Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
Kofi Annan is resigning as of 8/31. http://www.un.org/sg/statements/index.asp?nid=6223

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

This will probably make zero difference to the situation in Syria.

It will because Annan represented the only possibility of advancing international concensus towards Syria.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
On the topic of dictators and revolutions, this article explores the case of Iran and how the Shah has been rehabilitated to a certain degree.

quote:

"Respect" and "respectability" are words one hears often when talking to young Iranians. Thirty-seven-year-old Golam Hossein, a devout Muslim and a native of Isfahan, a city with a strong revolutionary tradition that suffered massive casualties in the war with Iraq, speaks the same way. "People respected the principles more in those days," he declares. He got married when he was 23; his wife, Fatemeh, wears a chador. "Some people look at us differently," he says, "it is like we should not enjoy a good life. My friends often think I am restraining my wife, while it is her choice to wear a chador." Fatemeh explains, "All of the women in my family wear chadors, even during the Shah. They tell me that they were shown more respect in those days. Today, even my chador does not stop men from harassing me."

Golam Hossein sums it up. "Under the Shah, if you wanted to drink or to go to a place to dance you would have done so, and if you wanted to go to a mosque and to pray you would have done so without anyone judging you. Today, everything is out of its place."

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

i poo poo trains posted:

That's not reasonable doubt, that's just being uncritical because you find the likely answer is too unpalatable.

https://www.facebook.com/lewaa.albraa
https://www.facebook.com/albaraaibnmalek

They're different.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

i poo poo trains posted:

Using the same methodology I have also discovered via Facebook that there are multiple similar but different Canadian pop singers, one named Justin Bieber, another named Jutsin Bieber and a last one named Justin Beiber.

I'll avoid being a pompous grandstanding rear end in a top hat like As'ad AbuKhalil and just say simply that linguistic and cultural competence are important and you made errors in several places, first being that you relied on an English translation of "Baraa Brigade" and tried to wrongly generalize from there. There are multiple words in Arabic that are translated into English as "brigade"; two of them being liwaa' and kateeba. The one you believe you are thinking of is kateebat al-Baraa' bin Malik, the group that took the Iranians is lawaa' al-Baraa'.

Secondly, Arabic is an extremely well-preserved language. As a result, many names that were (and are) in usage in Arabic are commonly used as nouns and adjectives. For example, the Prophet's wife, Aa'isha, is the feminine active participle for the verb "to live". So a woman can still today say anna Aa'isha fi Dimashq and mean "I am living in Damascus", with it making perfect sociolinguistic sense.

Similarly, a major armed grouping in Aleppo right now is called liwwa' at-tawheed, Now, at-tawheed is an Islamic concept that pertains to the indivisibility of Allah; but according to them, it refers to the indivisibility of Aleppo, under its secular meaning.

The word Baraa' البراء is the first name of one of the Sahaba. But more importantly it relates to the Islamic term of disassociation from the ways of the unbelievers.

quote:

60:4

قد كانت لكم أسوة حسنة في إبراهيم والذين معه إذ قالوا لقومهم إنا برآء منكم ومما تعبدون من دون الله كفرنا بكم وبدا بيننا وبينكم العداوة والبغضاء أبدا حتى تؤمنوا بالله وحده إلا قول إبراهيم لأبيه لأستغفرن لك وما أملك لك من الله من شيء ربنا عليك توكلنا وإليك أنبنا وإليك المصير

There has already been for you an excellent pattern in Abraham and those with him, when they said to their people, “Indeed, we are disassociated from you and from whatever you worship other than Allah . We have denied you, and there has appeared between us and you animosity and hatred forever until you believe in Allah alone” except for the saying of Abraham to his father, “I will surely ask forgiveness for you, but I have not [power to do] for you anything against Allah . Our Lord, upon You we have relied, and to You we have returned, and to You is the destination.

Listen to the video, at 0:05., where he says "liwaa' al-baraa". At no point does it say "bin Malik." Now listen here to the al-Baraa bin Malik Brigade, announcing their name. The liwaa' al-Baraa' logo doesn't mention bin Malik, their Facebook page doesn't mention the name, and none of their videos mention his name.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 7, 2012

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
I have family friends who planned on spending a few months in Iran. They left immediately after seeing people being thrown in vans in broad daylight all across Tehran. I was told it's never been so bad in Iran, even during the revolution.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
This is pretty funny; the Assadis are so needy for positive propaganda that they are taking sympathetic pictures of FSA commanders and reposting them as their own (the left is a pro-Assad page)

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 14, 2012

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
The UN Commission of Inquiry on Syria has just been released: http://un-report.blogspot.com/2012/08/report-of-independent-international.html?spref=tw

quote:

Summary

The situation of human rights in the Syrian Arab Republic has deteriorated significantly since 15 February 2012. Armed violence increased in intensity and spread to new areas. Active hostilities raged between Government forces (and the Shabbiha) and anti-Government armed groups. Sporadic clashes between the armed actors evolved into continuous combat, involving more brutal tactics and new military capabilities on both sides. The level of armed violence varied throughout the country.

During the reporting period, the commission of inquiry determined that the intensity and duration of the conflict, combined with the increased organizational capabilities of anti-Government armed groups, had met the legal threshold for a non-international armed conflict. The commission therefore applied both international humanitarian law and international human rights law in its assessment of the actions of the parties to the hostilities.

The commission found reasonable grounds to believe that Government forces and the Shabbiha had committed the crimes against humanity of murder and of torture, war crimes and gross violations of international human rights law and international humanitarian law, including unlawful killing, torture, arbitrary arrest and detention, sexual violence, indiscriminate attack, pillaging and destruction of property. The commission found that Government forces and Shabbiha members were responsible for the killings in Al-Houla.

The commission confirms its previous finding that violations were committed pursuant to State policy. Large-scale operations conducted in different governorates, their similar modus operandi, their complexity and integrated military-security apparatus indicate the involvement at the highest levels of the armed and security forces and the Government. The Shabbiha were identified as perpetrators of many of the crimes described in the present report. Although the nature, composition and hierarchy of the Shabbiha remains unclear, credible information led to the conclusion that they acted in concert with Government forces.

The commission found reasonable grounds to believe that war crimes, including murder, extrajudicial execution and torture, had been perpetrated by organized anti-Government armed groups. Although not a party to the Geneva Conventions, these groups must abide by the principles of international humanitarian law. The violations and abuses committed by anti-Government armed groups did not reach the gravity, frequency and scale of those committed by Government forces and the Shabbiha.

Both groups violated the rights of children.

The commission is unaware of efforts meeting international standards made by either the Government or anti-Government armed groups to prevent or punish the crimes documented in the present report.

The lack of access significantly hampered the commission’s ability to fulfil its mandate. Its access to Government officials and to members of the armed and security forces was negligible. Importantly, victims and witnesses inside the country could not be interviewed in person.

A confidential list of individuals and units believed to be responsible for crimes against humanity, breaches of international humanitarian law and gross human rights violations will be submitted to the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights at the close of the commission’s current mandate, in September 2012.
The commission reiterates that the best solution is a negotiated settlement involving an inclusive and meaningful dialogue among all parties, leading to a political transition that reflects the legitimate aspirations of all segments of Syrian society, including ethnic and religious minorities.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
Syran rebels in Homs attempting to save a cat injured by shrapnel from an Assadi shell.

quote:

القطة المشلولة وهي تعالج بإحدى المشافي الميدانية .. هي ذاتها التي يعالج بها أبناء هذا الحي الذين يتعرضون للإصابات المختلفة .. برصاص أو قذائف النظام السوري .
وبسبب النقص الحاد للأدوية والأطباء في هذه الأحياء فقد عـولِجتْ بشكل تخديري .. بعد أن فشلت العديد من المحاولات في إخراج شظية الهاون التي أستقرت في ظهرها .
وللعلم : أننا عـالجنا هذه القطة وهي من بين العديد من الحيوانات التي نعالجها في كل يوم .
عـال
جناها من مبدأ إنسانيتنا و أخلاقنا وتعاليم ديننا ... و ليس بسبب قيام العالم وقعوده بشأنها , فالعالم بأكمله لم يعد يعني لنا بشيء .

The paralysed cat being treated in one of the make-shift field hospitals in the city .. This field hospital is in fact where the locals of the neighborhood are treated when injured by regime fire or regime shelling. There is a severe lack of medicines and doctors in this neighborhood, but the cat was treated under anaesthetic as several attempts were made to remove the mortar shell shrapnel from her back without anaesthetic but it was unsuccessful.

It should be noted: We treated this cat, as with several animals daily, on the basis of humanity and caring for life and our surroundings. The cat was treated on the basis we cannot watch any life - animal or human - suffer. We did not treat the cat because of your reactions or the uproar and messages received from animal rights organisations and the international world. Trust, the world and its opinions means nothing to us inside Syria anymore

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 15, 2012

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
edit wrong thread

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 16, 2012

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
Iranian state media is really something; they decided to completely alter and distort Morsi's speech (in which he declared his support for the Syrian people) by translating it to say that he was supporting the Bahraini people and that he was standing against the "conspiracy" against Syria, among other things.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
On the Syrian Revolution page on Facebook there is a posting of the obituary of a Christian woman mourning her as a martyr of the revolution. You would think that would be fairly uncontroversial, but no; there is a completely hysterical debate about how Christians can't be called "martyrs" because they are not Muslim, and how Christians are heretics to God because they believe in the polytheistic trinity and are destined for hell. It was kind of unbelievable to me when I read through it.

https://m.facebook.com/home.php?ref...&__user=2516005

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 1, 2012

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
A Saudi writer claims that Gulf Arab men (especially Saudis) are buying Syrian refugee girls, mostly minors, to be their wives for the price of 500-1000 Riyals (130-250 USD).

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Wait.. why aren't they protesting a dutch embassy then? Or is it like how people smashed up china-town after Pearl harbour, or beat up Hindu's after 9/11 ?

They weren't really thinking it through.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

The X-man cometh posted:

That's true, but I've never seen trafficking of Arabs, only Indians(including Pakistan and Bangladesh), Filipinos and other non-arab Muslims.

Trafficking and exploitation of Iraqi women became common after the civil war broke out. Here's a report on it.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
The Homsi cat that was critically injured by an Assadi shell is now doing well after revolutionaries operated on him.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 12, 2012

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

Everything about this movie is so absurd.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 12, 2012

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 12, 2012

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

I not sure your point. I mean its not like helping the rebels changed the opinion of to many people.

If this is an attempt to cynically contextualize this death as "American had it coming" it isn't going to fly here, in Eastern Libya people are very strongly pro-America.

It's absolutely disgusting and offensive for "enlightened thinkers" to strip agency from fanatics and murderers simply because they are obliquely attached to their pet identity groups. The Salafis don't need your help.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 12, 2012

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

tatankatonk posted:

The protest and vilerat's death should be placed in its proper context

I agree, we should put this death in it's proper context. Following the popularly supported overthrow of a wildly unpopular tyrant, a group of widely-spurned regressive fundamentalists find themselves with weapons against a popularly supported but only-developing national government. In an attempt to assert power in Libya, these fanatics attack and destroy priceless historic and religious sites in an attempt to kickstart a cultural revolution to purge Libya of its rich heritage in favor of a rigid, uncritical, and backwards form of religious orthodoxy, and now are terrorizing women. In this context they overreact completely and absurdly in a typically stupid and conspiratorial manner to a video produced in America, and decide that murdering innocent Americans is a valid and useful response.

The way in which leftists orientalize and not-defend defend these Salafists is kind of unbelievable and hilarious. You don't have to bend backwards to act mealymouthed about religious terrorism and fanaticism simply because your Fox News Dad doesn't like them. I promise that there are a lot of Muslims who don't like them either!

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 12, 2012

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

Mirthless posted:

More that the intention of deliberate hate speech should be examined when somebody is incited to commit a crime because of that hate speech.

It's really great how patronizing Westerners become in situations like these, to treat Muslims like latently murderous idiot children when it comes to depictions of the Prophet, or, even more offensively, like they are bombs waiting to be set off by the right trigger. It's pathetic, bigoted, and shifts blame off of the murderers where it belongs.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 12, 2012

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

rscott posted:

Where are the posts that you're railing against removing agency from the people who committed these crimes?

Describing these murderers as a "bomb", predictably waiting to be set off by some detonation by an "irresponsible Westerner" is a completely self-evident attempt to strip agency from the people who committed the crime.

It's also functionally the same (and ironic, to me) to religious fundamentalists who claim that we shouldn't discount the role of the woman in the tight niqab when dealing out responsibility for street harassment of women.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

Forums Terrorist posted:

If it gets people killed, yeah.

Innocent Muslims are killed by fundamentalists for dancing and singing at parties for behavior offensive to Islam. This isn't a question of provocation; Salafist militias will actively contrive any miniscule pretense to engage in regressive purging activity in their countries.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
Libyan writer Khaled Mattawa places this attack in the context of Salafist regressivism in the country:

----
My family and I are horrified at the death of the American ambassador who died in the U.S. consulate in Benghazi. We are safe in Tripoli. Our family in Benghazi as well as our friends are all well. Today, we plan to attend a demonstration to protest the attack on the American embassy, and the virulent and idiotic response to a worthless film.

The article below provides some background about the film and its producer, Sam Bacile, who knew that his film was going to be extremely controversial. Bacile may have also known that the film would jeopardize Obama's presidential campaign. So the film reeks of intra-U.S. politics. Lax security at U.S. embassies will get big play in the current presidential campaign.

In Libya, the radical goons who attacked the consulate may have done so to avenge a drone attack on one of their camps last spring, which no one here opposed. The film fell into their laps as a way to get back into the political game having lost badly at the elections and sent packing when they barged into Benghazi to implement Sharia.

Salafist/Al-Qaeda types have been increasing their use of violence to subvert the outcome of the democratic elections which have shown that the Libyan population is generally moderate and wants to establish a modern civil state no a religious one. A largely discredited conservative cleric, Ismael Al-Salabi, trying to ride the furor to regain favor, stated that Libyans and other Muslims were provoked by this film.
He's not the only politician in Libya and the U.S. who will use this incident to his political purposes.

On both political fronts, and elsewhere, there will be a great deal of devilish spin that relies on seemingly insurmountable ignorance. Large segments of the Libyan population have no historical context in which to place this film, no idea that anti-Islam rhetoric goes back to the beginning of their religion, and no idea that this insipid film in no way represents the American public.

On both political fronts, and elsewhere, there will be a great deal of devilish spin that relies on seemingly insurmountable ignorance. Large segments of the Libyan population have no historical context in which to place this film, no idea that anti-Islam rhetoric goes back to the beginning of their religion, and no idea that this insipid film in no way represents the American public.

Romney's people will use the imagery in their campaign and the footage may be used again when he, as President, authorizes or agrees to American/Israeli war on Iran. This whole episode is the kind of thing he's been praying for.

Speaking from within Libya, and aware that many are upset by the film, I see that most people feel that the attack on the consulate is a grave error that in no way represents their anger at the Muhammad film. The controversy over the film is divisive, and that's exactly what the Al-Qaeda types want.

Most of us fear is that things will indeed get worse before we rid of the Al-Qaeda/salafist scourge, which I am certain we will.

It is possible to express horror at both, the insipid made in a spirit of hatred to provoke hatred, and at the attack on the consulate whose personnel, and whose government, in no way supports this film. This where most Libyans I stand and I stand with them in their shock and sorrow.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 12, 2012

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
Libyans have set up a page on facebook condemning the attack, titled "I am a Libyan and I condemn the killing of the American ambassador in Libya; Terrorism does not represent me"

"There is no religion in terrorism"

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

Sex Vicar posted:

This whole thing is peculiar. It's a small thing but his youtube channel is still up. If you check his favourites and comments, It's all Arabic and he's favourited some videos in Arabic. Wouldn't an Israeli-American be speaking in English or Hebrew on their own comments? Arabic wouldn't really be the first language of choice.

The comment he wrote is in Egyptian, points pretty directly to that

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

PowderKeg posted:

anyone have a link for this? I have a friend on FB with a "wheres the muslin outrage??!!?" post that needs this in the comments.

Yes here https://www.facebook.com/khaled.mattawa.5/posts/107442892742237

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
"Apologies to the Prophet, Apologies to America"

"The armed minority of today will become the tyranny of tomorrow"

"Don't turn Libya into Afghanistan"

"No to the militias, yes to the army"

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

The Asian Oprah posted:

Learn to talk to people you disagree with, y'all.

I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing the irony of anti-war/pro-diplomacy leftists advocating severing communications over ideological differences. An engagement strategy to be emulated.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 13, 2012

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
Some pictures from an anti-terrorism protest in Tripoli: http://naziha10.tumblr.com/post/31457278125/rip-chris-stevens-protest-to-condemn-the-violent

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

The Asian Oprah posted:

This was brought up earlier in the thread--folks need to keep in mind that this isn't just a freedom of speech issue that's existing in a vacuum. Here, this guy said it well:

I find that "imperialism" is, 99% of time in modern political discussions, an utterly meaningless buzzword that gets thrown around with absolutely no explanatory power. We might as well be claiming that these Salafis are angry about the gravitational pull exerted by pink croissants.

These attacks were conducted by an unpopular reactionary fringe attempting to assert power after their failure in the recent elections. The United States, especially in Eastern Libya, is exceedingly popular due to their assistance of Benghazi during the revolution. Hisham Matyar from Benghazi wrote this:

quote:

Were the attacks on the United States Consulate in Benghazi, which killed the American Ambassador and three other diplomats, motivated by the film that the assailants, and many news networks, claim was their motive? Was it really religious outrage that made a few young men lose their heads and commit murder? Have any of the men who attacked the consulate actually seen the film? I do not know one Libyan who has, despite being in close contact with friends and relatives in Benghazi. And the attack was not preceded by vocal outrage toward the film. Libyan Internet sites and Facebook pages were not suddenly busy with chatter about it.

The film is offensive. It appears that it was made, rather clumsily, with the deliberate intention to offend. And if what happened yesterday was not, as I suspect, motivated by popular outrage, that outrage has now, as it were, caught up with the event. So, some might say, the fact that the attack might have been motivated by different intentions than those stated no longer matters. I don’t think so. It is important to see the incident for what it most likely was.

No specific group claimed responsibility for the attack, which was well orchestrated and involved heavy weapons. It is thought to be the work of the same Salafi, ultra-religious groups who have perpetrated similar assaults in Benghazi. They are religious, authoritarian groups who justify their actions through very selective, corrupt, and ultimately self-serving interpretations of Islam. Under Qaddafi, they kept quiet. In the early days of the revolution some of them claimed that fighting Qaddafi was un-Islamic and conveniently issued a fatwa demanding full obedience to the ruler. This is Libya’s extreme right. And, while much is still uncertain, Tuesday’s attack appears to have been their attempt to escalate a strategy they have employed ever since the Libyan revolution overthrew Colonel Qaddafi’s dictatorship. They see in these days, in which the new Libya and its young institutions are still fragile, an opportunity to grab power. They want to exploit the impatient resentments of young people in particular in order to disrupt progress and the development of democratic institutions.

Even though they appear to be well funded from abroad and capable of ruthless acts of violence against Libyans and foreigners, these groups have so far failed to gain widespread support. In fact, the opposite: their actions have alienated most Libyans.

Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens was a popular figure in Libya, and nowhere more than in Benghazi. Friends and relatives there tell me that the city is mournful. There have been spontaneous demonstrations denouncing the attack. Popular Libyan Web sites are full of condemnations of those who carried out the assault. And there was a general air of despondency in the city Wednesday night. The streets were not as crowded and bustling as usual. There is a deep and palpable sense that Benghazi, the proud birthplace of the revolution, has failed to protect a highly regarded guest. There is outrage that Tripoli is yet to send government officials to Benghazi to condemn the attacks, instigate the necessary investigations and visit the Libyan members of the consulate staff who were wounded in the attack. There is anger, too, toward the government’s failure to protect hospitals, courtrooms, and other embassies that have recently suffered similar attacks in Benghazi. The city seems to have been left at the mercy of fanatics. And many fear that it will now become isolated. In fact, several American and European delegates and N.G.O. personnel have cancelled trips they had planned to make to Benghazi.

And these far-right groups that feign religious and moral outrage are being very deliberate in their progress. They have turned a blind eye to what can be argued are conservative Libyans’ more traditional concerns. They have said nothing, for example, about the widespread consumption of drugs and alcohol among Libya’s youth, about the young men who fill Tripoli’s costal cafés late into the night, descending into hopeless states of intoxication before every weekend. This is not an oversight but intentional. Infringing on the freedoms and fun of young people would provoke too much anger and, more crucially, lose the extreme right the support of their main target audience: young men. Like Benito Mussolini’s Milan fascio in nineteen-twenties Italy, Libya’s far right knows that it cannot rule through violence and fear if it does not have the young and strong on its side.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/comment/2012/09/what-was-really-behind-the-benghazi-attack.html#ixzz26MuLMxEg

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 13, 2012

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
The Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood website with an article positive towards the raid on the embassy, contrary to Morsi's statement

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 14, 2012

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

Count Chocula posted:

Let's take a step back. If you were in Libya and were negatively impacted by American actions (and I'm sure many people in every country were negatively impacted by US actions) would you feel justified in protesting the embassy - the symbol of their power?

Ok, let's understand this. These Salafi gangs haven't been "negatively impacted" by America's actions. In fact, the exact opposite. America was a crucial element of assisting the Libyan people in overthrowing Gaddafi, a dictator despised by the vast majority of the Libyan people. As a result of the revolution, these right-wing murderers were rid of the totalitarian element that had helped to keep their activities completely suppressed, they were able to raid Gaddafi's storehouses of weapons, and form armed gangs that have yet to be disbanded. After the political character of the Libyan people became apparent in the national elections, especially in a secularly minded place like Benghazi, they've become increasingly assertive in trying to wreck the development of political institutions in the country, destroy historical artifacts and libraries, along with terrorizing liberals and women to impose the worst type of Saudi-style fascism in Libya.

This was posted before, but as Libyan Khaled Mattawa describes here this attack was essentially another act in the long pattern of violent Salafi regressivism in the country.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 14, 2012

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
"Nakoula Bassely Nakoula," the guy behind the movie, gave an Arabic interview to Radio Sawa. He speaks with a pretty obvious Egyptian accent.

quote:

In an exclusive interview with RadioSawa.com, reporter Fadoua Massat conducted an interview by telephone with a man who claimed that he is the director, lead producer and screenwriter of the controversial film “Innocence of Muslims,” which has caused violent protests across the Arab World. RadioSawa conducted two interviews with this man in Arabic; one was recorded.

In the interview, the man did not confirm or deny that his name was Nakoula Basseley Nakoula. His location could not be confirmed. However, the source that provided the contact number confirmed that he has a long-standing relationship with the man and his identity is indeed that of Mr. Nakoula.

The AP has reported that US law enforcement authorities have identified a Coptic Christian by the name of Nakoula Basseley Nakoula as the man responsible for producing the film. The AP reports he pleaded no contest in 2010 to federal bank fraud charges in California.

The man told RadioSawa.com that he is an Egyptian and got a degree at the Faculty of Literature at Cairo University and is also a self-proclaimed researcher in Islamic studies. He doesn't claim to hold a degree in that subject. He claims he wrote a book in 1994 after being disturbed by the treatment of Jews in Iran and the fatwa against author Salman Rushdie.

Below is an English transcript of the interview conducted in Arabic.

Q: Are you the producer behind the movie “Innocence of Muslims?”
A: I am the screenwriter of this film but I am not the producer. I only uploaded 14 minutes of the movie on the Internet. I still have the full movie but if I put the entire movie online there will be a great fuss because of the parties that produced it. [Nakoula later confirmed he was the main producer.]

Q: Who are these parties?
A: I am not able to reveal them.

Q: Some are saying that the United States was involved…
A: This is funny and ridiculous. America has nothing to do with the film.

Q: Who produced this movie then?
A: I will not disclose the producers' names.

Q: How did you decide to write the script for this film?
A: I had published a book in 1994 [on Islam] and it impressed certain parties who asked me if I could turn this book into a movie and this is what I did.

Q: What is the title of the book?
A: I refuse to disclose the title of the book for security reasons because the title of the book will reveal my true identity. This book later became the script now directed by a famous European director whose name is jumbled on the film and one day he will reveal his true identity.

Q: Some actors who participated in the film told US media that you had misled them and believed they were acting in a movie about Egypt 2000 years ago.
A: The actors who participated in the film do not belong to an actors union and therefore do not have the right to contest the final form of the film. The producer retains full right to change the details of the film as he pleases.

Q: Are you admitting jthat you misled the actors?
A: This is a producer's right. He can put what he wants in the film without consulting the actors and what happened was that the actors performed roles under pseudonyms. I understand that they now fear for their lives, but my answer to them is that they do not belong to a professional association.

Q: Did you expect that the film would cause such strong reactions in the Arab and Muslim worlds?
A: Some people advised me – the other producers – but they put my mind at ease believing nothing would happen. The advisers were foreigners who do not know anything about Arabs and have never visited Arab countries. The producers were European and do business with the United States and Australia.

Q: How do you feel about the death of the US Ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens and the three other members of the embassy who died because of the angry reactions to the film?
A: First, the US ambassador's death has nothing to do with the film. The people who did this are thugs and thieves. I have a question for those people: If you are defending the Prophet, why do you steal from embassies? President Sadat said in the past: "Such is an uprising of thugs."

Q: But the film touched the feelings of Muslims strongly and they expressed outrage about it. You say that you are a researcher in Islamic Studies and know the stature of the Holy Prophet to Muslims and the film used [by Muslims] as a pretext to kill the US ambassador.
A: America is a victim of injustice in this case.

Q: How is the American government a victim?
A: What does the US government have to with these subjects? If a person anywhere in the world does something, should a government be held responsible? Of course not. We have to learn demonstrate peacefully against the issues on which we disagree, but it seems that Omar Suleiman was right when he said, "We are not yet ready for democracy."

Q: Do you regret the production of the film?
A: No, I do not regret it. I am saddened for the killing of ambassador, but I do not regret making it.

Q: If you had the chance again you will produce the same film?
A: I am no longer a young man. I've decided to retire. Enough.

Q: Do you have any kind of official protection by a government?
A: Absolutely not. I never enjoyed any kind of protection and why would I need protection while living a normal life?

Q: If you are living a normal life why not reveal your true identity?
A: For personal reasons.

Q: Many Egyptian Coptic organizations have condemned your film and rejected it completely. What is your comment on that?
A: They are free to do this and this is their right. These people have nothing to do with the subject of the film. The film was my idea alone and it only concerns me. I did not fabricate anything and everything in the film exists in Islamic books and heritage.

Q: Have you read the Koran?
A: Of course I read the Koran and more than 3,000 books on Islam and put these ideas in my film.

Q: You say you read about Islamic heritage and read the Koran, have you read about other religions? Why are you associating only negative things about Islam? Did you not find any negative things in other religions?
A: I'm familiar with other religions but I am interested in Islam in particular.

Q: You have defended America often in this conversation. Do you feel guilty after it happened?
A: Yes, I feel guilty. America has nothing to do with this subject and endured the results of film it has nothing to do with it.

Q: Do you have a message to Muslims?
A: Yes, I have a message for the whole world and not for Muslims. I hope that you watch the movie in full before you judge it.

Q: Are you saying the excerpts were manipulated to show negative scenes?
A: No, I am the one who leaked the 14 minutes and put it on the Internet and I am thinking about releasing the full film. Nobody manipulated my film.

Q: President Barack Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton denounced the film strongly and absolutely...
A. By God, the US President is responsible for his people, as well as US Secretary of State and every one has the right to say what he wants.

Q: How do you describe yourself?
A: An Arab thinker interested in Islamic affairs who refuses to disclose details such as my name or where I am or the name of the producers… I want to offer my condolences to the people of the United States.

In his second interview, the man also said that he was approached by anonymous people in recent days to write a “blank check” so they could buy the rights to the master copy of his entire two-hour film and destroy it.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

Joementum posted:

Current scene of the US embassy in Tunis.

I have a friend who possibly was in there and nobody has heard from her.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
Loot the mob stole from the American school in Tunisia, across the street from the embassy

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

Fandyien posted:

I was thinking of Indonesia and Malaysia and Brunei and stuff. I dunno if they're oceanic but I thought they were Muslim majority nations. If I'm wrong there, they at least have substantial Islamic populations, and I am wondering why those groups don't seem to be protesting.

There's significant historical and social differences between Arab countries and Indonesia and how Islam developed there. Regressive currents aren't all that pervasive in Indonesia; Indonesians tend to be more supportive of things like women's rights compared to places like Egypt.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 14, 2012

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
I'm seeing this on Tunisian Facebook pages: "The flag that Muslims took it upon themselves to take down. Defend the Prophet with knowledge and learning, People of "Read"

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

eSports Chaebol posted:

First Bert, now Statler? Just what the H*ll was Jim Henson really up to?

Well who doesn't love the Muppets?

• Locked thread