Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

fap fap SPLOOGE posted:

It's just one of those jeeps with a recoilless gun on it. All the same I like how they've got panties over the gun barrel, for luck I presume.

Even on a low-pressure weapon like an SPG-9 (assuming that's what it is), having some sand in your gun barrel is A-Very-Bad-Thing. It can lead to catastrophic damage of the weapon or it's operators. hence, the ersatz muzzle cover made with underwear. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Charliegrs posted:

Something I was curious about today: Raqqa still has internet access right? I remember seeing that undercover video of ISIS controlled Raqqa and it showed people visiting internet cafes and talking to relatives abroad. I'm guessing before the civil war Raqqa probably got its internet through one of Syrias state run ISPs. If that is the case, are they still running the internet connections to Raqqa? And why would they do that if an enemy force was running the area?

Leaving open communications so they can be monitored/used by spies?

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

GyverMac posted:

Has there been any reactions from Russia regarding those executions? Or is it just being kept secret?

Russia: "These soldiers were on vacation. End of story. BTW your 2 month travel visa expired yesterday, so you're being deported."

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

It's not PKK positions which Turkey is attacking, its Kurdish positions.

A fine, yet extremely impactful, distinction.

Why does Turkey hate Kurds and the mideast's next best chance at establishing an Israel-like nation state?

The Turks don't want to become the new Palestinians.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Why the gently caress would Syria be buying MiG-31s? :what:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Glad my mother got to go there while the going was good, just before all the Arab spring stuff breaking out :stare:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Jagchosis posted:

So in Libya on Friday a man who was believed to be the leader of the largest refugee smuggling operation in Libya was assassinated along with 8 of his body guards. This coincided with Italy's announcement of "tactical operations" in response to the Mediterranean refugee crisis and now some members of the Tripoli government are stating that they believe that Italian special forces killed him, though imo it's probably more likely that a rival criminal group killed him.

Well knowing the Italians they quite possibly subcontracted the job out to the rival criminal gang.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

I didn't even go there, and I dropped out of uni, couldn't get into my course. (edit = Into as in enjoy it, rather than join it)

Stop hiding your bachelor certificate which proves you studied basket weaving!!!
:bahgawd:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Cocoa Ninja posted:

It looks like Russia also has a tradition of "take-your-kid-to-work" day.

Not as much as Belarus! :belarus:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I'm surprised they didn't get a decent laptop, a copy of DCS: MiG-21 and turn that sucker into a piloted cruise missile.

Also, why the hell would you be using an improv MLRS like that when you have BM-21 and TOS-1M?

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Domattee posted:

The joke is that Russia is also running out of bombs.

World Peace at last.

Considering that the Russians are dropping dumb FABs and not PGMs, haha no.

GAKIDS CURE ISIS?

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Syria: A fractal pattern of shittiness.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

IIRC the thread has discussed that "Curse the Jews" was some pre-downfall of the government slogan that they needed to have to get around censorship laws.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

sparatuvs posted:

same with the death to america on their flag?

v:v:v I was more inviting previous posters to post again on it.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Perhaps because if they chant the latter, they'll get disappeared by the secret police?

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

FaustianQ posted:

Do not engage MIGF.

So you're saying I should put him in a Ghetto?

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

To not take organizations at their word when they proclaim "death to the jews" and/or "death to america" is to think with a pre-9/11 mindset.

Oh ya, does this include LF? dti dta

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

ToxicAcne posted:

What's Avshalom's gimmick?

quote:

My breasts.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

The loving tank attack around 9:20 is some poo poo.

It's like something taken from Arma3 or Battlefield 4 :stare:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Objurium posted:

That being said, it looks like daesh trained these clowns how to fight on a loving empty ARMA3 server or something.

I remember having this exact same thought when Libya was kicking off and I was watching videos from it. poo poo looked like it was from one of my Arma 2 sessions.

I wonder though if it's just simply how modern militia combat looks like, real or virtual. A bunch of random dudes with little training, a vague idea of what they should do and wildly misapplying it.

And I guess these guys feel like there is no "game over" screen either

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Doctor Malaver posted:

Which one is Abu Hajar? The gunner, the cameraman or the complainer?

The one with an MG3

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Back Hack posted:

Probably not since the T-90 isn't nearly as complex or strong as the Russian love to hype; it isn't hard to gleam how the tank is put together and what it's capable of doing seeing as it's a modernization of a pre-existing tank chassis, a modernization mind you that is actually just a copy of the T-80UD, a tank we've already acquired.

No, it's a continuation of the T-72BU. While it might have technologies taken from the T-80UD, the main brains behind that machine is in Kharkov, Ukraine.

As to westerners wsnting to have a look, it's unlikely to have any new information in it. The NERA plates and other defenses would be of types already known.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I think it is more likely that whoever Daesh had in Falluja was just simply really poo poo, even compared to the ISF, not that the ISF have suddenly become competent.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I was writing in reply to this where fade5 compares ISF and the US Army.

fade5 posted:

Apparently they now control 70% of
Fallujah.

Well that's certainly a revelation I wouldn't have called a year ago: the Iraqi Army is better at fighting Fallujah than the US Army was. Apparently you can make the Iraqi Army competent after all!:v:

So a comment about USAF air strikes is a null point.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Showtime posted:

I don't think he's serious, but I won't miss my chance to post this:

Whoever made this picture missed the chance for the girl to have the YPJ flag on her :smith:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

gently caress, that takes me back :allears:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

El Disco posted:

I'll bite, who in this thread is producing a war crime? I really doubt a goon here is violating the Hague convention or some poo poo.

It's a joke :ssh:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

It's kind of nice to at least see that it isn't just the Anglosphere sending itself to hell. :unsmith:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Well we can't accuse him of just being a troll as he clearly believes this stuff.

Which makes it worthwhile to read his posts. You don't have to agree with him but is useful to know what one part of the other side is thinking. His narrative about how Russia will play extra dimensional chess and then be in a position of strength vs the USA is instructive as to how the Russian patriot sees themselves in the world. Like, it's not going to happen ever for simple economic reasons but hey, they want to be able to go "No, gently caress you!" to uncle Sam and will want to take actions towards this goal.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

It loving sucks, but at least the people of Manbij are free of ISIS. Also what was the Kurds supposed to have done in the mean time? Attack is the best form of defense as this war has been showing.

Though I do wonder who these guys Turkey are backing are. It'll be some seriously :smith: poo poo if all those women burning thier buqas get a new issue of them from the new guys.

Also, I wonder if that people's council they set up would be able to keep going.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I'm curious, what sort of political leverage does Turkey even have over the United States? Do X or else...? It's not like they'd actually be able to successfully realign with Putin.

Geopolitics. The Dardanelles, and Turkey is a big Airbase for the USAF into the Middle East.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

professor_curly posted:

Why do we care about this? What is the Black Sea Fleet going to do, precisely, that we are so worried about?

Hedging bets. Just because Russia is in the shitter now, doesn't mean it will be twenty years from now.

And as to what it would do, loving with Oil tankers going through the suez canal would be a big deal in WW3.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

Turkey explains itself. Note how this graphic only talks about ISIS and "terrorists", without mentioned Kurds or Kurdish groups.

https://twitter.com/TRDiplomacy/status/768446631779926017

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/768466007904120832

Reason #1 is disgusting. So where were you years ago when ISIS first showed up, hey Turkey? :jerkbag:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

tsa posted:

Ya ww3 is really going to hinge on oil tankers in the suez fuckin' :lol:

This guy knows what's up.

This is about so much more than silly bases, it's not the 20th century anymore dude. It's about keeping turkey closer to the west than the east, it's about refugees and it's a bit of:

Why can't it be all three mixed together? There is no reason to think that it's just one big particular reason instead of a composite of many concerns/interests.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I'm going to guess that they're going to use M60's for much the same reason that the Soviets used T-55/62 in Afghanistan.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

computer parts posted:

Oh look, literally the exact rhetoric people put on the Chinese.

They're not wrong there either??

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I remember reading some CnC fanfic that applied such an idea. The future is now, and disquieting. Looking at some of these videos they're not even 100m above thier tagets, yet the drone is completely unnoticed.

I have a vague feeling that a new part of drill will soon be "look up drat you!" for recruits.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Fragrag posted:

When you run out of a BMP completely exposed to gunfire and pretty precise mortar fire with no cover, I think you're going to eat dirt immediately, that is if you don't get shot or run over by your own BMP.

You misunderstand, nothing to do with posture, but when they are looking for threats. Until now you could just look around horizontally at stufff on the ground. Anything that was in the air would either be real obvious or too high to do anything about as a grunt anyway so why bother. But now there is a samm, quiet threat that you can see... if you bother to look up.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Middle East Thread: Gary Johnson gallery tour cancelled

no, wait

Middle East Thread: I don't know art, but I know who I hate

Middle East Thread: When I hear the word 'culture' I reach for my Glock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Nenonen posted:

I was referring to the video's audio track, someone sounds really excited about Allah something America something Israel something something

The Houthis are basically LF in real life. All posts end with dta dti.

• Locked thread