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

shitthedd posted:

In essence, ignore rocket attacks and the occasional civilian deaths.

I don't have an answer either. Then again, I'm not shrieking genocide when a state responds to attacks on its civilians.

How should Gaza respond to the attacks on their civilians then?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You need to stop using terms like "groupies". It's insulting, condescending, and adds nothing of value to the conversation.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

shitthedd posted:

It's happily a thing of history, but completely off-topic in a thread about the Middle East. Apartheid-era police in South Africa had a duty to protect all South African civilians from attacks on them though, regardless of their race.

Did they protect them by firing white phosphorous at South African schools?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I've tried to keep a pretty open mind about this whole situation. I feel like I understand the president and Kerry's argument and I believe their sincerity, and I understand the arguments of those like Chris Matthews who are adamantly against a strike.

But the speech really did nothing for me. The president's argument and position seemed really weak, and he didn't seem to have any confidence. The whole slippery slope domino effect argument, I couldn't buy into. Chris Matthews on the other hand, taking about how any strike by America would kill a lot of people including civilians, and the pictures will be all over the place and just inspire more extremism and buy us no sympathy and actively work against our stated diplomatic goals, I find that argument much more compelling. I'm tired of ideological wars.

Syria never signed on to the chemical weapons ban, they are offering to now. Can't we stop making threats for one week to let the diplomatic process work?

greatn fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Sep 11, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

IT Guy posted:

... and why did Russia all of the sudden ask Syria to destroy their chemical weapons? (hint: it wasn't because the US was threatening to stay out of the conflict).

Russia has set removing strikes from the table as a precondition for getting Assad into a treaty to destroy his chemical weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

nebby posted:

Yes, and the entire situation where Assad has even been willing to offer this negotiating is because *removing strikes is now a bargaining chip* thanks to Obama's threat.

And I'm saying we should do exactly that, remove strikes from the table, instead of sending mixed messages "Syria must be held accountable and the US military does not pinprick; P.S. we'll give diplomacy a shot first for a couple of weeks, maybe, unless I determine we shouldn't".

• Locked thread