Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

My biggest concern with areas like Syria is that the outside world won't do enough to stop Assad, and the people will be repessed even more. I know we can't just throw up a no-fly zone or justify it for that matter at a moments notice, especially with Syria's ties to Iran, but everybody knows sanctions against officals aren't going to stop a tyrannical dictator from murdering his own people. It seems more and more likely that violence is the only answer, which is just depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

AllanGordon posted:

How can anyone believe the claims of reform from someone who ordered his soldiers to fire on peaceful protestors.

I mean maybe he's just being realistic in what can be achieved, but man that seems hollow.

He's an idiot, as are all people who support dictators. Simple as that.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Just found this on Al Jazeera:

quote:

"One member of Syria’s secret police - referred to locally as mukhabarat - told HRW he was deployed in Homs, Syria’s third largest city, on April 19, to help security forces violently disperse tens of thousands of protesters staging a sit-in in the central Clock Tower Square.

"The protesters had sat down in the square. We were told to disperse them with violence if needed. We were there with air force security, army, and shabbiha (armed supporters of the government who do not belong to security forces). At around 3:30am, we got an order... to shoot at the protesters. We were shooting for more than half an hour."

"There were dozens and dozens of people killed and wounded. Thirty minutes later, earth diggers and fire trucks arrived. The diggers lifted the bodies and put them in a truck. I don’t know where they took them. The wounded ended up at the military hospital in Homs. And then the fire trucks started cleaning the square."

From here: http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/07/201179132942963909.html

God I hope Assad fucks off.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Here's hoping the Rebels have managed to take Brega. It'll do absolute wonders for morale, and will probably cause Gaddafi troops to lose even more hope.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

pylb posted:

Here's a pro-Gaddafi video about Brega still being under his control, though I couldn't understand anything said. It is supposed to be from yesterday, though I don't know if there's any way to verify that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzWdwgGrjmo

I really have to wonder if those commenters are one or two people with accounts or if they're legitimately brainwashed by Gadaffi.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Has anybody heard anything about the lesser reported areas, such as Morocco, Algeria, Bahrain, and so on? Last I heard the whole Middle Eastern movement failed to kick off in Algeria, Morocco has daily protests and Bahrain, I really have no idea since the crackdown began.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

suboptimal posted:

Algeria: Never really got off the ground after some fairly large demonstrations after Ben Ali and Mubarak fell. Now, anytime anyone goes out to protest, security forces usually beat/arrest the lot of them. Anti-government sentiment seems to be at a low boil, but not really in danger of flaring up.

Bahrain: GCC and Bahraini forces pushed most of the demonstrators into Shia' villages on the outskirts of Manama. Protests have continued in those areas, especially in Sitrah and Karzakan, but the cops have used pretty brutal means to keep them there and outside of the capital. The Khalifa regime has also held this weird "national dialogue" event, which has seemingly been a lot of gloating by the government and freaked out Sunnis about how they disrupted an Iranian/American plot (yeah, seriously) to destabilize their country. Absolutely none of the grievances that started the unrest have been resolved, and I believe that when the protesters regroup (probably within a few years), any demonstrations are going to be much more forceful than they were before.

Morocco: Morocco has been a weird case. The protest movement there has been mostly about reform rather than revolution, and protests have occurred on pretty much every Sunday since February. The king has tried to paint himself as a reformer by introducing a number of measures in a referendum that appeared to limit his powers, but really didn't do much. The government had this big "everyone vote yes and show your support for these unprecedented reforms!" campaign that meant to play up patriotism, but the opposition had been telling people to vote no due to the superficiality of the referendum. When the vote actually took place last month, the government claimed something like a 75% turnout with 98% voting yes. Unsurprisingly, the opposition has challenged these figures, and protests have continued.

Ah, thanks for the fast response! Shame about Algeria and Bahrain, really. I'm hoping when Gaddafi is arrested, Egypt/Tunisia manages to elect a president and whether Assad and/or Saleh get out and so on it'll kick up some dust around the Middle East again extending the protests.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

To me it seems like Gadaffi supporters shot him the same way they shot up the Al Jazeera reporter while he was on the way to the trial. This poo poo isn't good, but I'm hoping that the rebels can pull through and that there's enough commanders to replace Younis and continue the push.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Jut posted:

But where is the body?!? Something smells fishy here.

I'm just desperately hoping whatever is up doesn't ruin the entire rebellion and let Gaddafi take back ground. Last thing I want to be reading in 10 years is alternate senarios if General Younis wasn't killed and the Rebels didn't lose.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Concerned Citizen posted:

Seems pretty obvious to me it was an internal power struggle. You don't just arrest and execute someone that high up on suspicion of betrayal. And then they flat out lied about what happened.

And frankly, the idea that Younis defected to the rebels (probably the highest level defection to the rebels), fought numerous battles with the force he brought over, would subsequently betray everyone is just beyond belief.

Regardless, this whole situation seems suspicious as gently caress

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Away from Libya, apparently Islamists took over the Tahrir protests and the Liberal parties have pulled out from it. Not looking good, it seems.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

I'm beginning to worry about how long the Arab Spring will last for. I'm really hoping some major poo poo happens soon to boost spirits around the Arab world, because the last thing I want to see is the Arab Spring slowly whimper away. I don't think it will though, not with all the dead martyrs and all the progress that's been made across the Middle East

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

According to Al Jazeera, Khamis Gaddafi has been killed by NATO

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2011/08/20118575531382740.html

Great news if it's true, considering he leads and commands one of the most feared brigades in Libya

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Aug 5, 2011

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Anybody with an hour to spare should watch this.

http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes/2011/08/201184144547798162.html

With every inch of my body I hope protests can start again, and I hope that they can succeed. Does anybody know what's happening in Bahrain? I'm genuinely worried about the quiet.

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 6, 2011

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

What's the status of the Arab Spring as a whole? I'm hearing more and more news from Libya and Syria, but not really anywhere else. If these governments fall, will protests explode up again like after Egypt? I'm also hoping the Israeli protests begins to ask for Palestinian independance, or some other form of Israeli-Palestinian independance. I don't know if that would improve the opinion of Israel for Arabs, but at least Palestine would finally have their freedom.

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 8, 2011

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Botany As Optimism posted:

http://mod.gov.sy/

Syrian Ministry of Defence hacked.

Here's hoping they hit more Syrian sites.

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 8, 2011

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Seems like the site is down for me. Great while it lasted.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

More from Zeina Khodr of AJE from the western front:

One other thing to remember is if they capture Zawiyah then they'll have access to a port, so they can receive supplies and reinforcements from Benghazi by boat.

Amazing news if Gharyan and Zawiyah are almost in control of the Rebels. It shows you how much the Gadaffi military has fallen apart, and how little time Gadaffi has left. Do you think when Gadaffi is eventually captured/killed, it will spur up new revolts around the Middle East?

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

DropsySufferer posted:

Finally, this is getting close, it's been a deadlock for months. Absolutely fantastic job on this thread, Brown Moses.

What I'm wondering is what happens after the rebels (hopefully) take Zawiyah. It puts them within only 30 miles from Tripoli.

What happens when the rebels finally get to Tripoli? Will there be massive resistance from Gaddafi loyalists? Is there is going to be a mass rebellion as the locals promised? A mass rebellion from the general population would let the rebels take the city quickly. I'm hoping it goes that way.

Let's hope this ends soon.

I can't see the rebels taking Tripoli, unless they have some serious heavy NATO support in the attack. Even then, I can't see a full scale rebel attack on a heavily guarded city having success unless the population inside Tripoli revolts or the Gadaffi army surrenders. They'll probably go around Tripoli and secure the rest of Libya, then surround Tripoli after the fronts are all connected up and then I have no idea what will happen.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

And away from Libya, Mubarak trial moved to next month, and live TV coverage is ending according to Al Jazeera

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/08/201181513582176372.html

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

DonBalle posted:

.. and we have Brown Moses especially to thank for that, somebody really should buy that man a beer.

A case of beer, more like it.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Sivias posted:

Associated Press reporting that Israel is appologizing for the incident and launching a joint investigation with Egypt.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/ML_ISRAEL_EGYPT?SITE=ININS&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

I'm sure there were some officials talking with Israel to push for resolution to the issue. No one wants to have to deal with something like that right now.

Deeply regretting Egyptians deaths while bombing the gently caress out of Gaza. Stay classy Israel.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Holy poo poo it's happening, I wonder if the Rebels will charge into Tripoli now.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

http://www.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/g...DAwLmpwZw%3d%3d

Describes the "Everything is under control" propaganda pretty well.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

If Gadaffi has fled, shows you his true colours. Can't even live up to his own bullshit about fighting to the last man. Soon as Tripoli comes under revolt, Gadaffi's the first one out.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

So this is what it's come down to. Gaddafi rambling about roads.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

I cannot loving wait for "REBELS LIBERATE TRIPOLI" coming up on the news. I think I'll start cheering and celebrating myself.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Anybody have a map that's up to date, or would the Wikipedia map suffice?

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

I'm going to wear my :f5: key out because of this thread.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

:hf: buddy me too.
But its for a good thing right? :unsmith:

drat you Brown Moses and your CIA information!

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

What do you think the Rebels will rename Green Square and most of Libya now? I'm sure they're keen to get rid of everything that shows signs of Gaddafi rule.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Darth Brooks posted:

Isn't there an add on for Firefox that will update threads as they are being posted in?

I had a look on Greasemonkey, didn't find anything, but it doesn't matter. What does matter is Tripoli is rapidly falling, Gaddafi is going to be captured if not killed, and Libya is entering a new era of freedom.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

Imagine World War 2 covered by a modern news network. "German forces still in a stalemate in Poland after two weeks of fighting".

You think modern news would actually report on WW2 over celebrities and "local" news?

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Goodbye Libya, Hello Syria

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

A unnamed civillian from Tripoli just went on the AJE live stream and said "You can name me, I'm not afraid anymore." He then spelled out his name.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

boner meter posted:

That guy desperately and proudly trying to get his name out on AJ English was quite funny/heartening.

e: heh, "Distributing sweets and dancing"

I'm surprised how much that affected me. I hope that guy survives, what a great dude.

Oh man I can't stop smiling at the crowd going nuts over the fireworks. This is such a great day for Libya.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Would be funny if Rebels entered the room Moussa is in while he's saying Gaddafi is victorious.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

He's just pussy footing around because he knows he's utterly hosed.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

You know he's hosed when he's begging for help and saying Tripoli is being destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

He says he's ready for talks only when his end is imminent in the next day.

• Locked thread