Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
You could also just throw a couple dead cows/people in. That'd poison things up pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
This is true... but I was thinking it was easier to get dead people than cyanide at the moment, in Libya. Maybe they were dumping a truckload or something.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Mmhm. If I were there, I'd be busily figuring out where Gadaffi was going to be sending his tanks, and pre-ranging the artillery. And waiting. And maybe sending a relief column somewhere out to the desert to hide and wait, half an hour away. Gadaffi's going to send _everything_ to raze Benghazi. Might as well make him pay for that.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Isn't there already an American aircraft carrier in the Med? I was under the impression they kept one around in that area. France has one, too, of course.

The Enterprise is within range, I believe.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Of course, what has to be done now is that the Egyptians need to get a fatwah that voting to their best interests, not as the Muslim Brotherhood say, is the right way, according to Allah. Get it out now, fast, and before the Muslim Brotherhood cook the actual elections.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Kenning posted:

I don't think you know how fatwas work.

A fatwa may be issued by literally anyone. In general fatawa are issued by scholars in response to a specific question someone has asked them to rule on.
<snip>
Also you're too scared of the Muslim Brotherhood.
No, that's pretty much exactly how I thought they worked. A well-publicized statement by a respected religious leader that "no, you don't have to do what the Muslim Brotherhood says or go to hell" might be, you know, a good idea, considering that they seem to have pulled the election that way doing just that, and seem to be aiming to dominate Parliament. I'm sure Ham has a better view on things than I do, of course.

I'm not scared of 'em, I'm just saying, the best time to counterattack is when the opponent (and these guys do appear to be the youth league's opponents) has revealed his hand and his tactics, and yet has not engaged them in the next campaign.

Get 'em early. These guys have been planning this for a while, I think. Remember... who was it who said not to splinter, to form a middle of the road party, and flex your muscle with it? Listen to him. He was right.

Maybe there's something more effective than a statement from a noted religious leader, saying 'no, you won't burn in hell' to counter people saying 'you'll burn in hell'. Maybe a statement saying 'The Muslim Brotherhood were lying when they said you'd burn in hell.' But that'd be a fatwah too. I dunno. All I can think of is, it's time to organize. Don't count the war over yet, Ham.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 22, 2011

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

farraday posted:

"We're not Tunisia"
"We're not Egypt or Tunisia"
"We're not Bahrain, Egypt, or Tunisia"
"We're not Yemen, Bahrain, Egypt, or Tunisia"
"We're not Libya, Yemen, Bahrain, Egypt, or Tunisia"
"We're not Syr.. ahh gently caress it."

Mohamed Bouazizi, Time Man of the Year, 2011.
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2043557,00.html

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Shageletic posted:

I see the lack of regime change talk as putting a line in the sand. The US will not pour all of its resources in overthrowing Ghaddafi. We'll help the Libyans with air strikes, but its up to them to do it.

That, and saying 'Look, G, man. We ain't actively trying to kill you. You want to leave? We'll help you leave. C'mon, get out.'

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Jenzar El posted:

(because terrorism has been removed from the liberal dictionary)

I cannot figure out why the urgency of this conflict other than that we got bullied into doing the right thing by the French (ARE YOU KIDDING ME?) Do you know their track record of military history? They would be speaking German right now and eating kraut if it were not for us.

My colleagues have been there and documented this tragedy.

The first two statements are so incredibly... messed up that they bear repeating. The last statement makes me wonder who you are claiming as colleagues. Do you, personally, do this, or did you copy it from somewhere else?

If it wasn't for the French, we'd be speaking English right now!

Jenzar El posted:

Believe it or not. ORIGINAL THOUGHT!

It's not very original, really.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

t3ch3 posted:

This would be a good opportunity for the United States to take the high road and sign and ratify the Ottawa Treaty.

Can't do it. Land mines are a critical part of the US defense of South Korea. Only place in the world they are, but they are incredibly essential there.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Welp. One way to get battle hardened troops is to throw them into battle. It kills off the less able ones.

Rebellions take time, generally. Let's not count everything out yet.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
The CIA has a long history of exaggerating their failures, especially domestically. I know a little bit about them, from friends of family, and from just general history, memory and observation, and while everything in, for example, Legacy of Ashes, was completely true, I noted that certain successes were completely ignored. Not mentioned at all.

This does not make them any more competent, it just points out that if you read their publicity, you will view them as complete failures.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

A Winner is Jew posted:

I can't believe I just said I was looking forward to reading the CIA's assessment of a civil war.

The real and original job of the Central Intelligence Agency was to provide the President the world's best newspaper. This is something that should not be forgotten. A problem with the organization is that it is schizophrenic, the operations side has turf battles with the intelligence side, and, historically, has been run by goofy-rear end cowboys.

But their assessments, provided they do not get unduly biased by the operatives personal opinions, which they might, should be pretty good.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Chortles posted:

To me, the other explanation for the CIA's competence issues makes more sense (institutional schizophrenia, turf battles between operations and analysis), though to be frank I also believe that the "bleeding" of experienced personnel (which conservatives may blame on the Church Committee, though I wouldn't) and the need to get "operators" in post-9/11 had to do with it in recent years as well.

There's also the well known issue of the recent over-Mormonation of the agency. Mormons are patriotic, honest, reliable, and they can be found speaking many rare languages. Sadly, they are also prone to groupthink and a certain, how shall I say it, not lack of creative thinking, exactly, but certainly inside-the-box tendencies.

This has created a good amount of uniform perspective at the Agency, which isn't really the best thing.

(Of course, I'm just zis person on the internet, don't take my word for it, etcetera.)

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I have the feeling there are more trained soldiers than the few that just showed up. This is just the first graduating class. And the longer it goes, the more trained soldiers will show up. The longer the stalemate goes, the better the chances the Rebels have. At the moment.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Huh. New avatar, Ham?

This is good news. I was very concerned that the NDP might get voted back into office. The devil you know, after all. It's not uncommon, as I seem to recall from both Germany post WWII and Iraq: after a period like that, they're the only people who know how to run things.

On the other hand, well, you have to watch out for the Neo-NDP reforming, and you still have the Muslim Brotherhood to watch out for. I hope that you guys are forming a strong central party of your own.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Building to the southwest with threats toward the west looks like the way to go to me. The first reasonably trained troops should be graduating from training about now-ish, which means we're going to see some actual military skills and possible use of armor on the Free side. Threaten towards the west... it might work. It probably won't, but it'll cause stress for the Quad armies. Then bull through on the southwest, where the armies should be overstressed as it is.

Best way to leverage NATO, best way to make Quad destroy his own armies.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

quote:

Iran's parliament voted on Wednesday in favor of taking Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to court over what lawmakers say is a violation of the country's constitution stemming from the president's move last month to declare himself caretaker oil minister.
http://beta.news.yahoo.com/iran-parliament-votes-send-ahmadinejad-court-095323107.html
So, we got that happening.
No word on the witchcraft.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Interesting side note on the Palestinian charge the other day. The land mines set off by the molotov cocktails the protesters threw, were on the Syrian side of the border. Presumably, therefore, they were Syrian. Is Syria a signatory to the anti-landmines treaty?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Do we have any estimates on what G's forces were like at the beginning of the conflict? How many tanks can he have left?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/8611199/Sudanese-army-seizes-southern-Libyan-town.html

What's this about the Sudanese invading Kufra? That's a 400 mile incursion, and apparently an important city, strategically.
Can we get a confirmation on this?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Hm. Someone wrote an article on the government growing up in Libya. It's temporary, but... well, looks good.
http://www.peacefare.net/?p=3912

quote:

Local councils have grown up in liberated areas as well as in Gaddafi-held territory, including Tripoli (where there are thought to be four). They are the ones governing at the local level. The February 17 coalition of lawyers and judges is influential. A relatively moderate Muslim brotherhood seems to dominate the Islamists part of the political spectrum, at least for the moment. Technocrats from the Gaddafi regime, military officers, militia leaders, “syndicates” (regime-sponsored guilds of lawyers, doctors, etc.), secular democrats will all have roles to play.
Dunno how accurate it is, but it seems reasonable.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
And the rubble is bouncing in Waddan.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Watch the south.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Now, if Khamis was present, forget if he's dead or not, but if he was present, this means that Ziltan is where the elite troops are. Brega's probably a hollow shell with a shitload of mines.

How many elite troops can there be?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/top/all/7687163.html
Here's an article.
Money quote:
King Abdullah also said that Riyadh does not accept what is happening in Syria, according to the statement read out on the pan Arab Al Arabiya network late Sunday.

The monarch also said the Syrian government crackdown on protesters is disproportionate.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Indeed. And once people stop paying attention to it, and funneling money to it, once people stop being able to profit off it, maybe then something can get done.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
And this last page is why I think Kane et al are wise to keep the I/P issue out of their protests. It just generates heat and noise. And there are a lot of people with vested interests in using it to do so, both in and outside Israel. For example, everyone remembers the recent Syrian assault on the border wall, and the resulting deaths, which was pretty blatantly planned as a way to distract people from what was going on inside Syria.

The I/P issue will be dealt when when the current people are out of power. Work on that, because people can do that. What they can't do is change Likud's minds.

Work with what you can change. Remember what you can't. Stay practical, but never let practicality destroy the path built by your ideals.

Build a future, Kane. Do your best. One day, there will be peace in the middle east. It is not impossible.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
When did the rebels get Brega refinery? Or is it just unusable?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
So it's completely useless, then. Excepting if they can persuade people to leave Gaddafi and join with them.

Cause the only person who has the power is Gadaffi. He was very careful to arrange it so all things come from him.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Seriously, what the gently caress, Egypt? Ham, what's going on?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Lemme rephrase this: How do Egyptians feel about Israel chasing militants after they kill people in Israel?

http://news.yahoo.com/armed-men-cross-egyptian-border-kill-8-israelis-202922741.html
Decent article. Looks like the Iron Dome antimissile system works.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 19, 2011

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Ham posted:

As a result of the Egyptian soldiers Israel "accidentally" killed:

- Big demonstrations at the Israeli embassy in Cairo, calling for the Israeli ambassador to be kicked out of Egypt and the severing of economical relationships with Israel.

- Egyptian ambassador withdrawn from Israel on government's orders. Egyptian government requests Israeli officials apologize for rash statements/actions and the killing of the Egyptian soldiers. They also want a full investigation into the incident.
Oh, good. That's much better than 'destroy Israel'. I was concerned that this could blow up much further than that. If it does, then it's Israel's fault at this point.

... well, and the guerrilla's fault. Darn it, the only way to settle this thing is to establish peace. And, admittedly, for an entirely new Israeli cabinet.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://www.voltairenet.org/Libya-NATO-massacre-of-Zliten

I have a crazy 'all America does is wrong' guy waving this article in my face. Is there any substance to it? (Warning: site is owned by a french guy who thinks 9/11 was done by Americans, wrote a book about it.)

Edit: Yes, we do. Non-HAMAS aligned terrorist group. Wait. No. Er. Hm. Well, Israel is saying HAMAS is responsible. Which they are: it came from their territory. As a governing body, they are responsible. But as far as who actually did it?
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5j6DgnhuB4vzCrNbwtiToydxj6AVA?docId=CNG.06f34de0123171e0730efd83bf61c8c3.261
Here we go.

quote:

Among those claiming responsibility for the rocket attacks, was the Popular Resistance Committees, a radical militant group blamed by Israel for the killing of eight Israelis near the Egyptian border on Thursday.

Islamic Jihad and the leftist Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine also issued statements saying they took part in the salvo.
Israel blames the Popular Resistance Committees for Thursday's desert ambushes and has killed seven of its men in strikes since then, but the group denies responsibility although it has welcomed the operation.

I've got to say this is doing nothing good for the Palestinian approach to the UN. Which may be why it happened. Some people don't want the fighting to end.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 20, 2011

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

MothraAttack posted:

BBC says that probably about 30 people were killed, mostly men, but that the reality of what happened remains a bit vague. Civilians were injured and most likely some died, though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14486170

Thank you very much for finding this.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I remember fondly one of my social studies textbooks in junior high that stated that Mussolini resigned from his post.

This is _technically true_.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Brown Moses posted:

This Economist article is a great primer for understanding the structure of NTC and it's military.

The whole thing is worth a read by anyone with an interest in Libya and it's future.

Kind of reminds me of how the American rebel army was structured ca 1776.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Cable Guy posted:

Mmmmmm... I forget my site admin days in detail. You might be able to request a SQL dump from webspace admin for your posts in this thread that have a link (maybe using using "http://" as a filter). That would come in database table form. You'd need to talk to Radium's replacement for that I guess. As a mod, you might be able to talk to Senor Lowtax or EPG about arranging that. You might be able to do it across all posts, but you'd be getting redundant ones like my suck eggs link.

edit: me spell gooderer english now
How about the Let's Play forum's autoarchiver? I don't know how it works, having never messed with it, but it's established technology. Anyone use it here?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Brown Moses, with just a little work, you could, no lies, write a NY Times Bestseller List style book from this. You've got as close to the inside story as anyone, and you could probably figure out who to interview further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/inside-obamas-war-room-20111013?print=true

A very, very long article on Obama's decision making on Libya. Apparently he did tell Congress to go screw.

• Locked thread