Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

political pseudoscience
Aug 8, 2006

Lealoo posted:

I'm in the states, but this is kind of related. I had a friend that admitted to the delivery nurse that she smoked weed a couple times while she was pregnant, and ended up being investigated by CPS for a few months.

A friend of mine's niece had baby very prematurely (about 24 weeks) and it was clear that the baby was not going to make it for long even on life support. The baby tested positive for marijuana and CPS descended full force on the mother. I get that what she did was not smart, but you think they could lay off her because her baby was literally dying.

re: diapers

We started on Pampers because that's what they had at the hospital and we took all that we could grab from the bassinet there. We eventually switched to Huggies supreme at around size 2 because the Pampers were having blow out issues and Huggies always has coupons. Now we're onto Luvs because the poop isn't all crazy liquid explosive so the cheap diapers can contain everything just as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

political pseudoscience
Aug 8, 2006

peanut posted:

EDIT: How long did your post-partum hair loss last? Bug's 4 months old now and I'm still collecting 2 giant hairballs everytime I shower :ohdear:

I think mine went to about 4 months or so? Lack of sleep makes it all a blur. The amount of hair that would fall off me did freak me out, I felt like Gretel leaving a trail of long blonde hair to find my way.

political pseudoscience
Aug 8, 2006

Anselm October (Toby) made an early arrival two weeks ago. He is still in the NICU, (preemie withe meconium in his fluid) but is kicking rear end and is almost back to his birth weight. If all keeps going well, we should all be back home together Wednesday!

He was born fast and furious with a twelve hour labor vbac. I thought it was false labor so I had driven myself to the hospital but when I jumped from 0 to 3cm within two hours I had some phone calls to make to get my husband there and my six year old to my aunts.

political pseudoscience
Aug 8, 2006
I had a lot of ultrasounds this last pregnancy because I'm an old and had GD so it was considered high risk. I think my husband made it to two of them. It was the same with our first born, it's hard for him to get off work and he doesn't have paid leave. I do wish that he had been there for the one that I found out we lost at 12 weeks. I had to call him so he could come to the office and pick me up.

political pseudoscience
Aug 8, 2006

Eris posted:

Update: After almost two weeks in NICU (these nurses are amazing), we brought our baby home. She's amazing and perfect. We'll need to keep following up with a hematologist and a pediatric neurologist for developmental markers - but docs seem optimistic that the damage was minimal and may not ever affect her. I'm going to see a new obgyn to see if this could have been prevented, and if I should just adopt in the future :)

Yay for baby being home!

My son was born at 35 weeks and spent 16 days in the NICU. It was pretty loving terrifying, but the little guy is doing well at almost 4 months. We have follow up appointments at the NICU "graduate" clinic and a neurologist follow up at 6 months. It's nice to have the extra assurance that things are on track.

We are also working with early intervention so that he can reach milestones on time.

political pseudoscience
Aug 8, 2006

confused posted:

Congrats to both of you! Our son is still in the thick of it. He was only 27 weeks 2 days. This is still week 3, so he probably has another two months in the NICU. Concurring with it being loving terrifying. It's only been 3 weeks, but it seems like forever.

Not sure about where you are, but if there is a March of Dimes person at your hospital they are wonderful. They had regular events for NICU parents, a little charm necklace you could build for your milestones, and the best was a NICU lounge. It was a separate room with a fridge and tv and a craft cabinet. A nice break from everything without sitting in the general waiting area. I would go in there in between feeding/ pumping just for some chill time. I could also keep food in there so I wasn't stuck with crappy expensive cafeteria food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

political pseudoscience
Aug 8, 2006

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Hey thread, I haven't really looked this way in the last 14 months but I guess it's time to check back in. My wife had a positive test last week, and after a dr visit yesterday it looks like we are going to have a second baby (though it is still really early, probably only 4 weeks in).

Main reason I'm checking in is because my wife had pretty bad PPD, and has been on Zoloft this last year. Her OB said that she isn't a candidate for going of the meds since her last pregnancy was so difficult. She said the risks of zoloft are pretty low, but that there is a higher chance of the baby having to go to the NICU to 'detox' for a few days after birth. I know there are some NICU folks around here so was wondering just how common that really is?

I have been on Zoloft for a long time and was on it during my pregnancies. My oldest was born at 36 weeks and had no issues at all. My second was born at 35 weeks and did have some mild symptoms of withdrawal, though there was a lot going on with him being early and meconium in my fluid. He had 16 day NICU stay but is now a giant sassy 3 year old.