Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Nonsense posted:

It's a lovely war, really.

http://www.obamaslibya.com/ really, really, :nws::nms:

Pretty sure this is a satire site, if anyone's wondering. C.f. the hilarious CIA video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Xandu posted:

al-Jazeera obtained documents from Bab al-Aziziya showing contact between Kucinich and Libyan intermediaries as well as with former Asst. Secretary of State David Welch. I don't see any article about it yet, but lots of stuff on this twitter account from AJE. Really sketchy stuff with Welch, he was basically advising them to exploit the Syrian situation.

http://twitter.com/!/andrewchappelle

Article is here.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

i poo poo trains posted:

This is from a page back, but this is a bit of a distressing development. Willingness to use a tank in a guerrilla war seems to indicate that whoever is in charge of the FSA forces in Rastan is trying to form a jacquerie, which will certainly end badly. It makes you wonder what their long term plan is.

I looked up that word but I still don't understand what you're saying. It's already a civil war.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Nenonen posted:

I don't think they're likely to be fuel tanks either, though, it would be wasteful to dump empty tanks.

Not exactly unprecedented

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Crasscrab posted:

Is Caro like legit mentally unstable or is he autistic?

Paranoid schizophrenia without a doubt. http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2299

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Crasscrab posted:

Yes. Most modern military aircraft are equipped with avionics that can detect the infrared tracking signal of an anti-aircraft system.

Ah yes, the engine thermometer.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Having a massive argument with a friend on Facebook about Israeli justification for this conflict and others.

I don't know how people justify this crap.

Is this reliable as a good informative overview of the Palestinian side of the conflict?

http://www.thehypertexts.com/Nakba%20Holocaust%20Palestinians%20Parables%20of%20Zion.htm

Note the thread title. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3517542

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Devil Child posted:

And anybody who heard the "gum cooker" story of the Syrian torture chambers knows that the nations military is particularly demented and violent even by the standards of the region.

Heard the what?

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

quote:

a Saudi-financed flow of arms from Croatia

This seems to be the only place that the Saudis are mentioned in the article. Seems like an important part of the story. What's the evidence?

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Kaal posted:

Well it's not standard English, which is why it's not in a dictionary. But there's lots of those invented words that are hanging around the periphery of English usage - corporate-speak like "leveragize" or faux-academic composites like "irregardless". Typically "qualm" is used to mean "stop" and also "reassure", as in "qualm doubts". The variant comes from having similar roots as "quell".

"Can be used as a verb" is not the same claim as "can be used as a verb, by idiots who don't know what it means".

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010
Gnawing on a corpse is small potatoes as war atrocities go, especially in a war like this one where at least one side is routinely torturing people to death. It seems like people only care because it's a novel kind of savagery, instead of the routine savagery we've become accustomed to.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

McDowell posted:

You can read more on RT and Infowars.

I'd rather not!

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Aurubin posted:

Is it weird that I think George Bush had a more successful foreign policy presidency, and he started two decade spanning wars?

Yes, it's weird.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Al Jazeera is very terrorist sounding.

They probably could have saved themselves some trouble by transliterating as "Al Jazira" instead.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

http://terpconnect.umd.edu/~choi/MSDS/Airgas/ETHYLENE.pdf

You're also dealing with other environmental variables such as humidity and wind, as well as the effect of deflagration. Concentrations are only immediately threatening above 800ppm and it dissipates rapidly.

Anything with a half-life of 1.9 days is going to be detectable for a pretty long time.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Young Freud posted:

Be glad that they changed those bomblets' color to high-visibility yellow for easy cleanup as well, because this is what they used to look like...

That's a Vietnam-era Dragontooth cluster mine, not a bomblet. Mines are like intentional UXO.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Ardennes posted:

Yeah hand-waving mixed with some hint of sociopathy. We bombed the country, called it free and let it fester. Being the police man of the world doesn't let you poo poo and run, you break it you buy it. If you want to say Libya was already broken, thats too bad because once you intervene it becomes your responsibility as well since you guided that end state. The United States wanted Qaddafi gone and was willing to make the results workable for the population.

Does Libyan popular support for intervention vs. nation-building even factor into this analysis?

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Libya is not Kosovo, though. What adversary ethnic groups would peacekeepers be keeping off of each others' throats in Libya?

It's no Kosovo, but there have been some reports of ethnic cleansing.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

There is no doubt that is true but you can't dismiss the US's missteps then claim we will just screw up again.

You seem to be in denial of the fact that "missteps" are the absolute norm when it comes to nation-building. Even under the best circumstances, it requires decades of unwavering commitment, and where are you expecting to find that exactly?

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

Do you have some other examples? Because when I look at poo poo like this, I sure don't see a shell lazily spiraling at the camera, full sharpness, for upward of a second. We are literally talking about speeding bullets here, they don't just lean back and throw them like a football.

That's a machine gun bullet. There's no comparison.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

I guess it could just be a really long range shot and zoomed all the way in (something like a half mile). Or a missile.

Zoom is my guess. It can really gently caress with your sense of depth:

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Paper Mac posted:

Well, no, for many Muslims, it doesn't, which is why this is an issue in the first place.

Adherents of Christianity and Buddhism make the same claim that their beliefs transcend religion. It's a transparent attempt to set themselves apart (from the other religions that are doing exactly the same thing). This is not a realm where self-identification trumps established terminology.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

computer parts posted:

So Bush told the CIA to start rebellions three years after he left office because ???

This seems like a good time to invoke Poe's law.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Pimpmust posted:

Wait, was it not the Syrian Army that was holding the prison in the first place? Presumably any prisoners would have been put there by well, them, so how does this "liberation" story work out :psyduck:

The prisoners get to eat again.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Volkerball posted:

It's not even really in the news anyway.

Iraq is the top story on Google News.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

The might have, but unfortunately you can't armour the rotor blades. And a bullet in those will make the day of the passengers more exciting for sure.

You can totally armor them. The Apache and Hind do, for starts.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Heavy artillery is also lot more vulnerable to counter-battery fire than the usual rockets and mortars employed by Iraqi fighters.

Do we have any reason to think the Iraqi Army has the discipline and training for counter-battery fire?

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Sergg posted:

When you're defending the guy who is dropping nerve gas on the suburbs of his own capitol city as "the good guy" then maybe it's time to reexamine your priorities.

The best guy is not necessarily a good guy. Not sure why people have so much difficulty with this distinction.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

cochise posted:

Apparently it's in not so great shape and that even ISIS brought in engineers to do repair work.

Article makes it sound like electrical repair, not structural repair.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I'm sure that's what they think, but Ghaddafi didn't do so well, or Mubarak, or Morsi. It's not even like Maliki is that strong of a strong man.

D&D goons are well known for their ability to recognize sarcasm.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Sergg posted:

Cippalipus unironically called him "the good guy"

Quote it. All I've seen is a bunch of people who don't understand the difference between "better" and "good".

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Volkerball posted:

Pretty generous to call ISIS people.

Cool, dehumanization, always a great way to approach foreign policy.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Sergg posted:

Dude even if Kevin Dawes made it out of Syria he'd just get killed in the next conflict. He'd probably be sneaking into Mariupol right now so he could fight some Russians. Let me tell you, this is a way better end than most schizophrenics meet. Schizophrenia is one of the deadliest psychiatric illnesses because of the high rates of suicide. On average a person with schizophrenia will die 25 years earlier than someone without it.

I'm assuming you didn't see the reports that he was last seen in Branch 215.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

As already repeatedly discussed, these stories are unconfirmed http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/isis.asp

Don't let that get in the way of your bloodlust though.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Captain Mog posted:

Except we went to war in Iraq in '03 based on unfounded suppositions. There isn't much of a comparison to make. There's no disputing that ISIS is wreaking havoc in Iraq. There's no disputing that they have beheaded American & British citizens. There is no disputing that they will become a larger threat to the West if allowed to take over the country. It's best to tackle this head-on at this point, doing anything else will just create a worse situation further down the line.

The important with Iraq is that the rationales for war are a thin veneer over straight-up bloodlust. We're going to war because they got our goat, plain and simple.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Armani posted:

I have, plenty of times. He's a hosed up stoner that believes in energies and cosmic forces but vaccines literally cause disease and are killing us.

There's a strong chance he's having his first schizophrenic episode :(

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010
Unapologetic bloodlust is a strategy unto itself. Hell, it works for ISIS!

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

euphronius posted:

Oops insignicant militia when over a nominal line. Better immediately destroy some oil facilities.

Come back when you're sober.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Armani posted:

I wonder if this was the sorta suff my friend's drill sergeant was talking about.

I wanna find a better source on this because, true or not, it's apparently being used as a talking point in my social circles.

This is a really hard thread to read and I am grateful for all the news and viewpoints.

E: I feel loving miserable heartbroken and powerless so what can I do? I have a paycheck coming tomorrow. I'd rather be proactive than just feel nailed down by guilt.

How can I actually help?

Paypal your savings to thegoodguys@hotmail.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010
Turkey continues to tread a fine line

quote:

As Kurdish defenders held off Islamic State militants in Syria’s border town of Kobani, US defence officials said that Turkey will let US and coalition forces use its bases, including a key installation within 100 miles of the Syrian border, for operations against Islamic State (Isis) militants in Syria and Iraq.

• Locked thread