Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tmo rathnam
Jul 5, 2012

by Fistgrrl

Xandu posted:

This is interesting, but there's some absurdly high refusal/don't know rates. How did 62% of people polled in Morocco not give an answer?

How recent is this poll? I think it might have something to do with how, at the time of the Libyan intervention, Morocco was still (and may still be to some degree? the news has died down somewhat) embroiled in its own protests that eventually saw the end to a decades-old state of emergency by the Moroccan government. It's possible that the average Moroccan was still weighing his or her options at the time of polling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tmo rathnam
Jul 5, 2012

by Fistgrrl

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Isn't it a war crime to use jet fighters to bomb cities indiscriminately? Yes I know, Dresden and all.
edit: I know that sounds silly considering Assad has been bombing his own people with pretty much every other hardware in the military, but fighter jets are such a staggering escalation it boggles the mind.

I wouldn't say "staggering," as other than helicopters, the Syrian Air Force seems to be (after some very, very lazy research) mainly composed of older MiG-21 and 23s, which typically fit rocket pods and bombs weighing up to 500 Kg. That's a lot, but I'm not sure it really constitutes a staggering escalation of conflict considering the government has for a while been using 240mm mortars (Brown Moses' blog has a few examples of the tail fins left behind in the wake of these things) which already weigh in at about ~100 kg each. When you keep in mind that a 240mm mortar is almost certainly guaranteed to have many more shells than a MiG fighter can carry bombs, the mass difference disappears in a hurry.

It's completely horrific that either could be used against civilians, of course. I'd just be skeptical to make the claim that the use of fighter bombs and rockets is really that big a step up from the helicopter gunships we've seen in Damascus in the last few days or, hell, the mortars that have been leaving those massive guidance fins as debris for a while.

tmo rathnam fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 24, 2012

tmo rathnam
Jul 5, 2012

by Fistgrrl

Kombotron posted:

The Temple Institute is a small organization that wishes to rebuild the 3rd Temple. They already have many of the Temple items reconstructed according to biblical descriptions.

Some rabbis declare that we need a special purification ritual based on a the burnings of a red heifer and until that time you can't rebuild the Temple, but others don't or that the Temple will come from the sky already built. It's an esoteric argument that few care too much about.

The act of rebuilding the Temple is not sacrilegious, it's just at this time, not politically viable. The biggest obstacle is that there is a mosque where the Temple is supposed to be built and trying to change the status quo there would spark a huge conflict.

If by "a mosque" you mean one of the most holy sites in Islam, yeah.

Why was I not surprised at all to see this was a Kombotron post.

e: In related news, plans to flatten out a section of the Old City and make way for new condos has hit a slight snag because there is a wall in the way.

tmo rathnam fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jul 27, 2012

tmo rathnam
Jul 5, 2012

by Fistgrrl
This is a little outside the scope of the conflict in Syria itself, but I have a question: Why do you suppose Iran has been so dead-set on aligning itself with the Assad government? Certainly they're hoping for a return to the old status quo, but that's something that becomes less and less likely every time they're associated with the repression of popular dissent- unless the FSA's popularity is wildly overestimated. Wouldn't it be smarter to back off a bit- providing diplomatic support for a reconciliation that favors Assad- and hedge their bets before throwing in with the victor? At the end of the day, Syria still has the practical concern of Israel to worry about. That alone (never mind the Alawites) would push them into Iran's camp. The only outcome that would be extremely negative for Iran would be a Syria that wants nothing to do with them, which seems to be what the Iranians are encouraging by sticking to their guns and backing Assad all the way.

tmo rathnam
Jul 5, 2012

by Fistgrrl

Pieter posted:

Perhaps neither Europe or the Middle East, but tensions have been running high between Armenia and Azerbaijan. The Armenian president has now said it is 'ready for war' with Azerbaijan, while the Azerbaijani president has been threatening Armenia for years.

The current Armenian anger is because Azerbaijan released an Azerbeijani soldier who hacked an Armenian soldier to death in 2004 using an axe :I This happened in Hungary where the Azerbaijani was sentenced to life. The convict was transferred from Hungary to Azerbaijan where he was supposed to remain jailed, but received a hero's welcome in Baku.

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19463968

I'm going to have to start reading up on this issue, I had no idea there was this kind of tension between the two states. Is it a result of the tension over Nagorno-Karabakh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tmo rathnam
Jul 5, 2012

by Fistgrrl

Nagato posted:

Can someone please link his last post?
(Ozma is editing out your stupid as hell post)
(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread