Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Love that video of the kid using the green flag to wipe down cars on AJE.

I hadn't been following the conflict that closely lately, but I was stunned after reading that the Nafusa group had annihilated regime resistance throughout the west, and then was equally stunned after they captured and actually held the cities & towns surrounding Tripoli.

I like how the NTC was saying they were settling in for a siege while simultaneously (maybe, unconfirmed) smuggling in weapons for a general uprising. I thought I misread the BBC article today when they were saying there was major combat inside the city. That's way more organization than I would have thought possible on the rebel side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Just heard about this. Burn in hell you shitheel.

I hope they capture Saif alive though (for real this time).

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Brown Moses posted:

This is apparently a new :nms: video of Gaddafi being all Weekend at Bernies
It's interesting how much I personally disliked Gaddafi, as I just watched that while eating, and expected it would bother me.

It did not. I'm probably some kind of monster.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

etalian posted:

Might as well have maintained the status quo instead of going into scary unknown territory.

If there's any chance a revolution against a brutal leader will have a painful recovery process it should even be attempted.

My boss is Israeli, so he didn't exactly share my enthusiasm when were talking about Gaddafi today. He's definitely pro-status quo. I tried to argue that security based on one man being able to strong-arm an entire population isn't really security (see: Egypt), but he wasn't having it. I didn't feel like pressing the point further given that he writes my checks. He did concede that a man who outright trained and supported terrorists (Black September/Lockerbie) is better off gone though.

Revolutions are messy, and it's hard to argue that a power vacuum and possible civil war is worthwhile in every situation. Still, dictatorship is bad for long-term stability, and all it will do in the end is create more radicals of any stripe.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 21, 2011

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

etalian posted:

It more because dicks such Mubarak made political agreements with Israel and once a revolution takes over there's no guarantee that past agreements will fly with the new populist government.

I agree that that's a huge (and worrying, given the attack on the embassy) part of it, but his reasoning was that "they don't understand democracy so they need a dictator to stomp on them" (his words).

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

de_dust2 posted:

Well backed by the western government and NATO, I would assume it was from them.

The ones that weren't looted from loyalist stockpiles were provided by Qatar. All of this is public record.

Edit: Oops, this thread moves quickly.
Edit2: Didn't know if this was posted yet, but looks like Iran and Turkey are cooperating on the Kurdistan raids:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15407142

future ghost fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

etalian posted:

Not to mention skimming billions of dollars every year to go on spending sprees along with his rotten progeny while a majority of his country suffered.

A family friend who works for a local production company was whining that they weren't going to get to do a regular show in Barbados this year. I asked him why not, and he said it's usually a Gaddafi event :psyduck: . Yeah, I don't think that's happening this time around.

• Locked thread