Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007
Blackwater guys are probaby suiting up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007
If anyone wants to hate on some celebrities I was surprised to find out gaddafi ships them over every now and then on his peoples dime.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/05/hannibal-gaddafi-pays-bey_n_411602.html

Nice if beyonce put up the 2 million for aid

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007

Frackmire posted:

A lot of people are going to die, but this is history in the making. A whole system of corrupt dictators is imploding on itself and it's a beautiful thing. I think people will remember this along the lines of the collapse of USSR and the independence the Eastern Blocks nations.

I agree. The news abouts egypts new economy is really cool too. It will be cool to see a society in this age sort of start again from the ground up. Hopefully this is the beginning of huge change allover the middle east. Interesting time to be alive.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007
A college graduate that had to sell fruit to feed his family was tired of the govt loving with him so he set himself on fire.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007
i could swear there was something about him being college educated but the conditions made it impossible to find work.

fake edit** heres an article saying he was a university graduate

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/dec/28/tunisia-ben-ali

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007

CJSwiss posted:

On MSNBC right now they're interviewing some "presidential whiz kid" about American history trivia.

TV news is sad. When they get to the revolts it will be just biebers thoughts on libya and how snookies sending her thoughts and prayers to the albanians

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007
Im usually pretty non-interventionist, but this stuff is hard to read.

quote:

A friend of mine just posted this on his Facebook

schadenfraud's friend posted:

Criminal 30 mins ago he sent his mercenaries to our town which is just 20 min east tripoli they killed anyone in streets they shot a women in the head because she was in her balcony please it’s literal massacre we don’t have nothing to defend please speak to the world today they want to burn Down tripoli .. Please we can’t talk to media .. I beg all ppl to stop this massacre this might my last update we are going to defend our women and children with our bare bodies. God bless Libyan ppl. Many are dying every second. May Allah have mercy on all of us.

I get not intervening in a country where the majority arent asking for help, but should there be a line somewhere? Gaddafi seems crazy enough to literally just kill everyone...

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007

Darth123123 posted:

Really?! You think the world (including China, Russia, and other ME nations) would view our intervention positively? Irrespective of how quickly we left. Not a chance.

I think the US is hesitant because of the RIGHTFUL skepticism over the interventionist poo poo we have done in the recent past. In countries where the peoples will was murky and probably didnt want us involved.

This is completely different. gaddaffi at this point is going down no matter what. He is going to take as many innocent lives as he can before he is gone

I think its pretty sad America is too scared to intervene here because of how shady/corporate/malignant its recent history with this type of thing is. I understand it could be warped to look like typical imperialist america by certain lenses, but i think the world is so focused and informed on what is happening that it wouldn't hold any water with people.

This is a time when quick decisive action is needed and the world will stand their holding their dick to scared to make a move because of how it will be perceived.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007
It feels like its given about equal importance as a suicide bombing. I guess they are tryig to seem objective or something.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007

Toplowtech posted:

If you speak french, you can watch the current French ambassador in Tunisia (yeah the one who insulted the Tunisian people) here, defending Gaddafi on french Television a few years ago, it's quite disgusting ("Gaddafi has changed!"). Apparently, he was quite proud that Gaddafi was calling him "my son".

He looks like the evil tiger from junglebook.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007

rum sodomy the lash posted:

It's not. It's caused by an angry Arab people rising against decades of mismanagement, abuse, and oppression by tinpot tyrants and western puppet dictators. It is not the Facebook Revolution, it is not Revolution 2.0, it is a people's revolution.

Its pretty absurd to think this would have all turned out the same way without the internet catalyzing things. Im not saying its any less a people's revolution, im saying without the insane amount of mass communication things probably would have been different.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007
Yea its so much horse poo poo.

Why would creating sanctions on a country that is going to be completely reshaped in the comming days do anything.

Gaddaffi doesnt give a poo poo he will be dead inside of a week from suicide or from protesters.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007

quote:

There's been virtually no reliable information coming out of Tripoli, but a source close to the Gaddafi regime I did manage to get hold of told me the already terrible situation in Libya will get much worse. Among other things, Gaddafi has ordered security services to start sabotaging oil facilities. They will start by blowing up several oil pipelines, cutting off flow to Mediterranean ports. The sabotage, according to the insider, is meant to serve as a message to Libya's rebellious tribes: It's either me or chaos.

He starts blowing up oil pipelines it might make an intervention more likely

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007

quote:

All of this is so sudden...why all of these protests and uprisings now and not 10, 20, 50 years ago? What has changed over there?

The internet generation grew up with a much clearer picture of the world. They are now 20-30 and want change. Propaganda doesnt work well when you have infinite info in a box.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007
al jazeera is reportedly dropping shipments of the drugs into lybia from their secret hover drones.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007
What kind of sanction is going to affect gaddafi directly?

Hes gonna be holed up for x amount of time then killed or commit suicide. Heaven forbid they revoke his year pass to disneyland.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007

quote:

10:12am Germany is preparing sanctions against Libyan leaders over the attacks on protesters, Guido Westerwelle, Germany's foreign minister, said on Friday ahead of a UN Security Council meeting.

"It's no longer about setting deadlines, it's about acting now," Westerwelle told Deutschlandfunk radio. "Therefore I have decided that sanctions should be prepared now."

The time for action is now!!

Is there no negative effect to politicians effectively doing nothing about a situation but pretending to be taking a stand. Christ.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007

quote:

11:27am Al Jazeera Arabic has learned that intensive discussions are under way between defected Libyan political leaders, including ambassadors and ministers who have stepped down, to form a political body to lead the country.

Not so sure the ambassadors that stepped down should really be involved in politics anymore. Best case scenario that sat complacent to a lot of horrible poo poo, waiting for the people to stand for themselves.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007

Sivias posted:

The reason they're called 'reserves' is not because they last forever.
It's estimated that America has 21,000,000,000 (billion) barrels of oil in reserve.
Cars alone burn roughly 20,000,000 (million) barrels PER DAY.

20 Billion / 20 million = 1000 days.

or about 4 years.

Do you think the flow of oil will return to the state it's at within 4 years? Better be faster than that, because that's just cars. On top of that, every day the oil flow doesn't return, the cost goes up. Look back to the 70's oil crisis. We tapped into the reserves and you saw car's waiting in line for 15 hours or more. People everywhere pushing their cars around.

Maybe it would force us to be oil free?

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007

Slantedfloors posted:

They're not really "learning" from the other regime's mistakes, they're just blindly flailing out and trying to intimidate the protesters so they can grab some breathing room. They've all used the exact same pattern for quelling protests and unrest for decades, but it's only now that they're realizing those preparations are worth dick-all if their citizens actually want them gone.

Also this, with a focus on Egypt. Egypt is basically the lynchpin of the Middle East - where it goes, everyone else follows. They've been the most powerful Arab state since post-colonialization (and before, technically) and are by far the most influential. Other authoritarian states in the region have always been able to rely on their people not doing much overthrowing, just because Egypt hadn't done it first as an example. Now that the Egyptian people have overthrown their dictator, everyone else in the region are realizing their own dictator doesn't have a fraction of the power of Mubarak, and the dictators ae freaking out.

Actually I would say they may be learning.

The initial protests were all met with violence, and that violence(especially deaths) is what catalyzed the revolutions. Seeing your countrymen stand up for you, then be killed for you makes you a lot more likely to stand up and snowball things.

There was some other country that started using crowd control gear rather than weapons. I guess thats good, but it will stop the protests from becoming revolutions IMO.

Again its hosed up, but you have to break some eggs to make an omelet or whatever.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007

quote:

3:30pm
Sergei Chemezov, the head of state industrial holding for Russian Technologies, says that Russia is to lose $4 billion in arms exports to Libya due to the imposition of UN sanctions against Gaddafi's regime.

Poor Russia

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007
Maybe I have been watching too much 24, but isnt the easiest safest way out of this to have some CIA guy snipe Gaddaffi later when he steps out on the red carpet? Theres apparently huge crowds around when he shows up not hard to get away I would think.

Seriously I dont get how he hasnt been assassinated. Either by lybians, or by some big brother who actually does stuff.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007
I think it would be great if the people could get it done with the no fly zone, but I thought I was reading a few reports saying morale was dwindling among some of the rebel forces I think. It would suck if they could get it done with a little help fomr a nfz, but were too proud to take it and let the entire chance slip away.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007

Xandu posted:

Yemeni security forces attempted to disperse thousands protesters from Sana'a University early this morning. It did not end well, I won't post them, but pictures can be seen here and here. The police also prevented ambulances from reaching the square. The article also says that the former Minister of Defense joined the protesters, though I'm having trouble figuring out when he resigned.

This is mere days after using what was supposedly nerve gas on the protesters. They're already back in the square, so it doesn't seem to have been very effective.

gently caress yemen, they also voted against the no fly zone at the arab league meeting.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007
I figured Yemen would vote no just so they dont seem hypocritical to their people. Who are currently trying to start their own revolution but just getting squashed. How can they support rebels in another country, but treat theirs like poo poo in similar ways gaddaffi was..

I have no idea how the arab league works, and maybe the rep had no attachment to the yemen government.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007
Would it be so wrong to just bomb the poo poo out of ghaddafiis next known location that fits into some kind of acceptable loss equation.

Would we have to actually occupy and try to micromanage the democratic stuff?? I think if we just did the wet work and left the perceptions wouldn't so bad... Hes an insane person killing his people.

There is plenty of evidence to show ghadaffi was far beyond out of control, especially in those first couple weeks.

Why is the nation building part including in the intervention part?

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007
Because we normally intervene without clear reasoning. This time its pretty altruistic, especially if we dont go nation building afterward.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007
loving awesome!! look at the lybians cheering!

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007

JJ posted:

I hate reading this sort of comment on the UN. It's not up to the UN to get "off its rear end". It's up to certain members of the Security Council not to veto resolutions (i.e. Russia & China). The Europeans don't like acting outside of international law (i.e. without a UN mandate). The UN has as many teeth as the permanent members of the Security Council want it to have. No more, no less.

I dont know much about this stuff, but I thought the security council was a part of the UN?

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007
Theres one big thing in favor of the rebels though IMO. They only have to kill one man right? Does GQ have a 2nd in command that would want to continue on being an insane person? This thing started because he wanted to be able to kill his people for peaceful protesting.... Not exactly a great cause to fight for once hes gone. I imagine most of the army would say gently caress it and defect.

In most other wars theres usually enough people in command where killing one doesnt pretty much end it.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007

Xandu posted:

His point was the UN is not a monolithic organization that can just act. It requires sovereign states to get together and agree.

My point was when an organization has governing body of people you cant split them away from teh organization to defend it.

Thats like responding to an anti US government statement with "yea but thats only because of congress and the senate..."

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007

Cartouche posted:

Just thinking out loud here.
Is this a situation where cutting off the head of the snake would kill it? Or would everything continue on as it is with Gadaffy dead? I am wondering if a lot of bloodshed could be avoided if we cut to the chase.

Another part of me wonders how this is being reported to North Koreans.

This has been my opinion for a while. His army is still behind him because he has been in power longer than most of them have been alive. If he died and his son tried to take over I cant imagine the people staying out of reverence for his fathers leadership. Especially when this started because GQ lost his right to be an insane person.

I also dont get why we haven't sent a small team of Jack Bauer's in to assassinate him rather than dick around with a slow and costly real war.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007
AJE has a daily blog thats pretty good, and has kept track of most the major events in Libya since this started...

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007

Concerned Citizen posted:

It's stupid to assume that Qaddafi is simply going to slaughter everyone. In the towns he has re-claimed, we have not seen these "purges" that everyone claims are going to happen. It's just justification for intervening where we don't belong. We picked a side in a civil war and now we're trying to justify it because they're the good guys and Qaddafi is the bad guy. As if.

You should really go read the week this started on the AJE blog I posted about. Qaddaffi started this for his right to kill peaceful protesters with anti-aircraft weapons.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007

Baddog posted:

OK, intervening militarily in an oil rich country is only appropriate when European countries will benefit/are backing it. Gotcha.

Its so easy to spot the people who haven't been following this thing since its start. Its pretty easy to hear middle east war and instantly think iraq, but unless your only qualifiers are brown people, and sand this is a pretty different situation. Seriously go read the AJE blog of the first week. The amount of human suffering recorded and put on youtube/facebook/tweet made not intervening pretty out of the question. Libya also only has like 2% of the worlds oil so It would be great of people would stop making that argument.

This is a good chance for america to show that it can make a purely altruistic move, and I still hope we can get through it without monetizing it in some horrible way.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007

Greyfox1625 posted:

"Sorry, but that page doesn't exist"? Oh, had to delete the last character to get it to work. I'd really like to see an official report on whats happening in Zaiwiyah

Well they aren't letting foreign journalists in, so that leaves Libyan state tv. According to their official report its partly cloudy and a little humid for this time of year.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007
I hate the amount of money that gets spent on the military as much as the next guy, but this is the first thing since I've started paying taxes I could go along with so yea.. IMO its in bad taste to start making money spending arguments about Libya.

I feel for Obama though. He seems completely hosed no matter what. The daily show is ripping him first for spending money on Lybia, then for not spending money on the other nations that have the fires of revolution sparking up. He literally can not win.

Its really easy to be a critic in this situation, especially with Americas past in the ME.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007

melon cat posted:

Can anyone tell me why a bunch of my Facebook friends are accusing coalition forces of waging war for no reason? Do they not realize that Gaddaffi's a batshit-insane dictator and the air strikes have specifically targeted Lybian military installations?

Or do I need new friends? :ohdear:

People that didnt follow all the crazy poo poo that led to the current situation seem to be content just calling it iraq and the government imperialists because thats been the stereotypical progressive educated person line for a while.

Its a knee-jerk reaction by a lot of people to hear US military and MiddleEast. Just know above all they are probably ignorant of the situation. They are the type that wait for their smart friends to breakdown a situation before considering their preconceptions.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007

Baddog posted:

You implied and other people actually stated that I was a racist for believing that we could be backing the same sort of religious fundamentalists we are fighting almost everywhere else.

The chief counterterrorism advisor "worried that the Libyan rebels remained largely unknown to American officials, and could have ties to Al Qaeda."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/19/world/africa/19policy.html?scp=30&sq=libya%20decision&st=cse

It seems to me that guys who stop in the middle of a firefight to do the whole formal prayer ritual, especially when they are getting their asses beat and are in imminent danger of being killed along with all their friends, might be some sort of religious fundamentalists.

So yah, I guess I am in the same "ignorant racist" camp as the chief counterterrorism advisor. Although I'm not sure what being dubious of religious fundamentalism, of any stripe, has to do with race.

Ill make it really easy for you to understand in the most biggoted way possible.

The rebels - possible religious fundamentalists

Gaddafi - literally clinically insane person with 40 years of built up misguided respect willing to kill any people that disagree with him. Also unbiasly killing anyone who wont kill people for disagreeing with him. This is way beyond a manipulative dictator.

Im with the fundamentalist religion can bring the crazy, but gaddafi IS literally most definitely an insane person.

I think psychologically hes probably similar to charlie sheen with an army and a desire to kill anyone who didnt think he was a dark wizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007

St1cky posted:

I'm pointing out that Obama is claiming that we're acting as humanitarians by bombing Libya when we pretty much ignore a lot of other problems around the world. I guess i'm just a little cynical towards our foreign policy.

You should really check out the Aljezera blog on lybyia. It is an extremely well documented timeline, with plenty of horrifying youtube videos. It was the clearest picture of what was happening for a long while. Its painfully obvious the people who weren't paying attention until recently.

• Locked thread