Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

RoofieMyselfForFun posted:

I will laugh so loving hard if Egypt becomes a more respectable and stable economy in five years, especially providing regular humanitarian needs like heathcare. I would love to see opponents to UHC dispute that

Too bad Egypt just lost all of its US aid :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD
And no American media channels are covering this...

is there an IRC channel?

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD
The Hague said Gaddafi may have fled?

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

Cartouche posted:

Covering what exactly? Tweets from anon users?

Yeah there's not much to cover just a loving revolution in the middle east...

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

Al-Saqr posted:

:words:

How many Saudis are actually poor? I thought most of them were expats from around the region...

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

Cartouche posted:

You are mistaken. Hell, Gravy Jones just posted the stations that are covering it. WTF? Have you only been checking Spike, LOGO and cartoon network?
VVVVVVVVVVV

I've been watching all the news channels for the past hour. CNN just made the first reference, mainly discussing how all of this will affect oil prices.

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD
Oh hell Bahrain canceled their F1 grand prix, way to go that's one less money pit for white people

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

Gravy Jones posted:

Yeah, I realise they were talking about TV. I just find it really strange that they cover it online, but don't even mention it on TV. Don't they have any world news? Probably a topic for another thread and best not to derail anymore.

Right now theirs a text message competition on CNN to decide whether to talk about a big cruise liner, an old car, or old people eating.

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD
Libyan ambassador tells the UN that Qaddafi is committing genocide.

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD
Guy on AJE just said they're using anti-aircraft weapons on protesters :psyduck:

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

Samurai Sanders posted:

I didn't even know that you could point anti-aircraft guns at targets on the ground. Or can the protesters fly?

The Germans put one on their loving tanks in WWII

edit: beaten like the americans to space

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD
Little kid martyred in Benghazi by sniper :smith:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj3dtz1-EF0&feature=related&skipcontrinter=1

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

Toplowtech posted:

It would be funny if a far-away non-muslim country would revolt just after al-Gaddafi is removed from power. A country like Cuba.

Of all places, why Cuba? I could see a place in Central America maybe. It's more likely to spread to Bumfuck Sub-Sahara Africa.

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

The-Mole posted:

gently caress torture, there's no reason to debase ourselves. Just throw him in a cell with Never Going to Give You Up on infinite loop at a low volume.

There's always this
NWS
http://www.toxicjunction.com/get.asp?i=V3860
NWS

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

killing_fields posted:

Do you guys think this is all caused, or maybe helped by the wikileaks cables? I've skipped a page or two here and there and I don't know if it's been covered.

no

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

The-Mole posted:

You've obviously never heard of LSD.

Sticking up for another dictator in the Middle East?

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

man thats gross posted:

In other news, Moammar Gaddafi,doing his best impression of Tony Montana, had this to say:

Joo think deez rats gonna provide you with food and electricity, mang? These caka-roaches gonna take away your oil. Joo hold one rifle and joo think jo're brave? Joo ain't nothin', mang!

Hey manny look at dem pelicangs!

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD
So if Ahmadinejad is "Dinner Jacket", what is this loving guy

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

Vladimir Putin posted:

This is absolutely true. Whoever is enforcing the no fly zone needs to be willing to bomb ground targets when they get painted by radar or fired on from the ground.

What is the over air time from Germany and France to Libya?

Three hours I'd guess

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

Slantedfloors posted:

His stated reason is that he didn't promote himself because "general" is to fancy a title for someone as humble as him.

There's also probably a practical reason to it, since in most military systems Colonels are the highest rank that can command troops in the field, allowing him to always have a bodyguard without looking paranoid or relying on someone below him to give orders.

Colonel is the highest rank in the Libyan military, period.

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

Sivias posted:

The systematic slaughter of any human is a horrible thing. I don't understand why there is any leeway on the subject? Is there a "Well, they haven't killed 600 people yet, so we're not gonna do anything quite yet." ?
Under what conditions is the wholesale slaughter of human beings ok?

It's his own people AND it's Africa... you do the math

Also, what the gently caress good are sanctions right now?

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

Brown Moses posted:

From the Guardian

oh heck yes :haw:

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

Narmi posted:

Just out of curiosity, has the Patriot Act been repealed yet? If not, is there any plan as to how long it'll stay around?

Has it been repea-hahaahahahahah

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

Xandu posted:

He's being sarcastic because the patriot act is never going to be repealed.

The USA PATRIOT Act is biblically mandated and if you don't believe that then you can go to hell.

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD
Anybody have that video of those libyans in protest singing and swaying?

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

Slantedfloors posted:

Can we somehow work in that the guns given to the rebels are paid for with drug money? That worked well the last time.

Just let Haliburton handle it

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

Brown Moses posted:

Saif is a loopy oval office:

I imagine he'll require the same kind of evidence Birthers would require to believe Obama isn't a Secret Kenyan Muslim.

You can argue all day about short-form birth certificates but there's a video of a motherfucker taping a video and getting shot...

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

davebo posted:

Istanbul was Constantinople?

The City of the World's Desires

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

YorexTheMad posted:

NPR is probably as close as you can get.

Democracy Now! They have people like Noam Chomsky all the time for 30+ minutes (and it airs every weekday).

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD
Good to see McCain wants to start another war. Whoopie, we all gonna die!

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD
Anybody hearing this gun nerd talking about "the new tomahawks"?

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD
"Did you use the cool planes that jam radar?"

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD
This guy wants to know how Libya's air defense system relates to Iran's. Wtf?

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD
"Operation Odyssey Dawn"

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

Xandu posted:

So does this make Gaddafi a general now?

"General" doesn't exist in the Libyan military

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD
And it still looks like only two got killed. I would assume the further this progresses the more "battle-hardened" they'll become although I do like at the end how some young dude jumps right in front of an RPG a half second before it's launched.

Freedom fighting like this has got to be one of the purest forms of expression though.

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

Pureauthor posted:

I really don't get the 'firing guns as a method of celebration' thing.

It's cultural, really

"Bullets are not greeting cards. Celebrate without firearms"

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

Shageletic posted:

By area I suppose you mean the entire middle east. Nepotism is a trait shared by all dicatorships, from Kim Jong Ill to the junta in Burma, to Cuba and central Asia. Keeping it in the family centralizes power and ensures loyalty.

President Kennedy did it, too!

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD
People think it's the bougies who protest against totalitarian regimes?

...oh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

Cicero posted:

I actually think that most American youth have played enough military-themed FPSs and watched enough movies to at least attempt some military-style tactics, although to be sure, they would be poorly executed.

Yeah but if your K/D ratio isn't = ∞ then you're kind of hosed.

• Locked thread