Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I can only hope that Obama bows out and accepts this initiative, with a speech about how the threat of force lead to actual successful diplomacy and the standard against chemical weapons use was upheld or something. This is beyond embarrassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Firing a few cruise missiles at Syria would not improve the situation for the people in Syria as well. If this works and Assad never uses chemical weapons again, all is as good as we can hope for. The only thing the west could do would be to invade Syria and partition it in a way that the ethnic/religious communities are divided in separate countries. But this would involve a big land war, and nobody has the political will to do something like that, not to mention that it would provoke an even bigger anti-western reaction. This diplomatic solution is the best course of action from a realpolitik standpoint I think. Obama can still bomb the country should Assad use the weapons again, which would admittedly be small comfort for the victims.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
German newspaper Der Spiegel is now guessing that this was not a gaffe by Kerry, citing a report by the London based Al-Quds Al-Arabi about secret US-Russian negotiations at the G20 summit. The report from last Friday says that the biggest demand of the US was that Assad needs to destroy all of his non-conventional weapons.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Al-Saqr posted:

The attack on baqubah has been repelled by the Iraqi military, I definitely think at this point we've seen the end of what ISIS can do.

You mean the most ISIS can expand. They still hold a shitload of territory. I still think it won't end well for Iraq.

Brown Moses posted:

The UK Foreign Office just announced it'll reopen the embassy in Iran due to increased contact over the ongoing situation in Iran

Together with the thawing of US-Iran relations, I wondered what kind of competing interests the USA and Iran even have in the Middle East, aside from Israel. Of course they finance some terrorist organizations, but the US "allies" in the region have no problems financing their own brands of (Sunni) terrorism. The Iranian hostage crisis was more than 30 years ago. Am I wrong in thinking that the USA could only win if it establishes better relations with Iran?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sergg posted:

http://news.yahoo.com/u-considers-air-strikes-iraq-holds-talks-iran-003051937.html

Maliki tells everyone to go gently caress themselves, no reconciliation with Sunnis. Matter of fact, he is boycotting working with Sunni political parties, announcing a crackdown on politicians and officers he considers "traitors". He also accuses Saudi Arabia of contributing to "genocide", and accuses the Kurds of conspiring with the Sunnis.
:aaa: That can only end well.

quote:

Baiji refinery north of Baghdad is shut down, making it difficult for Iraqis to get enough fuel and pump enough water for the hot summer.
Sounds vaguely familiar. Of course the Ukrainians are not too worried about the current Russian energy embargo since they don't need that much in the European summer.

quote:

"According to one Shi'ite Islamist working in the government, well-trained fighters from the Shi'ite organisations Asaib Ahl Haq, Khetaeb Hezbollah and the Badr Organisation are now being deployed as the main combat force, while new civilian volunteers will be used to hold ground after it is taken."
Yes, this won't end well :negative:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nckdictator posted:

quote:

How did this whole story began, shia's were much safe in saddams period, he led the country for years because he was Just,(though he was lil brutal) these corrupt Iranian puppets Made Iraq a hell.

Noted fair and just person Saddam Hussein, under whom Shiites were safe and he was only a "little" brutal.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The PKK-Turkey conflict is also a different beast compared to a few decades ago. Besides, Realpolitik sometimes makes you choose between two unappealing options, tolerating a Kurdish buffer state may be preferable for Turkey in this situation.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Can their leader really claim descent from the Prophet?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Exioce posted:

As for being a descendant of Muhammad, this was never a requirement for the Caliph in Sunni Islam.

But he claims to be a descendant:

quote:

Therefore, the shūrā (consultation) council of the Islamic State studied this matter after the Islamic State
– by Allah’s grace – gained the essentials necessary for khilāfah, which the Muslims are sinful for if they
do not try to establish. In light of the fact that the Islamic State has no shar’ī (legal) constraint or excuse
that can justify delaying or neglecting the establishment of the khilāfah such that it would not be sinful,
the Islamic State – represented by ahlul-halli-wal-‘aqd (its people of authority), consisting of its senior
figures, leaders, and the shūrā council – resolved to announce the establishment of the Islamic khilāfah,
the appointment of a khalīfah for the Muslims, and the pledge of allegiance to the shaykh (sheikh), the
mujāhid, the scholar who practices what he preaches, the worshipper, the leader, the warrior, the reviver,
descendent from the family of the Prophet, the slave of Allah, Ibrāhīm Ibn ‘Awwād Ibn Ibrāhīm Ibn ‘Alī
Ibn Muhammad al-Badrī al-Hāshimī al-Husaynī al-Qurashī by lineage, as-Sāmurrā’ī by birth and
upbringing, al-Baghdādī by residence and scholarship.
And he has accepted the bay’ah (pledge of
allegiance). Thus, he is the imam and khalīfah for the Muslims everywhere. Accordingly, the “Iraq and
Shām” in the name of the Islamic State is henceforth removed from all official deliberations and
communications, and the official name is the Islamic State from the date of this declaration.

Or am I reading things wrong?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Fangz posted:

Oh, they want all of India? That seems... ambitious.

We already talked about that, if ISIS gets all lands they claim, Muslims won't be the majority in the new state.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nenonen posted:

This picture in particular, the game is Victoria 2

I want to see 10k ISIS fighters take on about 70 million Shiites in Iran. Good luck with that.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Looking at the map again, that's not the current northern border of India. Wanting a part of China as well, they certainly ARE ambitious!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ChaosSamusX posted:

The Iraqi government seems hell-bent on making sure they have absolutely no allies in the region whatsoever. Is this some new geopolitical strategy akin to 'shooting the moon' in hearts (the card game)?

They learned that from ISIS, who seem just as determined to piss off all potential allies.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Section 31 posted:

ISIS plan for world Middle East domination

Taking Medina but not Mecca? Or is that just the medium terms plan, with the long term goal to conquer the whole planet?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Just The Facts posted:

The West should do everything they can to keep that fight going supply Al Qaida with arms.

Fixed that for your. What could go wrong? :downs:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
What Islamic Caliphate doesn't have getting control of Israel/Jerusalem as one of it's long term goals? :confused:

They may have enough on their plate with Syria and Iraq for now, but I'm 100% sure that they are not happy with the Jews controlling Palestine.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Calling Assad a good guy is ridiculous, but is he the lesser of two evils? How was Syria before their civil war started, I thought it was one of the better places in the Middle East?

The only good guys are certain parts of the Syrian opposition that are both weaker than ISIS or Assad. It will probably end very badly. :(

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Flaky posted:

America should never have believed the hype about the arab spring, nor should it have funnelled weapons to anyone. It should have encouraged regional partners to do likewise. When Syrian civil society was mature enough and sick of his poo poo enough, they would have thrown him out themselves. Now the country is more backwards than Afghanistan, an entire generation (probably more than one) is lost and Assad is still in power. Oh, and then there is the whole state full of Islamic extremists. Yeah great going world police.

America is not the only one funneling weapons or money to various rebels, there are the Saudis or Qatar or Iran etc.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

New Division posted:

Hmmm where are the good guys that we can funnel weapons and money to? If we could only figure that out the Middle East will finally know peace...

I heard this Erdogan fellow is a real leader and a big champion of western values (like freedom of speech). Perhaps Turkey could conquer the Middle East to erect a peaceful caliphate?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Aside from this, there's also the question of munitions. The US has the advantage in sheer numbers, matching the number of combat aircraft of the next two countries, but they're likely also far better supplied. They certainly were compared to their European counterparts during the bombing campaign in Libya.

I see this brought up all the time, but if you don't plan to invade other countries soon, does it really make sense to store munitions for a months-long bombing campaign?

And even if you plan an invasion, I think you would normally bomb the most important targets and then move in with ground troops, reducing the need for air strikes.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TildeATH posted:

That's a horribly corrosive metaphor. The "mowing the grass" and other preventive measures that states are using is actually a major cause of radical, militant Islam. It's the natural expression of a people who have been oppressed and seen their leaders executed or bought out, and their families bombed with American or European or Soviet-provided bombs.

Your metaphor only makes sense if people were trying to prevent malaria by spraying water indiscriminately on mosquitoes, leaving behind pools of standing water as a result that makes it more likely for even more mosquitos to be bred than could have in the original situation.

Look how well it worked for Israel, periodically culling the population of Gaza! Now everybody loves Israel and it is safer than ever and...

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sergg posted:

Let's remember that for like 2000 years Europe was the most violent place on earth

Pax Romana ended only about 1850 years ago. Also, you are underestimating how violent places outside of Europe were at times.

Sergg posted:

and regularly had continent-spanning wars in which millions died

Please show me the continent spanning wars in which millions died that took place before the 17th century.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mightypeon posted:

Mongol conquest of China? Timurid invasion of Iran? Mongol Invasion of Iran? Arguably some of the bigger Chinese Warring state clashes?

Look at the original post I quoted. It's partly my fault for splitting the sentence, but the Op reads:

Sergg posted:

Let's remember that for like 2000 years Europe was the most violent place on earth and regularly had continent-spanning wars in which millions died and that it only stabilized after WWII when they divided most of Europe into ethnically homogeneous states. If you need a strongman like Assad or Saddam Hussein to maintain the integrity of your nation-state by getting all genocidy and gassy, then your nation-state ain't poo poo and needs some federating or partitioning.

Europe had continent spanning (that means Europe spanning in this instance) wars regularly in the last 2000 years, at least according to Sergg. All examples you cited were not in Europe, which only proves my point that Europe wasn't more violent than a lot of other places.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

suboptimal posted:

At this stage, I do have to wonder if the US and EU are going to re-enter the Libyan fray, albeit in a much more quiet way than 2011.

I somehow doubt that anybody in Europe is interested in seriously going back into the Arab world as long as the Ukraine situation is as dire as it is right now.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tafferling posted:

That and Italy is currently pissed off because their huge humanitarian relief effort (Mare Nostrum) has been cut to 1/3 its size after they managed to make the EU participate http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/31/italy-sea-mission-thousands-risk
and immigrants are already dying by the hundreds because their ships start sinking before even exiting lybian national waters.
Should the ISIS manage to oust the local scumbags and start trying something funny with immigrant barges the death count would jump by tens of thousands and we really don't want that.

Right, that would make it seem really, really horrendous what Frontex is (not) doing in the Mediterranean Sea, and then we would have to actually start rescuing people and we would get even more refugees. No EU government wants that.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Aleppo is just gone :stare:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
What a useless line of thinking. If the Abrahamic god exists then he is older than the universe. If not, then the Pyramids are only older than the fables about the Abrahamic god.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There is nothing wrong with negotiating with Assad except if you think that letting Syria being destroyed by a few decades of civil war is better than negotiating with one of the worst human beings in the world. If we let them alone, either Assad or the Islamists will commit ethnic/religious cleansing, which would be horrible, no matter who wins. But who knows, perhaps negotiations can create a better deal? Attempting negotiations to create something resembling peace is a good thing in my opinion, even though the odds of success are very low. It can hardly get worse than it is already.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Volkerball posted:

Just wait until you see what would happen if we came to terms with an agreement that Assad manipulated and loopholed enough to accept. Not that it matters because no rebels are going to accept any agreement like that knowing full well what awaits them from a butcher who's shown that his idea of peace in every "cease-fire" has been to round up all military aged males and disappear them. It'd be convenient for the US if this all just stopped and people accepted the boot on their face and the high probability of getting tortured for existing, but it won't happen. All this does is make the US look bad and further disenfranchise Sunni's who are pissed that the world doesn't care about them, and make ISIS' open arms stretch a little wider.

That obviously depends on the terms of the agreement reached, if there ever is an agreement, right? I think the talks resulting in failure is much more likely than the US accepting a deal as bad as you described.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

fspades posted:

You know, when Syrian and Iraqi civil wars ended up destroying ancient historic sites I didn't cared that much when I compared it to general human suffering going on. But if this poo poo sandwich turns old city of Sana'a into a pile of rubble I'm going to cry a bit.

Damascus and Aleppo are two of the oldest cities in the world, and Aleppo is basically reduced to rubble. Why is Sana'a different?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Armyman25 posted:

So, anyone have a summary of what resulted from all the Jordanian air strikes in February?

It seemed like it was a big thing for about a week, and then nothing. Did they hit the limits of their air force?

I thought they were placating domestic outrage after ISIS burned one of their pilots alive? I would guess that they didn't need to bomb any more after a while.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

My Imaginary GF posted:

That's not true, Volkerball; that's precisely what the Congress has been saying and the President ignoring in order to get any deal done. Its why Obama's row with Bibi won't stand, because, fundamentally, Iran will not change its unacceptable policy agendas. They can't, they're a totalitarian dictatorship subserviant to the final will of one man with no mechanisms other than death for his removal.

Like the King of Saudi Arabia? Doesn't stop the US from being friendly with their state.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Vladimir Putin posted:

If Iran has the bomb KSA will get the bomb, it's that simple. If Iran doesn't have the bomb there's no reason for KSA to do it.

Good thing for us that the deal negotiated today will most likely prevent Iran from getting the bomb.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

My Imaginary GF posted:

Its a bad deal with bipartisan opposition. It is the responsibility of Iran to create a deal agreeable to Congress, not the job of Congress to kowtow to a nation which chants "death to America" every week.

You can't trust demands made inbetween chants of death to America, its like when Hitler demanded the Danzig Corridor before he superduper promised to enter into disarmament talks.

If the treaty is dead, Iran loses everything. Everything. There will be months of bombings, years of roaming paramilitary forces, decades of ramifications, all of which are better than the alternative.

Given that the USA wasn't the only nation negotiating with Iran it's only the responsibility of Iran to create a deal agreeable to the negotiating nations. The heads of the P5+1 countries approved the deal/framework, so Iran did everything right.

Should Congress sabotage the deal it will rightfully be considered the fault of the USA, not Iran. The sanctions of the other countries will be lifted, and any military action will be seen as an illegal preventive war. You are delusional if you think that the USA will engage in a bombing campaign several months long. And it's not like Congress can force Obama to bomb Iran.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cerebral Bore posted:

Eh, it's not like anyone in Yemen had much of an incentive to start lobbing scuds into Saudi Arabia in the first place. If the Saudis are ging to experience any blowback from their little misadventure, i'd say that pissed off Yemenis making some sort of terrorist attack would be a bigger threat than anybody trying to hit anything valuable in Saudi Arabia with a scud. Most of the country is just desert, after all.

Well, like many other ventures, success and failure in war is defined by whether a party achieves their political-strategic goals or not. In the case of Iraq the whole venture was doomed from the get-go because the stated goals that Bush et al. set were unfeasible, contradictory and ever shifting, which essentially make them more or less impossible to achieve in the first place. Hell, for an example in the "more" column, back when the war was about destroying Saddam's WMD program, the goal was literally impossible because it didn't exist in the first place. When the goal suddenly shifted to spreading freedom and democracy it became a bit less impossible, but still impossible. You point out Japan and West Germany, but in both cases the US had ground down their will to resist for years, and also either had complete control of external borders in the case of Japan or had the occupied country surrounded by allies in the case of Germany. It becomes much harder when you have someplace like Iran who are able and willing to make life difficult for you, and also dudes like Al-Qaeda jumping the border like no tomorrow on top of a homegrown insurgency to fight. Finally WW2 was a total war. Therefore the US was able and willing to expend almost any effort to win, which naturally isn's necessarily when you're loving off on a war of choice. Things like instating a draft and making GBS threads out war materiel as fast as the factories could make them, which was trivial in WW2, were impossible during Iraq (except in deluded rightwing fantasies). Before someone starts nitpicking here, I'm not saying that a draft or something would somehow have been necessary or desirable, but rather that political factors at home naturally constrain what you can do when at war, and thus also which goals are achievable and which are not.

The second big thing was that the kind of people who would go invading some country halfway across the world on a lark aren't the kind of people who'd be capable of setting realistic goals in the first place. If you're positing that the US could have done better with better goals, you also need to remove people like, say, Wolfowitz from the equation and that's already starting to get ridiculously counterfactual. After all, you go to war with the government you have, not the government you want.

So basically a combination of shifting short-term and unclear goals and no realistic ways to achieve them with the effort the US was able and willing to invest caused the US to lose. This is pretty much why the Vietnam comparison is so apt, because it's the exact same phenomenon. Hell, in both cases, the only arguable goal which was ever reached was looting as much money as possible by the administration's buddies in big biz.

Please don't repost Hollywood propaganda by pretending as if the US was the lone, or even most important party in the victory over Nazi Germany.

If the US had recognized that post-Saddam Iraq would inevitably be dominated by Shiites, and had worked with the Iraqi Shiites and Iran to create a system where the Iraqi Sunnites had a protected place in post-war Iraq, it could have ended much better.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Hitting tourism in Tunisia again is a strategically smart choice. While Tunisia came out of the Arab Spring better than any other "affected" country, their economy is still quite weak. If ISIS can scare the tourists away, the country will face more economic hardship, could destabilize and provide fertile grounds for recruiting by the terrorists.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Count Roland posted:

I think this has been the main driving force for a deal, especially from Europe.

Iran is an untapped market, filled with educated, tech savvy middle class peeps. They need cars and iPhones and Nike shoes and all that poo poo. Heavy industry from Germany, the US and probably France are keen to get back into Iran; they dealt very profitably before the revolution.

And obviously Iran's energy sector should be ripe; they don't even have the capacity to refine their own oil!

I also think this is why the US congress will not be that big a hurdle; there are some huge companies that want this deal to succeed.

A problem will be Iran's Revolutionary Guards. They have a huge military industrial complex going, they own huge sections of the economy, and profited massively from smuggling under sanctions. They stand to lose and lose very big from this deal, and as the most powerful military force in the country and answerable directly to Khamenei, they could make a great deal of trouble.

Europeans salivate at the idea of developing alternate sources of energy, to become less dependent on Russian oil and gas.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Also, the more the PKK engage in terrorism in Turkey, the higher his chances to succeed with either banning the HDP, or making them unpopular enough that they fail to clear the 10% hurdle in the soon-to-be called next elections.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

fade5 posted:

We are literally Elijah, no divine intervention required, unless you consider JDAMs to be "divine".:v:

"Sex slaves"
Graph with age bar showing 1-9
"Children between 1 and 9 includes boys"
:gonk:

More fire from heaven straight on ISIL's heads please.
:suicide:

How does this square with the general homophobia of extremist Islamist groups?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

My Imaginary GF posted:

Nor was it as if the allies just waltz'd into Germany; they made the Germans, no matter where they lived, know they were defeated through a non-halfassed measures like the strategic air campaign.

One should also note that Nazi Germany actually started an illegal war of aggressive expansion, the Nazis were actually evil (Holocaust), and they did the total war thing first. As a German, I would say that the Allies leveling half of Germany was actually just.

On the other hand, the USA started an illegal war of aggression against Iraq without any acceptable justifications. Additionally, one of the phony reasons put forward was that they were "merely" targeting the Saddam government, that they were only after regime change and that they were liberating the Iraqi people. It would hardly be appropriate to do that by waging total war against them, right?

Also, it can't be overstated how much the Western allies profited from having the hated communists occupy the eastern half of Germany in the aftermath of the war.

• Locked thread