Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Arzy posted:

So just suck it up huh? Allow US ambassadors to be killed whenever and wherever?

We look weak, and the world will see it. Pathetic. Embarassing.

Thanks Romney, it feels cool to have Vilerat's corpse be paraded as a casus loving belli, real loving appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Filboid Studge posted:

RIP, Vilerat. drat shame.

On the 'what the everliving gently caress, McCaine' front, wasn't it the permabanned T-Paine who made the "laughable Xhosa girl" post, anyway?

Nope. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1417104#post295670302

Also real classy ReindeerF, using homophobia as a stick to beat McCaine with. (if it's any consolation iirc Lf didn't like Mccaine either)

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Lamuella posted:

Question to those saying they want the US to "go after these people":

Which people? The ones who committed this act? The people who supported them? Salafists in general?

Where are we drawing the line?

Arrest those who spilled blood, arrest the filmmaker and his backers. If this were a perfect world, of course.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

B-b-but Hitler was exercising his right to freedom of speech when he called the Jews subhuman, it's not his fault Kristallnacht happened :qq:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

shrike82 posted:

Yes, posting a video on Youtube is just like Hitler and Kristallnacht....

The point is that the ideal solution would be to arrest and try the mob and Salafists for storming the embassy, and to arrest and try those behind the movie on the grounds of hate speech. Going "GUYS GUYS freedom of speech" doesn't really help if we have a bunch of treasonous weasels dancing around and making life harder by stirring up poo poo.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

sentientcarbon posted:

Question: if I go online and piss off some evangelical christians by letting them know EXACTLY how offensive I find their religion, and one of them guns some random people down as a result, should I be arrested for that? Serious question, because I'm betting half the people on this forum (myself included) have said things about Christianity just as bad as the stuff said in this film.

If it gets people killed, yeah.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Fidel Castronaut posted:

That's absurd. It takes agency away from the killers.

I'm not saying you'd be the only person tried. Christ, why does everyone do this?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

SolarFire2 posted:

Please don't think I'm being patronizing, but I am genuinely curious: Are you old enough to remember the Ice T single 'Cop Killa'?

Reading about it on wikipedia it looks like he tried to be responsible and withdraw it?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Actually past a point they're viewed as one and the same, since obviously if you don't improve you're not really treating the victims as people.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

edit: nvm

Forums Terrorist fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Nov 15, 2012

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Miftan posted:

To be fair, a (highly hyped) ship with supplies came into Gaza and had weapons on it (Mavi Marmara), so you can understand the Israel fear there. Not condoning the siege in any way shape or form, but it has stopped weapons from going through.

What weapons would these be?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

They're actually Grads disguised as ambulences. That wasn't hard.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Your move, Putin.

http://rt.com/news/eu-arms-syria-embargo-russia-870/

tl;dr: The Russians are finalising a sale of the S-300 SAM system to Assad. As far as SAM systems go, the S-300 is a BAMF, since NATO's done several exercises with former Warsaw Pact members who still use it and generally even with extreme measures taken to nullify it it's perfectly capable of murdering limited strike forces. Basically if these get set up and the rebels don't take them then so much for Israeli strikes and/or drones.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

CeeJee posted:

And hundreds of airstrikes by the Syrian air force on its own population but these don't count apparently.

They don't as far as the Russians care because they're not making GBS threads on any state's sovereignty in the process.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Saint Celestine posted:

I would imagine the Israeli's would have a plan for dealing with the S-300 if it did get deployed? I assume so, cause of their track record dealing with state of the art SAM systems, like in the Bekaa valley back in the day?

Sancho posted:

I'm sure their plan involves asking us for more money/better arms =/.

This, basically. Their current bet is to hit them before they're set up, but if that falls through they're banking on the F-35...so basically they're doubling down on Plan A.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Warbadger posted:

It's considered a relatively modern system, approximately comparable to the Gulf War era Patriot. That being said, it has also been available for study and testing since at least the mid 90s and Syria would be lacking the complementary air defense systems and air superiority aircraft the Soviets/Russians would normally have used to protect it from attack. It won't help that Israel is close enough to pinpoint any active RADAR emitter for such a system from their back yards and appears to have no trouble whatsoever tracking Syrian equipment around the country.

Edit: Unless Syria is sticking the TELs, antennae, or C&C vehicles next to residential areas civilian deaths wouldn't really be an issue.

The problem's more that depending on how many get set up it'd make it fairly difficult to do anything except go full bore kick the door down, seeing as apparently from what I've read the S-300's a total bastard to neutralise.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Saint Celestine posted:

Is the S-300 dependent on its operators ? Meaning like, when Syrian's are operating it, is the effectiveness much reduced? Sorta like a Guards crew in a T-72, versus Iraqi conscripts in a T-72?

It does when operating in a less-than-optimal environment (i.e. the US and Israelis flying SEAD and running jammers constantly), but even so that's more of a "one plane dying versus half the flight" thing.

E: Again, this depends heavily on how many get set up, if there's only a few you can just swarm them with Tomahawks, though you're gonna need a lot of Tomahawks.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Yeah. Like I said though, that'll take a lot of them, and obviously as the number of batteries active goes up that becomes more and more unfeasible.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

SA-2s, -3s, -5s and -6s are all hopelessly obsolete against any army capable of employing stand-off jammers and SEAD. This is why the supposed S-300 shipment was such a big deal.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I did a quick skim of Russian ATGMs and it looked like an AT-4 Spigot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBv5_LoaNGk&t=124s

E: actually it's an AT-5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb2VB-nnO9Y Oooor I could not read descriptions I guess

Forums Terrorist fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 2, 2013

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Clearly it's an alias for BM.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Yeah, it used to be a cripplingly underdeveloped state failed by its economic ideology and reeling from austerity and undemocratic diktats from Moscow.

Now, it's a cripplingly underdeveloped state failed by its economic ideology and reeling from austerity and undemocratic diktats from Brussels. Progress!

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

At the current rate of miasma that's going to be the subtitle for every thread in D&D by Christmas. Seriously though, was Mubarak actually reinstated or was he just released?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Yeah, but those two piss me off the most when they use theirs. :shrug:

What, and not when the US vetoes everything to do with Israel, ever?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I'm going to listen to the White Stripes and pack a lunch for secondary school tomorrow because apparently it's 2003 again.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The argument is if Assad kills 100 people, whether he killed them by firing squad, aerial bombing or nerve gas should be irrelevant; he killed 100 people. Which is to say, if there was an unequivocally good time to intervene that time was a long while ago.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

So if/when they seize the stores, what exactly stops the rebels from gassing the regime right back?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Volkerball posted:

An international ban against chemical weapons. Which is now moot.

So nothing then?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

OwlBot 2000 posted:

Better call it quits and pray for Moammar Gaddafi to come back. Corruption and cronyism, rape-rooms, torture, firing artillery and using aircraft against civilians all under a 40-year dictatorship doesn't sound so bad compared to a few years of :siren: instability :siren:.

It does if, you know, a new dictator comes along because of that :frogsiren:instability:frogsiren:.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The F-35 is less a Toyota Camry and more an AMC Gremlin, complete with idiots rocking out to Bohemian Rhapsody and flashing laser pointers in the rearview.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Vladimir Putin posted:

I don't think anybody has suggested a credible course of action that adequately addresses Assad's chemical weapons usage that doesn't involve violence.

We could arm Assad. Why not do the openly, spitefully monstrous thing for a change? :shrek:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Forced to debate with IWC in the terrordome.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Funnily enough, I've been reading The Bear Went Over The Mountain lately. Wonder if those "observers" will be there to prop up Assad?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

No, because the absolute last thing Israel wants is to stick their dick in a beehive. They want wars and perceptions thereof that benefit them, they're not loving Khorne cultists from Warhammer.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Let's take a quick poll here. What would be the best thing for Syria right now?

A. military intervention
B. a diplomatic solution
C. more aid for refugees
D. an outbreak of polio

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/07/world/middleeast/who-escalates-polio-fight-in-reinfected-mideast.html

:sigh:

Look, if the rebels and protesters had rolled over and let Assad gas them all this wouldn't have happened

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I don't know if you've ever been in goonfleet but arghy isn't the most lucid of posters.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I wonder if Volkie thinks the US could have won Vietnam but for the media and the goddamn hippies.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Something something baghdad snackiecakes.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

you have 3 major problems in syria: the russians, the jihadists and assad. so the americans intervene.

now we have 4 problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

That implies non-suicide attacks on soft targets are different.

• Locked thread