Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I keep on forgetting how freaking tiny Bahrain is.
Also that image of the dude whose head got blown apart is going to haunt me forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

tere posted:

I love how the markets all go. Hey there is unrest in the mid-east. Time to jack up the price of oil!!!

The price movement is actually rather rational in this case because Libya and Algeria are rather large oil suppliers and I would not be surprised if Gadaffi begins lighting his wells on fire in a final desperate gamble.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Oh man I'm seeing vision of $150+ dollar barrels of oil again.
That idiot is going to wreck the entire world economy if he smashes Libya's oil supplies!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

Early I posted that government forces were heading to Zawiya. The BBC just posted this:

Not sure if it means they defeated the government, or they are yet to be attacked.

I think they are trying to tighten the noose around Tripoli and make sure they will be no escape routes for Gadaffi.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Spiky Ooze posted:

House of Saud recruiting:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/saudis-mobilise-thousands-of-troops-to-quell-growing-revolt-2232928.html

The US is about to have to make a mother of a decision if things go bad there.

Oh a potential global financial crisis starting next week?
Best birthday present EVER!
(though seriously gently caress the House of Saud)

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

The thing is though, Yemen has been a ticking timebomb for quite a while, I'm actually quite surprised it is blowing up now instead of when its water runs out.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:staredog:
Sweet Jesus Brown Moses you are a machine!

But anyways Syria looks like a huge clusterfuck right now.
Do you think they are going to collapse into civil war too? :ohdear:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

Twitter is saying Washington has recognised them as well, I'm sure other countries will now follow suit.

:suspense:
Well that's pretty much gg for the G man then.

Man watching all these things unfold over the past few months has really been a honor. It has truly lifted my inner :smith: and made me realize that in the modern world no matter how hopeless things get their will always be the chance for true change. :unsmith:
May these revolts and battles be etched into and celebrated within the human story for all time! Let us never forget the fact that even ordinary people can do amazing things when they free themselves from their shackles of fear and doubt!
Right guys? :)

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Xandu posted:

No one knows. I'm not being glib, there's just been no good english (or even French from what I could find) language articles on the subject recently. The Islamist parties (an-Nahda especially) are getting pretty popular, they will be delaying the elections until October to allow more time to prepare. Everything is pretty peaceful at the moment.

They also seem to be making GBS threads their pants about how not to get invade by the crazed dictator next door and how too help topple him as soon as possible.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

There's reports that the US ambassadors house has now been attacked as well.

poo poo is getting real then I guess.
All of this is a big no-no.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

So if Brega is free what does CQ have left of importance in the east?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Been :f5:ing this thread all night.
Watching history being made owns.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Holy poo poo I go away for a few hours and I come back to the regime collapsing before my very eyes.
:suspense:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

ThePutty posted:

I'm going to wear my :f5: key out because of this thread.

:hf: buddy me too.
But its for a good thing right? :unsmith:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

This is pathetic.
The death rattle of a dead regime.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

The split screen on Al Jazeera English is hilarious.

:master: more like it.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

IRQ posted:

If they exist, NATO let them land.

Its a trap!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

boner meter posted:

On the Sky feed, what are they chanting?

"We are the Champions?"

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Torpor posted:

Sultan Al Qassemi
@SultanAlQassemi Sultan Al Qassemi
Mohammed Gaddafi just said the final Islamic prayers, he was stuttering, there appears to have been people inside the house. Phone cut off.

https://twitter.com/#!/SultanAlQassemi

Al Jazeera had him on the phone and then gunfire broke out.

:ohdear: Are his guts decorating his wall now?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

:wtc:

They should put it under a light and check for any :fap: stains.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Scratch Monkey posted:

Here's a head scratcher. Rebels found a deep freezer that apparently contained the dead body of a Russian (maybe?) soldier or something that was stuffed in there by GF.
:nws:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9bf_1314884266

:stare:
That face of his is legitimately terrifying and will now haunt my dreams for years.
Thanks for posting the link. :)
(holy poo poo that's so messed up though)

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Nuclear Spoon posted:

#tahrir on irc.synirc.net

Meanwhile, the Guardian claim to have a picture http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/middle-east-live/2011/oct/20/syria-libya-middle-east-unrest-live

:stare:
Jesus christ with the look of those injuries I would be surprised if he manages to pull through the day.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

J33uk posted:

Oh man there are a few hints about what'll be in the IAEA report on Iran out there (including China explicitly telling Iran to behave) and ooooh boy. It looks like they're actually trying to develop nuclear weapons. This is going to be a diplomatic clusterfuck

I'm looking forward to seeing how this cookie crumbles. :munch:
(I just hope it doesn't end with mushroom clouds anywhere! :ohdear:)

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Lol at my mom launching into an anti islam rant at seeing morsi win.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jarmak posted:

I'd be shocked if they didn't have mortars of some variety in large numbers, they're both stupidly easy to manufacturer and stupidly common. If they can get RPGs they should be able to get light mortars.

edit: it doesn't take that much training to use a mortar system, give me 10 minutes and I can have a guy accurately hitting things within 2k with a 60mm on handheld mode, about an hour to double that range with a tripod

Isn't a mortar standard equipment for like every platoon in the world?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Well chemical weapons are probably the least bad of the three wmds in the first place. :v:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

One mans terrorist...

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Does anyone know how well the Libyan rebels were able to use captured tanks?
Im looking for some sort of precedent for the syrians rebel use of them.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

Apparently RPGs were used against the American embassy in Benghazi by the extremist group Ansar Alsharia.

Holy poo poo thats not good at all. :stare:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Mans posted:

Aren't the Wahabists the extremists? These guys are Salafists right? What's the difference?

Wahabits are a distinct extremist Islamic that arose in central arabia in the 18th century and is effectively the state religion of the KSA. (i think?)
Salafists are basically islamic purists.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

How many legit causus belli's has turkey gained against syria now?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Yeah didn't Egypt's economy take a serious nosedive after the revolution?
Also I bet morsi is feeling somewhat cockey after making that ceasefire in gaza work?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Glitterbomber posted:

Yes, this has literally never happened, something horrible is about to happen and Assad doesn't want anyone knowing.

Oh god dont tell me assad is gonna start gassing the rebels! :ohdear:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

BadChipotle posted:

Okie dokie, I hope I don't walk out of here ridiculed (fingers crossed).

Let's start with the back story behind this:

The government reduced 4 votes to 1 concerning the voting of MPs, the opposition believes that this is not fair and only benefits the Kuwaiti government and not the people themselves and will fuel corruption from what I heard. As a result, the opposition are boycotting the upcoming elections and today they held a march through the streets.

Here are the photos.

The signs say "Dignity, Nation"

Kuwaiti MPs speaking about the current situation

A prayer before the march

Demonstrators chanting.

Helicopters, helicopters everywhere!

Human rights worker speaking with a local human rights organization.

Children holding signs with patriotic slogans

Another MP

A popular talk show host (in the middle).

Love this one, opposition demonstrator holding his igal in frustration.

Others follow.

The sign says "for your sake (Kuwait) we protest"

This sign can be seen throughout the demonstration, it says "we are the boycotters"

A protester chanting slogans against the election law.

End of a long day.

Awesome pics! :)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

McDowell posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20576197

I don't think Putin is happy about those Patriots (hasn't expansion of the NATO missile shield into Turkey been an long time issue - now with urgency)

The article tries to put a positive spin on it - energy and trade, guys!

Also I wonder how hosed up Putin is on pain meds and how that is affecting decision making.

Wait Putin is on pain meds?
For what?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

BBC just reported that Morsi is going to annul his decree!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Svaha posted:

It's like a post-apocalyptic maker fair. It's sort of mind boggling when you think what could happen in a few decades when 3d printer fabrication is more commonplace and DIY weaponized drones start to enter the mix.

The world becomes Thunderdome. :unsmigghh:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

What specifically set off the current round of shia vs sunni infighting?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

I wonder too if they found a ring of those guys operating within France, and didn't really like where it was going.

That or they picked up intel that AQIM was planning to use mali to launch attacks on France itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

So france is saying that their campaign will last 'only for weeks'; anyone want to take bets on how wrong they are?

• Locked thread