Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
All these people still out there despite having some of the most threatening dictators in the world willing to attack them... this whole series of events is something truly once in a lifetime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
People are trying to organize in China now. It's going to be pretty hard there with the internet issues.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41678825/ns/world_news-asiapacific/

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
I hope Obama's administration has been on the phones all day putting whatever pressure they can to mitigate violence. As little a thing as it is to do, it's better than nothing.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

ganglysumbia posted:

Libya is out of control, flat out massacres...

I thought the Libyan military was not very loyal to Gaddafi. Why is a Egypt type scenario not playing out with the Army preventing a slaughter?

He's flown in mercenaries. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/babylonbeyond/2011/02/libya-protests-2.html

I don't know how the protesters are going to keep dealing with that... it's a really bad scenario to say the least.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

Sivias posted:

And in China, how easy is it for citizens to get outside information (I.E. Al Jazeera, etc.)?

China is extremely filtered as far as the internet and so on, but it really comes down to will the people there band together? Who knows. The courage is spreading, but it takes that commitment of the first people getting out on the streets and some dying. Maybe the Chinese are actually satiated enough by their booming economy to not want to do that. It's pretty hard to understand from our Western vantage point which other countries will change exactly.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

Brown Moses posted:

His son is giving a live speech right this second.

Yeah on state television giving the usual crony lines about regrettable accidents from the army and that kind of thing.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

Kane posted:

What are the chances of anyone actually intervening at this point?

None. These revolutions are all up to the people. Geopolitics are completely selfish and inhumane and that isn't changing any time soon.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

Brown Moses posted:

Ban Ki-Moon has said attacks on protesters using aircraft "would constitute a serious violation of international humanitarian law". Hopefully that'll make at least some members of the military think twice before breaking international law.

I hate to be hard on the UN because they mean well (not even going to touch the Glenn Beck crowd conspiracies there) but they're useless.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
gently caress Gaddafi. I don't know what else to say about Libya at this point.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
Wow, Gaddafi is creepy. This must have been what Hitler would have been like in his final moments.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
He really hates big beards.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
I can't tell if the camera guy is trying to give away his location when he zooms out and shows other stuff? That would be amazing.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

Znorps! posted:

I'm at the airport and can barely hear what he's saying. Can anyone give a transcript or summary of what he's saying?

It's very hard to follow because the translators voice kind of blends with his. Basically just super angry rants against everyone else in the world and the protesters though.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Is he actually that drat incoherent or is AJ trying to make him look even loonier by hiring the worst translator they could find?

I don't know the language but I can tell this is a guy drat near in hysterics.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

Petey posted:

I know we were all transfixed by that trainwreck but did anyone ever find a bigger version of this pic?

Slighty bigger and clearer: http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/infocus/egyptchange021011/e45_11015307.jpg

but even bigger would be cool.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
MS/NBC's Richard Engel is actually in Libya reporting now. Hope he stays safe.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

Spiderfist Island posted:

Unlike Somalia, it seems that the people of Libya have found their identity in the country. An identity opposed to him.

I'd have to agree. Libya full on caught the revolution bug. These are not times to gently caress around as a dictator but to get on a plane and plan your new life.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

XCPuff posted:

Wonder how many more will be dead by the time Clinton travels to Geneva on Monday. Glad to see we're really on the ball with all of this.

The US being on the ball would be bombing more civilians than Gaddafi has and being a recruiting commercial for Al Queda, sadly. Doing nothing is a step up.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
I would assume mercs are really not that well trained in vehicles like jets and tanks, if at all, so every real soldier defection is really putting this closer to the end. If the defector army pushes through fast, it could be over in days.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

VikingSkull posted:

The mercenaries might be sub par idiots working for peanuts, but they might also be combat vets of numerous African civil wars familiar with all kinds of heavy weaponry.

Well it depends who these people are. The fact that they had to be flown in really doesn't bode well for their organized training to defend Libya. It seems like they're just there to shoot innocent people and hope the fear level crushes the revolution.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
Yeah all his children lived decadent lives off it too. Only Saif seemed like a decent guy who was educated abroad and tried to bring some humanity to the country. Of course then he's made to give the first speech about rivers of blood and all that... I wonder how things will work out for him.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
Stock gets sold off on the slightest rumor all the time, it really means nothing yet.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
It's nice to see Benghazi is happy as hell right now, like Egypt was:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgP0Gro52c8

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
Man. I hope they're at least using self-defense against the mercenaries, preferably with bullets.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

cioxx posted:

Yeah.

But this is the best site for monitoring twitter, for those who don't know.

http://twitterfall.com/

Just plug in #tripoli and watch the stream come through.

That's pretty crazy. I've never liked twitter but I have to say for these purposes it's fascinating.

Also sounds like there's going to be a lot of reinforcement arriving in Tripoli today. It would be amazing if they take the city in one day.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

VikingSkull posted:

Let's try and focus on the realistic solutions the international community can engage in instead of cheerleading another rushed, ill-advised war, ok everyone?

Well I think many of things needed are excruciatingly obvious: as many medical personal and supplies as possible, as free and protected press as possible, and protection for peaceful protesters.

What this situation has really exposed is the international "community" doesn't exist to provide those things. The UN is a philosophy club that gets together to scold the bad things in the world, but its capacities to take action aren't real.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
Some twitter reports of civilians being bombed in Libya now.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

Brown Moses posted:

Gaddifi's grip on Tripoli is slipping:

Any news where the bombing is taking place?

No it just comes up on the twitterfall saying Al-Jazeera reported it, and reports of loud military helicopters and planes also were there the same time. No confirmation anywhere.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

rolleyes posted:

They really are conditioned to believe that their country represents the peak of civilization.

It's kind of irrelevant though, there's people in every culture that will see through the lies. I think the bigger problem is how does a revolution communicate in a place like NK or China?

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
I wonder if any countries actually have laws about giving back any of the assets to the Libyans, besides the Swiss?

Brown Moses posted:

Gaddafi is doing a terrible job at taking back cities.

Well, like it seemed from the beginning he has virtually no real army right now and somehow thought he'd make a stand with a bunch of rabble. He's insane.

Spiky Ooze fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 28, 2011

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
Yeah, so you know how the UN is looking at war crimes... The US added a clause that the mercenaries can't be punished for war crimes so that the US doesn't have to be worried about being punished for war crimes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...war-crimes.html

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
Sounds like all Gaddafi has left are random, poorly skilled people he's thrown money and guns at. They suck at recapturing anything. I'm just surprised they don't desert him but maybe they're just playing him like a fool to get paid a bunch of times and mostly run around shooting at the air.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
Maybe someone should deliver a list of advice from all us old crappy democracies to these new ones. Stuff like: Have more than two parties, have short term limits on all government positions, and take conflict of interest seriously from day 1. Also, if you've got anything in your laws about giving anyone more legal immunity than anyone else because they're in the government, that's kind of sucked for the US.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

IRQ posted:

I do have to admire how successfully the UN has been painted by the GOP as completely useless or irrelevant regardless of a person's general political leanings.

If you lived in a non super power country that was in dire peril would you expect the UN to save you? I sure as hell wouldn't expect them to do much of anything. Sure they care, but they've stood by and watched so much poo poo go down over the years that it's to the point of no one having confidence in that way of helping people.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
House of Saud recruiting:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/saudis-mobilise-thousands-of-troops-to-quell-growing-revolt-2232928.html

The US is about to have to make a mother of a decision if things go bad there.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

ChuckHead posted:

I'm not buying that this covert British mission was some sort of diplomatic blunder. They showed up unannounced, wearing all black, with multiple passport identities, and initially denied having weapons.

They were probably hoping to trade the oil reserves of the nation for a chest of 80's VHS movies. Honestly, I don't think Libyans want anyone else's armed invasion force in there because it's just going to add to the problems of who's in control.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
Now that he's blowing up oil pipelines I'd be surprised if global intervention doesn't start happening.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

Tadhg posted:

:ohdear: That's horrifying; I wonder what kind of orders/structure those soldiers are working under that makes them believe that they're justified in their actions.

As we've seen from Abu Ghraib or the Stanford prison experiment, all you have to do is tell some of these grunts to terrify people and they will. Hell, a few people are hard wired to get a boner from this kind of thing, as sad a fact as that is.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

Warthog posted:

Is there some sort of independent unbiased US news source?

Yes, and they run stories about Linsey Lohan. Don't even bother with US news it's been corporately trashed to the point of being unrecognizable as news most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
So all the news pretty much sucks today? drat. What are the chances of Egypt getting their government together and lending military support to the revolutions. Someone has to do it or the spread of democracy has pretty much reached an end game of being suppressed by force.

• Locked thread