Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

fspades posted:

Nobody has said he came to power in a coup, so I'm not sure what you're on.

Incorrect

Liberal_L33t posted:

In my opinion, abetting the AKP jackals in their coup in return for access to invade Iraq was the worst thing the Bush administration ever did to the middle east

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I just googled ATGM and realized they're anti-tank missiles. I thought it was an acronym for "Air To Ground Munition", and was wondering "Where the gently caress are these rebels getting all this air support from?"

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

verbal enema posted:

Can anyone point me in the direction of some good articles on the origins of ISIS.

Somebody linked me to this a few months ago, and I thought it was good.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

As if anyone seriously believes there's a single force that could unite the Middle East for a thousand years. :rolleyes:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

quote:

"When the situation between Daraa and Suweida became tense, Balous kidnapped people from Daraa on multiple occasions to swap them for people from Suweida who were kidnapped in Daraa. All parties that kidnap people in Suweida hand them over to Sheikh Balous, who treats them well until they are swapped."

Wait, wait, let me see if I've got this right. The regime is kidnapping people from everywhere to conscript them. He doesn't like them kidnapping his people, so he goes to another town and kidnaps people from there, then trades them to the regime for his own guys back? Is that what this is saying?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

MothraAttack posted:

I followed this girl on Twitter because she seemed like a prime example of a lonely white girl getting radicalized by ISIS online. Then, abruptly in March, she went silent. Turns out my hunches were correct. Glad she's kinda all right, in the end.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/28/world/americas/on-isis-terms-courting-a-young-american.html?smid=pl-share&_r=0

This is just so sad to me. That poor woman. If her grandparents hadn't been paying attention, she might very well be in loving Syria right now as a glorified fucktrophy. There's something so incredibly sinister to me about people who will use kindness and community, reaching out to disaffected and lonely people, as a tool to recruit them for horrible poo poo. The final sentence on that article made me depressed as gently caress. :(

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

So when your team loses, you can send them right on in. :v:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

My Imaginary GF posted:

You know, it'd be far easier to bomb everything which moves into and out of Palmyra and to starve them out. Starving terrorists don't have the gas to desecrate antiquities.

It wouldn't take two days for ISIS to start loading buses full of widows and orphans and driving them back and forth. Then they release the video, and gain another 10,000 followers.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Jagchosis posted:

Here is a cool video of a Libyan MiG flying way too close to the ground and knocking a dude over:

Kind of looks like two dumb fucks walking out onto a runway as a jet is taking off.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I went back and paused the video, and you're right. :doh:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Sergg posted:

You guys realize that Assad is literally worse than ISIS and that he's the entire reason they have such a huge power base in Syria, right? He actively fomented their rise to power and was even providing air support for their offensive against rebels near Aleppo.

You can point out all the flaws in the bride you want, but it doesn't make much of a difference when her dad is standing behind the groom with a shotgun.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Schizotek posted:

Baghdadi was always just their head token supporting cleric anyway. He doesn't seem to have ever been an operational planning sort of guy.

They would have been screwed when he was injured, if not for a cache of healing potions they managed to steal from Assad.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Sucrose posted:

Perhaps you just enjoy airstrikes.

Hell, who doesn't? :v:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

While MIGF might be exaggerating a little, (:v:) are we seriously going to question Iran's presence in South America? We've known Hezbollah operates throughout Latin countries for over a decade.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

California? :v:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Good god, ISIS has weaponized anime. They're truly on the cutting-edge of military technology.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Those loving JUTY freaks deserve all the DERFs we can drop on them.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Volkerball posted:

First really damning piece I've seen about peshmerga ethnic cleansing in Iraq. It's not genocide ethnic cleansing, but it seems like it's pretty certain that they are looting and burning down Arab villages, then blaming it on ISIS, with the intent of driving non-Kurds out of the region.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/07/23/peshmerga-war-crimes-ethnic-cleansing-islamic-state-iraq/

I think Fade nailed it:

fade5 posted:

You stupid, stupid motherfuckers, why would you do this?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Yes, but can we make them shoot bullets? :v:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

It's called "Hyperbole". When a country detonates an extremely substandard nuclear munition, someone might (for comedic effect) imply a slapdash nature to their program, in order to suggest that they are not technically capable of actually use their substandard weapon effectively. For more information on hyperbole, and similar rhetorical devices, search wikipedia for "Humor".

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Al-Saqr posted:

Crowds chant what they want to chant. Doesn't mean that turkey is banning all parties, establishing a personality cult, opening concentration camps and invading every country around it.

I can't tell if you're joking or not, seeing as Erdogan has said he wants to ban the HDP, has built up a massive cult of personality around himself, is just straight killing people instead of imprisoning them, and has sent troops into both Syria and Iraq recently.

I mean, all of those things don't provide the full context, but I can only assume that you meant it as a joke because you can kind-of sort-of say that Turkey has actually been doing all that.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

False Flag Rape posted:

saying "allah ackbar" is akin to saying "heil hitler" now.

if you don't believe me go on a bus or a crowd and shout it loudly

It all depends on how you say it.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Oh, sweet, seven new choppers for Assad to drop barrel bombs from.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Hmm, yeah I guess deliberate, moderate progress by assisting Western-friendly groups that are native to the area is a worse idea than just bombing the gently caress out of everyone who disagrees with the genocidal, hated minority leader. You've solved the Syria problem Cippalippus, feel free to swing over to Sweden and pick up your Nobel Prize whenever you like.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Can someone do a wrap-up of the Kurdish Political situation right now? I feel like I've seen quite a few different elements (Protests, Barzani asked to step-down, purges of leadership) but I'm not quite grasping how they all fit together.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

ISIS using bulldozers armored with three layers (concrete, sand, more concrete) that make them nearly invulnerable to everything the Pesh can throw at it

Even if it's armored to hell and back, it's still a slow bulldozer, right? (Even slower than normal, I'd think.) Just dig a hole where it's headed, put an IED in it, and blast it to hell and back when it rolls over it. Sure, you'll lose your position when it busts through the wall, but they'll lose their killdozer when the surprise you placed in the floor goes off. :getin:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

kustomkarkommando posted:

Kurdish politics wrap-up

Thank you for this! While it's nice to feel a little more informed about the situation, it's a little disheartening to hear about the political squabbles between what many of us see as one of the most sane quasi-governments in the middle east. Oh well, at least they (probably) aren't gassing their own people!

(Reading this thread has severely impacted my standards for what I consider a "good leader" :negative:)

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

fade5 posted:

Unless the YPG can make a safe, useable airstrip (a tall order), heavy supplies may have to come through Iraqi Kurdistan/KRG, which is its own clusterfuck right now.

Hell, if we're supporting them, go full-bore. Airdrop in some marines with some loving shovels and get that poo poo done. :getin:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Jordan hates everyone.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Anosmoman posted:

How would sharing intel about the rebels in Ukraine, a large part of which are Russian troops, make sense to Russia?

Because Cippalippus is the living embodiment of RT, and therefore wholeheartedly supports the idea that there are no russian trrops in Ukraine, just citizen militias and civilian 'advisors'. :v:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

MothraAttack posted:

quote:

They were originally giving between 200 and 400 coordinates a night. Now the figure sometimes reaches 800.

I like to imagine Putin just gave Assad a GPS map with a targeting reticule and a big red button, and he just scrolls over Syrian cities gleefully mashing it as fast as he can.

If nothing else, Russia is saving him a fortune on barrels! :unsmigghh:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

So what I'm gathering is that if you're a young-to-middle-aged man in Syria, your options are:
A) Flee and die in a boat
B) Stay and get executed (by either ISIS or Assad)
C) Fight and get murdered
D) Join the Kurds (And probably get bombed by Russia.)

Christ. :negative:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

So is that "1/4 their population is now Syrian refugees" counting or not counting Palestinian refugees? Because holy poo poo, if over half of the people living in your country are not actually members of your country, that's kind of turbo-hosed up.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Cippalippus posted:

driven by anger about the fact that he's always wrong about pretty much anything.

:ironicat:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

-Troika- posted:

That guy who surrendered was lucky that he didn't have one of the rigs they use in Israel that has a remote detonator :gonk:

You can bet ISIS won't be making that mistake again. :smith:

That's not to say you can blame the guy, it's great that someone managed to get away from that poo poo, it just kind of sucks that now they'll almost certainly take steps to insure that doesn't happen again.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

ArchangeI posted:

You can just waltz in and clean up that place in a couple of weeks! They'll welcome you as liberators!

If anything, Russia will probably "liberate" hundreds of thousands of afghani skeletons from all that confining flesh. :unsmigghh:

Thankfully for the Taliban, approximately 99% of targets will be civilian. Thankfully for Putin, RT will publish article after article claiming them to be ISIS.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Atrocious Joe posted:

While they did best align then, both Syria and Libya were trying to at least appeal to the West for about a decade each before the Arab Spring occurred.

9/11 was in 2001. The Arab Spring started around 2010. So, uh, I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Just to play devil's advocate here, is it possible that an engine problem caused the plane to lose altitude, and when extremists noticed the low-flying plane they just took a shot at it?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Erdogan will bomb a few kurds, shoot a few civilians, arrest a few journalists, and call for new elections a couple months down the road. Repeat ad nauseam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

They're just all translated, aren't they?

• Locked thread