Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.

Chicken McNobody posted:

Does anyone here have experience with tapering off antidepressants while pregnant, specifically Zoloft? I've seen plenty of resources that suggest it's not dangerous in pregnancy, but I've also read that when the baby's born that it might suffer withdrawals, and having been through it myself I definitely don't want to put a new kid through it. (Quitting Paxil, even on a very slow taper, was a sumbitch.) So if anyone has experience with that and wouldn't mind sharing, I'd much appreciate it.

I talked with my doctor who talked to a psychiatrist and he suggested that since I've tried to get off my antidepressant and then had to go back on, it wouldn't be a good idea to quit, as a depressed mother is just as unhealthy as other things. They didn't mention baby withdrawal but said that there was some correlation with lower birth weight. Apparently, Prozac is the only antidepressant that has been studied thoroughly in pregnant women and even with that, the doctors didn't want to say anything for certain. For the record I was on Zoloft, went off for a year, and now am on Wellbutrin.

Like bellybutton said, talk to your doctor! The problem I ran into is that my doctor isn't used to pregnancy questions and had to consult with an OB and the psychiatrist before getting back to me; an OB would know more about drugs and pregnancy but maybe not about your specific medical history. And in the end, he said that it was my choice because both options had their pros and cons.

Another thing he mentioned is that I definitely won't be able to breastfeed. The antidepressant doesn't cross the placenta in great quantities (if at all, I can't remember) but it does it get concentrated in breast milk.

Edit: To actually answer your question about tapering off, I'm not planning on doing that. My brain can't produce those chemicals and I'm non-functional without them unless I have zero stress. If I had a strong support system and better access to therapy, I might consider it. Everyone's situation is different so good luck to you!

Now I have a question for the thread:
This is my first pregnancy and I am 6 weeks pregnant and have extreme exhaustion plus some insomnia (plus nausea, some cramps, etc). The only remedy for exhaustion I've seen is herbal teas - is there anything else? I'm thinking I'll have to do one cup of green tea so that I can get to school on time.

Tesla Insanely Coil fucked around with this message at 08:42 on May 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

I made a cup of green tea this morning without any guilt but then I forgot about it and didn't drink any. Then I came home from classes and had a 3 hour nap without any guilt. I woke up and the mailman had delivered a package from my mom - morning wellness tea with ginger and chamomile that will hopefully help with the nausea.

And to everyone who wants to wait before telling people, I think that is the way to go. When we told my husband's parents and grandparents on Mother's Day (which seemed like a good day) they wanted to immediately tell everyone. They were sad that I didn't want them to until I knew the baby was relatively healthy.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

I think I might put the green tea on hold for now.

Brennanite posted:

Singin' the heartburn blues over here. I've passed the Tums and cruised on to Tagamet. I've found no correlation to diet, so I'm assuming this is mechanical. Are there any tips you ladies have? I'm only 25 weeks, the thought of doing this for another three months is depressing.

I couldn't find where I read it, but it is mechanical - the muscle at the top of the stomach relaxes. So it makes sense that small meals would keep the heartburn at bay.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Does anyone know of a good book for expectant dads? I want to get my husband one as his first father's day gift.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Thanks for the book suggestions. I decided to buy The Expectant Father. I also got the Mayo Clinic book and a Cul de Sac Treasury which is a very cute comic strip about a preschool girl and her family.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

For the person who was asking about book recommendations, I asked about a week before Father's Day so you shouldn't have to look back too far. My husband liked what I got him but so far he's read only the finances section.

As far as baby names, I'm kind of hoping for a girl because I love the girl name we've picked out - Rosalind Valentina - Rosalind after the woman who discovered the structure of DNA and Valentina after the first woman astronaut. I wanted a strong girl name after we came up with several strong boy names. Finding one was harder than I thought, but after researching names so much I've become attached.

And for the post above me, Rita, Penny, and Lucy are nicknames for other names which widens the name pool further.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

After feeling awful the first month, I wanted to be pregnant with twins so that I could have my two babies right away and never be pregnant again. Even after my first ultrasound, I was hoping I was having twins and that the second one was tucked behind the first one, but I had my second ultrasound a week ago and there was only one. :saddowns:

I seem to be on the opposite side of the unhealthy eating spectrum compared to what the other ladies here are saying. I was almost underweight when I got pregnant and my doctor said I couldn't lose any weight and now at 14 weeks, I've lost around 15 pounds maybe more. Ugh, but the nausea is finally tapering off with medication.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Prolonged Shame posted:

I'm 17 weeks along and have gained about 15 lbs so far. I spent my first trimester mercifully morning sickness-free and in the 'I can eat whatever I want because I'm pregnant' mindset. Once I got that out of my system and realized that a cheese quesadilla and glass of chocolate milk isn't exactly a healthy dinner I've settled back down into more reasonable eating habits. My doctor is unconcerned - he just monitors it for drastic changes.

In other news, I have my anatomy ultrasound coming up and can finally find out the gender of the baby!

You mentioned chocolate milk! I would love to pass on the info I have about chocolate milk. Months ago I visited a nutritionist and she told me that chocolate milk is now considered a terrific post-workout drink. The healthiest version is to use skim milk and stir in cocoa that isn't dutch processed (so not very sweet).

When I went to my first prenatal appointment and talked with my doctor about my eating habits (as in, I wasn't eating) she said to drink whole chocolate milk three times a day as that would be a good way for me to get the protein I needed while I was throwing up most of my food. I compared my chocolate milk brand to meal supplement drinks like Ensure and Boost and there is almost the same amount of protein per serving.

I think the information about the "healthiness" of chocolate milk is relatively new so I thought I would pass it along.

Here is an article that quotes the chocolate milk study:
http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_200/247_fitness_tip.html

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

To Tulip Candy - My advice would be to not get a general degree just to have one. That is what I did and while I don't regret the education, it was too expensive and did not prepare me for my career. I got a BS in Liberal Studies and now I'm going back to school for Civil Engineering so about 80% of my original classes are useless. And take as many classes as possible at a community college.

Also, if you and your husband want a standard of living that requires two incomes, you may as well bite the bullet and start researching careers seriously. It took a lot of mental energy for me to get to that point and it was hard to figure things out, but it was all necessary. Plus, if you decide that you don't want a career but maybe just a steady office job or something, you won't even need to go back to school.

Good luck!

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

I first was thinking that I haven't experienced any pregnancy rage but I have a couple of times. The best was when I caught my husband using our nice bathroom towels in the kitchen again. I was going to bite my tongue but he insisted that I communicate with him, so I ended up flipping out on him.

There was another memorable incident where my computer was acting weird and I flipped out on it. My husband had to physically drag me away before I broke something. We ended up laughing about that.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

car dance posted:

Are ginger tea and ginger chews actually that good for morning sickness? I've tried saltines and carbonated water, but they're not helping a lot.

I stopped drinking ginger tea because I was throwing it up. Medicine (Zofran) is the only thing that has made the nausea stop and also figuring out what my triggers are.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Does anyone have, for instance, links to solid studies or just detailed websites about
1. SSRIs and pregnancy? (I was on prozac throughout the pregnancy. I tried getting off it before getting pregnant but found that I was getting really unstable. It's been mentioned as maybe linked to my daughter's scary birth.)

I would try drugs.com. Some articles are better than others - I look at how well they cite sources and what the sources are.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

I'm 18 weeks along and I'm not buying anything but I started to crochet a baby blanket! I have several blankets that relatives have made for me over the years so as soon as I thought of making one for my baby I got all gooey and sentimental.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Bodnoirbabe posted:

YES! I am having the most vivid dreams every night. They seem so incredibly real but they couldn't possibly with how weird they are. What about anyone else?

I've been having vivid dreams but thankfully haven't had nightmares for a while. But waking up feels weird sometimes.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Yeah, I still can't believe how people take this important piece of my life and do whatever they want with it. It actually makes me feel pretty alone, and I'm already a loner.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

So is it common to stay in the hospital for several days after the baby is born? I figured I'd go home asap unless there is bad tearing.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

I've been having the "warm and cuddly animals" dreams but the animals are dead or dying so the dreams are more like nightmares.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

You know what's been fascinating recently? Watching my belly button get shallower and shallower. I'm at 20 weeks so my uterus has almost reached my belly button and I think it will go from an innie to an outie.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

HClChicken posted:

Wife is currently at 36 weeks. Swelling is getting pretty bad, she drinks at least 64 oz of water a day. She works on her feet 4-6 hours 4 times a week. She doesn't exercise at all, but she does elevate her feet and take lukewarm baths for the swelling. Plus I rub her feet as much as she wants.

What are other ways to reduce swelling/ prevent it?

She could try support hose. She should put it on before she gets out of bed so that no blood is pooling in her feet.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

I had the anatomical scan last week. The baby wasn't in a tight fetal position at first so it was easy to find the penis (it's a boy) but after the tech did some scanning, the baby got into a tight fetal position with legs crossed - I don't think the baby liked being poked at so much. Once the baby was curled up, it was a lot harder to find a good angle but the tech was able to find the penis again to show my mom who came later.

For me, seeing the baby wave his arms and yawn and move around was even better than finding out the gender. Now when I feel the baby move I can imagine how he's positioned and what he's doing.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Wafer posted:

Do exactly as she says. Do not piss her off, and do not test her limits.

This. If you read back a few pages, you can read some of our pregnancy rage stories. Every pregnancy is different. She could feel fine through out the pregnancy or throw up every day for several months. The third trimester brings its own set of problems, like swelling feet. My husband has just been taking things as they come and has been very accommodating but he hasn't done much reading or research. Another thing I've noticed in this thread is that a lot of us have some kind of problem with our family, so make sure to take her side on every issue.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

I have a question - do you go to the hospital as soon as your water breaks or do you wait until contractions are a certain length apart?

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Thanks for the answers. Now I have a follow up question - if you go to the hospital early on in your labor, do they stick you in a hospital gown right away? Do you get an IV if everything seems to be going fine?

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

^^^^ Yeah, I need to figure out what I want. I'm only 23 weeks along so it's a couple months until I take the hospital tour but since I'm already anxious I think I'll be talking to my OB soon. I want to give birth in a hospital but don't really want to stay in the hospital. I want a natural birth but have a low pain tolerance...

Amykinz posted:

... So, I guess, how did you 'announce' when you finally figured out a name?

Whatever you do, it's good to have a plan. When we started telling people at a family event they went, "that's a weird name [or something to that point], why are you picking it?" And I was unprepared and said "uuh I don't remember, I think it's because we like the way it sounds" when we actually did put a lot of thought into it.

Tesla Insanely Coil fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 6, 2011

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

As my husband and I recently read, amniotic fluid in the third trimester is mostly fetal pee and is sometimes even yellow. This really grossed out my husband for some reason and said the baby will get a good scrubbing when he gets out. Actually, what I think grossed him out more was that the fetus drinks the amniotic fluid and then pees it out in a wonderful cycle.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Mangue posted:

Has anyone had to deal with telling their prospective employer about pregnancy? I do not currently have a job though I had an interview last week and am hoping they hire me. I'm only 16 weeks along so it was not at all apparent that I was pregnant during the interview. I really did not want to let them know I was pregnant because I did not want to give them any excuse at all not to hire me.

Anyway, if I get this job I won't start until November. Since I am due in February, that will mean I will have only worked for this employer for about 3 months and will not qualify for my state's parenteral laws. These laws state that if I am working for a company of 50 or more people and have worked for them for 12 months, I am entitled to 12 weeks of unpaid maternity leave.

IF they decide to offer me the job, I want to tell them ASAP but I'm just not sure how. And it's complicated by the fact that that job requires 16 weeks of training starting in January. I'm not sure if they have ever had someone who needed to take time off right in the middle of the 16 week program.

I'm not sure if I should mention it on the phone when they offer me the job. I'm not sure if I should request a meeting with them right after I accept. I'm not sure how they will react to my not telling them during the interview. I know that if they do hire me, they can't fire me for being pregnant. I just don't want them to resent me because I took the job and now they have to start making all these allowances for me, like altering the 16 week program they have in place.

I hope this made some sort of sense. Basically, I'm pregnant, I may be getting a job soon, what is the best way to go about telling my employer that I am pregnant?

First off, I wish you the best of luck! Getting a job in this economy is tough.

They aren't allowed to fire you because of your pregnancy but because of the part I bolded I don't think they don't have to make any accommodations (like give you time off beyond what they offer other new hires), so it's going to come down to how much they want you. Also, it's possible that the training period is a probationary period where they haven't officially hired you and thus can decide not to hire you. I'm not sure how probationary periods work legally. But I know at a place I used to work that once they found someone they liked, they were willing to wait a few months until they could start working.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

I'm pregnant with the first grandchild of the family and I'm starting to understand how grandparents are kind of crazy. I can imagine having problems with grandparents spoiling the kid. I can't think of anything they've done that's too noticeable but they get a rabid look in their eyes sometimes. I didn't really have grandparents in my life so I don't really know what to expect.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

I have some joint pain, not as bad as yours though I'm at 23 weeks so it might get worse. The only comfortable spot is the recliner. I can't get my back supported and at the right angle any where else. You could also see about paying for your husband to take massage lessons, which would be cheaper than a professional.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Gumby Orgy posted:

I tried basically this exactly. When she said that she couldn't give me the time off because others had asked for that day off before me, I mentioned that I couldn't exactly change the fact that I'm pregnant. I asked if I could come in late and she said no. I then said that I am entitled to prenatal appointments through FMLA and she said that I have to talk to HR. I talked to my OB/GYN appointment manager today and found out that if I can't go to the October 17th on, it will be early November before I can get another one scheduled due to the length required for a first appointment.

Is this a doctor you know and are comfortable with? Otherwise, you could try to get an appointment at a different clinic.

Here is the link to the FMLA: http://www.dol.gov/compliance/guide/fmla.htm
I was reading a little bit online in various places and it seems like you can take time off for prenatal appointments under FMLA only. If you take them as FMLA time, you are protected. If you take those appointments as unpaid or PTO, you are not protected. There's also a bit of a debate over whether pregnancy is a "serious illness" - if it is, then you can take the appointments whenever you want; if it isn't, you have to accommodate your work. The internet says all sorts of interesting things but that seems to be the general idea.

Good luck!

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Fire In The Disco posted:

I personally didn't like gDiapers, but I hear Flips work pretty well. I have used the Flip covers as a regular cloth diaper cover before and have been satisfied with them.

What about the GroVia brand? Anyone heard about them? Costco has a starter kit I've been thinking about. The inserts can be cloth or biodegradable.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

The Young Marge posted:

Ugh, sucks that they ran out of what you need. The exact same thing happened to me - I had put Sunbaby diapers on my Amazon registry. Then about a week before the shower (which was Saturday), they stopped taking orders because they got too backed up. A friend even told me at the shower that she'd intended to get them for us, but then they weren't available anymore. Now I have no idea when they'll be back in business. :( I was really counting on them, too.

Re: "don't buy until the baby arrives," I don't know; wouldn't it be a good idea to get some cloth diapers in advance so you can practice with them and prep them? Again, this is my first kid, so I don't know if this is wise or not.

Yeah, I've heard with the GroVia diapers that you need to wash and dry the heavy duty inserts four times before they work properly. Some of the negative reviews I've read say that they didn't feel like doing that and the inserts didn't work properly and/or took too long to dry.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Amykinz posted:

[...]

And now I kinda want to say, "you know what, gently caress it. I didn't ask for some elaborate and expensive shower, and I loving asked you NOT TO MAKE A BIG DEAL OR SPEND TOO MUCH, and now you're holding it over my head because your 2 year old didn't get another gift?" but that would cause EVEN more problems.

[...]

(I have been planning to buy a gift for the niece, I just needed a day off to do it, like today...)

If you say this nicer, I don't see what problem your sister should have. It seems like she just needs to be reminded of what you're going through. Also, she reminds me of several people who show they care by spending money and will go into debt to keep a certain status so if that's why they are broke I can't feel bad.

And I have to say that I have my own baby shower drama. I'm apparently having three different showers because my mom feels like her part of the family got dis-invited from the shower that my mother-in-law is throwing. I feel bad for my m.i.l. because my mom was looking for a reason to be affronted but she did phrase some things wrong.

edit: And I can't imagine a two year old saying "Why didn't Auntie Amy get me anything? Doesn't she love me?" unless they are already a spoiled brat. Are two year olds even capable of understanding birthdays? It's been a while since I've been around kids.

Tesla Insanely Coil fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 22, 2011

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

What about classes at a nearby hospital? The hospital I'm planning to give birth at has a lot of different classes, including one that's just for dads. I'm planning on taking some classes. I don't think they will be as informational or methodical as any of the other ways (Bradley, Brio), but everything that isn't free is too expensive right now.

Also, I'll have to be a dissenting voice for Zofran - it gave me such bad constipation that I preferred the nausea. And if I stopped eating, I didn't have to worry about throwing up! :downs: (No, I still threw up when I brushed my teeth.) But my experience is in the minority so hopefully it will work for Gumby.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

MoCookies posted:

I'm doing Hypnobabies, too. I'm a skeptic when it comes to psuedo-science, but I can honestly say that Hypnobabies is far less hokey than I was expecting at first. The zoning out during practice is awesome, and has been ideal for helping me get back to sleep after getting up to pee for the millionth time during the night. One of the tracks we listen to (my husband too) is all positive affirmations, which has turned out to be one of my favorite things when I'm having a rough day.

I liked that Bradley Way book quite a bit, too. It seems like the programs with the best reviews all have an emphasis on both practicing relaxation regularly along with giving both parents a solid understanding of what will physically be happening during the birth.

I was reading about Hypnobabies. They are different from other hypnosis courses because they teach something like hypnoanesthesia/analgesia, which is a real thing and was successfully used for major surgeries in India before chemical anesthesia was invented. There are modern examples of using it for surgery as well.

The one thing that the Hypnobabies site doesn't say which I wish they would is that some people are more susceptible to hypnosis than other people. But you don't need to be highly susceptible to hypnosis in order to be susceptible to regular suggestion, and regular suggestion can be effective at pain reduction.
http://www.apa.org/research/action/hypnosis.aspx
http://www.faqs.org/abstracts/Psychology-and-mental-health/Hypnosis-suggestion-and-placebo-in-the-reduction-of-experimental-pain.html

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

ohjoshdarnit posted:

Does anyone have any experience with getting prenatal screenings for down syndrome done? Our doctor recommended it but we're having trouble getting a straight answer from the insurance company on whether or not it is covered.

At my visit, my doctor gave me the specific codes that they give the insurance companies, and then it was up to me to call my insurance company and ask how much they would reimburse those codes.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

I'm 28 weeks and healthy and last week my husband said, "Well, I guess it's time to pack your bag for your hospital stay." I laughed him out of that idea but yesterday he started talking about which bag(s) we should use and maybe we need to buy a new one. I think I'll pack a bag to humor him if he brings it up again, though I'll obviously need stuff out of it before I'm due.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

I'm not planning on giving birth in a tub, but the hospital has a jacuzzi to relax in so I'm planning on being in my swimming suit and relaxing in hot water for as long as possible.

I also bought this on an impulse buy.

Also, it's completely understandable if you want to look good. Not only for the staff but for pictures. My dad took pictures of my mom (not anything gross) and those pictures will be around for a long time so that is making me want to look nice, though I'm just aiming for a french braid.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

limegrnxj posted:

The only non medical person who I want in the room once the real delivering begins is my husband. My parents might want to hang out beforehand, and I'm ok with that, but once poo poo starts to get real, everybody OUT! Except the doctors and nurses, they can stay.

I'm an optimist and am hoping to do most of my laboring at home, in secret and then running to the hospital at the last minute. Since it's my first, I should have no problem determining when the last minute is, rite?? HAHA, we'll see how it goes. But I'm pretty firm on the no one but the hubby in the room.

I asked my doctor about staying home for as long as possible and she said that if I'm not Group B Strep positive I can stay at home for quite a few hours after my water breaks (6 hrs maybe?) but if I am positive, she would want me in the hospital soon to get drugs.

With my reading and the anecdotal stories here, it seems like labor starting and water breaking and then the real labor starting all happen different ways. Like you can labor for a long time before your water breaks or your water breaks before you realize you're in labor. It's interesting.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

I can relate to the feelings about having a boy instead of a girl. I was disappointed but all the grandparents are tickled pink and even relieved that it's a boy. Even the staff at my dentist said "thank god you're having a boy. They're a lot better." So not only do I not have anyone to commiserate with but I feel like I'm fighting the patriarchal system or something (same thing with boats and planes being stereotypically masculine when I'm the engineer who's sailed in regattas). I have been telling everyone that they can't buy anything blue, and that's made me feel better because almost everything specifically for boys is blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

MoCookies posted:

I had all these awesome plans for my baby's nursery and wardrobe, and how we weren't going to do the standard boys = blue bullshit. But I love in a freaking retail wasteland (Quebec), and I can't find a drat thing that isn't blue or pink, or ridiculously overpriced for the quality. I can't even do any decent online shopping without getting screwed on prices and/or import duties. It's bugging me that all the stuff we've been able to get so far looks so drat generic. At least my baby carriers are unusual and reflect my style.

Anybody else planning on baby wearing? So far I've got two woven wraps and a mei tai.

If you have access to a sewing machine and a fabric store, it is pretty easy to make your own crib sheets and blankets. I'm very new to sewing and have made a couple of blankets and burp rags, and have bought fabric to make crib sheets and other things. Most of my projects only need me to sew in straight lines (which does take practice). You don't need to buy patterns - there are lots of tutorials/patterns online. But making baby clothes is more complicated - my mom helped me make one outfit and I got pretty frustrated.