Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nenonen posted:

I didn't know Libya uses any US equipment? drat, now I must find out what's going on. Is that footage certain to be from Libya?

They joined our war on terror and cozied up to us, as a chance to stop the constant attempts on gaddafi's life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Xandu posted:

I think it has. He can't win it without killing everybody. It's not confined to one city like it was in the beginning, he's starting to lose his base of tribal support, the fact that he's bringing in mercenaries means he can't rely on the army (some divisions are totally loyal to him, like the one commanded by his son, but not all). I can easily see him continuing to massacre people over the next week, but I don't see a way out of this for him.

If any force is going to continue the protests, and assaults on his regime, it'll be the Berbers, whom he's oppressed and spouted a lot of bigoted things.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Gravel Gravy posted:

How long would a civil war last though? The majority of the populations supports the revolt, and a growing percentage of the army is in support of it. On the other side, the army regulars are dwindling, and so Qaddafi is having to rely on mercenaries, who will turn tail and stop flowing in once the situation gets too bad.

Tripoli is still rather quiet, as Gudaffi has his supporters are out constantly on the streets crushing any dissent, if this protest is to succeed, this must spread there.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

AJE reporting through an interview with somebody in Tripoli that the armed forces "massacred" many people in Green Square. Weapons used were anti-air craft guns, grenades, automatic weapons.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Cjones posted:

The Hague said Gaddafi may have fled?

William Hague British FM. He suspects Venezuela. AJE reporter asking Venezuelan Information Ministry saying they're denying it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Libyan and Bahrain's power structure isn't taking the course the Egyptian power structure took, which, while awful to many protesters, was on no level as brutal as these regimes have treated the uprisings. These started off as peaceful movements, but now they've left these protesters no choice but to resort to survival moves.

I do hope Gaddafi left, it just seems even more insane for him to have left, and the country still massacring people.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Libyan State TV: Military operation undertaken against "pockets of terror".

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The television is completely out of sync with website coverage in American cable news. They might jump to television if word gets to them that Libyan jet fighters have been used against protesters.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Gravy Jones posted:

Yeah, I realise they were talking about TV. I just find it really strange that they cover it online, but don't even mention it on TV. Don't they have any world news?

They do, but I suspect they'd rather only report on major developments, they're sort of skimming with this whole "Middle East thing".

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Cjones posted:

Oh hell Bahrain canceled their F1 grand prix, way to go that's one less money pit for white people

Actually it's good because it's one less money source for the regime to exploit. Hopefully the protests heat up again, now that there is no faux celebration.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

They're showing footage on AJE of auto-cannon shells scattered across the landscape. Those are from the jet fighters being employed against protesters.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

farraday posted:

It isn't really genocide so much as it is bloody and ineffective repression. I have a feeling the fact it is ineffective is breaking support for the regime faster than the fact it is bloody.

It won't end the protests but he is wantonly massacring the population, and surrounding countries should strongly consider mobilizing fighters over the country. Some Lebanese pilots are already confirmed detained by the Maltese.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

farraday posted:

Libyan not Lebanese right?

I don't disagree, it's just fairly difficult to do so since multilateral agreement takes time and the only states that could do so unilaterally immediately are, I believe, Western, especially the US.

I would say that Egypt taking the lead in shutting down Libya's repression would probably give the military some serious revolutionary credibility with their own population.

:lol: Sorry, my iphone corrected the spelling to that. :psyduck:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

farraday posted:

AJE: The Libyan pilots in Malta are basically defectors who refused to fire on protesters.

That sounds like it makes more sense, actually.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Cartouche posted:

Wait what... they want a no fly zone, so that the UN can intervene.
Does not compute. I need more coffee maybe.

It's like the no fly zone in Iraq after the 1st Gulf War, it was enforced with British and American fighter missions.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've only been glancing at this thread and the news from time to time, but I can't understand why these governments aren't saying "but....but Israel!" to try and regain order. Isn't that what they normally do when faced with hard domestic problems? Would it not work somehow, or do they have some other plan?

That stuff doesn't work, because people aren't stupid. They might not like Israel for other reasons, but they're not going to fall for bad propaganda from the power structure they're trying to destroy.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Here's the big question: if there is (and likely will be) an intervention into Libya that unseats Gadaffi, what message does that send to Bahrain, Yemen, and other nations? Because everything Gadaffi is doing is being done on a smaller scale in those places.

Bahrain might not be using anti-aircraft guns on people, but besieging hospitals and beating protesters unrecognizable comes close.

I don't think Bahrain is above using the Libyan tactics of using military weaponry and mercenaries to slaughter protesters if they ever got any bigger, or actually threatened the monarchy.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

This is good, perhaps CNN can get way better corroborated information.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lil sartre posted:

Regarded the so called "African Mercenaries" thing in Libya I found an interesting analysis on it http://tomathon.com/mphp/2011/02/libyas-african-mercenary-problem/

I fear for all those migrant workers and emigrants on their way to Europe who might get lynched just because of the colour of their skin.

What a terrible situation. There are definitely African mercenaries, but there are a lot of Libyan citizens who also happen to be black. It's awful to think they're just as fearful of reprisals from Gadaffi, as they are of wanton abuse from an angry and irrational population.

I'm hoping this situation would have ended sooner, but with the country basically cut in half, things do not appear to be ending any time soon. Gadaffi needs to be ended, now.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Does anybody know anything about Malta, what would be their procedure for dealing with Libyan forces using their various weapon-craft to defect? Like the pilots who landed in Malta seeking asylum, I know they were detained, but what else occurs?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ace Oliveira posted:

I wish they would go back to how they were in the 1950s. Intervening in the Korean War is probably the most useful thing they've ever done.

To be frank, I don't even want military ground forces storming the shores of Tripoli or whatever, it just would have been nice to place a no fly zone, so the maniac can't send bombers and helicopters to buzz around and zap people expressing their displeasure with his existence.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

DevNull posted:

You know the Marines are itching to storm Tripoli again. It is in their official song even. It will be like good old times.

Thomas Jefferson and the rootin' tootin' leather necks.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Vladimir Putin posted:

If the UN is going to institute a no fly zone, then what it's really doing is asking the US air force to shoot down Libyan planes. Because honestly, no other country has the capability to do it on such short notice.

:lol: What? The Italians are even closer.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Vladimir Putin posted:

Can fighter jets from Italy loiter for extended periods of time over Libya? I was thinking that an aircraft carrier would need to be parked off the coast and jets scrambled when something is picked up by radar.

In any event I can't envision Italy or any other European country for that matter getting involved without the US.

Umm, okay.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Swift emergency meeting leads to outraged UN Leader, and only an outraged UN Leader, and it will always only be that.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

davebo posted:

Didn't someone say Obama was going to speak like an hour ago? Did that happen yet?

I think it's going to be about DOMA no longer being supported by him.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

AJE is mentioning there might be some action from the UN on Friday, possible Chapter 7 resolution, likely meaning no-fly zone, blockade enforced sanctions. Don't hold ya breath though!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Uglycat posted:

Of course not. Brown people are incapable of democracy.

How long until there are conservatives demanding the Libyan protesters thank George W. Bush for disarming Gadaffi of his WMD's to fight the WAR ON TERROR.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Storm Tripoli already.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Jamsque posted:

The commentator on AJE is saying that as a youth in Libya taking part in pro-CQ rallies is a part of life and considered a civic duty, he thinks the people having a ball at his speech just now were probably bussed in from the surrounding countryside.

It's worrying what might happen tonight with rebel civilians and military moving in to Tripoli and CQ threatening to arm the crowds in Green Square to fight against them.

The rebel forces will absolutely flatten Gadaffi tonight, if it's true they're going to be moving in.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

THE HORSES rear end posted:

Every time there's a revolution or protest of any type, anywhere, aging Leftists like Pilger try to shoehorn in their bullshit ideology about neo-liberalism and IMF KKKapitalism. It's kind of like a herpes infection in that it's not dangerous but it's annoying as gently caress and will never ever go away.

I was at the anti-Mubarak protest in NYC and I was not surprised at all to find that there were aging Leftist blowhards there handing out flyers attempting to shoehorn in the Egyptian uprising with their stupid ideology.

You don't understand anything, don't post as if you do.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Cjones posted:

Has it been repea-hahaahahahahah

It was repealed the same day Congress broke up AT&T, and nationalized Exxon.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Sivias posted:

Unfortunately it's not nearly as simple as this. There is so much complexity and gray area that jumping to such idealistic conclusions is a bit folly.

Consider for a moment the Saudi empire collapse. The fighting between who owns the oil wells would create chaos and ultimately shut down a majority, if not all of the oil exports.

As soon as the Oil turns off, this planet will collapse economically. Industry, shipping, air travel, production, food, fuel. We depend on the remaining carbon goo of ancient plants an animals to power our civilization.

China is another boat entirely. China produces for the world. They're the fastest growing economy and support the largest population, as well as has incredible stock in the United States. If China's government falls, on whose shoulders does the financial situation fall?

Actually most nations have reserves, and total collapse is also folly. If any power in the Middle East deserves to be completely wrecked to poo poo it's the Kingdom of Saud.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pleads posted:

Yeah this is getting coverage in Canada but nobody really knows where to stand on it because:
1) It's stupid and nobody cares about Nelly Furtado
2) Ghaddafi has always been a monster so why is your conscience only speaking now?
3) It happened in 2007 and nobody cared back then so why would anyone care now?

The biggest point it makes for me, like formerly famous artist Eve. Entertainers have a lot of really gross contacts.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Just wanted to point out that Thomas Friedman is the biggest moron in the entire history of the world.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/opinion/02friedman.html

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Narmi posted:

Oh, I get that the Brits mishandled making contact with the Libyans, I just think it was a bad move to not try and work something out

Not really, it's shady as gently caress, and Downing Street should have known better.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

brathering posted:

oh yes, make the commodity market illiquid, what a great idea

I'm sorry, I don't know much about stock terms and market mumbo, but what would it mean to make this commodity "illiquid"?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Yeah this rebellion is going to be utterly crushed unless there's a no fly zone. Something unilateral may occur perhaps?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I don't know everything going on, on the ground, but I interpret these setbacks suffered by the rebels to be due to Gadaffi's air power. I do understand, the seriousness a no fly zone would entail, bombing the ground, and monitering the skies, is likely not enough to prevent, bad things, or further set backs, but it gives the rebels a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

Interesting news from the AJE live blog:

The rebels really need any help they can get at the moment.

What's the likelihood of securing it within the next 24 hours, or so? Benghazi is next.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2011/03/2011314103349669135.html

I doubt it overall.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 14, 2011

• Locked thread