Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabsurd
Dec 19, 2006
LuckyDaemon, I did not have a natural childbirth as such (I was fully induced and had an epidural after a few hours of pain), and while I was okay with not having gone to any classes, my husband was definitely NOT. He sat like a plum and didn't really know what to do with himself (he had also not read a single book on pregnancy or childcare). So I'm sure you will be fine with no classes, but it may be best to go to one for your husband's sake, especially if he is not a reader.

Starshine, for my one hour glucose test I didn't do anything special. I had mine in the morning, and I just ate a normal breakfast beforehand. I'm pretty sure you don't need to fast for that one, just don't have a giant block of chocolate or anything crazy right before. Usually (at least here in New Zealand) if you "fail" the one hour test, you have to do the twelve-hour fast one, and they definitely tell you about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabsurd
Dec 19, 2006
I found it by searching for SA Moms, so it appears it is searchable (unless I have the wrong one :ohdear: ). I requested to join too (name's Michelle).

Crabsurd
Dec 19, 2006
Phooney, different nappy brands definitely do make a difference. If it's coming out the leg holes, perhaps his thighs are too small for that particular brand of nappy? Unfortunately it's a bit of a trial and error process finding one that works well. I would get a small pack of a different brand and see if it makes any difference. And it's not necessarily a case of most expensive being the best. The most expensive brand of disposable nappies here were completely useless on Chloe; the best ones for her were probably the cheapest ones around.

Crabsurd
Dec 19, 2006
Oh hello, NZ buddy! We've mainly switched to cloth, but we still use disposables at night. When she was in disposables full time, I much preferred Treasures over Huggies, if we're looking at the higher end of the price range. For some reason, we ALWAYS got leaks with Huggies (but then I know people who swear by them). I did not like BabyLove in the newborn size - she leaked every time she was in them. Which ones are you using now?

Signature Range worked just fine when she was little, but when she got a little bigger they fit weirdly (small leg holes or something?). Now we just use Woolworths Homebrand (they are very cheap, but I'm not sure if they come in newborn sizes) for night time. They're not flash, but we rarely get leaks.

Chloe is and has always been on the 50th percentile for height and weight, so completely average, if that makes any difference. Each brand has a slightly different fit, so it might take some experimentation to get one that fits well with your baby's proportions.

I'm sure you'll get there! There aren't THAT many brands to go through. ;)

Crabsurd
Dec 19, 2006

peanut posted:

EDIT: How long did your post-partum hair loss last? Bug's 4 months old now and I'm still collecting 2 giant hairballs everytime I shower :ohdear:
Mine's still going strong at more than six months post-partum. I should be bald by now, but I have a lot of hair.

Crabsurd
Dec 19, 2006
Chloe hiccuped soooooo much when I was pregnant. It was obviously visible, and I pointed it out to my replacement at work, who thought it was gross. She also hiccuped a lot (multiple times a day sometimes) as a newborn and really hated it, but hardly gets them any more (six months old).

Baby hiccups are so cute. :3:

Crabsurd
Dec 19, 2006

Pluto posted:

You know the flipping baby thing brought up a concern I had for a while. Do you HAVE to have a cesarean if the baby is breech? What if you refuse? My mom told me I came feet first and was born vaginally with no problem, so I don't know why it's such a big deal now.

Edit: I was her second child (first one came head first) if that matters at all.

There are different breech positions and some of them, eg. footling breech, are pretty risky positions for vaginal delivery. Delivery of breech babies can be dangerous because the head (which is the biggest part) stays up in the birth canal while the body is out. So if the head then gets stuck, you have a problem. I believe the cord would also be half out/half in, and so could become compressed.

While it is possible to deliver breech babies vaginally, I personally wouldn't risk it, and most doctors wouldn't either. Just too many ways for it to go wrong.

Edit: Beaten, but there you go!

Crabsurd
Dec 19, 2006

A Serious Woman posted:

Have any of you used nipple shields? If so, were you ever able to transition to not using them? I'm also concerned with my oversupply issues. There's no way Zoey can keep up with me but I'm scared about engorgement and blocked ducts. The LC suggested I cut back how much I'm pumping but I'm scared about developing problems if I don't properly drain my breasts. Have any of you had these issues?

Also, the LC suggested that she has a minor tongue tie. She referred us to a doctor to have it looked at but I'm weary of having the procedure done. My midwife said she's not tongue tied at all. So, I guess I'm just a little confused. Have any of you had your child's tongue clipped?
I used nipple shields for probably two or three months? I can't really remember, but we definitely managed to wean her off them just fine. Once I thought she was ready and would accept it, I started trying a few feeds here and there without the shield. Or starting a feed with the shield, and then whipping it off partway through and latching her back on quickly.

FITD gave you a good link about oversupply. Midwives in the hospital also told me only to pump for relief/comfort, rather than to completely empty the breasts (I did that, and I've never gotten plugged ducts/mastitis). Otherwise you'll just stimulate milk production. The Kellymom website also has good pages about engorgement (and plugged ducts) if that's a problem.

How old is Zoey? They have a few growth spurts early on, so you might end up feeding for hours at a time (or what feels like it), which might help do something to empty you out. ;) Nah, but oversupply does usually fix itself after a few months anyway.

About the tongue tie, I would say that if it's not affecting her feeding, it's not really significant enough to warrant a procedure. You could always get it checked out just in case though.

Crabsurd
Dec 19, 2006
AlistairCookie, congrats!

I was chicken and used nipple shields (nipples were peeling, grazed, very painful, scabby :gonk: ), which helped them heal. When she was a wee bit older and more pro at latching, I weaned her off them. Some people don't like the idea of them because they're scared they won't be able to wean the baby off, but I personally had no problems.

It will get better though, you can be certain of that!

Crabsurd
Dec 19, 2006
Your wife only has a week off? :aaaaa:

There usually isn't very much colostrum, but you need to let the baby suckle as much as possible right now to stimulate the milk production. It'll be much easier to pump once her milk comes in properly. But for now, I would just leave the pump and let the baby do all the work. If she needs to, just sit on the couch all day feeding.

I would let the baby feed at the breast as much as possible. Maybe give a bottle or two a day once the milk comes in if you're concerned about the baby not accepting it later. I wouldn't worry too much about that though; I think it's easier to get them to take bottles the younger they are, and a week is pretty young. (Although this is just in my personal experience; someone may need to correct me.)

Good luck - I hope you figure something out!

Crabsurd
Dec 19, 2006
Yeah, liquid formula has only really been a thing here (in NZ) for the last two or three years I think. Powdered formula is BY FAR the most widely-used here, so I wouldn't worry too much about it being unsafe.

Crabsurd
Dec 19, 2006
A Serious Woman, your pumping output doesn't necessarily indicate your milk production! A baby is MUCH more efficient than a pump, and I know some women's ability to pump drops off over time. Oversupplies usually correct themselves after a few months; are you sure that it's not just this that has happened?

I had an oversupply at the beginning (I used nipple shields too for the first two or three months, FWIW), and now it's pretty much normal. I can't pump very much at all though, even though I definitely do not have supply issues.

I don't know how old your baby is, but every three hours is a pretty standard amount of time for feeds. And young babies can sometimes take aaaaages to nurse. I was pretty much tied to the couch for the first couple of months and hardly ever went out because Chloe nursed so frequently and slowly. They also have about a bajillion growth spurts in those early months, which can drag things out a bit.

So what I'm saying is, you might not have supply issues at all. :) You might want to check with a lactation consultant, and get your baby weighed after a feed to see how much she's getting, for peace of mind. I would just encourage you to let baby suckle whenever she wants, and that will help your supply.

Crabsurd
Dec 19, 2006

Helanna posted:

Are these glucose tests done for everyone, or just for specific reasons? I've never heard of them before.
Here in New Zealand they do them for everyone (unless you choose not to do it).

Crabsurd
Dec 19, 2006
Just coming in to add that five week is quite early in terms of symptoms. It took me until about seven weeks before I started feeling sick and everything. So you may not even WANT to run that much if you're one of the unlucky ones who suffer from morning sickness (or sore boobs, or excessive tiredness). At nine weeks, all I could do was lie on the couch and sleep. :( And not jiggle around too much for fear of shaking all my stomach contents up.

Crabsurd
Dec 19, 2006

Gumby Orgy posted:

They are going to watch it to make sure it goes down. If it doesn't, they say that they will look at other options after I pop my alien out. I'm not sure what that means, but I am guessing that they didn't want to freak me out.
I had a roughly 9cm long ovarian cyst throughout my pregnancy. It didn't have any effect on the pregnancy or birth. They watched it after I gave birth to see if it would go down, and it never did (I think it got a bit bigger). Anyway, like bam, I had laparoscopic surgery and it was a piece of cake - I was out of hospital a couple of hours after waking up. Aside from a bit of discomfort from the gas they pump in there, it was completely fine. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabsurd
Dec 19, 2006
I was in a hospital because I was induced. I started out with two people and a backup midwife, then my regular midwife swapped in. I had an epidural and so had various anaesthetists in and out. I know there were a few obstetricians in and out too, but I wouldn't be able to tell you how many. As for how many people were in the room when the baby was actually born, I have no idea. By that stage I was so tired I really wasn't paying attention and did not care. There may have been some doctors and midwives who cleaned the baby up (I did get to hold her first!) while I got stitched up. But yeah, if you're at a birthing centre it'll probably be different (barring any complications). :)

Man, that just made me remember how out of my mind with exhaustion I was during labour. Although it lasted 17 hours it feels like a huge blur and there is a lot I don't really remember. Glad I have pictures even if I did look like a sweaty mess. I may or may not have put on light makeup the morning of my induction (I honestly cannot remember), but after the intense physical exertion of pushing for an hour, it all melted off and I looked terrible anyway. Those first raw, unedited pictures of me meeting my baby are special though, and it's really nice to have them. You don't have to share them if you're vain about it.