Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Young Freud posted:

What do they have to gain by doing this? Is Syria such a total loss for Assad now that he's hoping that bringing Israel into the conflict will unite Syrians? Get the Iranians more involved? Obviously, the time to do that was last year, and even then, when Assad bused in border protests in hope to incite Israel, many Syrians were still looking at them like an blatant instigation by Assad.

I remember that Saddam tried to do the exact same thing back in the first Gulf War by firing Scuds into Israel's population centers. IIRC it almost worked too since Israel actually launched planes twice but never got to the step of actually firing ordnance. It would have made a big strain on the coalition had it succeeded, I guess, but I also don't think it'll be of any real help here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Oh for gently caress's sake.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

GWBBQ posted:

Are the concerns about the high probability of ethnic cleansing against Shia and Alawite populations still pretty much the same or has anything changed about the makeup of the opposition that would mitigate that?

At this point I simply don't see any way that it's not going to be incredibly hosed up in Syria for years, maybe decades to come.

Thanks for nothing, Assad.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

McDowell posted:

It's because Putin has made it very clear that he does not want NATO in Syria, but no one in power wants to admit how close we are to World War 3.

Putin isn't going to start WW3 over loving Syria, man.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Ham posted:

And...they just cut the power to all the camera feeds recording Tahrir square.

Yeah, that's going to make everything go away.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Pon de Bundy posted:

These rebels will probably end up fighting against each other soon enough, which would be great. Assad needs to destroy the stupid loving Wahhabists and Salafists that want to destroy Syria. I really hope he is able to pull off a victory and crush them.

The only point at which the rebels will degenerate into serious infighting would be after they no longer view Assad as being able to mount any sort of effective resistance (regardless of the nature of the inability such as being exiled, killed or simply too weak to control anything.)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Well I'm a little late for this, but congrats on making the NYTimes, Brown Moses!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

What happened to Tunisia?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I cannot see a scenario where this ends well, and the CIA should have learned from their own mistakes at this point.

Xth time's the charm.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

edit: nothing to see here

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Volkerball posted:

I too believe that a deranged cannibal is completely representative of the majority mindset.

He's just the extreme version of a problem that does indeed exist in Syria, and the problem is that the war (as wars are wont to do) will drive people who hold opinions towards the more radical ends of the problems, and polarize issues that really don't need to be polarized.

Case in point: Some fucker eating a heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Ardennes posted:

The difference being showman ship and a nebulous grey area where there isn't a distinct good and bad side.

No, there is still a good side and a bad side, it's just that neither side in the current conflict can stake much claim to the good side.

• Locked thread