Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Cat Mattress posted:

The Prophet's favorite wife, Aisha, was married at the ripe old age of 6. Being a Humbert Humbert is just part of being a good Muslim and trying to live like the Prophet.

The only sex crime in Islam that a man may commit is getting it up the butt from another man. ISIS isn't going to disown anyone for marrying a little girl. Just go look at the marriageable age in Saudi Arabia.

Straight up racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Golbez posted:

Today I learned all Muslims are of the same race, and all members of that race are Muslim.

Congratulations, forums user Golbez, your keen understanding of the intricacies of the English language has allowed you to protect another innocent from terminological abuse. God forbid someone's offended remark possibly, torturously be taken to imply a position literally no one has--but no, you were here to save us.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Strategic Tea posted:

Paedophilia is not some kind of unheard of crime that only appears because of scary foreign religions' influence. Witness the slow revelation in the UK that absolutely everyone in the public eye who was alive before the year 2000 was a kiddy fiddler.

I think it's because Charlemagne liked to gently caress his daughters, and so by emulating him, they become True Europeans.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
It's disingenuous to assume that folks value Americans more when they try to attack these policies when they get applied to American citizens. Oftentimes, they're just hoping the circumstances allow them to get any victory whatsoever in favor of the rights of people not to get blowed up at the whim of some Red Bull-sipping Air Force colonel in shorts in a drone control center in Tuscaloosa. The hope is that if we can say it's bad to kill Americans, then next time we can say it's bad to kill non-Americans in this way.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

My Imaginary GF posted:

Think of it like a public health epidemic. Radical islamism is an infectious disease that must be contained. Car deaths are routine, malaria, a solved problem; fundamentalism, an issue we resolved through the Wars of Religion and the American Civil War. Secular Federalism won out. In that sense, ISIS is an EVD of the Middle-East: Uncontained, uncontrolled, and has potential to hit the homeland.

That's a horribly corrosive metaphor. The "mowing the grass" and other preventive measures that states are using is actually a major cause of radical, militant Islam. It's the natural expression of a people who have been oppressed and seen their leaders executed or bought out, and their families bombed with American or European or Soviet-provided bombs.

Your metaphor only makes sense if people were trying to prevent malaria by spraying water indiscriminately on mosquitoes, leaving behind pools of standing water as a result that makes it more likely for even more mosquitos to be bred than could have in the original situation.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

My Imaginary GF posted:

Solution: Spray the water with a napalm-like gel and incinerate after the eradication campaign. Alternatively, use a chlorine-based gas.

You don't seem to comprehend how metaphors work. The whole point of my tortured example was to try to modify your metaphor to make sense, not to suggest Solving Malaria With One Simple Trick.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Militant islam on the level of ISIS is neither rational nor natural to its human hosts, and should be managed as if it were a public health issue. Militant islam is an epidemic that must be contained.

Dehumanizing language is worrisome wherever it shows up, but especially when it's from those in power toward those who have been consistently oppressed. This is a Middle Eastern version of the Khmer Rouge, and as such trying to gin up public support by attempting to frame the participants as "monsters" is likely to do little more than fan domestic racism.

My Imaginary GF posted:

There is evidence for several answers, all of which have high costs in terms of public relations, manhours, lives, American lives, allied lives, and money. Do you want a realistic answer for an evidence-based policy success to use as an example?

You misunderstand me. I'm a cynic, and I assume that the USA will continue as it has to choose what's expedient for their markets. As Arundhati Roy once put it more eloquently than I ever could:

Today Corporate Globalization needs an international confederation of loyal, corrupt, preferably authoritarian governments in poorer countries to push through unpopular reforms and quell the mutinies. It needs a press that pretends to be free. It needs courts that pretend to dispense justice. It needs nuclear bombs, standing armies, sterner immigration laws, and watchful coastal patrols to make sure that it's only money, goods, patents, and services that are being globalized - not the free movement of people, not a respect for human rights, not international treaties on racial discrimination or chemical and nuclear weapons, or greenhouse gas emissions, climate change, or god forbid, justice. It's as though even a gesture towards international accountability would wreck the whole enterprise.

So you can continue to pretend like this is all very simple and obvious (or who knows, maybe you believe it?), and I'm sure the actions of these states will resemble the short-sighted courses of action you suggest and the horrific ways of thinking that you espouse, and that they'll trot those out the next time this tragedy replays itself.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

My Imaginary GF posted:

In that calculus, what are 30 million dead Syrians compared to 50 million dead from a true regional war with complete state collapse to follow for the survivors? Is that not a good solution that doesn't cost too much money?

Are you saying we should kill 30 million Syrians because if we don't 50 million will die?

Are you having a breakdown? Before the tents comment, you seemed to be conservative but sane.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

My Imaginary GF posted:

I am saying that now is the time to look away on any ethnic operations our men in the region may commit

What the gently caress is an "ethnic operation"?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

SedanChair posted:

No you have to have a solution and if you say there is no solution then the solution is bombs. :colbert:

This is the subtitle for every D&D thread, isn't it?

Also:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2757484/Congress-scrutinizes-Obama-military-strategy.html

"Close-combat advising"

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Dilkington posted:

What if the warmongers don't really want to do something "positive for the people" (aren't you skeptical of that?), but rather, to weaken and destabilize a state whose existence is anathema to any sort of positive ME order.

Should "positive for the people" align with positive ME order? If not, could you explain where the two diverge?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Volkerball posted:

Cross posting from the politoons thread. Animated short about the Syrian Civil Defense guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKdVvqi5Vh8

I don't mean to be an rear end in a top hat, but it sure looks like there's an actual dead child at the end of this cartoon.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Jarmak posted:

Ya man getting killed in large numbers was part of their master plan all along.

How do those guys go on massive torture/murder/cruxifiction sprees without upsetting the populace? It seems like the US can't do so much as drop a hellfire on an ISIS commander without activating the ward which causes 10 more to spring forth from the ground like golems.

I'm sure Raytheon is developing an entire line of network-centric weapons systems that behead and crucify in the hopes of profiting from this very conundrum.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
So I finally heard an Arabic-speaker (Iraqi) pronounce Daesh. He made it sound like "dash" and all this time I thought it was long-a dashe. This makes me think the thread title missed a great daesh-dot SOS joke...

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Atomizer posted:

(and ISIS has apparently acquired a couple dozen M1A1Ms from the routed Iraqi Army.)

Wow, really? Have they been in action?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yes, I can.

Power abhors a vacuum.

You sound more and more like a rheumy old white guy clamoring for a bygone age when things made sense.

You're indistinguishable from this guy:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

My Imaginary GF posted:

America plays realpolitik for democratic ends. This is what brings freedom, truth, justice, and equality to the world and why, despite past mistakes, the American cause is peaceful.

:psyboom:

I think you're full of poo poo but, more importantly, Mark Twain thinks you're full of poo poo.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

My Imaginary GF posted:

When there was a strong christian minority in the region.

Correlation is not causation. But why the gently caress am I even wasting my time pointing this out when there's gems like this:

Hobo Siege posted:

In all honestly, killing everyone and everything in the region is probably the only long-term solution...

e: holy poo poo, that reads a little bit sociopathic.

This thread is loving creepy.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Kaal posted:

Genocide, even in its broadest definition...

Rent-A-Cop posted:

ISIS isn't an ethnic group...

Where were you Genocide Semantics Nazis when these assholes were spouting off:

Hobo Siege posted:

In all honestly, killing everyone and everything in the region is probably the only long-term solution

My Imaginary GF posted:

I agree that there will be a genocide in the region. If the only options are having a genocide by US-aligned groups against ISIS, or having a genocide by ISIS against minorities in the region, which would you prefer?

Why is it you only show up when someone says maybe regular people shouldn't wish for Roman-style political solutions to modern international crises?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

My Imaginary GF posted:

I do not generally advocate for a policy of dehumanization; in the case of ISIS, an exception must have its costs and benefits weighed.

And Hamas, and whatever the next group spawned by this kind of toxic thinking creates.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

My Imaginary GF posted:

Why is it that "maybe regular people" advocate for policies which benefit ISIS?

Because they recognize that the continued attempts to subvert and control a region wherein the people doing so do not recognize the inherent humanity of its inhabitants can only lead to a more degraded condition and never a less degraded one. Jesus Christ, we were fine with Saddam Hussein doing worse than ISIS ever did, even sending him more money when he was doing his worst. We were fine with all sorts of hosed up violations of basic human dignity because the guy doing it was on our side. As a result, we poisoned the entire region. Now, we're going in because this time they really are Orcs/COBRA/Nazis/Cartoon Evil Bad Guys and we promise that this time it's really clear cut and a few combat brigades are just what the doctor ordered.

You don't think this is a legitimate policy claim, to argue for the treatment of a people in a geopolitical region as real human beings, because you support their continued oppression for lovely materialist ends like cheap gas for lovely SUVs. I'm actually okay with that, when you're wearing the Realpolitick Beanie and pretending like you're making Hard Choices. But then when you start talking about good and evil and supporting democracy and freedom, it sounds so blatantly, horribly dishonest that I feel the need to rail against it. You're not doing that, you're just feeding the Evil Compost Heap a new helping of Evil Table Scraps.

You don't think this is legitimate policy suggestion, but the reality is that you don't have a policy either, except for the US to become the Global Israel and mow the grass everywhere all the time.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Volkerball posted:

Yeah, he would if we were talking about the McKinley administration. :wtc:

It came from a claim that the USA had been doing God's work since the early 19th century. It's also a seminal work on imperialism and colonialism and the various arguments brought forth during the period in question in regard to the Philippines are directly applicable to the short-sighted, racist ideology on display today.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

My Imaginary GF posted:

Frankly, America needs a stronger zero-tolerance policy on funding terrorist organizations.

You're actually serious, you think a guy who bought a schlocky coffee mug should go up on charges for funding terrorists? Do you think his $9 went straight to Iran for missiles or do you think they used it to fund the Assad Wing of the Chlorine Gas Factory? This guy didn't fund terrorists, he bough tourist tchotchkes from some peddler. If I go to Juarez and buy a skull mask from a peddler, I am not funding narco-terrorists, either.

If you want to be taken seriously, you'd know the difference between funding terrorists and buying crap like that. But since your schtick is to pretend to be just as out-of-touch and clickbait as the US Congress, I guess that kind of subtle distinction between organizations providing millions to fund groups you think are dangerous and a drunk goon buying a Cafe Press coffee mug are too much to ask.

Wait, better question, do you think we should pull his fingernails out before or after we waterboard the poo poo out of that traitorous, baby-murdering son of a bitch?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

CommieGIR posted:

Just remember: This is the same poster who thinks we need to do a preemptive strike on Iran.

Have they started selling coffee mugs, too? gently caress, we might have a coffee mug gap!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I won't lighten the gently caress up, because you're talking about the lives of my loving family every single time you do this. Hezbollah literally killed my cousin, and while I can accept that they did this while defending their country from invasion, I cannot accept someone trolling with pro-Israel views and then loving paying these very people! They can credibly shoot rockets into Israel and kill my friends and family, not yours.

How many Israelis has Hezbollah killed in the last year? How many more do you think they'll kill after the $.89 (profit after markup, distribution, licensing and peddler fees) they made off of The Great Kitsch Sale of 2014?

Lighten the gently caress up, forums poster TheImmigrant did not suddenly reveal himself to be a combination of George Soros and Adnan Khashoggi. He bought a stupid mug and flag like any hipster would. The number of pot-smoking Israelis I've seen in San Francisco wearing the same Hezbollah t-shirt (based on smell might actually be *the* same t-shirt) makes this seem even more contrived.

You fuckers equating this to material support for terrorism are certifiable.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Like it's not even a thing. Bragging about it in a loving internet forum, ffs.

But it isn't a thing, you idiot. That's not "supporting a terrorist organization". That's buying a Mug and a Cheap Flag and Maybe A Chicken? and whatever other crap was in that picture (A Tablecloth?).

gently caress, seriously, if the picture had been him handing a machine-gun to a bunch of masked figures, or even a bowie knife, or something, then the outrage is warranted, but his entire narrative was "Lol, got drunk in Hezbollahstan and then bought this goofy poo poo." He's just being a stupid hipster, and you're grasping at straws and MIGF is continuing his mental decline when you try to make it sound like he's helping the Terror Team to Kill Democracy.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Al-Saqr posted:

yeah, me insulting the looks of a girl and pointing out that she's psycho if she thinks that people who she (as in the country she proudly represents) bombs and threatens regularly is willing to be friends with her is racism. as opposed to her, who will in a year or two gladly raise weapons in defense of racism, ethnic cleansing, and apartheid. I'm the bad guy here.

Pretending to know the mind of a person, especially when you're predicting their trajectory based on that, and blaming them for everything their people do, and assuming the worst about somebody to a degree so as to dehumanize and make them irredeemable is the definition of bigotry.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yup.
It scales the entire gamut, from 'Happiest person on earth' to 'standing in the middle of a bombing run' and everything in between.
Guy's wife just successfully went through 13 hours of labour? "Allahu Akbar."
Same guy's father just died? "Allahu Akbar."

There really isn't an equivalent word or phrase for it in English. It's absolutely steeped with cultural meaning and the contexts in which it's used.

Among what communities? I think ha'Allah and insh'Allah and alhamdulillah and subhan'Allah and Nauzhubillah are far more common than Allahu Akbar among every Muslim community except guys with Tow Missiles and bowie knives.

Nobody I know says Allahu Akbar when something lucky/blessed occurs, they say alhamdulillah for things and subhan'Allah for people. Likewise, nobody says Allahu Akbar when things are really bad.

The thought that Allahu Akbar is some kind of Islamic catchphrase in use outside of jihadis (and prayer, of course) sounds crazy. Is it that way in ME?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Youtube videos of the Syrian conflict and other violent jihadi propaganda contains the prominent use of Allahu Akbar.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Like I said it depends on context and it's said quite a bit, especially when people are quite emotional.
It's no catchphrase, far from it, but it's an expression and concept that is absolutely central to the religion and as such holds a great deal of importance.

You don't know what you're talking about, and it's making you sound stupid as you dissemble. No one agreed with you, not just me, and it sounds like one of those silly assumptions someone with no real experience with Islam makes (though I granted that it might be something particular to Muslims in the ME). You should just admit that you're wrong and that Allahu Akbar isn't used all the time for everything, because it's not.

Except in TFF, where people love saying that poo poo when their evil team wins.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

fade5 posted:

and I've even started to understand all the various three-letter Kurdish acronyms.

Literally impossible.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

SoggyBobcat posted:

So if being racist assholes to Muslims is the key to preventing radicalization why is the number of Canadian fighters so low?

Ipso facto Canadians are horrible racists.

Or maybe it's some kind of warm weather, no terrorism, racist triangle that you only get to pick one from.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Young Freud posted:

I mean, not only would you have to film it, but you'd have to do something that's going to top beheading to phase a bunch of hardcore fanatics, like feeding them alive to pigs or throwing them into acid just to let ISIS know they'll never get into Heaven to claim their 72 virgins.

Jesus dude, you having fun there?

Also, Islam doesn't work like that, as far as I know. I don't think the Qu'ran lists "Were eaten alive by pigs" or "Thrown into acid" in the No Heaven For You list.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Young Freud posted:

Doesn't Islamic afterlife, like most religions, have issues with body integrity? Like you have to die whole in order to enjoy the afterlife? I know there's an actual prohibition against cremation, and I've recall that stuff like chopping criminals hands off, beheadings, and posthumous multilation has some sort of religious connection, like you're denying them Heaven by doing so. I also recall that Hezbollah or someone using suicide bombers pretty much lying to them about the condition of their bodies after bombing.

The prohibition against mutilation came from Muhammad after the Battle of Badr (I think) in response to the pagan Arabs mutilating corpses for the reasons you mention, stating very clearly that it had no effect on the fallen Muslim soldiers (martyrs go straight to Heaven bypassing The Day of Judgment) and simultaneously that Muslims are forbidden from doing the same.

But, like with everything else, a couple hundred years later the Tortures of the Grave are introduced and other Arab cultural practices like mutilation having some kind of effect on the afterlife get reincorporated into Islamic dogma (the same way female genital mutilation, a pre-Islamic African practice, has started to make its way into Saudi Arabia).

Which is to say I guess it's not so surprising that you may have thought that was actual Islamic scripture, but it's an Arab, and not Muslim, belief, though the Muslims who believe in it will tell you it's Islam. Some other things like that (along with FGM) are thinking your soul is in your tailbone (Arab again, I think) or praying at a saint's shrine (Shia and South Asian) will heal you or other pre-Islamic cultural practices that get incorporated through hadith into what we think of as medieval and modern Islam. I always thought a great example of culture as Islam was the incorporation of UFOs and magnets and racialism and other popular culture of the time into the Nation of Islam.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Is a nikab, not a hijab. But that's cool, quasi-legitimate news organization.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

pengun101 posted:

don't read the comments if you value anything.

Wow, seriously, it's more one-sided and vitriolic than a Youtube page.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Runaktla posted:

Hell, if you limited me like the Muslim religion limits its own, maybe I'd wanna behead/light a Jordanian on fire too.

Yes, you sound like just the kind of person who would do that.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Count Freebasie posted:

We lost the war when the American public came to accept that fact and refused to support it and saw it as a lost cause.

We lost the Vietnam War as soon as we entered Vietnam to support a corrupt, violent government. But if you want to cut off a man's penis and testicles and shove them in his mouth, then I'm sure you can find whatever excuse necessary to justify it.

In sane people's news, Pew research shows a massive increase in concern about extremism in the Middle East. The whole "Moderate Muslims should clean their house if they want to be treated like real human beings" is a bigoted argument but maybe there will be increased public dialogue and attempts at using new methods to address social issues? Or maybe it will just justify more Egypt-style returns to dictatorship.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Sergg posted:

Yes ISIS is the first group in the world to murder people brutally. Their brutality certainly isn't a reflection of generations of government torture and repression. Their soldiers certainly didn't serve in the Syrian and Iraqi militaries at some point.

Surely they warrant a revocation of our basic concepts of due process and human rights in response. We must burn them alive without trial, as we did to the Nazi leaders at the end of WWII.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
The hadith are basically a collection crap that muck up an otherwise beautiful theology. To wit, they consist of:

1) All the poo poo that justifies powerful people doing lovely things to weak people (which is really what you'd expect from scholars whose patrons were powerful concubine-loving men).
2) Made up new scripture (hadith Qudze (sp?)) to make Islam more of a messianic cult.
3) Religious intolerance in direct contradiction to the Quranic injunction "There is no compulsion in religion".
4) A host of horrible minor superstitious rituals based on the what the prophet did, like how you're supposed to trim your fingernails and eat your chicken.

If you got rid of the hadith (I know, who am I kidding, downplayed them at least, turned a modern skeptical eye on them, something), and the horrible priest class that's grown up inside Islam (What Bernard Lewis calls the Christian Disease that requires an Islamic Reformation) then you'd end up with a pretty decent religion that uplifts human beings and enjoins them to charity, civility and learning.

And if I said that in Syria, I'd get burned in a cage and if I said that in Saudi Arabia, I'd get stoned to death.

Edit: There are also a bunch of lovely hadith about Muhammad being polite to kaffirs that dump trash on his head, and all sorts of other things, but they only exist to be trotted out when someone complains of the hadith saying its okay to rape and murder and sell babies to aliens.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Dude, what's with all the latent homosexuality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Cat Mattress posted:

Religions don't exist.

More precisely, they have no physical existence. They have no platonic form. There's no such thing as Christianium or Islamium on the periodic table of elements. So what is the physical form of a religion? Its practitioners.

You've got people like Jack Chick (or the famous lovely tracts) who will tell you that Catholics are not Christians and in fact worship the devil. He bases this on (his own interpretations of) the texts. Based on your argumentation, he is correct whereas the billion peope who are Catholics are not.

The issue here is like the question of descriptivism vs. prescriptivism in linguistics. Is a language defined by how rule books say it must be spoken, or by how people actually speak it?

That's a very scholastic position and its roots are in the Catholic discomfort with "worship of the Bible". There are much more legalistic religions, one of them is Islam, and it's part of the reason why you see such an emphasis on theology even in the modern Muslim world.

Atheists like to pretend that religion is all the same, but there are fundamental differences in the tenets, practice, ceremony and beliefs of the major religions, and that affects the cultural and social expressions of the groups that grew up in them intellectually and philosophically and politically (especially the atheist movements, which is why post-evangelical atheism is such a pox). Also, liberals want to humanize Muslims by claiming that Muslim fundamentalists are the same as Hindu Fundamentalists or Christian Fundamentalists or Jewish Ultra-Orthodoxy, but there are real differences and ignoring them prevents you from understanding them.

edit: By atheists I mean New Atheists. Cool existentialist atheist philosophers weren't nearly so bone-headed.

• Locked thread