Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
Holy hell that speech. Did Obama just throw a bunch of George W. Bush speech transcripts and Paul Wolfowitz musings into a blender and recite whatever came out? I bet y'all can't get better than 50% in figuring out which of these stupid statements were made by Stupid rear end in a top hat #42 or Stupid rear end in a top hat #43. :911:

"America is a Nation with a mission - and that mission... comes from our most basic beliefs."
"In this effort, the United States has not acted alone. Instead, we have been joined by a strong and growing coalition. This includes our closest allies – nations like the United Kingdom, France, Canada, Denmark, Norway, Italy, Spain, Greece, and Turkey – all of whom have fought by our side for decades."
"The momentum of freedom in our world is unmistakable - and it is not carried forward by our power alone. "
"Born, as we are, out of a revolution by those who longed to be free, we welcome the fact that history is on the move in the Middle East"
"He has denied his people freedom, exploited their wealth, murdered opponents at home and abroad, and terrorized innocent people around the world"
"Of course, there is no question that those people – and the world – will be better off with him out of power."
"Getting rid of this dictator is the right thing to do and the world is a better place without him."
"The democratic impulses that are dawning across the region would be eclipsed by the darkest form of dictatorship, as repressive leaders concluded that violence is the best strategy to cling to power. "
"We know that dictators are quick to choose aggression, while free nations strive to resolve differences in peace."

OwlBot 2000 fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Competition posted:

What?

Oh come on, he got it backwards but the point remains, that violent Balkans-style ethno-religious conflict frequently occurs in artificially delimited former colonies when strongman dictators are removed.

OwlBot 2000 fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 29, 2011

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Clearly the solution is to leave Gaddafi alone to eat people, then.

Yeah, preventing murders is a good thing, but this whole
aspect of it makes me a little concerned.. Is Libya the only place we're willing to do this? If so, why? This seems disingenuous and fishy given the various Central Asian dictators we directly or tacitly support, and all the other countries experiencing worse humanitarian crises than Libya. Forgive me for questioning the real reasons here, because the USA doesn't exactly have the best track record when it comes to intervention without shady ulterior motives.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
Farraday: Fair point. In that case, forgive me for being suspicious of the Security Council's motives in the same way and for the same reasons. I don't support most multilaterally declares conflicts, including this, so I definitely don't support unilaterally declared wars either. Also, I wasn't suggesting that we SHOULD be involved in the other crises; I was merely questioning the consistency and coherence of our policy on intervention.

OwlBot 2000 fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 29, 2011

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Spiky Ooze posted:

Except we're not talking about Bush and Cheney here with disturbing ties to the oil industry or helpful "construction" firms that rebuild everything in Iraq. Obama has no stake in the Middle East besides trying to do better than decades of bad policy, and considering the mess he's left to deal with, he's actually doing decent.

Hey buddy, what's it like in 2008? Still excited about Obama's plan to shut down Guantanamo and implement a first-world healthcare system? He's reeeaaallly a break from his predecessors, huh? :allears:

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
"Has capably handled"? You're talking in the past tense, as though this Libya situation is over. "Obama's record is that of either a liar or a weak and timid leader, and this may very well be a predictor of his future performance" is a better way to paraphrase my point.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
Obama Tries, Without Success, to Explain an Undeclared War

John Nichols posted:

The speech was, to no one’s surprise, ably delivered. The president spoke with emotional and rhetorical power of how he felt there had been a need to intervene in order to prevent “a massacre that would have reverberated across the region and stained the conscience of the world.” He explained how there are times “when our safety is not directly threatened, but our interests and values are.” He decried the temptation “to turn away from the world” and promised that “wherever people long to be free, they will find a friend in the United States.” Those are noble sentiments, well expressed.

Unfortunately, he also spoke about how he had initiated the way on his own: “I ordered warships into the Mediterranean.” “I refused to let that happen.” “I authorized military action…” “At my direction…”

The problem is that presidents are not supposed to start wars, especially wars of whim that are offensive rather than defensive in nature. That was the complaint against George W. Bush when he failed to obtain a declaration of war before ordering the invasion of Iraq, that is the ongoing complaint against Obama for maintaining the undeclared wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. And that is the legitimate and necessary complaint against Obama now, a complaint that should come not just opponents of the military intervention but supporters who want that intervention to be lawful and legitimate.

The president did not address the fact that the Libyan adventure is an undeclared war. In fact, he barely mentioned the Congress that is supposed to declare wars, saying only: “And so nine days ago, after consulting the bipartisan leadership of Congress, I authorized military action to stop the killing and enforce UN Security Council Resolution 1973.”

But the Constitution does not discuss “consulting the bipartisan leadership.” It says that: “Congress shall have the power…to declare war, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water.”

That was the point that Congressman Dennis Kucinich, D-Ohio, with regard to the speech made in a letter to Congress.

Suggesting that “President Obama owes the nation an explanation as to why he had time to consult with 15 members of the UN Security Council, 22 members of the Arab League, and later, with 28 members of NATO, to garner support for an attack with Great Britain and France, but had no time to come to the United States Congress for prior authorization before attacking Libya,” Kucinich argued that “Article 1, Section 8 of the United States Constitution is very clear. It is Congress that determines when our nation goes to war. President Obama superseded that authority and bought a new war for the American people without Congressional approval. We must know what it will cost, how long it will last, what is the end game, and when will NATO — whose military bills we pay — get out.

Kucinich continued: “President Obama’s failure to come to Congress, as required by the Constitution, left us without the opportunity to have a full and ample debate on the merits of military intervention in Libya. As such, I intend to offer a bipartisan amendment to cut off funds for U.S. participation in the war to the next funding measure..."...

Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin, D-Wisconsin, issued a statement immediately following the president’s speech, which began: “I oppose the current engagement of U.S. military forces in Libya. Our nation cannot afford a third war and Congress has not authorized it.”

Echoing Kucinich, she said: “The Constitution gives Congress the authority to declare war. Defense Secretary Gates has publicly stated that Libya is not a vital interest of the United States. Congress must debate and act on this new military engagement in Libya.”

Baldwin also raised other concerns: “For a decade now, the U.S. has been fighting wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. We have spent nearly a trillion dollars of borrowed money and lost nearly 6,000 American lives. Thousands more servicemen and women have suffered serious, life-altering injuries. Even as they support these wars with no clearly defined mission or exit strategy, House Republicans are seeking deep cuts in job creation efforts, veterans’ services, health care, education, and transportation. These are misguided priorities.

“Our troops must be brought home safely and soon from Afghanistan and Iraq; and Congress must return its focus to creating jobs, educating our children, and ensuring access to quality, affordable health care for all Americans,” concluded Baldwin.

Heh, crazy liberals :smug:

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

euphronius posted:

Maybe in a small agrarian republic with no standing army the President is not supposed to start wars. That horse left the barn long ago though.

True, but it seems kinda dumb to even have a constitution if you can just dismiss it as old-timey and irrelevant one day but use it as a sacred text the next, and at the very least makes 99% of American politicians liars and hypocrites. I guess we're all cool with the President deciding when and where the law should be followed?

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
The precedent for unauthorized suspension of Habeas Corpus also goes back a long way (at least to Lincoln), as do First Amendment violations (Alien and Sedition Acts of 1798 and Sedition Act of 1918) and Fourth Amendment violations. Are these and other violations made completely moral and legal simply because it's all been done before?

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
Vague? I think its placement in Article 1, Sec. 9 makes it anything but, so I don't believe I'm question-begging here.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I guess since Article 1 is all about congressional powers that means it must be a prohibition on congressional suspension of habeas corpus except under certain circumstances.

Which does imply the president can't do it all. Hmm. Like I said, while I've read the constitution thoroughly, I'm not a scholar and haven't read much constitutional analysis.

That's my take on it at least, but I'll admit that I'm no scholar either and I could very well be wrong. A little humility never hurt anyone :) Any people with constitutional law degrees want to chime in?

OwlBot 2000 fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 30, 2011

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
By North African/Middle Eastern standards, weren't things pretty cushy under Gaddhafi? Sure, no freedom of speech or elections or whatever, but in terms of education and economics and stability.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Slantedfloors posted:

They were okay, not great in any real way. And Ghadaffi specifically kept the East underdeveloped and poorer than the West, as a punishment for earlier disloyalty.

Ah, okay. So there are some strong economic reasons to get rid of him, and it's not just a "me too!" result of their neighbors' revolutions.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Maybe he hadn't heard what happened to Rudolf Hess.

Sounds familiar? :hitler:

So you're saying Koussa will be murdered in his jail cell? :tinfoil:

OwlBot 2000 fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 3, 2013

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
So not only did we cause additional destruction, but we ensured an even higher number of rebels who'll be tortured and killed once America and NATO get tired of dealing with a situation they once again underestimated and abandon their new North African toys. Western intervention makes things worse in the long run, and the level of arrogance required not to see that is nothing short of astounding.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Slantedfloors posted:

drat, I wish I could write off thousands of lives as an unfortunate inevitability. That callousness is a handy skill man, I hope you treasure it.
You think I'm glad about this, or don't care? I'm saying that it's a dangerous game loving around in other countries' affairs, and it's utterly stupid to believe there aren't some really shady ulterior motives at play that you haven't even considered. Kuwait and South Korea illustrate that it is POSSIBLE for intervention to result in a positive outcome, but I bet even you are intelligent enough to realize that the vast majority end up with the "liberated" country screwed over for the benefit of Western corporations.

Name an example of an intervention that didn't end to poverty, repression and exploitation, and I can name ten more that did.

Amused to Death posted:

He'd also be pretty hard pressed to find many people in Benghazi, Tobruk and other eastern Libyan cities that share that sentiment also.
I'm sure that the Cubans in 1898 would agree with them.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
It's dumb to assume that I'm an isolationist or would always be opposed to every declared war no matter the circumstances just because I'm opposed to hasty and cavalier invasions that strongly resemble previous predatory invasions disguised as humanitarian efforts.

OwlBot 2000 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 6, 2013

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Nenonen posted:

In that case Germany would have remained an empire and Hitler would never have risen to fame, and while there would probably have been a revenge war, it would have been started by the losing side of the first war and would have been very different in nature.

So Nazi Germany would never have happened. It might be possible that Lenin would have been kept in Switzerland, too, so no Stalinist USSR either. Sounds palatable.
Hey, you un-spoilered my spoiler! :argh:

Given the circumstances, at the time I would have supported the American entry into WWII. Having said that, I would never really be certain I made the right choice once I realized that I had thereby lent support to the largest mass rape in history, hundreds of thousands of women and children in Tokyo and Dresden burned alive, the detonation of nuclear bombs in civilian centers, the Soviet occupation of Europe, the Great Leap Forward, the Vietnam War and Korean War, and so many other side-effects that it's stupid to glibly state that you can predict exactly how things would turn out.

OwlBot 2000 fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Apr 1, 2011

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
Colonel Qaddafhi owns so hard, he's got these sniveling amateurs scattering and panicked like roaches when the lights turn on.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
Someone remind me why people were revolting in Libya to begin with? Sure, it was undemocratic, but I think the lack of a near-universal base of support like that in Egypt is testament to the fact that people were generally OK as far as food and money goes. Gaddafi is scum, to be sure, but I'm not sure how anybody thought this would end well.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
The point is, I think, that we're giving anti-aircraft weapons to Al-Qaeda. Now I love Al-Qaeda just as much as the next guy, but I think that's something Western powers should think about.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
Step 1: Oh noes, Gadaffhi has a couple of airplanes and is using them against rebels. Better stop that, but we'll make sure it's not an "intervention" or "regime change" and just let things take their course.

Step 2: Wow, these rebels really are incompetent idiots. Without our help, they'll never be able to install a corporate friendly regime HAVE FREEDOM! We'll send in some predator drones to help out.

Step 3: ????

OwlBot 2000 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 21, 2011

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Pedrophile posted:

Step 4: Stop over simplifying the situation to suit your own agenda.

Step 5 stop being naive and take a look at the history of "benevolent" Western intervention.

Also what, exactly, is my agenda? Just curious.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
Wow, I'm amazed at how confident everyone is in the motivations of England, France and good ol' Unlce Sam. After all, why would things turn out the way they have in roughly 99% of previous interventions? Of course I don't have "proof" of how things will turn out in the future, just a lot of experience watching the ways these things unfold, and I know counts for literally nothing. That's fine.

Since you all have to seem a much better grip on history than me, I guess I'll sit back and watch as it turns into a giant clusterfuck and you all go from denial to backpedaling and eventually claim you never supported any part of the Libyan intervention. Maybe we'll even get a 51st state. I look forward to touring East Carolina soon.

Edit: what was I thinking, making wild allegations that something shady and untoward was afoot? In fact, John McCain is meeting with the rebels right now, and such a trustworthy and honorable personage would never get involved in anything that wasn't a purely humanitarian exercise. Carry on.

OwlBot 2000 fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 22, 2011

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
Aaah, that famous Polish Engineering can't be beat. Their watches are also incredible.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
It's not HOW I SEE IT, it's HOW IT IS.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Jut posted:

The MONSTERS!!!!

The Monster® Cables!!

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

globe posted:

Combat video from the rebels in Misurata:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iy4fsaD3Ug&feature=share

Somebody send a few vids to the rebels, like these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3XCMNYMHFM&NR#t=0m20s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB96LfLE-sA&feature=related
..and maybe they'll get something done and not look like frightened children

OwlBot 2000 fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 25, 2011

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Young Freud posted:

Also, I surprised, even after a month of nonstop fighting, how every thing looks bright and clean, not dirty or grungy.

That's a testament to Colonel Qaddafi's guiding leadership through dark times.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
His name has been thrown around a lot in this thread, but who is Nato, anyway?

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

quote:

COPENHAGEN, Denmark — Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin sharply criticized the Western coalition attacking Libya on Tuesday, saying it had neither a right nor a mandate to kill Moammar Gadhafi.

Putin said the coalition had gone beyond the bounds of a U.N. Security Council resolution authorizing intervention to protect civilians and suggested Gadhafi's actions did not justify foreign interference, let alone attempts to remove him.
"They said they didn't want to kill Gadhafi.

Now some officials say, yes, we are trying to kill Gadhafi," Putin said on a visit to Denmark. "Who permitted this, was there any trial? Who took on the right to execute this man, no matter who he is?"

Putin spoke as Britain and the United States discussed stepping up military pressure on Gadhafi, who has survived more than a month of NATO air strikes.

"The country's whole infrastructure is being destroyed, and in essence one of the warring sides is attacking under the cover of aircraft," Putin said at a news conference after talks with his Danish counterpart, Prime Minister Lars Lokke Rasmussen.

"When the entire so-called civilized community falls upon a small country with all its might, destroys infrastructure created over generations -- I don't know, is that good or not?" Putin said. "I don't like it."
Shortly after Putin spoke, Libyan state news agency Jana said Libya had urged Russia to call an emergency meeting of the U.N. Security Council to discuss "Western aggression."
Shut up Putin. You had your chance to do the right thing and veto the resolution but you didn't. Now you want to talk?

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

ChaosSamusX posted:

Wait, isn't this the guy that launched a unilateral invasion of Georgia that was heavily criticised by the international community?

Exactly, he's really not in any position to talk smack and act smug right now. However, the Georgia situation was very much Saakashvili's fault. He did the equivalent of going up to the biggest guy in the bar and throwing a beer in his face, then acting all shocked when he got slapped.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Rosscifer posted:

How far do you want to take that? Would you legalize extreme-right-wing parties in Germany?

Why not? Communism is allowed. This is just an American-imposed rule against some long-defeated enemy. Outlawing political parties shows a really deep insecurity and is antithetical to a free society.

Rosscifer posted:

Democracy needs to be infringed a little sometimes for the common good.

Is this from Mein Kampf or something?

OwlBot 2000 fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 29, 2011

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
So what does everyone think of the Egyptian promise to open the Rafah crossing "in seven to ten days"? Is there any way Israel or America could stop them if they wanted to?

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

quote:

Sources at the hospital confirmed that pro regime troops were wearing gas masks. An independent source said there were reports that thousands of gas masks had been distributed to troops yesterday.

Shouldn't have killed his son I guess. Good work NATO

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
Woah Qaddafi has nukes?

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

quote:

The UN is withdrawing all its international staff from the Libyan capital Tripoli following a mob attack on its offices, the BBC understands.

UN buildings and some foreign missions were targeted by angry crowds following a Nato air strike that reportedly killed a son of Col Gaddafi.

A UN official told the BBC its staff would withdraw from Libya and the decision would be reviewed next week.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13253896

I wonder if there's really a mob of random Libyans or if it was a group of soldiers dressed as civilians...

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

There are rumors going around that the attack on Karachi was foreign lead, and maybe in response the the sweet new jets China gave Pakistan.

Also rumored is China giving the "an attack on Pakistan is an attack on us" line. Given that Obama has said he'd send in troops if the Pakistan's nuclear arsenal is threatened, this seems like a bad mix. Flashbacks of cold war satellite countries. Trying to find something resembling a real source before I call these anything credible.

e: http://tribune.com.pk/story/173888/blast-on-dalmia-road/

Attackers were armed with "sophisticated weapons". PK TV says night vision goggles.

One hopes it would take more than ten men to overtake a military base, even in a country like Pakistan. I mean, that kind of thing should take at least 200 people, right, and some inside help?

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
Well it's only fair that France and the U.K. get to keep Libya, seeing as how they did all the hard work. Finders keepers, etc. Firing a gun, well, anyone can do that. But providing air support, weapons, tactical advice, intelligence, and special forces operatives? That's the kind of work that ought to earn you a shiny new Libya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Arkane posted:

The comment section on this is pretty funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd6T7XtqiTc

Those guys sure think Allah is pretty Akbar. I'm glad they cleared that up.

• Locked thread