Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Why do we have 24 hour news stations if none of the news stations are covering incredibly important world events?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Gadaffi forces have retaken an area of Besra, according to the rebels.

quote:

Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 04:36 - Libya

Amid intensive shelling Libya's rebels said on Saturday they had retreated from the industrial section of the strategic oil port of Brega, a day after capturing it from Gadaffi's military.

In an indication of the challenge still facing the rebels, military spokesman Colonel Ahmed Bani told reporters in Benghazi that his troops fell back after claiming control in the eastern oil port, losing the industrial section to Gadhafi's forces.

Brega has frequently changed hands throughout the conflict.

They're not quite dead yet

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Brown Moses posted:

Here's a AJE report on the Tripoli Brigade, which is currently on the way to Tripoli based on various report:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97r1T2MYL7A

Don't mean to state the obvious, but the video shows like 30 guys, without weapons, doing silly drills.

That video is from early June, so hopefully things are a bit better....

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I'd imagine the mercenaries are better armed than Gaddafi's men, even his son.

Not quite up to par with TV reporters, though.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The rebels have yet to defeat the elite squad of TV newsmen and women holed up in the TV studio. They currently have an empty handgun, and large pieces of equipment that can be thrown.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Xandu posted:

Also any thoughts for a new title.

GADDAFI IS (PROBABLY) DEAD

keep it simple...leave witty for later

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ThePutty posted:

A unnamed civillian from Tripoli just went on the AJE live stream and said "You can name me, I'm not afraid anymore." He then spelled out his name.

I wrote down that rat's name. He will be banned from Libya's glorious network of roads.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Libya Larry, the new Baghdad Bob

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Where was that press conference taking place, the Rixos? I thought the rebels controlled that.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

D-Pad posted:

Whatever happened to that crazy goon who went to libya?

AllanGordon posted:

He ran out of money and left iirc.

His Facebook doesn't indicate he left...last location update was early August in Misrata

edit: maybe he did though, I don't know, the kid is weird as gently caress

Arkane fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 21, 2011

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Eggn0g posted:

So what did Gadaffi say this time? I just missed it.

He ordered a pizza, and then hung up. Possibly a drunk dial.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
From Twitterverse

quote:

Libyan amb. to UN, who has defected from regime, tells BBC he has been told 90% Tripoli now in rebel hands.
BBC World Service is saying #Qaddafi took refuge in Algeria
Sky News correspondent @alexcrawfordsky is now live 'within sight' of Green Square in the centre of Tripoli watch at https://www.skynews.com

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Rebels turned back from Martyr's Square when they were met by gunfire, according to @alexcrawfordsky

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
FYI, they are 6 hours ahead of EST. It's 12:28 AM in Tripoli right now.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

dj_clawson posted:

Whatever that rug is made of, I want all of the rugs I ever buy to made of that.

The Libyan rugs are made of leftover bits from the construction of the Libyan roads.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Statement from NATO Secretary-General:

quote:

"The Qadhafi regime is clearly crumbling. The sooner Qadhafi realises that he cannot win the battle against his own people, the better -- so that the Libyan people can be spared further bloodshed and suffering.

The Libyan people have suffered tremendously under Qaddafi’s rule for over four decades. Now they have a chance for a new beginning. Now is the time for all threats against civilians to stop, as the United Nations Security Council demanded. Now is the time to create a new Libya – a state based on freedom, not fear; democracy, not dictatorship; the will of the many, not the whims of a few.

That transition must come peacefully. It must come now. And it must be led and defined by the Libyan people.

NATO is ready to work with the Libyan people and with the Transitional National Council, which holds a great responsibility. They must make sure that the transition is smooth and inclusive, that the country stays united, and that the future is founded on reconciliation and respect for human rights.

Qadhafi's remaining allies and forces also have a great responsibility. It is time to end their careers of violence. The world is watching them. This is their opportunity to side with the Libyan people and choose the right side of history.

We will continue to monitor military units and key facilities, as we have since March, and when we see any threatening moves towards the Libyan people, we will act in accordance with our UN mandate.

Our goal throughout this conflict has been to protect the people of Libya, and that is what we are doing.

Because the future of Libya belongs to the Libyan people. And it is for the international community to assist them, with the United Nations and the Contact Group playing a leading role. NATO wants the Libyan people to be able to decide their future in freedom and in peace. Today, they can start building that future."

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
"For those who haven't been following this story as closely as we are reporting it, [please catch us up]"

gently caress you CNN.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Fox News is showing live feeds of Sky News

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

quote:

@Reuters: REBELS SAY ALL TRIPOLI IS UNDER THEIR CONTROL EXCEPT GADDAFI'S STRONGHOLD OF BAB AL-AZIZIYAH - AL-JAZEERA TV

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

quote:

@mchancecnn O Ireland rqqvp n. M lg

Codebreakers, stat

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Zorba the Greek posted:

Somewhat. They couldn't have but somewhat yeah. Over-throwing Gaddafi is something the West have wanted for a while (with good reason) and accessing the oil will be far easier now that he'll be gone, unfortunatley.

Do you mean the oil they were already accessing?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

KillerKatten posted:

Just saw a pic on a certain imageboard not well liked around here of a very dead Gadhaffi.

Obviously about 90% chance of being fake, but couldn't see any obvious clues.

Can you upload it somewhere and link to it? NWS tags might be in order

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
"Looks like Gaddafi is never gonna get that promotion to General."

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
MSNBC has switched to live coverage, if you're into them.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Chamale posted:

Does anyone have a link to Gaddafi's final speech?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGq5H4P7rMg

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
xpost

quote:

@pourmecoffee No more smiles. Taken *less than year ago* at Arab-Africa Summit: Ben Ali, Saleh, Gaddafi, Mubarak.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

quote:

@jnyhutton #NATO jets overhead #tripoli

:clint:

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

quote:

@Reuters: Mohammed Gaddafi back on Al-Jazeera via phone: "My family and I are safe. I don't know who fired on us."

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
NEVERMIND already posted

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

mcvey posted:

It's like 4am there.

6:20am...daylight should bring some organization one way or the other.

the rebels will be giving a press conference at 2pm their time (8am EST).

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
From @cntrentF24

quote:

100 or so rebel fighters celebrating right now in #Tripoli's former Green square, singing the anthem of #Libya's revolution

Just before 5am a convoy of #Libyan rebels drove into #Tripoli's Green Square, guns blaring, in a deafening chorus of celebration

NYTimes has also added a Libya journo list similar to Brown Moses: http://twitter.com/#!/nytimes/libya

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So what's the country-wide situation? What cities are in rebel control?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

quote:

@AJELive #Libya Rebels say NATO planning to strike walls of Gaddafi's Tripoli compound, advise citizens to stay clear.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The scenes from Syria are depressing as gently caress, and some of them are gory beyond belief. The government troops are literally slaughtering unarmed protesters.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Unverified reports that Lizzie Phelan was a prolific poster in LF. She was run out of there for being a moderate.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
CNN's Matthew Chance on Twitter @mchancecnn

quote:

Mood in #Rixos much darker than before. Everyone really worried about what's going to happen to us.

All electricity down, running low on food and water. Sitting at #Rixos in the dark as bullets fly outside.

Fierce battle under way near #Gadhafi compound. Huge explosions, heavy machine-gun fire. #Rixos getting hit by stray bullets.

It's no fun being stuck in one of #Gadhafi's few remaining strongholds. #Rixos gunmen now refusing to let us leave.

Scary as hell....hopefully this has a happy ending.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

thexerox123 posted:

Can someone give me some proof/a strong case that Lizzie Phelan isn't a reliable source? Someone that I know is posting videos of her on facebook, but I don't really know enough about her to make a conclusive argument.

Facts will likely not persuade your friend. Just ignore it and move on with your life.

farraday posted:

It sounds like Mohammed Ghaddafi (Son who surrendered yesterday and who was under house arrest) escaped with the reported help of Ghaddafi loyalists.

...which brings the immediate question to mind of why they held him under house arrest

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Breaking Al Arabiya: AFP: Saif Al Islam Gaddafi wasn't captured and is now in Tripoli #Libya

Uhh....what?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

quote:

@paulineCNN Chance: Saif Ghadafi said all of his family members in Tripoli. He sped off in armored vehicle. So the question: was he ever in rebel hands?

I'm wondering if they even control anything significant in Tripoli at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Lascivious Sloth posted:

vv Yes because a few made some ambitious claims that the media ran with that means the entire rebel force is innocuous

I'm wondering if the rebels are even IN Tripoli now!1

Not sure what innocuous is doing in that sentence, but yes, my fears would be that they are wildly exaggerating their control of the city. I'm not doubting they made their way in, but perhaps they have been driven back out. It's hard to know, because the embeds seem to be on the outskirts, and the rest of the journos are practically being held hostage by the Gaddafi regime in the hotel.

The rebels are the source for a majority of the news, including the latest bit that NATO is bombing the Gaddafi compound (based on the source of "rebels who could hear it").

• Locked thread