Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Pickled Kittens posted:

Go ahead - pull up any news site, whether local, national, international, and check what the headline story is. On the off chance that the main story is actually about what is happening in Libya (or any country in the middle east), try and find where in the article they explain why it is happening, or even why it is important.

I think it is simply a pipe dream to imagine that the general public knows, or more importantly, cares about the protests.

E: Emphasis on why and how, not what.

http://www.nytimes.com/

It doesn't go into specifics about why it's important, but I'd imagine that could be a pretty lengthy article. I'm just happy it made the lead article. In case it changes sooner than later.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/22/world/africa/22libya.html?hp

I'm not saying that 'OH Hay, Everybody knows and cares about this" I'm saying, that it's there if people are interested. I do wish it was getting more attention though. It deserves more.
I'm in favor of controlling air space with just these. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MQ-9_Reaper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Nuclear Spoon posted:

For anyone who didn't see the YouTube video I posted earlier, it's been put on Facebook apparently.

:siren:WARNING: hosed UP poo poo:siren:
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=203209353028633&oid=197898230226131&comments&ref=mf

gently caress this. gently caress all of it.

I'm not going to watch unnecessary dismembered arms, legs, or brains. Is there any relevant content? ie. helicopter shown firing or something to give more solid evidence of the events as they happen instead of just. 'Dead People!!' The lack of reporters there is annoying.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

I'd say bodies are pretty loving relevant to the assertion that there's a mass murder going on, especially with the types of damage inflicted upon them.

They're definitely part of the equation. Unfortunately people die all the time without being killed by the Libyan armed forces. I'm not saying they're innocent, but I'm not going to assume every picture of a severed foot, exploded head, or bloody brownish person is in Libya and shot by their government. For me, a picture of them attempting to shoot people is more damning than a person who has been shot.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Pipski posted:

I'll have a quick word with the protesters and ask them to get some pictures of people attempting to shoot them.

I think it would go a long way toward supporting their cause. You can start with that guys friend in Libya.

schadenfraud posted:

A friend of mine just posted this on his Facebook

"Criminal 30 mins ago he sent his mercenaries to our town which is just 20 min east tripoli they killed anyone in streets they shot a women in the head because she was in her balcony please it’s literal massacre etc..."

:cry:

My flags for viral propaganda marketing went up when I read that message. That being said, I hope the citizens kick much rear end.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Just to confirm, there's no chance that he will volunteer to step down, right?

I think he's eliminated that option for himself. I think he went all in with the violence. He saw Egypt and Ivory Coast not attack the protesters completely and those leaders fell. He sees Iran fixing problems with violence and probably decided that was his best bet to end the rebellion and maintain power. Turns out, he was wrong and the people just got more angry about it, much like I think the people of Egypt would have done had Mubarak had enough control to make the military shoot civilians. Now that the violence in large scale has begun, I don't think they people will quit until he is dead. Even if he goes to another country, I think someone in that country is probably going to find him.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.
When I saw this

Nckdictator posted:

I immediately thought about this.

http://static.manolith.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/starmax219799-rourke-8010509dpaad-mickey-rourke-1.jpg

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Scorchy posted:

Glenn Beck probably. Seriously.

I'm pretty sure Iran was announcing the protests/revolt in Egypt was an "Islamic" movement/revolt/uprising. These two entities together in this endeavor makes me curious in a way I've not thought about previously.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Slantedfloors posted:

Glenn Beck's official position is that these riots are caused by an alliance of the savage Caliphate-seeking Musselman horde, the Shadowy (totally not Jewish) Cabal of International Bankers led by George Soros (Nazi Jew), and the ever-present Neo-Soviet Communists in an attempt to overthrow friendly dictatorships and DESTROY AMERICA!!!!!!@!

I hope your serious because this is loving awesome. You or whomever wrote that should write speeches used to confuse people. It a fun word puzzle!

SauceNinja fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 22, 2011

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Gravy Jones posted:

He's actually not insane and it's all just a big distraction to keep the world's eyes on him while.... well some kind of evil James Bond villain scheme I guess. Maybe deploying a giant plane crushing fist.

Either way, we're all falling for it.

This is what I was thinking. Until recently, he's been a pretty good/big game player and as a recognized terrorist AND country ruler, managed to stay alive and in power while making money for a pretty long time. I'm amazed by this alone. I'm sure everyone has their breaking point where they just check out and roll down to crazy town, but I would think someone living his life, that threshold would have to be far greater than I can even imagine. I feel like it's important to not underestimate him and maybe he's putting the focus on him so we stop focusing on what we should be watching. In summation I've filed his speech into my mental file of 1.) Crazy or 2.) Wants us to think he's crazy. That fist/plane statue is so hardcore.

I also think it's both hilarious and sad the entire world is watching him come completely unglued without intervening. I think the US gov't is rolling with this strategy: "Nice speech Crazypants. This should work itself out soon....I hope."

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Jut posted:

Mubarak and CQ are two different breeds of dictator. I think towards the end Mubarak was just looking for a way to leave government while still saving face.

I think Mubarak was a better chess player even if he wasn't as bold.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Yaos posted:

Here's a video from the 20th in Iran. It looks like a tiny protest, but they just keep coming. No blood or gore.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0c5_1298232736

I was thinking nothing was happening in Iran, but now I remember that when everybody was focusing on Egypt nothing was coming out of Libya until Egypt finished the revolt.

Edit: Iraq appears to be revolting, but little information is out about it. In the only two video I could find on Liveleak, they are not making mention of the US and only the current government even though the US still occupies the country. We'll find out more on the day of Iraqi rage I suppose. It seems odd they are only protesting the government, but not the occupying force that installed it.

I find this very significant. That's a pretty chaotic atmosphere. I'm in awe.

edit: The audio makes it terrifying. (Not a xenophobe. I think it's the tone.)

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.
CNBC just announced that there is some evidence that he's preparing to flee. I'm not sure what this evidence is.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

thunderspanks posted:

If I was a deposed maniac looking for a relatively safe place to spend the rest of my life I too would probably have my eye on an impotent international organization who will do nothing but write strongly worded letters condemning my actions. Forget public execution, give me the wishy-washy talking heads.

If he is planning to flee, he has JUST come to terms with the idea that he is not likely to win when the vast majority of those of us following the events, have mostly been just :munch: :toot: :wth: :munch: waiting for him to wake up. Do you think he has also factored in the idea that the UN is probably one of, if not the, safest place for him to go? My money is on "I've done a lot of favors for people. I'll cash in a favor, no biggie." I would love to hear him say
:gonk:"(insert foreign dictator) isn't returning my calls."

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.
A plane I was watching on that site http://www.flightradar24.com/ just vanished heading directly for Libya. I don't think it was downed or anything. I just thought it was loving weird. It wasn't a smaller plane either.
Syr1119 is heading there too. This is totally fascinating.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Jack Napier posted:

Is flightradar usually this glitchy or is this for real?

My MSR1031 (or something) was an Egyptian Air I think. I just went to double check and it had vanished too. :tinfoil:

edit: nocallsign_4BA9C9 just showed up. I think it's the larger one from before. It has seemingly turned back but there is definitely a cut off point heading toward Tripoli.

edit2: nocallsign_4BA9C9 just became THYTHY39 #Airline: Turkish Airlines #Aircraft: Airbus A330-343E (A333)

edit3: The vanished Egypt craft now having turned back. MSR830 *Airline: Egyptair (Star Alliance livery) *Aircraft: Airbus A330-243 (A332)

SauceNinja fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 25, 2011

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Settepotet posted:

Airliner from Paris inbound to Tripoli. AAW901. And from London. AAW913.

#Altitude: 11825 ft (3604 m) It vanished for me but since I had it selected, it's still giving me readings.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Alman posted:

Watching this FlightRadar thing following those two airbusses flying into Tripoli is like watching Inception

It is pretty weird. Especially since AAW901 is now

#Airline: Afriqiyah Airways
#Flightnr: 8U901
#From: Paris Charles De Gaulle (CDG)
#To: Tripoli Tripoli (TIP)
#Aircraft: Airbus A320-232 (A320)

And it spawned from Malta.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

TheDamien posted:

Like the guy on the last page said, if the receiver is on malta and the plane's transmitter only has 250k ish range, then we'll lose contact as it descends to libya. I'm guessing there are no receivers in libya that that site gets info from.

I was wondering if they're using the internets to transmit data. If the internet is locked down in the country, the datastream may be interrupted. This is purely a guess though.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Sivias posted:

I really hope the events happening in Tripoli today and tonight are being documented. When this is all over, I think we're going to be sickened by the small amount of video that was taken of the entire event.
It's crazy to think about all the things we are seeing (which isn't much), compared to all the stuff that is actually happening.
So much death and pain.

I'm imagining the map from a few pages ago only with little fat arrows showing the directions of movements. All the Protester/Rebel flags have red arrows pointing in the direction of Tripoli from all sides. Then there's the green flag just sitting in Tripoli.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I like to think of it like this, the Revolution DEFCON:

Annihilated (Revolution successful): Egypt
Defcon 1 (No turning back): Libya, Tunisia
Defcon 2 (In revolt): Bahrain, Yemen
Defcon 3 (potential for revolt): Algeria
Defcon 4 (low chance of revolt): Iran, Iraq
Defcon 5 (extremely low chance of revolt): Saudi Arabia, China etc.

I'm sure I've missed a few countries.

This is how we should measure the situation. A comprehensive stability scale.

North Korea? Other African Nations? Wisconsin?

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

smn posted:

Gaddafi High-ball? More in line stylistically with Molotovs, and he sounds like he's had a few too many of those.

Muammar Mixer
Gadaffi's Balls
loving a Tyrant
Absolut Absolutist
Playing Ball with the Mad Dog of the Middle East
A Friendly Game of Tennis with the Brotherly Leader
Saluting the Colonel
A Libyan Serve

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Maybe I don't understand mercenaries very well, but why would they take a side that will almost certainly get slaughtered indiscriminately by an angry mob, heavily armed and fed up with 40 years of oppression? What money is worth that?

I'm betting the vast majority of them have taken the money and are convinced they'll A) win because they have guns or B) blend into the crowd when poo poo gets chaotic and try to make their escape. Element B is going to have a significantly terrible effect on the the number of people in group A because people are sheep, even if they have guns.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, so their plan for getting out is to blend into the crowd, that's the part I didn't get. I was thinking "How are they gonna get out of the country once the protesters have taken over the airports and roads and stuff?"

Desperate people are pretty opportunistic. "So this guy wants to give me money to kill these people. These people want to kill this guy and celebrate. Why don't I....take the money, let them kill him, and celebrate!!"

or as stated, there's a pretty decent chance they're believing the rich guy signing the checks. The rich guy has a LOT of wool he's pulling over their eyes.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Apology posted:

Have sanctions ever worked anywhere at any time? All sanctions will accomplish is making the little people suffer more. I suppose that at least it gives the semblance of support, but it seems to me it's as effective as lecturing your dog on how immoral it is for him to piddle on the carpet.

Define "worked." It is an effective bargaining tool.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.
They should spread the phones out and use a secret twitter channel twitter to coordinate attacks on Tripoli. That would be awesome.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

redscare posted:

Again, what was he supposed to do that wouldn't involve him or his family getting shot

Resign? Find another occupation? Sell hotdogs? Suck cock? I don't care what he would do. I think it's important to note the implications of what he DID do.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Brown Moses posted:

For monitoring Twitter

On the right side. Retweets: Don't Show

I can now follow this as a source of information.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

rolleyes posted:

Think along the lines of what happened to the native Americans when the Europeans rolled up.

We will be their new gods!

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

The Angry Bum posted:

Oh great, looks like Obama is ready to start yet another illegal, non-sanctioned war. Moving your naval forces around to 'prepare for anything' could be interpreted as an act of hostility.

I might just be an US nationalist, but I don't make this connection. I view it as "If the consensus determines that US should give air support for a no fly zone, we'll be ready."

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Their Translation posted:

Crowd: We’ll teach them! We’ll get it back! We’ll reclaim it back!

That implies that 'it', I assume Libya, has been lost. At least not all of them are blind.

Those guys are not in an enviable position. Poor dumdums.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Paddyo posted:

Think of all the hilarious YouTube videos that could result from a bunch of college kids trying to figure out the workings of a MBT by trial and error. In all seriousness, it doesn't matter a lick. Without training any complex weapons systems that fell into the opposition's hands are going to do more harm then good. Makes me wonder what happened to all of those military units that have supposedly defected. Sounds more like they're throwing their stuff away and going home than preparing to actively participate. It doesn't sound like there is any cohesion and certainly no command and control.

So 300 guys is more effective than 297 guys and 3 guys in a tank they don't know how to shoot stuff with? They might be ineffective but I don't think it'll do more harm than good. I'd prefer to have the tank on my side, if for nothing else, than to absorb bullets that would otherwise be flying through my face. I do want to see those youtube videos made. It's not as much about a show of threatening force as much as a show of "We gots your tanks. What Now! What!"

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Sivias posted:

Well, it isn't just for America.
What a lot of people don't really understand about oil is that every drop of oil that get's pumped out of the earth goes to the world market. (Which is why 'drill baby drill' for oil independence is a complete loving lie. gently caress you Palin.)
Every drop of oil we would pump out of ANWR province in Alaska would go to the world market.
It's very convenient if you're an oil man (Cheney and Halliburton, and Bush who couldn't even run his own oil company.) as well as war being a very profitable venture. (See: Eisenhower on the Industrial Military Complex)

Doesn't the vast majority of every resource on earth pretty much go to the world market? I want a solar powered flying car and that's never going to happen so long as there's oil in the ground. I'm in favor of drilling.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Sivias posted:

You clearly have very little understanding about the level of influence oil has on the structure of the human civilization.
You clearly are a presumptuous, condescending, fortune-telling, and nay-saying prick.

Sivias posted:

The level of human suffering that will occur when our oil runs out will be like that our species has never seen.

Maybe if it just up and vanished. But it won't. It'll slowly disappear as we ramp up technologies we can use as substitutes. There may be a decline in population, growth, food, and wealth until we can find a sustainable equilibrium between people and renewable resources but that doesn't mean we're going to be reduced to a primitive world as a whole.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Slantedfloors posted:

Am I the only one who enjoys how non-sensical the conspiracies the dictators churn out are?

"American backed foreign Al-Queda fighters are working with Al-Jazeera to create a breakaway Islamist Emirate, enabled by machinations of Israel!"

What the gently caress man? There's like six differing ideologies in that loving thing.

"American backed foreign Al-Queda fighters" - US gave them a bunch of guns in the 80's no?
"are working with Al-Jazeera" - Well, they're against us, so they must be together.
"to create a breakaway Islamist Emirate" - I'm not even sure what this means. I'm studying more about it.
"enabled by the machinations of Israel!" - Hate those guys. Thorn in our sides. Also the friend of my enemy is my enemy.

I fully understand I'm trying to really get into the minds of the crazy because when I read it before breaking it down, it's complete bullshit. Unfortunately the logic doesn't really work out well.

Chickens can reproduce.
Cows can reproduce.
I eat cows and chickens.
I would love to eat the offspring of a cow and chicken.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

UltraShame posted:

"we don't want foreign money" stuff

So I just want to be clear on this. They want help for this kind of thing but they don't want your help because you're a dirty foreigner? So you subvert their narrow mindedness by covertly giving to them. That's hilarious, not to mention, very big of you. I wish I could say I was as altruistic but I think I'd feel like I'd be promoting idiocy instead of helping hungry children.

edit: Did anyone see this?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/gallery/2011/mar/02/libya-gaddafi-speech-book-burning#/?picture=372261030&index=12

I loving surrender.

SauceNinja fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 3, 2011

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Earwicker posted:

Yes you see Al Queda somehow convinced half the Libyan populace to take 6000 sleeping pills each and then, while they were asleep and half dead, attacked them with dream magick turning them into Islamist zombies controlled by the western media.

These drugs can't exist unless he's had this :catdrugs: strategy for quite some time. Who would send him 740,000 pounds of sedatives? That is a pretty wild plan though. How are we going to put down this revolution? Sedatives. Lots and Lots of sedatives. Water supply? Foods? Powder them and crop dust the protesters? And if all that doesn't work, we'll declare they're on crazy druggies. With Luke on one side and Sideous on the other. I think this plan falls into the Dooku range. Every time I see the word rebels, I think of X-wings and snow-speeders.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

God knows I was wondering but I figured I'd leave it to someone wittier than I am to bring it up.

I thought it was an all too fitting carnation. A pink carnation seems to fit perfectly with the situation in that country.

SauceNinja fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.
The guy that started this site was just on CNBC.
http://www.intrade.com/v4/home/
I haven't seen it before...and it blew my mind.

• Locked thread