Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
Does anyone else occasionally get physically loving angry about the poo poo these people have to put up with?

Also, next time my dad bitches about taxes, I am going to show him this article:

http://bikyamasr.com/wordpress/?p=12424

Even after tax, the average UK income is staggering compared to what most Egyptian people have to live on. And my dad is pretty high above the average. I know I'm not taking poo poo like cost of living into account, but still. He just never seems to realise how good he's got it.

edit: Is there a new channel for all the poo poo going down in the Middle East or are we staying in #tahrir on SynIRC?

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
oh god i was drinking coffee when he mentioned people drinking coffee and helping us burn

with every sip i taste the guilt :ohdear:

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

Cjones posted:

And no American media channels are covering this...

is there an IRC channel?

#tahrir on irc.synirc.net

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
:siren:WARNING: REALLY loving GROSS. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED:siren:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFNmlGYmaeA&feature=player_embedded#at=15

:siren:THAT WAS loving GROSS WASN'T IT?:siren:

I couldn't actually bring myself to watch after the first really gross thing.

I am so angry right now that someone can do this to so many people. So angry.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
For anyone who didn't see the YouTube video I posted earlier, it's been put on Facebook apparently.

:siren:WARNING: hosed UP poo poo:siren:
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=203209353028633&oid=197898230226131&comments&ref=mf

gently caress this. gently caress all of it.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

They interrupt the speech with interviews occasionally, but the translator's a lot better.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
"Nobody can allow Libya to fall at the hands of a fool, a crazy man." :v:

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

I felt like trying my hand at a political drawing so I sketched this up quick.

Any thoughts? I might do more on tunisia and egypt soon.

I like the artstyle, but I really don't know what's going on here.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

Slantedfloors posted:

Looks like the protester is doing that thing where the stabee pulls the weapon into themselves to get at the stabber?

It looks nice, but I don't get what it has to do with the actual situation, though.

That makes sense, I think it's symbolic of the Libyan people giving up their lives to protest against Gadaffi's tyranny.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

Great White Hope posted:

Is there an IRC chat for this thread that I missed? If so I'll feel really silly.

#tahrir on irc.synirc.net

Can this be put at the top of the OP?

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

Apology posted:

Oh, tear gas, I'll just pour this teapot full of water on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX141avwpg0

That guy has balls AND ingenuity. I'm stunned that it worked.

This really interested me, so I decided to do a little digging.http://hackiran.tumblr.com/post/127428228/how-to-neutralise-tear-gas

That's not the most reliable source but if you ever run into trouble with it, I guess it's a guide worth remembering. A lot of sources seem to be saying that vinegar is really effective in neutralising tear gas, and especially vinegar, so it could have been that?

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
You fucks are making me want to play Age of Empires again.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
On a lighter (?) note:

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=6167220

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
I'd be surprised if they weren't.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
I like to think he just enjoys going backwards as a result of the recoil.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

Paradox Personified posted:

What do Yemen and Syria have against Libya that they would either truly vote against or be rumored to have voted against a no-fly zone?

My guess is they want the revolution to fail so people in other countries lose confidence in their own?

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
So if they've got air support now, I guess we don't have to worry about a No Fly Zone?

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
My best friend and his girlfriend are going to Marrakech from 1-7 April. I am worried, should I be?

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

Nonsense posted:

His forces are going to be moving in on Benghazi. I also saw when AJE cut to his speech, i turned it off, because why would anybody want to listen to his speeches.

because lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

Simtex posted:

I hate it when news sites post pictures without captions, or captions that don't describe where they came from/what they are of.

This just popped up on the BBC News website, does anyone know where it was taken/what its of?

Might be the jet that crashed inexplicably?

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

Boner Slam posted:

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
Surely it could be nothing other than Jean-Claude Van Damme?

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
Apparently Saif Gadaffi has been killed in a NATO airstrike. According to a Libyan official, anyway.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4074618,00.html

So Dinnerjacket wants to be bros with Israel?

Arab politics confuses the poo poo out of me.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

Kenning posted:

Just want to point out that this is a misunderstanding of Islamic law. You need four witnesses (who have literally witnessed the act) to prove a case of zina, or adultery (which is a crime for both parties). This is usually interpreted to mean that the (very) harsh punishment for zina is meant to be more of a public indecency thing rather than an issue of private morality. Rape is more complicated, and is often a sort of he said she said thing, so in the absence of overwhelming proof (especially before the advent of rape kits and DNA testing and stuff, i.e. most of Islamic history) both parties would just walk away from the situation because the court couldn't make a determination.

The problem is that Saudi Arabia has such innovative (from a legal perspective) restrictions on the movement and associations of women that if a woman claims she was raped she is admitting that she was in the company of men who weren't her family, which is criminalized, so she'll get punished for that, and since rape can be difficult to determine (and you bet your rear end the loving Saudi authorities don't bend over backwards with their rape kits), the man often gets no punishment. This is where people get the idea that women are punished for being raped under Islamic law, when in fact the issue is that women are often punished in addition to being raped under Saudi law. They are the worst. لعن الله آل سعود

In Pakistan after the introduction of elements of Islamic law into the colonial-era legal system they defined rape as zina bil-jabr or "adultery by force" which made proving rape require 4 witnesses in contrast to the historical standard of Islamic law, which relied on the woman's testimony. That's probably where the idea of witnesses to prove rape came from.

This was actually a really informative post, thanks!

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
Vice President + Commander of Armed Forces have taken over according to Al Jazeera.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
http://twitter.com/#!/ibnezra

This guy is live tweeting the situation from Qalandia. I really wish news sources would specify if it's live ammunition or rubber bullets or whatever the gently caress when they say "opening fire" because most people will jump to the conclusion they're using live rounds, which isn't always the case.

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jun 5, 2011

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

Namarrgon posted:

And I keep hoping to come home and find my house is now made of solid gold and diamonds.

Stop playing so much Minecraft.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Israeli landmines. That says it all really. They are supposed to be banned under international law...

They're not a signatory of the Ottawa Treaty.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

Xandu posted:

Such a weird loving story.

http://electronicintifada.net/blog/ali-abunimah/new-evidence-about-amina-gay-girl-damascus-hoax

Too many pictures and too long to quote, but it provides interesting evidence that the people behind that Gay Girl in Damascus blog are a couple from America.

It's actually a guy living in Istanbul it seems.

http://damascusgaygirl.blogspot.com/2011/06/apology-to-readers.html

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

So it seems some of the rebels are assembling armed remote-control robots :v:

I would gladly give up my place at university to let them study here, because Christ knows they deserve it more than I do

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

suboptimal posted:

Which is weird, because most of the Egyptian lawyers I met in Alexandria were really, really smart people.

They got things wrong deliberately?

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

Mr. Sunshine posted:

So what does the Hebrew say?

Also, let's not turn this into another loving I/P clusterfuck, please.

"Get out". It's already been asked and answered.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

Mozi posted:

There's a difference between Arabic and Hebrew, in case you weren't aware.

Ugh, I'm a loving idiot. Sorry.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

Mozi posted:

I was a little dickish on my part too, sorry for that.

Wouldn't it be great if everyone could resolve and forgive like that? :smith:

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
Ken is the first person on the BBC to actually to say something more than "this is terrible and we should lock them all away".

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
The rebels now have control of Zawiyah centre. Ace. If it's taken that quickly, I'm guessing Gadaffi is either super weak, or has withdrawn all his forces to Tripoli. Or both.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
Goddamn, Brown Moses, take a holiday or something!

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
If you're pissing off internet commenters, you are probably doing the right thing.

Hell, it's not like you're doing the wrong thing here. Unless Gadaffi is the only sane person in a world full of mentals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
Man, gently caress. I've got to resit all my goddamn exams, and now this poo poo is happening and I just had to log on again.

That photorug, god fuckin' drat. I wish Cameron was genuinely a huge authoritarian rear end in a top hat so we could do something like this, feel like that kind of freedom they must be feeling.

gently caress me, look at Benghazi. Incredible.

• Locked thread