Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Ishamael posted:

That's what my wife says too, but I still don't want to "taunt" her with stuff she can't have.

If there were comments like "OH yeah boozin' it up- Sucks to be you" then I would probably feel taunted. I'm sure when we are in Mexico for our friend's wedding I will be mocked in such a manner but NBD. I'll be happy with a little baby in March and can have a nice glass of wine then.

If I was craving booze that would also be different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kbdragon
Jun 23, 2012

Funhilde posted:

If I was craving booze that would also be different.

And yep - that can totally happen. I only generally have 1-2 beers a week, and my first pregnancy the only thing I craved was an unfiltered wheat beer. The craving got so intense I finally made beer bread and ate it all over a few days.

As for drinking - definitely ask the lady about her preferences. I felt pretty taunted when people drank around me. Having hubby abstain made me not demand a sip of whatever he was imbibing.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

1up posted:

The only time I felt "taunted" during pregnancy was at the end when I was on a restricted carb diet due to GD. I cried hysterically once because all I wanted was a baked potato.

That's going to be me in like, 2 weeks. :(

I did my glucose tolerance test. They told me it was normal. Three days later I had my appointment with the midwife and, nope, someone misinterpreted my results. I'd like to know if it was the pathologist or the GP, not that it matters I guess. I was happy (for a while) I'd dodged it this time around, at least for now.

Oh yeah and I'm only 15 weeks.

Also my back is killing me. I can't sleep due to the constant peeing/thirst, and discomfort. I wake up feeling hardly better than when I went to bed. Night time is one long drawn out ordeal. I already had chronic pain issues and I know this spiral where less sleep = more pain = less sleep. Except this time I don't have many options for it drug-wise.

This is me at 15 weeks. Its gonna be hilarious how much of a train wreck I'll be in another couple of months.

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

Don't mess with Mister Creazil!

Big Bug Hug posted:

Oh yeah and I'm only 15 weeks.

Also my back is killing me. I can't sleep due to the constant peeing/thirst, and discomfort. I wake up feeling hardly better than when I went to bed. Night time is one long drawn out ordeal. I already had chronic pain issues and I know this spiral where less sleep = more pain = less sleep. Except this time I don't have many options for it drug-wise.

This is me at 15 weeks. Its gonna be hilarious how much of a train wreck I'll be in another couple of months.

This is me at a little over 12 weeks. Once/if I find a halfway comfy position to lay in, I don't want to move. Then I have to pee and end up tossing and turning trying to get somewhat comfy again. By the time I do, it's time to pee again. The less sleep I get, the more I hurt and need sleep, but the less sleep I get. Ugly ugly cycle. My OB sent me to get a PT eval and I did go. Because of their hours and my work hours (and me not being able to afford taking half days off of work to go), the therapist showed me how to do exercises to strengthen my core. Honestly though, after 7 weeks, they still bring me to tears for hours after doing them. It's hard to stay motivated when it causes me more pain. Especially when I can't take anything to help it. I used to use my TENS machine religiously and that helped so much. The therapist said a TENS unit on the back is contraindicated because it can cause contractions of my uterus.

I was originally on Tramadol and Flexeril. At my first visit, my OB said nope, can't take Tramadol when knocked up but gave me a script for Norco for rare usage. I used it twice in a month. When I went back for my 2nd apt, I saw a different doctor in the office and she basically accused me of being an addict and lying to get the "goodies" as she put it. I've dealt with backpain for over 4 years now, I don't take meds unless absolutely nothing else is working. Argh, I'm just so frustrated!

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I'm sorry man. I (ha) feel your pain. :hfive:

:(

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

kbdragon posted:

The reason I did it that way was not for the intense contractions and painful delivery, it was for mobility during labor, a swift, alert recovery, and to not expose baby to that stuff.

For me it was about 20 % this and 80 % that the thought of getting a needle plunged into my spine made me want to curl up in a ball and eat my face.

I'm a massive wimp, and I had no trouble with the pain. Not in the sense that it didn't hurt, but I always felt on top of it, I didn't panic or freak out. It hurt like hell, but it wasn't scary, it was just...work. And it felt good being able to move around and use my body. If we have another one, I hope I'll get to do it the same way again. (Well, I hope the baby will just magically teleport from my uterus to my arms some time around its due date, but that's not very realistic).

So a natural birth (I used a little gas and air for the last stages of labour, before the pushing. I have no idea if it helped, but it was nice to have something to focus on) isn't just for crazy hippies :) Now that I think about it, I actually know more people who have given birth without an epidural than with one.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I did it. I had a short labor (6 hours of contractions) so take my experience with a grain of salt: I didn't feel like it was that bad. I've broken my leg, and that was worse. I had a doula, though, and did three classes with her to prep, so I felt like I had a lot of techniques ready. I really liked being free to move around, and to get up two minutes after giving birth. All the pain really did disappear the second she was out of me.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

cailleask posted:

All the pain really did disappear the second she was out of me.

This part was totally shocking to me. It was instantaneous as soon as he was out. I felt amazing.

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.
I'm going to be a dad for the first time (GF is one month pregnant), and I'd love to read as much about it as possible. Forewarned/forearmed.

I'd really appreciate recommendations for books that you found useful, please!

eselbaum
Jul 4, 2009

*boop*
Hey, Preggoons!

I'm joining this thread at 11 weeks pregnant as of today with my first, and I honestly think I've hit the prenatal jackpot so far. I had a few bouts of nausea around weeks 5-6, but never to the point of throwing up. I also had some fairly intense fatigue which usually led to some fairly intense emotional outbursts. Now I'm just ravenously hungry for all of the food.

We haven't told our families the big news yet, either. Basically, we want to wait until a time when we'll be seeing both (well, technically three, as my parents are divorced) families in quick succession, so no one feels left out for finding out way after anyone else. The nearest opportunity for this will be during Thanksgiving week, when I'll be 15 weeks along. Do you think that's waiting too long beyond the 12 week hurtle? How long did you all wait before spilling the beans about your little bean?

Ambystoma
Oct 22, 2008

At least I looked like a popular idiot.
Congrats newly knocked up goons!

We did the traditional 12 week wait before telling everyone, it was a low risk pregnancy but we figured we'd wait anyhow and then tell people after the fact if something went wrong during the early days - I think it depends on what sort of support you would like if you have sad news.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Congrats guys :)

We told at 11.5 weeks because we were moving house and all the family were there. And I didn't want to look lazy for being exhausted/not doing much work, haha.

I don't think 15 weeks is too long, especially since it'll be at a special occasion/gathering.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
We are trying to decide about telling the assembled family at Thanksgiving, as we will only be at 10 weeks. But it is the only time we will see them all in person until next fall. Still haven't decided.

EDIT:

Catman Begins posted:

I'm going to be a dad for the first time (GF is one month pregnant), and I'd love to read as much about it as possible. Forewarned/forearmed.

I'd really appreciate recommendations for books that you found useful, please!

Dad books!

I recommended it earlier, but a fun easy book to start with for dads is this one: LINK

I also got some useful info out of this one: LINK

But really I read those because I got intimidated by this one. If you are the type who wants to know every single thing and every possibility, this is the intimidating classic: LINK

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 31, 2014

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I waited on told three (Hubby's parents are divorced) at 13, 14, 15 weeks at each Christmas celebration. Everyone did very well keeping it from the other groups!

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Wanting to wait for a special occasion is definitely not a problem.
My husbands family and my family are from different parts of the country, but my parents had planned a visit, and as it turned out, I was about 10 weeks pregnant at that point. So we waited to tell anyone until we had a joint dinner with my husbands parents, and then we told everyone to pose for a picture and said: "Say "grandchild!"" We wanted a picture of surprised delight, but since mothers are mothers, we naturally ended up with a picture of both our mums exclaiming: "I KNEW IT!"

We would've told both sets of parents sooner if it hadn't been for the planned visit, where we knew we could make it a bit more special.

And then we didn't tell anyone else for another few weeks because in her speech at our wedding in August my little sister said that for her Christmas present she wanted to become an aunt, and I couldn't pass up an opportunity like that, so she got an ultrasound picture wrapped up with a little bow at something like 16 weeks. And then we told everyone.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Sockmuppet posted:

Wanting to wait for a special occasion is definitely not a problem.
My husbands family and my family are from different parts of the country, but my parents had planned a visit, and as it turned out, I was about 10 weeks pregnant at that point. So we waited to tell anyone until we had a joint dinner with my husbands parents, and then we told everyone to pose for a picture and said: "Say "grandchild!"" We wanted a picture of surprised delight, but since mothers are mothers, we naturally ended up with a picture of both our mums exclaiming: "I KNEW IT!"

We would've told both sets of parents sooner if it hadn't been for the planned visit, where we knew we could make it a bit more special.

And then we didn't tell anyone else for another few weeks because in her speech at our wedding in August my little sister said that for her Christmas present she wanted to become an aunt, and I couldn't pass up an opportunity like that, so she got an ultrasound picture wrapped up with a little bow at something like 16 weeks. And then we told everyone.

So you didn't worry about telling your parents too early? We are really on the fence, since she will be at 10 weeks when everyone is here.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Ishamael posted:

So you didn't worry about telling your parents too early? We are really on the fence, since she will be at 10 weeks when everyone is here.

We actually told both sets of parents the moment we found out (so really early) because if something DID go wrong, we would want them to know and be supportive. They were under strict orders to keep mum to siblings and the rest of the family (which mostly worked except my mom couldn't keep a secret and told my grandmother) until our more official announcement to the families at 12 weeks.

It really depends on your relationships with your families and how you/they will feel if the worst were to happen, imo.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
We ended up telling my mom early because my wife ended up getting sick with a fever early on and we had some worries/questions and my mom is a medical professional.

Very anti-climactic. I called her while she was out to dinner in New York City with her boyfriend and was like "heyyyyyyyyyy... um... so hate to tell you like this, but we're pregnant and mom's got a fever! What do we do?!"

For her mom we ended up doing a little custom onesie announcing it after the customary first trimester. She started balling of course.

And trying to be clever and film it with my cell phone I totally hosed up. I had accidentally hit record about 20 seconds prior. So you hear all the buildup and then when I THOUGHT I went to hit record to capture the moment... I actually stopped recording. :(

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Ishamael posted:

My policy was to only tell people I'd want to know if something went wrong. So I wouldn't have told the world at 10 weeks, but I wasn't at all worried about telling our parents, because I'd want their support if we had a miscarriage. If it weren't for the fact that we knew we'd have them all together so we could do a grand reveal, I'd probably have told my mum right after I told my husband.
As has been mentioned, it depends on your relationship with your family. If you want them around if something goes wrong, you can tell them whenever you want :)

eselbaum
Jul 4, 2009

*boop*
Thanks for the input, everyone. I think we'll follow through with the plan and keep things under wraps until Thanksgiving. I think I've just been feeling a little guilty about keeping it from family, mostly because *everyone* at my work knows, but only because I kind of had to tell them; I work as an assistant in a dental office that offers nitrous oxide, which I'm not supposed to be exposed to, at least until after the first trimester. So, at least I had a good reason!

Sockmuppet posted:

So we waited to tell anyone until we had a joint dinner with my husbands parents, and then we told everyone to pose for a picture and said: "Say "grandchild!"" We wanted a picture of surprised delight, but since mothers are mothers, we naturally ended up with a picture of both our mums exclaiming: "I KNEW IT!"

BonoMan posted:

For her mom we ended up doing a little custom onesie announcing it after the customary first trimester. She started balling of course.

And trying to be clever and film it with my cell phone I totally hosed up. I had accidentally hit record about 20 seconds prior. So you hear all the buildup and then when I THOUGHT I went to hit record to capture the moment... I actually stopped recording. :(

Also, these are super cute ideas! That's something else I've been thinking about, not just when to tell them but how.
Sorry you missed recording the big reaction, BonoMan! But, I'm sure she'll remember that moment for the rest of her life. :)

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

eselbaum posted:

That's something else I've been thinking about, not just when to tell them but how.

After my sister got her Christmas present, we announced it to everyone else by posting this picture on Facebook :3:

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ishamael posted:

So my wife has been looking into natural childbirth stuff recently, and I realized that I don't know a single person in real life who didn't have some kind of medication during labor. Does anyone here have experience with natural childbirth? Was it worth the extra pain? Would you recommend it to a first-time mom who has not historically dealt well with pain?

Thanks!

I had natural childbirth because no sorts of medications were available to me. Epidurals are very rare in the country where I live (Japan) and the hospital where I gave birth had a policy of not offering any kind of pain medication. I was induced because I was overdue and had preeclampsia symptoms. When labor came, it came on hard and strong. It wasn't just painful, it was terrifying. Labor was short and everything turned out okay but I feel like even having had the option of something for the pain would have made the experience less scary.

Everyone experiences labor and birth differently, so I say don't rule it out entirely yet. Just having the option can be comforting, even if you don't take it.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

LyonsLions posted:

I had natural childbirth because no sorts of medications were available to me. Epidurals are very rare in the country where I live (Japan)

Here is a random question. Are women in Japan forbidden from eating sushi while pregnant (specifically raw sushi)? I was wondering about this while reading the rules of what she can eat and not eat.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ishamael posted:

Here is a random question. Are women in Japan forbidden from eating sushi while pregnant (specifically raw sushi)? I was wondering about this while reading the rules of what she can eat and not eat.

Not at all. It's recommended to limit your intake of certain fish that are known to be high in mercury, like tuna, but everything else is fair game.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

LyonsLions posted:

Not at all. It's recommended to limit your intake of certain fish that are known to be high in mercury, like tuna, but everything else is fair game.

That is really interesting. Most books here in the US treat raw fish like a certain death sentence.

Well things are progressing fine, I am taking the role of chef to make sure she is eating healthy/enough. She seems to be slightly nauseous about 75% of the time, with it being worse in the mornings. Once she starts eating though, she feels better, so there is a lot of crackers and dry bread to get things rolling, followed by fruits and veggies. She is super tired all the time, so I am trying to help her take it easy.

We have our first ultrasound on Nov. 11, so wish us luck! I hope everything is there and progressing correctly, it's a bit nerve-wracking to not know.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Ishamael posted:

That is really interesting. Most books here in the US treat raw fish like a certain death sentence.

Well things are progressing fine, I am taking the role of chef to make sure she is eating healthy/enough. She seems to be slightly nauseous about 75% of the time, with it being worse in the mornings. Once she starts eating though, she feels better, so there is a lot of crackers and dry bread to get things rolling, followed by fruits and veggies. She is super tired all the time, so I am trying to help her take it easy.

We have our first ultrasound on Nov. 11, so wish us luck! I hope everything is there and progressing correctly, it's a bit nerve-wracking to not know.

I found Almonds and Toasted Coconut to be nice snacks as well.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Ishamael posted:

Both the OB I had with my first pregnancy and the midwife I also used said that most of the food restrictions are just cover your butt things and to just be an intelligent consumer of food (pasteurized soft cheese is a yes, raw is a no, for instance). The only thing I ever restricted while pregnant was caffeine (and alcohol, I guess).

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

skeetied posted:

Both the OB I had with my first pregnancy and the midwife I also used said that most of the food restrictions are just cover your butt things and to just be an intelligent consumer of food (pasteurized soft cheese is a yes, raw is a no, for instance). The only thing I ever restricted while pregnant was caffeine (and alcohol, I guess).

Yeah, it was sushi specifically I was curious about, since it is a lot more prevalent in Japan. We were wondering the other day if pregnant Japanese women avoided raw fish, or not. And now we know - thanks LyonsLions!

Eponymous Bosch
Aug 11, 2010
The US in general has a crazy-pants approach to pregnancy and child rearing. If it could possibly be harmful then it is immediately given a skull and cross bones and people become zealously against X, Y, and Z without much evidence. Just be thoughtful and careful. Try to see the research behind the guidelines and ask trusted sources (OBs, midwives) when in doubt.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I'm reading a book called "Bumpology" that has some good info on all the "forbiddens". I like it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Ishamael posted:

Yeah, it was sushi specifically I was curious about, since it is a lot more prevalent in Japan. We were wondering the other day if pregnant Japanese women avoided raw fish, or not. And now we know - thanks LyonsLions!

Caffeine is fine as long as you aren't consuming massive quantities of it a day. 1 or 2 small cups of coffee or whatever is no biggie, 1 or 2 pots of it is a no.

Even small amounts of alcohol usually don't hurt anything, not that I recommend it.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Ishamael posted:

IIRC Japan also has MUCH more rigorous food safety/health codes so you're very unlikely to get bad raw fish in Japan so it's much less of a concern.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Kimmalah posted:

Caffeine is fine as long as you aren't consuming massive quantities of it a day. 1 or 2 small cups of coffee or whatever is no biggie, 1 or 2 pots of it is a no.

Even small amounts of alcohol usually don't hurt anything, not that I recommend it.

The problem with all these food regulations (and, we are learning, with medications) is that there is no science behind any of it. No one wants to test drugs or foods on pregnant women, for obvious reasons, so all the medical establishments just lean towards forbidding everything they can think of.

But, of course everyone wants to err on the side of safety so they don't become a cautionary tale, which I totally get.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Ishamael posted:

The problem with all these food regulations (and, we are learning, with medications) is that there is no science behind any of it.

There is plenty of science behind the warnings against toxoplasmosis, a parasite, and listeria, a bacteria. Both of these infections are mostly harmless for otherwise healthy adults, but can kill or damage the fetus. They're the cause behind the seemingly silly and exaggerated warnings against unwashed fruit and veg, emptying litterboxes and eating meat that isn't cooked through (toxoplasmosis) and unpasteurized soft cheeses and cured meats (listeria).

Now, the rates of toxoplasmosis-infection vary greatly from country to country. In France (if I remember correctly) something like 80 % of adults are infected, and they routinely test for it when you're pregnant, but here in Norway the rates are much lower, and it's not a routine test.
The chance of infection isn't very high (I took the toxoplasmosis test, and apparently 29 years of travelling the world eating unwashed everything and weird-rear end cheeses and suspicious meat wasn't enough to get it, but I was still careful about what I ate for those 9 months, because I'm a massive worrier) but the consequenses for the baby can be severe. It's basically a judgement call you have to make about what kind of risks you're comfortable with, but don't dismiss all food regulations as unfounded.

(And check if your rubella shot is up to date if you live somewhere with lots of anti-vaxxers.)

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Sockmuppet posted:

There is plenty of science behind the warnings against toxoplasmosis, a parasite, and listeria, a bacteria. Both of these infections are mostly harmless for otherwise healthy adults, but can kill or damage the fetus. They're the cause behind the seemingly silly and exaggerated warnings against unwashed fruit and veg, emptying litterboxes and eating meat that isn't cooked through (toxoplasmosis) and unpasteurized soft cheeses and cured meats (listeria).

Now, the rates of toxoplasmosis-infection vary greatly from country to country. In France (if I remember correctly) something like 80 % of adults are infected, and they routinely test for it when you're pregnant, but here in Norway the rates are much lower, and it's not a routine test.
The chance of infection isn't very high (I took the toxoplasmosis test, and apparently 29 years of travelling the world eating unwashed everything and weird-rear end cheeses and suspicious meat wasn't enough to get it, but I was still careful about what I ate for those 9 months, because I'm a massive worrier) but the consequenses for the baby can be severe. It's basically a judgement call you have to make about what kind of risks you're comfortable with, but don't dismiss all food regulations as unfounded.

(And check if your rubella shot is up to date if you live somewhere with lots of anti-vaxxers.)

:ssh: Don't ruin no litterbox duty for pregnant women!

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Alterian posted:

:ssh: Don't ruin no litterbox duty for pregnant women!

I'm not ruining it, I'm backing it up! Emptying the litter box may lead to baby brain parasites :cthulhu:

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Sockmuppet posted:

Meanwhile, at least in Texas in the US, I wasn't warned about unwashed produce, but I was warned against even pasteurized soft cheeses (or eating any kind of sprouts - bean, alfalfa, whatever, washed or not). Going by recent warnings, I'm at most risk from ground beef and salad, so I don't microwave my lunchmeat and I am continuing to eat (pasteurized) feta.

Meanwhile, when I got married (in Montana) I had to get my rubella titer checked, and it was fine in 2007, and then my OB's office tested it when I got pregnant in 2011, and nope, nothing. So, since you can't get the rubella shot while pregnant, I had to worry for 9 months that herd immunity would fail me. (It didn't, and the booster I got after giving birth was still good when I got it checked at the beginning of this pregnancy.)

eselbaum
Jul 4, 2009

*boop*
http://foodpoisoning.pritzkerlaw.com/archives/cat-listeria.html

I just found this handy blog that details the latest recalls on food found to be contaminated with listeriosis. Granted, it's some ambulance-chasing lawyer's ad at the top, but the info is helpful nonetheless.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

zonohedron posted:

I had to get my rubella titer checked, and it was fine in 2007, and then my OB's office tested it when I got pregnant in 2011, and nope, nothing. So, since you can't get the rubella shot while pregnant, I had to worry for 9 months that herd immunity would fail me.

This was me. I use it as an example every time I talk to someone (thankfully this occurs exclusively online) who is sceptical about vaccines.
I had my booster shot as soon as I could, so thankfully I'll be covered when we decide to go for number two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eponymous Bosch
Aug 11, 2010
Just to freak everyone out more- microwaving deli meat probably won't kill Listeria unless you do it for an extended period of time and move it around a bunch. Basically it won't kill it.