Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
A man can't ride your back unless it's bent. He didn't run, he kept filming :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Just woke up and caught the last of his speech.

Anyone have a map of the areas he still controls?

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I like how the news channels are acting like he's already dead, playing all this "life of the dictator" poo poo, and really, how could he cling on to power? Too many people have declared openly against him, and they know how bloodthirsty he is.

He's a ruthless dictator who has fled his capital city; we know what happens to them.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
God I hope some one gets it together and manages to liberate Tripoli soon, it sounds like a nightmare straight out of the last century in there.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
The two who defected were part of a larger mission that was bombing ,i think, Tripoli. When they reported that the ships were bombarding tripoli, they think that was actually the air strikes, since the navy is in the middle of a mutiny right now.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Isn't it a little late for him to flee? And who would ever give him asylum?

I wonder what his kids are cooking up though.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I think your missing out on some context here, so just type Sahel into wikipedia. It's one of the most hosed up , poorest, war torn places in the world, and the mercenaries slaughtering Libyans right now all come from there. Basically, when the Arabs conquered North Africa, they were only stopped by Malaria when they reached the Sahel and people have been fighting over that land non stop for hundreds of years now.

We've had a lot of rumors that they were looting houses , I wouldn't be surprised if they're just murdering people for whatever they have on them.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
This isn't a civil war, this is thousands of mercenaries unleashed on a city of a million people by a mad man.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Not good, Zawia is still a mess from the last attack, said they had no medical supplies and the hospital was a shambles.

As for Egypt, I guess the Generals finally worked out who's going to be the next Mubarak?

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
He didn't have much of an army left to begin with, and he sent large parts of it east and west...

Exactly what is defending Tripoli right now?

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
What does this have to do with Tripoli being controlled by a mad man? It's cute that they want to do something, but were talking about nations where half the population lives on $2 a day and where many people are illiterate.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Once the madman and his family are dead, it seems like the Gadaffi tribe are going to be taking the blame for everything from the massacres to the mercenaries, plus all the little atrocities that we can't keep track of right now... I wonder if any of them realize that they've managed to piss off literally every other tribe in Libya, including the tribes that are supposed to be their vassals or whatever, and they're not a large tribe to begin with.

This isn't even taking the cities and attacks into account, just look at Zawiya, those poor people have been surrounded and under constant attack for eighteen days now, but they're just not giving up, and I don't think they're going to be very merciful when this all over.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
This has been ,what, 20 days now? If he destroyed the entire city it would be a victory for Gadaffi in the same way that the Alamo was a victory for Santa Anna.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
It seems to me that it will be a week, or maybe another month before we can draw any conclusions about whats going to happen to him, but the no fly zone and the complete destruction and demoralization of the loyalist armies looks like a major turning point.

Zappatista posted:

Seems to me that Ghadaffi was trying to draw the USA into the conflict so as to have a chance to play the anti-imperialist card and make rhetorical speeches about oil wars and Christians killing Muslims. Rather than rant about rats and dogs and hallucinating drugs in Nescafe, he could hit on themes that are legitimate sources of anger in the Arab world and paint himself as the victim.

Given the response from the Arab League to the air strikes, the :tinfoil: part of me is wondering whether Ghadaffi's plan has a chance of succeeding in keeping him in power, destabilizing the coalition and improving his stock in the Arab world. Maybe the bastard's a lot smarter than we've given him credit for.

Yes, yes he slaughtered thousands of people and pissed on the UN because it was all part of his cunning plan to have his armies and bases hit by several thousand cruise missles. سخيف احمق

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I suppose parts of the army are catching on to the fact that NATO has hosed them without really lifting a finger, and they will be violently purged if Gadaffi holds on to power, because nothing says morale problems like "PROMOTIONS FOR EVERYONE!".

But at least they're not being burned alive anymore. (I hope)

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Every time I see United States media talking about a "most likely" or "worst case" scenario in a middle eastern nation, I just automatically assume that the opposite will happen. We've been hearing doomsday scenarios ever since the riot camels were deployed in Egypt and none of them have ever been accurate, or even very well informed.

For people who cry about the intervention, gently caress you, even back in February we knew Tripoli was turning into a nightmare. The UN waited until literally the last possible second. If they had not acted than we would be watching mass executions all over eastern libya right now.

Ghetto Prince fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 29, 2011

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
The people in Misrata are fighting so hard because they know what will happen if they don't. Just take a look at what he ordered done to Zawiyah.

There is a reason that they are under a UN resolution you know.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Every option is bad, but to let the stalemate continue for months and possibly years would be evil.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
http://s869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/Mullen2010/Photos/?action=view&current=PD_0025.jpg&newest=1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/expertinfantry/5419941887/

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid. :smith:

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
They're threatening them with tribesmen now? The rebels in Mistrata just broke the libyan army , how the gently caress will a couple hundred tribesmen do anything? Even if they could be convinced, paid off or intimidated into getting themselves killed, there is literally nothing they could do.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Looks mubarak isn't gonna die on Egyptian soil any time soon
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/04/201142421469638622.html

And Misrata is under heavy shelling, Apparently the rebels aren't giving the government in Tripoli any time to do whatever they're planning, and have begun attacking the remaining military forces in the south of the city.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I know tons of Aisha's, I think that's just a weird Iranian thing. Like how Americans in the south have to kill gay people and burn witches.

Also, Putin needs to shut the gently caress up, the last time he was in the world news was when he invaded Georgia and annexed a part of it.

Ghetto Prince fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 27, 2011

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Tunisia is the New Jersey of North Africa, small, filthy, and very densely populated. I think any military action at all would start killing a lot Tunisians, there's about 12 million of them packed into that little bit of land. And I imagine the border towns are packed with refugees now too.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Watching Gadaffi's latest speech, this is just sad. " How could I kill my own people? I defy you to find the bodies!"

I guess he never realized that everyone carries cell phones now, and that those phones can take pictures and video, and upload them to the internet, because we've been watching live, streaming murder for the past two months.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Two of the main fronts, yeah, and the last front is made up of some poor berber towns that have been kicking the libyan army's rear end up and down the western mountains.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
There isn't anyone in Tripoli thinking "Hmmm, maybe he really is the victim here". People made up their minds back when he ordered anti aircraft guns fired into crowds of protesters.

The intervention didn't happen overnight, they spent more than a month asking politely if he could tone down on the mass murder, rape, looting and terror attacks.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
A gas attack would trigger an immediate invasion, it would be considered the same as if he had used nuclear weapons.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
With Usama dead, I'm going to guess that the name Saif Al Arab is only ever going to show up again in history books of the Libyan Civil War.

Al Jazeera posted:

Gaddafi's tanks are attempting to enter the city through Al-Ghiran," a southwestern suburb near the airport of Libya's third largest city, a rebel official said.

AFP correspondents in the Mediterranean port city heard heavy tank fire from 6 am (0400 GMT), answered by heavy machinegun fire from the rebels. "We have counted six dead and several dozen wounded," a medical official told AFP at around 9:30 am (0730 GMT) after the overnight clashes.

Misrata Rumor posted:

attack coming to misurata from the airport...they are not being allowed to retreat or they will be shot by their own side,

Wow, because throwing tanks and soldiers at Misrata has been such a clever and successful plan. I'm suprised they have any combat units left to throw in there. It sounds like those are the very last operational tanks in the area too.

Ghetto Prince fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 2, 2011

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
huh, so they slaughtered a few thousand people to keep Ahmadinejad in power, and less than two years later they're killing him off too, I assume , I don't imagine they can let him live anyway.

Ok, They've lost Misrata, the boats and rockets full of mines are just desperation plans, scraping the bottom of the barrel to find something to shut down the port. The important thing about Misrata right now is that it will keep bleeding the Libyan army out, bit by bit, and every piece of equipment used up or lost in Misrata is a piece of equipment that can't be used against the army in the east.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
they were reporting that last night too, I was hoping they would have something more concrete by now.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

I wonder what the hell is happening in Brega.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
The time for the gadaffi family to go into exile or negotiate politically was BEFORE they got 15000 people killed and provoked a UN intervention. People can talk about political solutions all they want, but the rebels broke out of Misrata, have the army tied down in Brega and the mountains, and now they're choking the regime, a little bit at a time. It's a lot harder on everyone this way, and I don't see how they can just talk their way out of it.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
He wont live to get near the front lines if hes wandering the streets at 3 am and taking pictures.

What a sick fucker , taking pictures of himself in a civil war, does he think hes on vacation?

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Just skimmed the last 200 posts thinking Gadaffi had died or something, instead its nothing but bullshit and trolling.

Anyway, it looks like Tuesday is going to be interesting.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

2ndclasscitizen posted:

What are the ramifications if he has been killed?

Dancing in the streets?

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
yep, dancing in the streets, called it.

Wow, and this means Gadaffi outlasted Saleh, I don't think anyone would have bet on that happening.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
They put a lot of the army in Brega, they threw most of the rest into misrata and the mountains.

I think your right, this army would have to be conscripts and true believers , and I don't see how they can raise another one. God, the rebels turned Misrata into a meat grinder and slaughtered three brigades of the best equipped troops in Libya , and that was with improvised weapons a month ago, it's been supplied and reinforced every day since then from Bhengazi.

This is going to be like something out of world war 1.

Ghetto Prince fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 8, 2011

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Looks like its all starting to collapse for Gadaffi, mostly because his die hard supporters have all died hard.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
To put this into perspective, Gadaffi's forces have killed about 15000+ people over the past four months. You can bitch about NATO loving up, but the alternative to this would have been mass executions and a terror campaign all over eastern libya, which is what they did to Zawiyah , tried to do in Misurata and were getting ready to do to Benghazi before the intervention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Wsobchak posted:

Why exactly should we trust these doctors? Physicians are typically rich, upper class of the society, and they have much to gain if this country gets subjugated by western capitalists, unlike common folks.

That doesn't make any goddamn sense.

Wsobchak posted:

Hell, why should we even believe this note-slipping doctor actually exists? Is there a video footage of him slipping the note to our intrepid western jounalist? Could he accept a interview and talk about how no people are being killed by bombs despite NATO showering the city with them? Again, you're taking western media's biased report at face value. There's no evidence that Libya government was lying or altering the truth of the situation in any of the instances you brought up.

The pictures and video of all of those things have been all over this thread, ever since Gadaffi first turned anti aircraft guns onto the crowds back in February and tried to say it was attacking al queda recruits on drugs. This entire second thread was made just to cover what a nightmare Libya was turning into.

Ghetto Prince fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 27, 2011

• Locked thread