Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EskimoFreeState
Jul 23, 2007

I AM COMING FOR YOU,

AND YOU WILL LEAD ME TO THE DANCE FLOOR.

Doccers posted:

... Jesus Christ. :(

That's just....

Jesus.

After seeing the soldiers burning bodies video on Facebook, I'm pretty much never clicking on any link to a video every again.

I liked it more back when "Not Mind Safe" meant "something slightly disturbing, probably involving butts, is happening behind these words" instead of "human decency is a fragile and disposible construct, and I can prove it."

Content, random question, and sorry if this has been explained already: Who decided on this spelling of Gadhafi's name? I read in one of the Straight Dope books that there's somewhere like 200 permutations of Anglicizing his full name, and it always used to be Khaddafi when I was younger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EskimoFreeState
Jul 23, 2007

I AM COMING FOR YOU,

Brown Moses posted:

My friend in #Libya, says security forces entered hospital in tajoura & destroyed all the blood donations desperately needed for the injured.

Is it odd that this seems especially atrocious? Sabotaging a blood bank? Like you've actually said openly "I do not care if you, or anyone in this building, lives or dies, but I don't have the balls to go door-to-door and slaughter you." Though at this point, I don't know why they wouldn't. Qualms seem to be in short supply in the region.

Also:

Brown Moses" posted:

As long as they put it on Youtube.

Now that's a YouTube link I'd click on.

EskimoFreeState
Jul 23, 2007

I AM COMING FOR YOU,

Shageletic posted:

I remember watching a documentary once, it won some awards, that interviewed north korean refugees in China. They talked about still managing to contact relatives in the south while still living in the north, and from what I remember, even sometimes can tuning into South Korean TV and telecommunication

Fake edit: Here's a thing I found on Wikipedia about NK cell phones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommunications_in_North_Korea

Weird question, but how can you really have covert cell phones without (somehow) covert cell towers? Are they actually satellite phones, or are they piggybacking off of some other kind of tower (military, etc.)?

EskimoFreeState
Jul 23, 2007

I AM COMING FOR YOU,

It's really a bummer that they have smuggled Chinese cell phones, but (if I'm reading this correctly) have to live/be within 10 km of the border to communicate with anyone. I assume that if you live farther south and the government keeps seeing you commute 200 miles out of your way twice a week, they're gonna get suspicious.

Better than nothing, I suppose.

EskimoFreeState
Jul 23, 2007

I AM COMING FOR YOU,

Brown Moses posted:

I'm looking forward to Gaddafi's final speech at some point tonight. It'll be him, drunk, with a bottle of hallucinogenic milk in one hand, and a revolver in the other.

Fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EskimoFreeState
Jul 23, 2007

I AM COMING FOR YOU,

The Brown Menace posted:

All things considered, 1.0 went as smoothly and was as non-violent (on the side of the revolutionaries) as any revolution will ever get.

Aside from the obvious "oppressing people is always wrong" part, that might be the worst part if the junta ends up getting all Mubarakey on the Egyptian population, all of two full weeks after evicting the previous dictator. Tahrir Square is now the symbol of oppressed peoples standing up against a tyrant...and winning. It's the inverse of Tiananmen.

Libya is where it is today in part because of February 11th. And any other movement that has/is/will start against an despotic government around the world, from North Korea (slim) to Iran or Syria, is going to take at least some inspiration from Egypt. The junta has the power, whether it wants it or not, to make the will of the people look irrelevant again, when it has real concrete political power for the first time in decades in the Middle East.

In other words, quit fuckin' around, Egyptian military.

Edit: vvvvvvvvvv OH COME ON vvvvvvvvvvv

EskimoFreeState fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 26, 2011

• Locked thread