Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

Phlegmish posted:

What does the hand symbol stand for?

I originally thought it was something to do with another group named the Black Hand. Cause they're always good for making things worse for the area. But it turns out it's just another V-sign to show solidarity with protestors who support Morsi (And now Erdogan, I guess) at the very least. Anything more than that, I'm not sure.

Lead Psychiatry fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

NSDD-166 of 1985 gave the CIA go ahead to act independently without any Pakistani ISI thought on the matter. Though if I remember what was said in Charlie Wilson's War, they weren't directly involved with too many Afghans. But they did supply better communications equipment, weaponry and even satellite reconnaissance to Mujahideen.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Count Roland posted:

edit: they also have ethnic head gear:

Can ya provide more info on these guys so I don't walk around referring to them as either Danderanians or the Gary Spivey Brigade?

Nevermind. Found out. Turkmen volunteers for the Basij.

Lead Psychiatry fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 29, 2014

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Muscle Tracer posted:

There was a good story in NPR today about a similar phenomenon involving prediction.

That is all kinds of crazy and awesome and...sad. To think the U.S. gov't is tossing billions towards various agencies and being outclassed by a bunch of people using simple web searches whose only harm in the process probably involves where their coffee is coming from.

Then again, the CIA is notoriously lovely when it comes to human intelligence and such. Don't know how the DIA would stack up or the other gov't and private agencies. I'm really curious how other intel services in other countries compare to the project.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Not so much the statistics for individuals that wowed me as it was the "wisdom of the group" aspect of the project. It ended up reminding me I never bothered to read the Nate Silver book or really into anything behind the aggregation of data. Which I really should try and get to within the next month cause that NPR piece left me with all sorts of questions.

Actually, would Signal and The Noise be an appropriate read for this sort of thing or is it off the mark?

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

MothraAttack posted:

Hersh also says Israel has been mum on the attacks, when in fact its intel minister blamed the rebels on August 22.

What? I admit I may have missed something, but I recall Israel being not too shy blaming chemical attacks on Assad for roughly a month before the August 21st attack.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

This is good for a quick read on the variants. And this is good to see which variant is still in service with which country, if you scroll down to the Status section.

And a picture of the family.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

First off, why would the UK just willingly accept a sample from Russian intelligence knowing how cozy they are with Assad?

Second, when did the UK reverse their position? Have they rescinded blame previously or is Hersh the first to make this claim?

Also is it common for other countries to just know the exact composition of another country's chemical weapons despite apparently it not being well known if that country even has a chemical weapon supply? And if that's the case shouldn't Hersh have at least asked about when Porton Down got the first sample to compare the Russian Intel Officer's sample against (To make sure it was within the degradation period is what I'm asking here)?

Lead Psychiatry fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 11, 2014

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I go one step further and ask what exactly is stopping the U.S. or France from just coming out and supporting Assad if it's the rebels using the chemical weapons. If Russia is so keen on proving it's not the Syrian Gov't using them, wouldn't they feel even more emboldened in their fight with Western support behind them?

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

And yet the U.S. had no problem sending people to Syria to get tortured and using that repressive regime for its own aims. And Syrian intelligence have given warnings about potential attacks in the past. So it's not like any degree of cooperation would be some breath of fresh air.

Not to mention the huge amount of face saving it'd have given Obama after that whole Red Line declaration.

Even without actively supporting Assad, simply not blaming him for the chemical attacks would say quite a bit about this false flag claim that's becoming all the rage. Yet the U.S. still holds the belief Assad's forces were responsible.

Lead Psychiatry fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 14, 2014

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Rosscifer posted:

Yes and the US armed the Contras so they're definitely going to arm Hezbollah next. :ughh:

You should email the Whitehouse some links to the opinion pieces that are "all the rage." It would be awful if they had to rely on intelligence agencies or detailed analysis of trajectories, soil samples and all the footage of Assad/Hezbollah using identical looking munitions that Brown Moses put together.

Calm, Sparky. I'm not arguing that the Rebels actually used the chemical weapons. I'm arguing against the False Flag claims. As in I have not only asked why the Rebels won't gas Assad's troops (As Mans has said), I go one step further and also ask why the very countries who blame Assad's forces for the CW attacks don't just blame the Rebels or specific groups. Allowing Obama to back out of the Red Line comment without losing face and coming off as a coward and providing support and not necessarily of the armed or any kind of material variety since they have an interest in not seeing these groups succeed in any way.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

Back out? If there was the slightest shred of evidence that terrorist groups had chemical weapons, there would be way more of a push to intervene. In terms of international relations, nobody really cares if a state actor gasses people as long as they keep it inside their own borders and don't get caughf killing any citizens of Western countries. Assad isn't going to be setting off satin bombs in London or anything. If the rebels had chemical weapons, though, that would be a huge loving deal that couldn't possibly be allowed to go without reprisal, especially since some of them are regional terrorist militias with only tenous ties to Syria and the possibility of expanding to other countries or operations. The US cannot tolerate independent Islamist forces with terrorist roots possessing chemical weapons, and I'd wager Europe wouldn't either. Assad is harmless to the West; the rebels potentially aren't.

I agree with what you're saying, I just don't know if it'd really have much of an impact in reality. The American people are tired of war and hearing a rehash of the "They have ___ weapons! We must act!" likely won't get much support, evidence or no. Cause, well, false flag claims either way. Which is why I bring up the whole support Assad in my theoretical scenario. Don't have to give him high tech weaponry (Israel would bitch even if the Syrian gov't could use them for whatever legitimate reason), Russia can continue supplying small arms, U.S. supplies intel or the same kind of non-lethal aid the Rebels got before the chemical attacks. Also slap Assad on the back and do a paraphrase of the "fight them there instead of here" bit.

Or again, just not blame him IF his forces were in fact not responsible for the CW attacks.

Lead Psychiatry fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 14, 2014

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Brown Moses posted:

More TOWs in Syria

The Hughes Aircraft Company stopped producing TOWs around the turn of the millennium. After which Raytheon started up their own line and made improvements beginning with the top-down attack variant that also had improved range.

Maybe that explains the premature detonation in the video posted earlier. Thinking they were in range without realizing they had an earlier TOW?

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Has there been any more information released about these barrels? If they're specifically for bombing or if they've been jury rigged to go off on impact? Or perhaps any kind of paper trail proving Syria have made purchases from Norinco that would further the case against Assad? Also other questions that have answers that would further dispel theories that it was the rebels bombing themselves.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Probably a truck bomb similar to those from earlier in the conflict (For example). I really hope the area has been cleared of civilians cause I shudder thinking of the collateral damage that caused.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

If he's going to die it looks like it'd be more because of that nasty leg wound. I think the only reason he didn't bleed out is cause it looks like the popliteal artery is possibly still intact. The facial trauma looks like it only took off the nose, and maybe destroyed the eyes and sockets but can't really tell.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I'm reading from Presstv and Dailystar.lb it was a naval mine in their backyard in the northernmost district. If that's the case I think they don't come with the same issues as with ground based mines as long as they're not put on shipping lanes.

Also I thought those things weighed hundreds of pounds.

Lead Psychiatry fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 23, 2014

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

That's the fifth building in a month, no? Or thereabouts. Kind of surprised it is still happening even though the pace of the sapping is increasing. Give your troops some stethoscopes and listen to the floor in the ground floor of your base/barracks/post/whatever already.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I don't think old cities are as criss crossed with tunnels as you'd think. Especially as time goes on and the city expands. Certainly tunnels will exist but not at all likely they'll take you to the exact spots or even blocks you're looking for, so some tunneling would have to be done to go through with these operations. And I don't think some of these groups care to be imprecise since it'll end up wasting a lot of time, effort, and explosives to kill whoever instead of gov't troops.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that soon there'll be an underground war that'll bring up a whole bunch of WH40K comparisons.

Don't know if this was posted two months ago or more recently and I just happened to miss it, but here's some dudes having fun in a tunnel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iny_uVNz30Q

Edit: I'm seeing that Syria actually has a pretty good water supply system so they possibly just tunneled a side passage a few dozen yards off an established channel and then made boom.

Lead Psychiatry fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 8, 2014

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Curious, what is the average Iranian and/or Shiite's view on the Muslim Brotherhood? I figured they'd be at odds most of the time (Without even considering their history in Syria), but with the crackdown in Egypt, I realized I really don't have a clue at all.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

The attack on baqubah has been repelled by the Iraqi military, I definitely think at this point we've seen the end of what ISIS can do.

Sounds more like they were probing defenses and reactions than the real deal, going by the time between your last two posts. Have to wait to see if there is a follow up.

Is there any detailed info on the previous battles/takeovers of Mosul and Tikrit?

Lead Psychiatry fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jun 17, 2014

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

illrepute posted:

Don't tell me for a second you aren't loving the image of a Cessna packing a rack of hellfires.

Only one per wing, actually.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

HGH posted:

As a local resident, they've lost a lot of their political clout I'd say. Not nearly as unanimously followed as before.

Can you elaborate? Are they getting more poo poo from other Shia like Amal than usual? Or just strictly more sectarian divide ramped up to 11?

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Maybe I missed it, I only browsed the last few pages.

Iranian Revolutionary Guards launch recruitment campaign in preparation for war against Iraqi Kurdistan

So far not much if anything in the way of corroboration and a whole whopping one source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Was pretty much the source that led me to just posting it. It's a possibility, though how likely to occur is still up in the air, since Iran have been voicing opposition to Iraqi Kurdish independence for a few weeks now. So if anyone is in a position to hear and see efforts of recruiting and be concerned about having to fight fellow Kurds, well...

Still two months to see how this plays out. For all we know it's just a reactionary piece and at best Iranian officials are only just trying to drive opinion, not recruit a force.

• Locked thread