Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Nice geography skills by the American media, yet again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Hahaha I remember reading that thread and I thought he head given up. This is awesome.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Here is the picture I remember him posting.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, it looks like his arm is moving in that video but I can't tell if that's from the impact of him hitting the ground or it's a real reaction.

It looks like he's barely alive in that still image that was posted. In the other one? Looks kinda dead.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Fog Tripper posted:

Yeah, well, the video I have seen televised shows him quite dead-looking. I stand corrected if indeed he was paraded around and then executed.

I heard of a NATO airstrike and then rebel mopup.

Looks alive to me.

:nms:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVIkck02qao:nms:

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Something about seeing a pathetic, defeated, and terrified man shot/beaten to death makes me sick no matter who it is.

I'm not condoning what he did. He was by many accounts a ruthless person.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Nenonen posted:

Still, I would have preferred to have read in the newspaper that he died in his sleep.

In the prison cell where he had spent the last couple of decades.

I can't tell if you're calling me an idiot, or that you agree with me somewhat in that it'd be better for him to wallow in a dank cell for the remainder of his life.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
A few more videos. He was captured alive, as was Mutassim. It is what it is, I guess.

:nws:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyloRjHg8Zk

:nws:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcoaSSD0S7w

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Rrail posted:

Does he have an entry wound on the left side of his face (I think he does)? Is there an exit wound on the right? How in the hell did he stay concious through that?

Also Qaddafi has like the most unnatural movements I have ever seen in a human being.

I'm not sure. There's a video in the D&D thread where they beat the tar out of him after the pull him out of the culvert. Someone elsewhere thought they might have ripped his left ear off in the process.

But yeah. The Mutassim situation bothers me more. He looks pretty damned healthy in that video. Killed trying to escape. Riiiight. Just admit what you did and move on.

reagan fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 21, 2011

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

VoodooSchmoodoo posted:

I got the impression that he had a pretty swift death which is more than can be said for some of his victims.

Everyone keeps talking about his Amazonian bodyguards, but I think they all buggered off at least a couple of months ago. I think I saw it on a news report or maybe this thread, but I'm not too sure.

It was a while after his sexy nurses got the gently caress out of dodge.

Belated congrats to Brown Moses on your new addition!

Well, you have horrible stories like this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2031197/Gaddafis-girl-executioner-Nisreen-19-admits-shooting-11-rebel-prisoners.html

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Yeah and she needs to look sad or scared and be in chains.

Needs more burqa.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Kuwait, eh? Let the people do what they want.

I know jack poo poo about Kuwaiti politics. Has the population been supportive of the US after 1991? Not that I think we should intervene; just curious.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I thought the Kuznetsov was down for a few years so that it could be refitted. It's kind of a piece of poo poo. Guess I was wrong.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

suboptimal posted:

This is the most dramatic tank explosion I've ever seen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u_tivK6W_o

I think this deserves to be on a new page. That was quite a thing. Turret gets hit by RPG -> rounds in turret explode (?) -> tank begins accelerating like crazy in part due to the poo poo cooking off inside (note the smoke pouring out of the barrel) -> and tank explodes when the fire reaches the lovely Soviet era ammo compartment.

Any tanker guys have a better explanation? That was insane.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Fangz posted:

I don't think there's any mechanical means to make the tank accelerate. The driver presumeably put his foot down the moment he realised he's been hit, in a vain effort to get away.

Look at this Panther kill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90vnW1UR5hY

Ammo being burnt basically looks like this. Presumeably the ammo in the turret burns first (this is where the hit apparently occurred). Eventually the fire spreads to the main ammo stores in the hull, and then boom.

I don't understand what you mean by mechanical means. You mean the smoke pouring out of the barrel that I mentioned? I just thought that might have imparted a little extra bit of acceleration since, as you said, the driver probably floored it when they realized what happened.

As for the video, yes I've seen it many times. In fact I think we discussed it in one of Grey Hunter's threads at some point?

Anyway, I don't want to drag this too far into a "how does tank blow up?" discussion. I watched that lovely video of the soldiers taping their war crimes that was posted in the thread. Always a good decision. Glad they were laughing and having a grand old time, though! :stare:

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Spakstik posted:

It's difficult to tell based on the quality of the video, but the vehicle looks like a BMP rather than a tank (the title of the video also labels it as such but omits any model number). I've only peered inside a BMP once or twice but if I remember right they pretty much store all of the ammo in a ring around the inside of the turret, not in any special compartment like you'd see on a modern tank. It's definitely the ammo cooking off initially, followed by the gas tank(s?) if I had to guess. I used to be a tank crewman, but they never really told us what it would look like when we got blown the gently caress up.

Not to get too far off topic, but that looks like a MBT to me. T-72 or something similar.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Young Freud posted:

I'm pretty sure the European military-industrial complex is very much like the American military-industrial complex, gouging the consumer whenever they can. I've got no doubt Kraft-Mafftei, Rheinmetall, and the Bundeswehr are doing everything they can to sell the Saudis surplus Leopard 2s with new bolt-on armor and localization hardware that costs another 8 billion euros.

I've heard elsewhere that there are still warehouses throughout Western Europe full of 80s era Abrams and Bradleys in the old woodland camouflage. No proof, but I would not doubt it.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Yeah, I'm not sure if I would use the actual NATO reporting symbols quite yet. I'd recommend cannibalizing stuff from strategy games. There's a new game, Wargame: European Escalation, that a few guys on the forum have. It has pretty much every Cold War unit imaginable. Beyond that maybe take a look at World in Conflict, but most everything from there should already be in European Escalation.

http://wargame-ee.com/index.php?rub=database-home

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Oh I hope they got a video of them taking out one of those planes.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Brown Moses posted:

Gah, just missed out on being interviewed live on Al Jazeera Newshour tonight because I can't Skype tonight. Apparently someone from the International Campaign to Ban Landmines recommended me, AJE wanted to interview me about cluster bombs in Syria.

I think it's time I shave more frequently and get a haircut.

drat, son. Get a haircut, a suit, and shave. You are bigtime now!

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Brown Moses posted:

This week I was also interviewed by Wired about social media and the Syrian conflict, not sure if it'll make it to print, and Reuters asked me to take part in a live video discussion about MANPADS they'll put on their website. I'm also part of an awareness campaign with CJ Chivers and others that will be launching soon about the dangers of filming UXO, etc.

As I said, you have quite literally made it bigtime. I wasn't joking in the previous post - if you thought I was being sarcastic my apologies.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
When I saw the news my thoughts jumped to this thread, so I headed here to see what the experts thought. Little did I know it was one of us. What the gently caress.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Holy loving poo poo I go to bed and the situation gets even worse. I fear that if one more person slips up and does some stupid poo poo, things are going to spiral out of control.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

evilweasel posted:

Those are confirmed, but it's also confirmed those are his body being dragged to the hospital.

Yeah. The pictures are out there if people really want to see him. People aren't dragging the poor guy around like Black Hawk Down; rather they are lifting him up and carrying him on their shoulders to try and save him.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Yeah, I go to NDSU. Everything was a mess this morning, but this might be someone local. Someone called in bomb threats to the Fargo airport and the Grand Forks airport over the last few days.

But holy hell maybe it is time to just shut poo poo down for a few months and lay low in the Middle East. This is getting nuts.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

-Troika- posted:

Goddamn who let all the LF out of the bag. Sorry about your thread, Brown Moses :(

If you think this is bad, you should see what the real crazies of LF are saying over at their lovely parachute board.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
If it is any consolation, I think Vilerat would be laughing his rear end off at Glenn Beck right now.

You know what? I hope he really is laughing his rear end off right now. :unsmith:

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Invalido posted:

More generally, it's not like there's any particular shortage of hypocrites among self-professed muslims.

Here's a pretty way to fly a flag from a tank:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQL8GfZEwsM

Ahahah. That is actually not a bad idea for IFF purposes. Plus, that was a decent tank what with the reactive armor and all. I wish they would have shown the aftermath.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
And just yesterday one of my non-politically inclined friends asked me how the Middle East, and Syria in particular, was doing. Now, aside from how silly that question was yesterday, it just got a lot sillier.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Holy poo poo that was quite the hit. Looks like they thought they could get away with slowly orbiting the target ala Somalia and ended up getting their tail rotor shredded. Albeit that was slightly more catastrophic than the Blackhawks...

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Brown Moses posted:

You've gotta feel bad for the crew, that's a pretty horrible way to go.

It looked like a hell of a ride, but when they hit it was instant. At least there's that.

Although dropping out of the sky in a hulk of screeching metal doesn't exactly sound like the way I'd like to spend my final moments. That's why air crashes terrify me.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Mans posted:

That must've been a massive bomb, the tank even "jumped". It seems it was put right in the middle of the street. How could they miss such an obvious trap?

I guess the people who face IEDs don't live to pass the experience.

5-6 years ago I saw a video of an Abrams getting thrown into the air by an IED. I imagine it was a buried bomb of some sort, but holy hell the whole tank jolted up and forward and the turret flew off and everything.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Warcabbit posted:

I was actually talking about the advanced missile systems that are now being seen in Syrian hands. The SA-16s and 24s. Sorry, easy to get my comment wrong in context. Yes, they'll threaten pilots more, but I'm thinking they might wind up actually being used as ground to ground weapons, not ground to air.

They already covered that, too. Surface to air missiles don't work that way!

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Fizzil posted:

The local population is around 1-2 million, the rest are expatriats. I was in the uae army formerly and i say this with experience, the whole gulf defense force with saudi, oman and qatar included wouldnt probably be able to deal with iran in a military action. Their only real experience was Kuwait in 1991 and it wasn't an easy offensive.

This is what I was thinking. They aren't going to sit around while Iran attacks the UAE.

LP97S posted:

I never said that Iran was going to attack the UAE. I should have been more clear with the vice-versa, I mean that the UAE wouldn't fight too hard while Iran probably would in any little conflict or even skirmish out there, either in the Gulf or Iranian territory.

I was referring to someone on the previous page.

reagan fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 5, 2012

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

A student posted:

It was actually the first article I found minutes after getting this text message from MSNBC's sms breaking news service.

It was the lead story on the NBC Nightly News. I was going to post about it but you beat me to it.

Stratfor's naval map shows a couple ships in the Mediterranean.

reagan fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 6, 2012

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Libluini posted:

Hey, do you guys remember that weird stuff I was posting about the German parliament deciding if German Patriots are going to Turkey?

It happened.

To paraphrase, yes an overwhelming majority of the Bundestag voted in favor of sending German soldiers to the Syrian border region.

Now two German Patriot-batteries will be joining the effort of the Netherlands and the USA around January. Every battery includes eight mobile launchers and upwards to 400 German soldiers will be stationed alongside them to man them.

The German launchers will be deployed near the city of Kahramanmaras in the south of Turkey, somewhat about 100km from the Syrian border. The German mandate has included the German soldiers already in Turkey. (Germany is helping out securing the Turkish airspace with some of its AWACS-reconnaissance aircrafts.)

Third time is the charm, eh Jerry? You won't fool us this time!

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Charlz Guybon posted:

NBC News Chief Foreign Corespondent Richard Engle has gone missing in Syria! :ohdear:

https://gawker.com/5969029/richard-engel-is-missing-in-syria-nbc-news-enforces-news-blackout

God damnit I've been worried about something like this. The guy is always in some overseas hotspot.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Xandu posted:

They've been freed already, apparently.

I figured he was already dead. Glad he's safe.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Young Freud posted:

This has got to be a loving joke. They photoshopped beards on to Hugo Chavez and Bashir Assad and then photoshopped hijabs on to Assad's all-women counterinsurgency detail.

Also, there's a Rage Comic face on there. What the gently caress is going on?

The "take beeeeeeeer" thrown around in a bunch of the posts didn't tip you off? ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Brown Moses posted:

This is worth a read, looking at two videos that show the same incident from both sides of the battle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn1NWU3nGQc&t=327s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxm2bbU9V1M&t=45s

Good grief. I think I'd throw that sucker in reverse and distance myself from that mess.

• Locked thread