Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Finlander
Feb 21, 2011
poo poo, I can't even keep track of what he's going on about.
Americans and italians? Holding a rifle to be brave? Men being mice while drunked[sic] and drugged? Your children will die!?
Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011
He's telling the people to go to the streets...
While there's mercenaries all over the place with orders to kill everyone on said streets.
!?!?!?

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011
He said something about becoming a laughing stock by a crazy person. Who might that be?

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011
I'm noticing long pauses where he's fiddling around with something, and a second voice.
I'm guessing he's prerecorded the speech, and is using it as a cheat sheet, or something.
Whatever it is that he's doing, it's just poor form.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

Jamsque posted:

You're over-hearing the translator's feed, which is a few seconds ahead of the broadcast so he can translate at the same time CQ is speaking.

Right, thanks.
Those pauses still remain, though. That, when coupled with the general incoherency of the speech, is still very bad form.

This guy is not very good at giving speeches.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011
Was that a horse, just now?

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011
Some of these """pro-Gaddafi"""-protesters seem really uninterested. Even the ones that are smiling look like they would rather be doing something else.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

Maels posted:

The best part is his "drugged up youth" comments. More literally, he believes there are those that give young people pills and they get all hosed up and protest-y.
:siren:This is what Gaddafi actually believes.:siren:

Speaking of the "drugged up youth", who is he blaming for the drugging, exactly? I couldn't make heads or tails of the speech, so I'm kinda lost, there.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

DarkCrawler posted:

Has to be a typo, that would be insane.

Well, by now, it's already been established that things over there are insane. And since there's been so many reports of there being hundreds upon hundreds of dead people found, 10 000 dead doesn't seem too far-fetched. Hopefully not, though, especially since Libya's not really a huge country, meaning that 10 000 dead is pretty much genocide.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

Al Jazeera Blog posted:

2:17am: Abdul Rahman Shalgum, head of the Libyan mission to the UN, has said the situation in his country is very dangerous. Addressing Libyan leader as brother, he said Libya is bigger than all of us.

The Libyan diplomat said:

"The nation is bigger, stronger and greater than us all. Our nation is in danger. The brother leader [Gaddafi] can take a decision that saves and salvages the country and stops the bloodshed. Libya now has entered a very dangerous tunnel."
Bigger, stronger and greater than us all? Brother leader? Taking a decision that saves lives and salvages the country?

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

Danyull posted:

Sorry if this has been brought up already, but an Egyptian father named his daughter Facebook to honor the Egyptian Uprising.

That's not a very good idea. That little lady is going to get bullied to no end. Oh, well, that's just too bad, I suppose.

Speaking of the egyptian uprising, where in the world did Mubarak scuttle off to, in the end? Is he still at that beach resort or whatever, in a coma?

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

Gaddafi's crazy son has got Tripoli cleaned up, and now he wants to show journalists that everything is normal:

I'm not sure what he means to accomplish by this. Everyone already knows the brutality that's been going on, and trying to hide it now is just an act of extreme desperation.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

Updated map of Gaddifi's failings as a leader:

Just a quick question, here:
When it says "liberated", what does that mean, in practice?

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

Great White Hope posted:

I think it means under control of protesters.

So, like, all the Gaddafi-backed forces have been run out of town, and the protesters are running things?
Gotcha.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011
Hold on just a second there.
He's been screaming about islamists causing trouble... And now he's saying that the muslim brotherhoods are not to blame.
!?!?!?!?!?

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011
Bin Laden wants to kill your kids to get control.
But since the kids are supposed to already be under his control, why kill them? Seems like a pretty terrible strategy.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011
And that was that. Pretty short.

Queen Gaddafi II posted:

Crazy poo poo

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011
I wonder why he keeps telling mothers to get their children off the streets when his troops are pretty much killing everyone and everything. It's like he wants his supporters to die, as well.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011
I wonder how that liberation of Tripoli will go. Since the rebels are on the attacking side, this time, they've got less defensive options than Gaddafi's croneys, who can easily use guerrila tactics and the like. That, along with the fact that Tripoli seems to have the most and the best trainer pro-Gaddafi troops, could make things pretty messy.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

Spiky Ooze posted:

Man. I hope they're at least using self-defense against the mercenaries, preferably with bullets.

They're unarmed.
That's a bit of a problem.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

quote:

BREAKING: Reports of a split between members of the Khamis brigade, when confirmed this should signal the end of the tyrant #Libya #Feb17

What's the Khamis brigade?

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011
Ah what the-
I missed his appearence. gently caress. What did he say?

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

Mr Plow posted:

"I am one of you! Dance and sing, dance and sing!" *pumps fists in the air rhythmically as if dancing*

And no, I'm not kidding.

Right, then. Sounds about right.

Anyways, speaking of those disappearing planes, what might be happening to them? I'm guessing Gaddafi doesn't have enough resources to shoot them down, but planes don't just will themselves out of existence.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

Jut posted:

They won't act because it's not in the Security councils mandate to act unless a genocide is going on.

And, due to a certain Soviet Russian crazy guy, absolute annihilation of political groups isn't considered genocide.

Why don't they change that, though? It's not like they have any reason not to.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

I would support the UN changing its mandate to include being able to act against the wholesale murder of a group of people identified as a political organization rather than an ethnic group.

However, that is not "genocide". It's something else (and something that is also horrible) but the word genocide does have an actual meaning. It refers to the attempt to eradicate a People, defined by an ethnicity or nationality.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. A new word is required. No reason not to do that, either.
Since the word "genocide" comes from genes, ergo, ethnicity, nationality etc., eradication of political organizations, or parties, would be, umm... Partycide? No, that's dumb.

Anyways, the UN guy spoke. Nothing really new, I think.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

Wikileaks posted:

Qadhafi stated that the \
Swiss banking system was used to fund terrorists, and proposed \
that Switzerland be split among its neighboring countries, \
according to language. \

wh-
Hold on, let me reread that.
what

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011
The UN man is talking again.
Does he have anything of value to say?
We shall see.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011
Nope, nothing new from the guy. Just the usual CONSIDERATIONS CONSIDERATIONS CONSIDERATIONS GADDAFI'S AN rear end in a top hat.

I am disliking this person more and more each time he opens his mouth.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

The Brown Menace posted:

Apparently things are getting rowdy again in Tahrir Square.

How rowdy are we talking about, here?

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

The Brown Menace posted:

AymanM Ayman Mohyeldin
eyewitnesses telling me that #egyptian army trying to break up peaceful protests in #tahrir, crowds pushed back by "special riot units"

That's... That's not good.
What does this mean, in practice? If this is true, all the respect for the army the public may have had is completely abolished. There'll probably be more protests, and that might not end well, since they're already dispersing them. Who knows what they might do.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

The Brown Menace posted:

"Special riot units" once again sounds like "not rank and file conscripts" so I'm guessing we'll see Egyptian revolution 2.0 soon enough.

Hmm, maybe. But, again, that could go badly, maybe even worse than revolution 1.0. I just have a really bad feeling about this.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011
Gaddafi's son is on TV.
He's acting like facts are on his side.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011
So, how much does the military police differ from the regular military? That is to say, is the military police made of regular joes, like the military, or are they some sort of elite fighting force, or something?

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

Russell William Thorpe posted:

Quote of the year, from Saadi Gaddafi, on his next course of action:
"I've got to safari, I have got to hire a lawyer"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/27/gaddafi-family-lashes-out_n_828892.html

I think you're forgetting about the most dangerous game.

Either he seriously doesn't realize that what he and his family is doing is wrong, or he doesn't realize that everyone else already knows what the Gaddafi family has caused.
Either way, christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

lil sartre posted:

One Turkish construction worker told the BBC: "We had 70-80 people from Chad working for our company. They were cut dead with pruning shears and axes, attackers saying: 'You are providing troops for Gaddafi.' The Sudanese were also massacred. We saw it for ourselves."

That could seriously cause some problems with the legitimacy of the revolutionaries. I mean, if they're a bunch of murderous assholes, they're not any better than Gaddafi, right?
Although, there is the chance that it's a false-flag operation on Gaddafi's part. That could be likely, since the actual mercenaries have apparently been in comparatively good hands. I really don't know.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

ALJ posted:

Robert Gates, US defence secretary, says 400 Marines are aboard the amphibious USS Kearsarge - currently headed toward Libya. But he also said the UN SC resolution passed on Saturday did not authorise the use of force - and that NATO members are spilt on whether to take military action.
Uh oh. That doesn't sound good.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

TangerineDream posted:

I wonder what it'll take to get Ghadaffi to use his mustard gas

IIRC, they don't have the means to actually use the gas.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

Xandu posted:

Photo of the plane shot down.

What kind of plane is that? It's Gaddafi's, right?

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011
So, if Gaddafi is, in fact, using civilian corpses to make it seem like they died in the air strikes, how will the allied forces react? Will they just keep on doing their own thing, or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

Hmm. I wonder why. I also wonder why "damaged" was in quotes, when "civilian house" would've been a bit more accurate. Or, hell, why not say ""damaged" "civilian" "house""? It's probably not all that damaged, not a civilian building, and probably not even a house.

• Locked thread