Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
So has there been anymore news about the attack that apparently happened/is happening on the Baghdad airport?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Swan Oat posted:

Surely declaring itself the sole legitimate jihadist organization and demanding loyalty oaths is going to damage relations with other organizations, right?

Well they're already hated by pretty much every other jihadist organization, this is basically just their way of saying "yeah well gently caress you guys, I'll make my own caliphate!" *

*With blackjack! And hookers!

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Spoke Lee posted:

Anyone know what page of this thread ISIS info first surfaced? I don't know much about the current situation and I would like to fix that.

I don't remember the exact page-number, but keep going back until you hit posts dated to June 10 or so, I think thats around when ISIS first launched their offensive.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I don't follow U.S. politics all that much (:canada:) so forgive me if this sounds a bit dumb, but all this talk about early Iraq makes me curious how much, if any, of the Bush regulars transferred over to the Obama government.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
D&D is so easy to troll. :allears:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
If ISIS takes Baghdad, what happens then? I can't imagine it'll do wonders for the Iraqi Army's already terrible morale.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Serious question: in the event that Iraqi Kurdistan really did declare independence, what would a Kurdish state look like? Would the region operate more or less the same as it always has?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

FaceAttack posted:

Good observation only my part because you didn't make a point yourself. Easy to make a criticism without adding anything of substance, isn't it? The point of the matter is that the public would have been fine with another crazy old white military "hawk".

What does this even mean? Are you trying to say McCain lost the election because of his economic policy? Because loving :lol: if you thought anyone supported further intervention in Iraq by that point. Absolutely no one would have been "ok" with another crazy old white militant.

Edit:

Cippalippus posted:

2) Americans are just stupid

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 13, 2014

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Torpor posted:

I think most people on the planet are going to react to the news in some variation of, "yeah, that is pretty sensible, as I'm not really a fan of genocide". It is just perplexing because it was an obvious way to score domestic political points, to look like a badass leader, but Obama took like a couple weeks to form a committee to kind of consider the option of maybe doing...fuckittroops. Stopping genocide is like such a hilariously one sided issue it is insane.

Putting troops in Iraq under pretty much any other capacity at this point is pretty much political suicide. Obama's probably riding high on the bi-partisan support right now.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

McDowell posted:

The only way to stop a bad guy with WMD is a good guy with WMD - why wouldn't Israel bomb the poo poo out of ISIL if they look like they are about to get a hold on whatever Assad has left? Assuming Assad doesn't launch it against Israel as a good bye kiss. Getting it to a Western Target, especially America, would still be logistically difficult if they did have the materials. But history has shown that hysterical fear about what could happen is the best approach. The smoking gun could be a mushroom cloud!

I guess Caligula really was your best role.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

New Division posted:

Politics. He wanted to downplay the risks of any mission to the public and to appease his own party's progressives who are leery of any extensive camapaign in the region.

edit: Torpor, Apaches have recently been deployed and used in action, though I don't think there's more than a few of them in Iraq. Helicopter squadrons have to be deployed within Iraq, and large numbers would require US combat troops if only to protect the airbase they operate from.

Yeah this, especially considering it's an election year. People haven't forgotten the last decade-long clusterfuck in the middle-east, they are not eager for a repeat.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
So if ISIS ever takes Kobane, where do they go next? Push on Baghdad, gently caress with Assad some more or turn on something else?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

CNBC posted:

U.S. crude prices rose about 1.5 percent immediately after the news broke.

Why doesn't this surprise me at all.

New Division posted:

Looks like Salman will succeed Abdullah. That's the 79 year old that is suspected to be suffering from dementia.

What kind of dementia we talking about here? If it's alzhimers then man I hope the dude has some really good aides running things behind the scenes or Saudi Arabia is in for some (not so) fun times.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 23, 2015

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Young Freud posted:

I've always thought the reason the Iraqis lost Mosul had less to do with military competency and more to do with political will, especially given the whole Shia-Sunni-Kurd ethno-political infighting in post-Saddam Iraq.

Weren't there also rumors that the military had been infiltrated by Daesh at the time? I distinctly remember talk about that last June-July when they were on that big offensive.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Megasabin posted:

The article about al-nursa mentioned they were going to combine with a smaller chechnyan Nikita. Can someone explian to me why chechnyans are involved in organized fighting in Syria?

Long story short, Chechnya is basically what happens when Islamic extremism goes Russian. Chechnya and Russia have fought two wars with each other within the last two decades and it pretty much wrecked everything the Chechnyan's had. Needless to say they don't get along. Russia's made no secret about it's interest in Syria so maybe this is their way of getting a few potshots in at the big guy.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

karl fungus posted:

Who is even joining ISIS at this point, and why?

That Article posted:

He dropped out of school in the middle of last year and bought a one-way ticket to Istanbul, en route to Iraq and Syria.

So right around the point when ISIS was still on the offensive. I wonder how many people joined up because of their successes, and how many of those people are still left now.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Cat Mattress posted:

Turkey already had Batman, now they have Gundam as well.

They got Turkish Star Wars, Turkish Batman and now Turkish Gundam.

Anyone wanna bet on what Turkey's getting next? 50/1 odds on Turkish Lord of the Rings!

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

karl fungus posted:

Does Iraq have a chance of making a decent recovery once ISIS is thrown off, or do they have too much else going on?

Iraq as a contiguous nation basically doesn't exist anymore. The Shiite and Shia are at each-other's throats and even if that was somehow settled there is no way in hell the Kurds are ever giving back all the territory they now basically own.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Turkey has been going pretty apeshit lately regarding other countries recognizing the Armenian genocide.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/04/22/us-turkey-erdogan-armenia-idUSKBN0ND1AD20150422

"Yes, lets condemn loving Germany for having a "biased" opinion of genocide, that will make us look like a respectable government!" said the Turkish Foreign Ministry to themselves before snuffing another bag of coke.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
It's going to be interesting/horrifying to see what SA is like in however long it takes for their oil reserves to run out. Do they have any other exports besides "lots of oil" and "lots of jihad"?

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 23, 2015

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Didn't Assad actively help (or at least actively ignored) ISIS for a good long while because they were great at clearing out all the other rebel groups? I can't help but think he's starting to seriously regret that decision.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Xandu posted:

Didn't Erdogan win pretty handily just a last August? What changed?

Edrogan hasn't exactly been too discreet about his intentions to turn Turkey into a dictatorship and people are starting to notice.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

FaustianQ posted:

Had no idea MIGF was probated (new to PMs and didn't know it wouldn't replace the avatar).

Radium did 9/11! :tinfoil:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Torpor posted:

https://twitter.com/turkishreporter

They haven't actually gone in, but I have been seeing twitter mumbling about it for the past day or so.

edit: https://twitter.com/hashtag/SafeZone?src=hash

That is a confusing hashtag at the moment.

Watch Edrogan start a loving war!(?)

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Baloogan posted:

Egypt is its own barrel of idiocy, I'm pissed at the KSA.

Al-saqr has gone on record multiple times that he isn't exactly fond of it either so I don't know why you're singling him out.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
It is darkly hilarious to me that both Russia and America enjoy a huge support base in Vietnam.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
If AKP gets a majority but doesn't get 330 seats what happens then?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Ikasuhito posted:

I hate to interrupt the usual pissing match, but has anyone else been hearing these rumors that the Afrin Kurds have attacked the rebels north of Aleppo?

Afrin's the canton way in the northwest right? What exactly have they been up to, they seem to be pretty isolated and I've heard basically nothing about them for the whole war.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

sparatuvs posted:

Man I hope Turkey really is about to invade Syria. Hope they send some more Russian pilots to hell in the process. Leopards vs t-72s should be fun to.

I hope they don't because like 90% of the Turkish/Syria border is under Kurdish control. Unless they restrict themselves to the no-man's land west of the Euphrates but I wouldn't exactly hold my breath.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

fade5 posted:

To tie it to your second question, Turkey isn't exactly talking out it's rear end when it says the YPG has links to the PKK. There are quite a few Turkish Kurds and Kurdish PKK members who have gone to Syria and are fighting with the YPG. Now if Turkey/Erdogan was smart they'd encourage this and be happy that the "radical PKK terrorists" are leaving Turkey for Syria, while continuing the peace process with the PKK. (Instead Erdogan decided to abandon the peace process and risk restarting the Turkish-PKK Civil War.:downsgun:)

I remember when Kobani was getting started a couple of videos came out showing a bunch of Turkish Kurds crossing the border to help with the fight. It was kind of erie honestly, like it was basically a dozen or so dudes in plain clothes with AK-47's and poo poo, just marching at night and chanting songs like they were headed to some kind of football game.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
In addition to what fade5 just said, it's basically a political slam dunk for the US because the whole narrative of "US vs Daesh" is about as black and white as you can get without bringing Hitler back from the dead. They can do just about anything to them and come off as heroes to just about anyone who isn't named Putin or Assad.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Man it really says something about the middle east that loving Somalia is considered a better place to live.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Dapper_Swindler posted:

all of this stuff reminds me of the 19th century and all the Great game poo poo, with all the great powers dicking each other over for pieces of the dying ottoman empire and central Asia. which means we are probably heading toward another world war eventually. so when do you think the Iranian/saudi cold war will be come a hot one.

You do know why the Cold War remained a cold war, right?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Sergg posted:

Yup, boom. Nailed it. I was literally right about to post this. UK's Prime Minister was super embarrassed by his parliament's surprise refusal and Obama would have been going in alone. In Libya we had NATO and a UNSC resolution due to Ghaddafi's diplomatic isolation.

Can someone elaborate a little more on this? Why would the British Parliament be opposed to an intervention (besides the obvious Iraq memories)? Sorry if that sounds a bit ignorant but I know even less about British politics than I do about American politics so I'm kind of flying blind here.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
So what happens when Putin-Assad starts pushing into/pushing the rebels into the Kurdish areas? I can't imagine the FSA/Kurds/Americans/whoever the gently caress is calling the shots up there would be too thrilled if Assad starts trying to assert direct control over the area again.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

fade5 posted:

Very big changes are happening in North Aleppo, basically.

It really says something about Assad when thousands of civilians are fleeing the area before the internationally recognized government re-establishes control.

What's the likelyhood of a whole lot more mass graves turning up if/when the SAA solidifies their grip on the area?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Kurtofan posted:

Where do you live?

Saudi Arabia I'm pretty sure.

To all the McDowells and MIGF's out there that want to burn the Middle East in nuclear fire or send every arab to concentration camps, keep in mind that there are actual innocent people down there as the presence of folks like Al-Saqr on this forum should make extraordinarily loving clear.

Edit: Theres some guys from Saudi Arabia attending my college right now. I live in Canada FWIW. I can't imagine what it would be like for them if poo poo hit the fan while they were abroad.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 5, 2016

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I thought Raqqa was where al-Baghdadi and the seat of ISIS power are at?

Didn't all the ISIS leadership jump ship from Syria awhile ago?

Does ISIS even have a central leadership anymore? I don't think Baghdadi's done anything for years.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I don't really see any way in hell this can end well for Turkey since everyone already on the ground has good reason to hate them at this point.

Bonus points if they're dumb enough to go against Russia, that's like half the reason Obama wanted to stay out of this shitshow in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Ragingsheep posted:

They're manually guided by a piece of string.

Weapons tech gets weird sometimes, attaching a spool of wire to a loving rocket and calling it a guidance system is the very last thing I ever would have thought to do but I guess it works pretty well. :shrug:

• Locked thread