Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Joining this thread, thanks for all the good info guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I just want to say I appreciate everybody who's keeping this thread updated. Well done.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

platzapS posted:

People are the best sometimes

Laugh, O Revolution: Humor in the Egyptian Revolution (The Atlantic)

This article is pure joy. Read it.

And listen to this song, called "Laugh, O Revolution" ("ha ha ha!")

-->:)<--

(crossposted from D&D)

This is awesome, both of the links are gold.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Brown Moses you're the man.

schadenfraud posted:

I heard again from my friend in Libya, pretty much confirming the female mercenaries stories and 'they just shoot at anyone.'

http://yfrog.com/gz1huwj

Why yes this message is written in blood. It reads 'Yahya the Martyr' - the name of the guy shot and killed in the street.

Hey man, I hope your friend and his family stay safe. Thanks for bringing us this perspective, والله معهم.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Patter Song posted:

After Libya (which I would've said was impossible a few weeks ago), I'm not writing off anything, but I highly doubt we'll see a major rising in any of the Gulf States apart from the ongoing one in Bahrain. (No, despite being on the Arabian Peninsula, Yemen is not a Gulf State)

I will admit to being disappointed about the lack of a rising in Syria (which I would've personally thought far more unstable than Libya).

A lot of people in Syria are proud of the way Bashar Al-Assad is "standing up to America" and stuff. Also poverty is relatively low (compared to, say, Egypt), and food is pretty cheap (i.e. well-subsidized). When I was there a few months ago there didn't seem to be much heart for regime change except among certain Muslim activist groups who chafe a bit at the official secularist ideology of the Bacath Party. It's worth considering too that Al-Assad is an educated, charming, and competent character, much more like Saif Gaddafi (or at least, like he used to be) than the big old crazy Colonel.

Of course, I would have never pegged Libya to explode like this either, so there's that.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

More from Tripoli, wish I understood arabic:

From a quick glance at the #libya and #tripoli hashtags, it looks like actual information is largely in English. Most of the Arabic tweets were well-wishers and condemnations of Gaddafi and stuff.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Man I've got a really bad case of the eff-fives right now.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

So uh, what all happened in Tripoli? It's 1 a.m. there right now.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Anonymous is stupid, people are stupid for thinking they play any part in this sort of stuff.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That's just a map of the region generally recognized as Kurdistan, not a state as such.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Apology posted:

~*BIG BUT INTERESTING DERAIL ABOUT TRANSLATIONS AHEAD, READ IF YOU WANT*~

~*END GIANT DERAIL ABOUT TRANSLATIONS*~

Dialect differences wouldn't really factor into text translation, since people only ever write in the formal dialect (you sometimes see local dialects being written down in works of fiction or on like, social networking sites, but never in news outlets). It's also significant that vowels aren't typically written in Arabic, so you can have several words that look identical on the page but have different meanings – the word for "scholar" and for "world" are both written عالم, for example, though they're pronounced differently – so this requires an ability to analyze context, which is complicated.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Outside of Libya it seems like Syria is joining in the fun:

All I've read about Syria says there was a small demonstration (about 40 people) on Friday, which was broken up, then a slightly larger one on Saturday that was also broken up. No reports of violence, though a couple of people have been arrested.

If Syria knows what's good for it, it will choose to be restrained in its reaction to whatever protests materialized. So far there have been 3, as I recall, and no one has died or been gravely injured. Bashar al-Assad is both a) more popular and b) more canny than Ben Ali or Mubarak, so I think it's possible he may choose to liberalize a little bit (for example, the recent un-blocking of Facebook) in response to protests rather than clamp down and risk creating the conditions for a true revolt.

I don't see an Egypt or Tunisia-style revolt happening in Syria right now, all things considered, but of course, I would have said that about Libya a couple months ago, so there's that.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

According to Twitter the protesters have torched the Baath Party headquarters in Daraa. Twitter though, so take that as you will.

quote:

iyad_elbaghdadi Baath Party headquarters torched in Syrian city of Daraa. #Syria

Based on what I've been reading, al-Assad has been spinning the violence as an overreaction on the part of the local governor. They've also made a couple smaller concessions – freeing kids who put up pro-democracy graffiti, for example – so they seem like they're trying to head off any major flare-ups.

Then there's stuff like this:

quote:

Khatibmo Eyewitnesses say Deraa is no longer under the control of Syrian authorities, Please confirm. #syria

So who loving knows.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 20, 2011

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Warcabbit posted:

Of course, what has to be done now is that the Egyptians need to get a fatwah that voting to their best interests, not as the Muslim Brotherhood say, is the right way, according to Allah. Get it out now, fast, and before the Muslim Brotherhood cook the actual elections.

I don't think you know how fatwas work.

A fatwa may be issued by literally anyone. In general fatawa are issued by scholars in response to a specific question someone has asked them to rule on. Once the fatwa has been issued it is expected that the person who asked the question will follow the ruling, but a fatwa is only considered binding on its issuer. If a fatwa is issued and becomes the consensus of the scholars of the time it may be used in Islamic legal proceedings in a way similar to the way precedent is used in common law, i.e. as one element (but not the sole element) in determining the outcome of a case.

Essentially, there's no such thing as "getting out a fatwa." Even if Shaykh al-Azhar were to say something about not listening to the Muslim Brothers, all it means is that he shouldn't listen to the Muslim Brothers, and that other people know that he thinks that.

Also you're too scared of the Muslim Brotherhood.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Orkiec posted:

Also, this is a bit irrelevant to the current conversation, but I remember seeing a Youtube video from Tahrir Square posted way back in this thread. They would say a verse and then say something along the lines of HA HA HA. Can anybody relink this?

This is from pages back, but here you go.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

cioxx posted:

I know it's unpopular to be a utilitarian when it comes to matters of war, but I am on the side of less suffering and even less conflicts.

Obviously, taking out the TV station is not on par with saving millions of Japanese lives by dropping the atomic bomb on Hiroshima, but I believe it will save a lot of lives in this conflict.

If the coalition stops enforcing the no fly zone and stops targeting Gaddafi's military assets then it'll be over for rebels. A good way to guarantee that is with domestic pressure in Western nations who are getting a dose of Gaddafi's bullshit on their TVs.

cioxx posted:

Expansion to where?

Also, could you tell me if it would be acceptable to you if coalition forces bombed a Gaddafi outpost with 10 human shields where failure to act would result in a massacre of 500 civilians.

cioxx posted:

Throwing a shitfit and ducking the question isn't helping your argument. It's a simple "yes" or "no" question.

Goddamn you're stupid. The primary issue is that the benefits gained by attacking a civilian installation like a state-run TV station that everybody already knows is bullshit are essentially nil compared to the damage it would do to global opinion of the military operation.

Also, your whole "What if we could save a thousand people by just waterboarding one baby?!?" line of reasoning is retarded. Morality isn't measured arithmetically.

edit: Also, what the gently caress? We definitely didn't drop the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki to save Japanese lives, let's be real.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 23, 2011

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

kingturnip posted:

Frankly, it doesn't help that the loudest voices in US media seem (to this foreigner, at least) to be the most frothy-mouthed. Could Obama have made the case more clearly? Probably, but the people who're jumping up and down, screaming that he's being stupid, liberal, war-mongering, Muslim or gay would still be screaming those things anyway, because they're children. And that's what children do - scream until someone pays attention to them.

Don't worry, you seem to have a pretty good sense of American media.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Vir posted:

For English language news stations in the Arabic speaking world, you might be correct, but I think the BCC and the US networks are less biased than Al Jazeera.

Egyptian blogger "Sandmonkey" had criticized the network in the past for being blind to stories critical of Qatar. His criticism was directed at the Arabic Al Jazeera though. Perhaps the English Al Jazeera is less biased than the Arabic one?

The good thing with Al Jazeera is that they're often ahead of the story, while the US alphabets tend to come later. Maybe it's because they have fewer correspondents these days.

I've heard that the Al Jazeera English is top-notch reporting, similar to the international edition of CNN, while Al Jazeera Arabic is more like domestic CNN, i.e. well-meaning, but a bit of a rag at times.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

#syria on Twitter is relatively quiet so far, seems to be a mix between people rooting for a big blowup who mostly seem to be out of the country (i.e. "you must stand up for your rights" or whatever), and people in-country who seem cautiously excited about lifting emergency law.

I guess we'll see as Friday continues though.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Actually, Beirut has the closest thing to a "gay scene" in the Arab world, so.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Jut posted:

Sultan?

He's probably thinking about the gay prince of Oman.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Bashar al-Assad has announced that emergency law will be lifted next week.

We'll see.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

BCR posted:

In the past they leveled a town called Hama and killed 20,000 when the Muslim Brotherhood challenged the Syrian government. The government is likely to do everything to keep in power. They're Alawites and a minority in Syria and minority's aren't popular in the Middle East. Going against Israel was their main justification of being in power. If they can't contain the rebellions conventionally, I can see them using chemical weapons.

Oh hush. There's no evidence of any sectarian aspect to the Syria situation. You don't know anything.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Paradox Personified posted:

That's supposed to be against the rules, naming your daughter Aisha... How'd he get away with it, or he just doesn't care?

Man people have some weird ideas about Islam.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

There are virtually no Shia in Libya.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Chronojam posted:

Can anybody who understands Arabic confirm that off the stream?

A quick glance over Al Jazeera Arabic doesn't yield anything about Tripoli.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Pajser posted:

Can we take some comfort, that this poo poo is not going to last forever? Right?
:smith:

For fucks sake, couldn't they have just let her drive a couple of blocks and not make a big deal out of it?

That would have deeply undermined the absolutist stance the Saudi state requires in order to ensure an acquiescent populace. They don't have religious police in Saudi to ensure that everybody stays moral, they have religious police to create a situation of learned helplessness among the population so that their fundamentally very weak state can continue to extract mineral wealth and win foreign aid to the benefit of the Saudi royal family. They pair that with the occasional fistful of cash thrown at average Saudis as a small carrot to go along with their huge stick.

The Saudi government is the worst, and I'm really sorry to hear about that poo poo, Al-Saqr.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

A no fly zone wouldn't do much in Syria, the geography's too complicated. It's not Libya's single road on flat terrain on the coast.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

You'd be surprised how many smart (or so I thought) people around here talk about discussing the womens driving with 'reason' and 'dialogue' rather than openly going and driving like that woman did. Also I had to hold myself from screaming and throwing my shoe in rage when my local imam talked about how womens driving is the gateway for an Iranian-Zionist-Westernized-Sexcapade conspiracy.

That Sexcapade sounds like a blast, btw.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Amused to Death posted:

I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to an organization actually at least covering the problem of rape in a region where to convict a rapist you often need multiple witnesses who have to be men.

Just want to point out that this is a misunderstanding of Islamic law. You need four witnesses (who have literally witnessed the act) to prove a case of zina, or adultery (which is a crime for both parties). This is usually interpreted to mean that the (very) harsh punishment for zina is meant to be more of a public indecency thing rather than an issue of private morality. Rape is more complicated, and is often a sort of he said she said thing, so in the absence of overwhelming proof (especially before the advent of rape kits and DNA testing and stuff, i.e. most of Islamic history) both parties would just walk away from the situation because the court couldn't make a determination.

The problem is that Saudi Arabia has such innovative (from a legal perspective) restrictions on the movement and associations of women that if a woman claims she was raped she is admitting that she was in the company of men who weren't her family, which is criminalized, so she'll get punished for that, and since rape can be difficult to determine (and you bet your rear end the loving Saudi authorities don't bend over backwards with their rape kits), the man often gets no punishment. This is where people get the idea that women are punished for being raped under Islamic law, when in fact the issue is that women are often punished in addition to being raped under Saudi law. They are the worst. لعن الله آل سعود

In Pakistan after the introduction of elements of Islamic law into the colonial-era legal system they defined rape as zina bil-jabr or "adultery by force" which made proving rape require 4 witnesses in contrast to the historical standard of Islamic law, which relied on the woman's testimony. That's probably where the idea of witnesses to prove rape came from.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Paradox Personified posted:

Can you school me on the alcohol/ al-kohol/kohl thing? I tried to trace it but :smith:

Please tell me that can actually be a slightly useful tactic for rebels to avoid incoming.. anything? It could confuse incoming small-arms fire at least, yes?

Check it out.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Man that news about the Muslim Brothers and Wafd is weird. I definitely wouldn't have predicted that.

I talked very briefly with a friend in Damascus just now. We mostly exchanged pleasantries but when I mentioned that I'm shopping around for some year-long Arabic programs he remarked that I probably wouldn't be studying in Syria. It's hard to have much of a conversation with people in the country since they're pretty cognizant of the regime's interest in peoples' conversations, but it seems like he's pretty aware of poo poo that's going on, and not happy about it. I'll probably talk with him again soonish – wanna make sure his family is alright – and I'll let you all know what he thinks, insofar as he's able to tell me.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

My buddy in Syria linked an article (in Arabic) that claims Assad is going to dissolve the Baath party and start one of his own, tossing out all the old guard in the process and opening it up to the new ideas of the youth. I'm...skeptical.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Dr.Oblivious posted:

I really can't help but physically cringe every time I hear something bad happening in Syria, I used to live in Damascus a little more than a decade ago. :ohdear:

:(:hf::(

I really hope nothing to crazy happens.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The main roads were p. much designed for tank/troop movement. It blows.

CeeJee posted:

Are women not allowed to attend such funeral demonstrations ?

There are definitely women present, you can hear the ululation.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

loving poo poo.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

For the non-Arabic speakers out there, "ارحل" (irhal) means "Get out," and it's been very common on signs throughout the Arab Spring. That's sort of awesome to see it in Israel.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I don't like Anonymous, but that's pretty cool.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Walid Jumblatt is a total tool. Also it's pretty unsurprising that he's anti-Syria, since they killed his dad.

Nobody actually takes Jumblatt too seriously as far as I can tell, although is true that the Druze tend to sort of be a wild card in Lebanese politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah that's true. I wonder if Hezbollah's gonna stop blindly supporting the Assad regime any time soon. They've been pretty lovely during this whole thing.

edit: Also, I really hope the trend of naming political movements after calendar dates is going to end soon.

• Locked thread