Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Xandu posted:

:nms::nws:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f9D6cDIu0E&feature=g-all-u
:nms::nws:

Supposedly the victims of the massacre in al-Tremseh.

That's really painful to watch, even more so considering how they're all laid out on the ground to be photographed by cell phones.

In case anyone was wondering, the narrator says "Martyrs of the Tremseh massacre, 12-7-2012... God is great... God is great..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Xandu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTp2X8dPAnk

"No peace and no watermelon (?), we want bullets and rockets."

I guess the "no x and no watermelon" is a common phrase in arabic.

It's not - "no x and no acorn" is what I've heard. "Watermelon" rhymes with "rockets" and I guess that's all they're going for (besides saying that peace is as desirable as watermelons to them).

E: why is Arabic script on Awful not working...

Tardigrade fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 16, 2012

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Toplowtech posted:

I would be more concerned by what will happen in Lebanon.

Nasrallah has already made it clear that poo poo will go down if Assad does.

Right now, things seem quiet. For now.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Capt Murphy posted:

Israel will join the fun the moment they feel threatened - and a Hezbollah coup falls under that heading.

A Hezbollah coup is threatening to everyone except Hezbollah. I'm certainly apprehensive of it, given that Lebanon will fall like a house of cards. Sectarianism is a bad, bad thing.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

HGH posted:

And we haven't gotten electricity for almost... 3 weeks I think? Aoun is still causing trouble, and I don't think backup generators/motors are going to last for a few months straight.

The electricity thing is getting everyone's hackles up, especially now when the air conditioning cuts off and we all wake up in sweltering heat. No wonder major events tend to happen in the summer.

What's Aoun's stance on current events?

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

RIP Vilerat, and my condolences to his family.

gently caress the ones who made the video, gently caress the rioters, and gently caress the politicians who will use this for their own ends.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Guiness13 posted:

To be fair, it looks like theirs is probably going to be closed now, too.

Probably not. There were branches in several areas.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

ryan8723 posted:

Good god man, the object of military technology to allow your country to kill others without putting any soldier in harm's way. The future of warfare is robotics and AI. There will come a time when we will not need infantry at all to do precision strikes.

If you want a personal connection to war by purposely putting soldiers in vulnerable positions then you're a naive idiot who is out of touch with what the majority of people want. Americans don't want to have any soldiers die, but they want results. The only way to do this is with an increased use of technology to get soldiers out of the battlefield.

The disparity between the haves and have nots is going to get enormous this century because of the above too. At some point it wouldn't surprise me to see fully unmanned tanks, vehicles, movable turrets that have legs or tracks. The opposing force might never see an American soldier in some battles.

But they don't have that technology. They can easily be massacred by war robots designed to kill as emotionlessly and efficiently as possible and produce those "results" of yours.

If both sides were slugging it out with unmanned robots, then I'd agree with you.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Myrdhale posted:

He, like many others, is only exposed to Muslims through the Media when something get broken. It's ignorant, but sadly not uncommon.

It would be like saying every single person from Alabama was like George Wallace, or that all Christians bomb abortion clinics.

I think the problem, at least for an outsider, is that the events you mentioned are done by scattered individuals, while those are riots with (what appears to be) lots of people.

E: vvv You think the average outsider exposed to Muslims through the media has context?

Tardigrade fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 19, 2012

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

ThePutty posted:

Why do you think much of the population in the West seems to pay no attention to Syria? At least you have the UN paying attention, ineffective as that's proven to be, but if you went and asked some regular person on the street about what's happened in the Middle East over the past 2 years, they wouldn't have an idea. Are all of these changes really that uninteresting? :smith:

It's just those crazy Arabs killing each other, who gives a gently caress.

E: yes, I was being sarcastic, in case it wasn't obvious. It's hard to get any public interest when the US isn't directly involved. :smith:

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

HGH posted:

Explosion hit pretty hard in Ashrafieh. From the reports so far, there have been no deaths, only injuries, but the area is in total chaos, what with being a large square in a fairly popular neighborhood.
Target is presumed to either be Bank Bemo or a March 14th party office of some sorts. The interior minister just arrived on the scene too.
If you've got the LBC channel, they're currently providing live coverage of the event.

BBC has 8 deaths and 70 wounded now. Please let this not be the revolution forcibly spilling into Lebanon, that's the last thing it needs. :smith:

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Baloogan posted:

What the world needs now is Team America: World Police~!

Would foreign intervention even do anything productive at this point? I really want to hope for the best, but Syria looks like it's slipping into anarchy that could mire an army indefinitely. Certainly, any outside forces wouldn't be warmly received.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Well this is bad. Explosions and gunfire in Tripoli.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

HGH posted:

So, should me and my family evacuate from Lebanon or wait a while before doing that? I don't want to risk another 2006...

You should be fine as long as you stay out of Hezbollah-controlled areas, since obviously those will be the ones targeted. Also bridges. And try to avoid having anything near your place that looks like it could be rockets.

Otherwise it's a long exercise in getting used to the sound of bomb explosions, warplane roars, and the infernal din of drones.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Holy poo poo that's impressive. Are they that desperate? Is there anything particular they're targeting? It doesn't look particularly accurate.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Brown Moses posted:

Meanwhile in Syria

Supposedly Hezbollah is heavily involved in fighting in that region, so it'll be interesting to see what happens next.

This is very worrisome. Is this the first time the Syrian army issues a warning to civilians? Whatever it is they're planning, it looks like it's going to be indiscriminate.

Brown Moses posted:

The latest from Kafranbel

I can see how those would be game-changing. Hezbollah would be able to penetrate deeper behind enemy lines than ever before.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

New Division posted:

I always thought it resembled Lebanese Civil War on steroids. It might reignite that war too.

Full-scale Israel intervention and the party's complete.

Dragging Lebanon into it seems to be Hezbollah's goal, and I really hope that doesn't happen - Lebanon doesn't need another war to add to its list of wars, especially not another bloody sectarian conflict. I've already been told by one friend that he canceled his yearly visit to Lebanon, looks like everyone's scared and waiting to see what's next.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Sethmaster posted:

My guts tells me we will sooner witness a herd of flying pigs over our skies than that ever happening.

Not exactly asking for Israel's help, but this happened during the 2006 war.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Meanwhile, there's been a car bomb in Dahieh?

Nobody seems to have owned up yet, but it looks like another Syrian attack on Hezballah (Dahieh being the Hezballah suburb of Beirut). Or could it be something else? :tinfoil:

quote:

But Hizbullah MP Ali Ammar told al-Manar that the blast was carried out by the supporters of the so-called American-Israeli project.

There[sic] attack “bears Israeli fingerprints,” he said as he inspected the damage.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

MothraAttack posted:

In other news, it appears there might have just been a very large explosion in a predominately Shia suburb of southern Beirut.

edit: Early speculation suggests it was near a Hezbollah security complex. Picture of the aftermath emerges. My guess is that the initial "One dead, three injured," Reuters is citing will increase a bit.

Friday has been announced as a national day of mourning. Over 20 dead and many more wounded according to reports.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Volkerball posted:

There's also a massive storm passing through the region, which is awful considering hundreds of thousands of refugees are living in plastic tents.

The storm was given the name Alexa, incidentally. The Ministry of Education closed schools today and tomorrow in anticipation of it. And the authorities are apparently mobilizing aid for the refugees? If they're in the Beqaa the weather will be worst there.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

An explosion just went off in Beirut. Near Bank Audi/downtown. Car bomb apparently.

E: target was Muhammad Shattah, Sunni and former Minister of Finance. With the Hariri case ongoing, the perpetrators are obvious.

E2: Syria, obviously, wasn't clear on that.

Tardigrade fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 28, 2013

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

New Lebanon explosion, this time in (Hezballah region) Dahieh. The New Year is starting with a bang, depressingly enough.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Fader Movitz posted:

secreterian conflicts.

What's a secreterian conflict like anyway?

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

More altercations in Beirut.

BBC posted:

Fresh clashes have erupted in Lebanon's capital Beirut among supporters and opponents of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

Lebanese troops were deployed after a number of casualties were reported in a predominantly Sunni Muslim area.

The clashes come after more than a week of factional violence in the northern city of Tripoli that has left 25 dead.

The fighting there is between supporters of Syria's rebels and those backing Mr Assad's Alawite sect.

Mr Assad has been fighting a three-year uprising against his rule. More than 100,000 have been killed since the conflict began.

Sunday's fighting broke out before dawn.

The state-run National News Agency quoted Shaker Birjawi, head of the pro-Assad Arab Movement Party, as saying four of his followers were wounded.

The army deployed troops to the area and the clashes appear to have decreased.

They follow more than a week of violence in Tripoli.

Battles there have raged between members of the predominantly Sunni district of Bab al-Tabbaneh and Jabal Muhsin, which is populated mainly by Alawites, the heterodox sect of President Assad,

The war in Syria has exacerbated tensions between the two districts in the northern port city.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

It's a good public relations move, he's purposely trying to present himself as a protector of religious minorities against jihadi terrorists. That's also why the regime highlighted the murder of that Dutch priest a while back.

It's kind of his main selling point. All the Christians I know are 100% in support of Assad, primarily because he did manage to keep minorities unpersecuted. That and the media is playing up the brutality of the rebels and "if they win you'll all be slaughtered".

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

HGH posted:

Welp, nice to see Lebanon's on the shitlist even for ISIS. I suppose we're a package deal with Syria and Israel.

ISIS presumably believes in Greater Syria. :v:

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Friendly Factory posted:

Archaeology and the Taliban have a lovely legacy together. I could write an effort post but I doubt anyone gives a poo poo. Basically, archaeologists are shortsighted as hell and lack human decency ethically far too often. It boils down to whether you'd rather have a few statues of Buddha destroyed or give the Taliban millions of dollars to stop them from doing it. Archaeology is too often a study in human objectification.

Archaeologists have millions of dollars to give the Taliban? News to me, I wish I had that when I was doing fieldwork.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

bagual posted:

I was under the impression that Arab nations have a massive pickle with turks because of centuries of Ottoman domination? I'm not actually too well versed in mid-east political imaginary, but i think most Arab states would throw a fit over turkish intervention, and i guess the local population wouldn't be very supportive either.

Yeah, there's still lingering anti-Ottoman sentiment, not sure how serious it would be. It's especially notable in Armenians for justifiable reasons, to the point where Lebanese Armenians said they were siding with Hezballah because they're Shia, unlike the Future party which is Sunni (therefore like the Turks).

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Obliterati posted:

Can someone explain this new term 'Daesh' to me? Is it just another word for IS/ISIS?

داعش
الدولة الإسلامية في العراق والشام

It's a much better acronym than the real-word Isis, and it ticks them off too, so it's a win-win.

E:

Svartvit posted:

The alif in the acronym also corresponds to the alif in islamiyya?

Yeah, the i in English. Formatting turned out wonky on that one. :(

Tardigrade fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 25, 2014

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

What's stopping them from bulldozing the Ka'ba? I mean, obviously, beyond the revenue in pilgrims, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's yet another thing the hardliners want. Daesh wanted to do that too, if I recall correctly.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

I fully expect his next announcement to be "Moon made of cheese, and we landed there before the US"

It's almost as if he's intentionally trying to be cartoonishly evil. Probably will demand to be known as Fearless Leader in his next announcement.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Ardent Communist posted:

The Mongols did massacre people, but that was only after giving them two chances to surrender.

The warnings were pretty scary too. They sent this one to Qutuz of Cairo.

quote:

From the King of Kings of the East and West, the Great Khan. To Qutuz the Mamluk, who fled to escape our swords. You should think of what happened to other countries and submit to us. You have heard how we have conquered a vast empire and have purified the earth of the disorders that tainted it. We have conquered vast areas, massacring all the people. You cannot escape from the terror of our armies. Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor armies stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations. Only those who beg our protection will be safe. Hasten your reply before the fire of war is kindled. Resist and you will suffer the most terrible catastrophes. We will shatter your mosques and reveal the weakness of your God and then will kill your children and your old men together. At present you are the only enemy against whom we have to march.

It did not go over well.

quote:

Qutuz responded, however, by killing the envoys and displaying their heads on Bab Zuweila, one of the gates of Cairo.

Long story short, the Mamluks then proceeded to hand the Mongols their first real military defeat.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Vernii posted:

I've never heard of that, got a decent summary of how the war went?

Phoneposting right now, but Wikipedia has a good writeup, and far as I remember Amin Maalouf had a chapter on the subject (cf. The Crusades Through Arab Eyes).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ain_Jalut

Also notable because it paved the way for Baibars' rise to power, and effectively the end of the crusader presence in the Levant.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

A friend posted this on Facebook, I felt it was appropriate for the thread as the year draws to a close.

"Daesh" wishes you a merry Christmas

Stay safe. :smith:

E: vvv of course it's not daesh themselves, if that wasn't clear.

Tardigrade fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 25, 2014

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

HGH posted:

I can't believe it's been 10 years already. It's depressing to know that there'll never ever be someone that could live up to Hariri, at least not in the current climate.
I want to be mad at incompetence in this whole issue but, in reality, there's no fighting Hezbollah here. It's like some horrible blood-sucking tick that can't be removed. The accused/defendants are probably beyond any organizations reach right now, short of razing the country to the ground, which isn't so improbable considering our neighbors.

Anyway, those bastards are still blocking the elections here. It's gonna be 8 months with no president soon.

Hey, at least we can claim to be a country capable of running without a president, right? :smith::hf::smith:

Kurds carving a chunk out of Syria seems like a good idea, at least until Syria decides to annex* Lebanon in retaliation and raze Kurdistan into unidentifiable rubble.

*at least, depending on who you ask, Lebanon has always been part of Greater Syria, how dare you insinuate otherwise?

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

MothraAttack posted:

loving ISIS apparently just demolished the temple of Baal in Palmyra.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baalshamin

Going out on a limb here and guessing they don't recognize the influence of Northwest Semitic beliefs on the Abrahamic faiths.

Even if they did they wouldn't care. They'd be joining Saudi Arabia in bulldozing any ancient building associated with Muhammad.

Bait and Swatch posted:

Anyone have a good source on the background of the current protests? Like what has happened over the last year or so that lead up to this? With everything else going on, I haven't paid attention to Lebanon beyond a documentary on some border towns.

Short version: no president and lots of garbage.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Xandu posted:

Yeah but I mean DAISH means the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria.

And so does ISIS?

Daesh sounds a lot funnier in Arabic, at any rate.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

fade5 posted:

Original-sized picture I put on imgur, any chance someone in the thread can translate it?

Seems to be a list of security guards on the western sector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Gobbeldygook posted:

Does everyone in Lebanon still pay the generator mafia for electricity?

Yes, that isn't going to change any time soon (currently have two emergency sources of power besides national electricity).

Garbage crisis isn't leaving either. Aounsplainers were saying words to the effect of "it's not the president's job to deal with the garbage, you poor ignoramus".

• Locked thread