Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
^^^ Yes it is standard procedure to blow up downed aircraft like that.

euphronius posted:

Oh god that is horrible. Are those Americans going to get in trouble/prosecuted?
It's apparently legal to drop ordinance on your own military craft, so they cannot get in trouble for that. If the helicopter crew did shoot civvies then it'll be up to the specifics of the engagement. I know at one time the RoI allowed the military to engage if the pilots feared for their safety, but that may have been changed in the last few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
As farraday mentioned the reason they're doing this to a dog is most likely because of the many passages that Muhammad wrote about dogs in the Holy Quran. Basically this training is teaching the men "Put your faith in Country before God." Lots of societies have all sorts of bizarre rituals to do similar things for thousands of years so it isn't surprising. Still weird as hell.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
The whole NATO debate is dumb precisely because they're still going to use the organizational structure and intel that NATO provides. To quote Shakespeare, "What's in a name? That which we call a rose / By any other name would smell as sweet." Call it whatever the Arab League wants, the same process will likely go down.

Actually it's worse if NATO isn't directly involved since this removes some serious accountability to the mission. Geneva and other treaties still have be followed but specific NATO mission directives get to be tossed out the window since this mission isn't technically under the umbrella of NATO.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Brown Moses posted:

Bit of news from Misrata:

quote:

01:11 Direct from Misratah CONFIRMED: Gaddafi’s forces which are stationed in the square near the Central Hospital have been targeted with air strikes. The fighter jets are still flying above Misratah

Col Gaddafi's words in front of his damaged Bab Al-Aziziya compound in Tripoli: "I do not fear storms that sweep the horizon, nor do I fear the planes that throw black destruction. I am resistant, my house is here in my tent [...] I am the rightful owner, and the creator of tomorrow. I, I am here!".
Gaddhafi really does enjoy living in tents.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
^^^ Without even some milk and cookies?! loving Libyans.

quote:

The Telegraph came out of the closet to report:

Scores of ambulances converged on the area, near the central bus station and a city conference hall in a Jewish neighbourhood of Jerusalem. Around 25 people had been wounded, according to medical sources, 15 of them seriously. No deaths were reported.

The explosion appears to be the first bus bombing in the region in several years and comes amid rising tensions between Hamas militants and Israel. Palestinians carried out dozens of bombings in Jerusalem at the height of an uprising that began in 2000, but the city has been quieter recently.

Witnesses said people could be seen lying on the floor covered in blood, and many cars and buses had shattered windows. It was not yet clear whether a suicide bomber was behind the attack.

The entrance to the city has been closed, according to the Haaretz newspaper. It comes after Israeli warplanes launched fresh air strikes in Gaza city in response to a rocket attack from Palestinian militants.

Benjamin Netanyahu, the Israeli prime minister, vowed decisive action against militants and suggested that future operations would not be surgical. "No state would tolerate ongoing rocket fire on its cities and its citizens, and the state of Israel obviously will not tolerate it," Mr Netanyahu said in parliament following the latest escalation.
Sort of a non sequitur, but then again maybe this is the beginning of another Palestinian uprising.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Hillary speaking right now talking about how NATO will take over.

"Humanitarian relief is finally pouring in." It seems Benghazi will be the new capital?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Baddog posted:

I'm saying this is loving silly to get involved in something that probably isn't even a moderate democratic movement. We don't even know wtf it is, because nobody stopped to get any real intelligence on them.
There's been plenty of intelligence on who the rebels are. Unfortunately neither my clearance or yours(or anyones) has made it available to the public.

What we know about the rebels right now is that they hate Gaddhafi, they seem like they're neutral or pro-West, and it's a loose Coalition of tribal elders and Western educated ex-patriots. No one in the World knows what will happen after things calm down in a post-Gaddhafi rule. We know there will some amount of pro-Gaddhafi insurgents that will try poo poo. We know there will be some type of Republican State created since they don't want another dictator, and with so many different factions a democratic republican state of government is the most logical thing to enact.

It's way too early to think about what policies they'll have.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Wait a minute, why the gently caress didn't the journalist's security tell them to get the gently caress out of the hotel? This is such a bizarre story.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Namarrgon posted:

Probably because getting your security guys to roughhand Gaddafi's men is a good way to get yourself shot in the head.
This is actually a cause that any western human being should stand up for, even if it costs them their life. If a woman says she was raped, then people come to take her away it's absolutely the moral duty of the journalists to do whatever they can to prevent it. They should have grabbed her and took her to their rooms.

Qaddhafi can't just kill one person in this scenario. He'd have to kill everyone in the hotel. If he's willing to massacre a couple dozen foreign journalists in the middle of a quiet hotel then really nothing is going to stop him. Defending a possibly raped and tortured woman is the right thing to do.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
That sniper situation is a really awful one if they're any way coordinated with one another. Snipers in an urban environment could shut down the whole city and they can feasibly only be took out one by one with gunfire.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
I would love to know about what is happening in the South. Is Gaddhafi still getting an influx of arms and troops from the Southern bordered African countries?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Bobfromsales posted:

Which reminds me, what the hell happened to Mubarek?
Currently flying over Earth in the ISS.

Ticonderoguy posted:

Smart Money is on Venezuela or some under developed African Nation, like Chad or Nigeria
Egyptian Court said he could not leave and his lawyers have confirmed he is still in Sharm El Sheikh.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Ticonderoguy posted:

Are you talking about Gaddafi or Mubarak? Because I'm talking about Gaddafi
Oops I'm sorry I thought you were talking about Mubarak also.

Gaddhafi is holed up somewhere in uh, I forget the city name.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Obama can take a backseat and put troops on the ground. Those two things aren't mutually exclusive.

I suspect he'll end up putting some small contingency force on the ground if they aren't there already. Certainly there's going to be US military "liaisons" teaching the eastern Libyans some military knowledge, and probably even a couple of Green Zones will be set up.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Brown Moses posted:

Confirmed, Gaddafi is NOT a woman:
I guess Gaddafi hasn't heard of "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned."

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
I hope that pastor is put in jail for the rest of his life.

RIP Vilerat, may not have agreed with you all the time but when I did it felt like we were on to something positive. :wcc:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Xandu posted:

I can't find anything on him, is he a journalist?
Yes he is a journalist. Him and several other journalists were apparently bought or kidnapped directly by ISIL. I think this shows how much power the new Caliph doesn't have within his organization. It's hard to believe he wouldn't let these people go for some kind of back door deals to further his cause. He himself was let go from prison so he knows what mercy can look like.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
David Cameron will be speaking later today on this.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
The UN just doesn't do anything without a massive amount of resolutions and I think Russia will veto any resolution because they don't want the US meddling in Syria any more than it already is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Shear Modulus posted:

Russia is pretty happy with the status quo, yes, but the calculus may change if ISIS keeps making gains against Assad at the rate they are.
The other interesting thing is that there are roughly 1,000 or more Chechen rebels in ISIS controlled territory currently. Russia could be persuaded to get involved because of that factor.

• Locked thread