Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007
Making the world a better place... with cookies!
http://www.askdrsears.com/ and car-seat.org are also great resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007

LuckyDaemon posted:

Bradley classes would be awesome, but we can't afford them.

I feel like I could learn a lot from a book, but I'm not sure. If you took classes, do you think you could have done without?

If you can't afford Bradley classes how are you going to afford the epidural? Seriously though, if that's your only hurdle give the instructor a call and see if you can work something out. I did take Bradley classes, and honestly? I don't know. I'd like to think that I could have done without, but my husband could not have provided the level of support that he did without them. He would have been freaking out. But with them, he was a rockstar and I really don't know if I could have done it without him learning what the classes taught him.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007

untitled posted:

It's easier to give up an hour and hold him than deal with cranky and overtired baby fallout.

A THOUSAND TIMES THIS. I still have to lie down with G sometimes for his nap, and I'll keep doing it as long as I have to. Worth it.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007

Phooney posted:

It's like evolution... you adapt to suit your environment perfectly, then the environment changes! :argh:

Kids really are like this. As soon as you figure out the program, they change things up on you. I think we've been through 4 different brands of diapers over G's life for various different reasons.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007
Mine lasted until 10 months and my hairdresser freaked out. She told me I didn't have much left to lose up top and that I should call the doctor. I'd been kinda worried anyways, so I made the call. Turns out I was anemic.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007

VorpalBunny posted:

I have no idea if they ever do a post-delivery comparison between estimates and actuals, but I bet the results would be hilariously off-kilter.

I've read that ultrasounds can be up to two pounds off in either direction.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007

A Serious Woman posted:

I guess my questions are: Have any of you dealt with a baby who wouldn't stay latched on?

Congratulations, and what a beautiful name! So glad that she is OK now, that must have been so scary!

Two thoughts on the not staying latched: Are you sure she's hungry when you try to feed her? She might just want to comfort suck and get upset when the milk starts flowing. She's pretty young for a pacifier if you're trying to breastfeed, but you could try letting her suck on your finger instead. The other thought, since she'll take a bottle, is that she might have nipple confusion. She might be getting frustrated that the milk won't come fast enough.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007
For the won't take a bottle crowd, cup, syringe, spoon, or finger feeding are also viable alternatives. G went through a phase for a couple of months where he wouldn't take a bottle, so we gave it a rest. But when we tried again, he did fine with it.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007

Fun Times! posted:

I was talking to a friend today and the topic of home birthing came up. She claimed to be slightly opposed to hospital births (excepting complications) as home birthing is "more natural." Having not read much into the topic, my initial thoughts are that hospital births must be much safer for the child and mother. Can someone help educate me?
I feel that hospitals are more modern than home births, but I admit that I have almost no knowledge of how they happen. Is anesthesia used? What about after the birth, is the baby then taken to a hospital? Is home birth a question of safety at all or merely culture?

Anesthesia is sometimes used, depending on the hospital, physician, mother's circumstances and mother's wishes. I feel that it's used far too often. Sometimes after a home birth the baby goes to the hospital, if necessary, but I believe that most of the time the baby stays at home with its mother and goes to the pediatrician a day or two later. Some people are of the opinion that homebirthing is actually safer when a midwife is present because there is far less risk of unnecessary interventions.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007

Fire In The Disco posted:

During pregnancy, your OB is your primary care physician, and I have heard of some OB's getting pretty testy if their patients talk about going to see their old PCP during pregnancy.

I actually still saw my OB for almost everything in the first year post-partum because I wanted someone who was very familiar with what drugs were OK to give to a breastfeeding woman.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007

opie posted:

I don't have a primary care doctor because we moved here while I was pregnant and I haven't needed anything other than an ob. Anyway I called the nurse at the ob office and she said I could take sudafed and plain robitussin, and if I was still all congested after a couple of days then I should go to urgent care and make sure I don't have an infection. I figure I'll start with the sudafed and see how that goes.

You can also try Breathe Right strips and a humidifier in the meantime. Hope it clears up without you having to go to Urgent Care!

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007
You are doing fine, whoever is telling you to put a two week old baby on a schedule is a moron.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007

AlistairCookie posted:

Even though Liam (nickname pending...right now Daddy is liking Starvemaster 3000) is our second, I am feeling very inept at feeding him for the moment.

Ours is InsatiaBaby or Bottomless Pit Baby :3 And you are doing a great job, you're not inept! Nursing is hard!

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007

A Serious Woman posted:

So I've finally figured out how to wear Zoey in our Moby wrap and she's loving it! I can't believe that it allows me to "hold" her hands free and get other things done. I think it might save my sanity. That being said, I don't want to wear her all the time. I'm a bit curious for those of you who use wraps, how often are you wearing your baby? I know you can't "spoil" a baby but I really don't want to set the expectation that she'll constantly be held/worn by me. I also realize she's only three weeks old so I know no real habits have been established yet.

I wore G as needed, like if he was fussy and needed to be walked around the house a lot, on errands, or if I really had to do something around the house and he refused to be put down. Sometimes I'd wear him multiple times a day for days in a row, other times I'd go a couple of weeks without putting it on.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007

scheissmacht posted:

We wanted to wait until after the first sonogram was all good before spilling the beans. How common is that? Now that we're telling people some think it's odd we kept it under wraps for so long.

Congrats! And plenty of people wait as long as they can, until they're showing and can't easily conceal it anymore.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007

MoCookies posted:

1. How can you possibly keep being pregnant a secret until the 2nd trimester? I'm a huge blabbermouth, and can't keep a secret to myself for almost any reason. I've already managed to spill the beans to the 3 people closest to me besides my husband (my 2 best friends + my brother). Plus, the minute someone sees me turn down a margarita or a glass of wine, the jig is up. My poker face is no good unless I'm literally playing poker.

2. I'm somewhat ambivalent about this pregnancy, and it feels false to pretend that it was planned and that I'm loving over the moon about it. Obviously, that makes people uncomfortable, since they want to say "Oh, Congrats! You'll be the best parents ever, etc." I'm sure I'm not the only pregnant person that feels more overwhelmed than overjoyed. Am I really just supposed to put on a happy face?

3. I can't sleep. Insomnia ahoy. I just keep thinking about how I'm going to tell my parents, how my to-do list just keeps growing exponentially, and how I need to find/buy baby stuff I don't hate, etc. Is there something I could safely take to chill out, or is it time to brush up on my meditation skills?

4. I'm waiting to get started buying baby stuff until this summer, so what all do I need to be doing right now? I'm switching to prenatal vitamins, and taking supplements, and all that jazz. I've got some health care stuff to work out, but I'll make an appointment pretty soon and meet my midwife.

5. Any baby-related websites that don't make you want to throw up? If it helps, I'm on board with the whole cloth diapering, breastfeeding, natural-childbirth-if-possible motherhood track, and I hate those DD/DS/DH acronyms and the idea of a truckload of plastic crap invading my house.

I hope this post doesn't make me sound too cranky. I've got a great life and a great husband, and I'm looking forward to figuring out how a kid is going to fit in our life together.

1. There is no law that you have to keep it a secret. If you want to tell people, go ahead! If you don't want to, do your best to hold out as long as you can but don't beat yourself up if you only make it a week. As for the drinking, if you're OK telling a little white lie just tell people that you had a sinus infection and you're on antibiotics for it and can't drink for a couple of weeks. That'll at least give you time to figure something else out.

2. Don't fake it if you don't want to. It's not your fault if people get uncomfortable, they can deal with their own generic expectations of what every person should feel in a given situation.

3. In the first trimester, most drugs are off limits. I'd recommend the meditation. If that isn't working out for you check with your OB.

4. Try to drink plenty of water, eat healthy food if you're not having horrible food aversions, get plenty of rest. If you were exercising before keep doing that as long as it still feels OK. If you weren't try to start something gentle before any symptoms start kicking in, like walking or swimming. Try to do anything you enjoy now that will be more difficult after the baby comes. Have spontaneous sex, go to the movies, that kind of thing. Maybe plan a babymoon.

5. There's pretty much only one message board that I know of and I don't know if we're allowed to re-post it, so check a few pages back. The Dr. Sears website and kellymom.com are both tolerable and have great info on breastfeeding. Check into Bradley classes in your area for natural childbirth, they are amazing and several of us here have used the Bradley method successfully to have a natural birth. There are also a few great books on the method if the classes aren't a good fit for you.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007

SAKU loving KOIVU posted:

In other new parent news, I just watched my 5-day old roll over onto her stomach all by herself for the first time. Does that seem early to anyone else? I'm swelling with pride and terrified all at once.

That does happen sometimes, G did it at 9 days old and at 12 days old rolled all the way across my bed, but then didn't repeat it for several months. Usually when they do it that young they didn't mean to and have no idea how to do it again.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007
I had to get my eyes checked early in my second trimester. I was having a ton of horrible migraines and my OB wanted to rule out just needing an updated contact lens prescription. I did, and it helped a little, but didn't end up being the root problem.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007
If you want to give clothes as big as 9 months, that's great and will be appreciated, but I'd go with very non-season specific stuff since kids grow at such different rates. There's no telling when a baby will be able to wear 9 month sized clothing. My son had 12 month sized stuff he could wear when he was only 5 months old, and now at 20 months wears a 4T. Go with plain white onesies that can be worn under layers in the winter, light weight blue jeans, that kind of thing. In fact, I would have appreciated a pack of plain white onesies in every size they make. Onesie extenders too.

EDIT: Book recommendations: The Happiest Baby on the Block; the No-Cry Sleep Solution; Dr. Sears' Portable Pediatrician, Breastfeeding Book if she's planning on breastfeeding, and also his Vaccine Book.

chknflvrdramen fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 23, 2011

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007
I too love that bra. Definitely err on the side of too big though, your boobs are only going to get bigger.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007
It might be because she and her sister have different care providers and hers is more cautious. It could be a combo of the family history and advanced maternal age if she's older. Could be due to a health condition she has. But if you really want to know, yeah, ask the doc.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007

Chickalicious posted:

I told myself I'd get to 6 weeks and I did, and now I am trying to get to 6 months (only 3 more weeks!).

You are doing great! Hang in there!

Setting goals like this is something that really helped me stick with nursing through those tough early weeks and months. My ultimate goal at first was to make it to a year, but when things were really going rough like during a growth spurt and his birthday seemed impossibly far away I'd ask myself how far I thought I could make it. Can I make it another month? Another week? Til the weekend? And if even making it through the day seemed daunting, I'd make my goal to just get through one more feeding and then re-evaluate. I'm still nursing at almost 21 months and it's just routine for us now.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007

MarshallX posted:

Any tips other than sex, bouncing on an exercise ball and taking a walk?

Go up and down stairs.
Go grocery shopping and have her push the cart up and down every aisle, even if you don't need anything from that aisle. Stock up on canned goods to weigh the cart down.
Drive over railroad tracks, pot holes, cobblestone streets etc.
Get her a pedicure- there is a pressure point in the ankle that can induce labor.
Spicy food, thai food, oregano and eggplant are all purported to help move things along.
Lots of nipple stimulation.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007

Ariza posted:

I don't know if it's ok to let her cry herself to sleep or for how long I should let her cry before comforting her. I've tried reading up on it but everything has different ideas and I don't want to screw her up. As I type this, she's in my arms as she has been since about midnight. I've tried her swing and vibrating chair but she just starts crying as soon as I set her down.

I went through this same thing when I was pregnant. I ended up looking at the worst possible damage each side said the other could cause. The no-cryers said that letting them cry could cause the child to be emotionally distant, depressed, and to have trouble expressing their needs in adulthood. The worst I could find from the CIO side was that it would be harder to teach him to sleep on his own the longer I waited, and that he would be "spoiled." I was left to cry in my crib as a baby and have difficulty forming meaningful emotional relationships, have struggled with depression since as long as I can remember, have trouble sleeping, and have trouble expressing my needs. I have dealt with spoiled brats before and know how to fix that, and it seemed a hell of a lot easier to fix spoiling and some sleep troubles than all the emotional crap I've had to deal with. So we went the no-cry route.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007

yawnie posted:

I'm also due in November - Currently 11 weeks pregnant.

Is anybody else suffering from crippling morning (and afternoon, and evening) sickness, and found a magic cure? I'm hoping the magic week 12 that everyone keeps telling me about will mean the end of my nausea. I've tried all of the obvious things (ginger, tea, saltines, eating frequently) and have 2 prescriptions from the doc but it rarely works.

I never found a magic cure, and 12 weeks came and went with no relief. I ended up being sick until two weeks before I delivered. I had one prescription that actually seemed to make it worse, but the second one helped, so if you're already on that course you might just need to try something different. Sea bands helped me immensely, I wore them from the time I woke up until I went to bed, except for in the shower.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007
I like Vicki Iovine's The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy. I don't have a favorite general baby book, but anything Dr. Sears is probably good and I also like The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007
3rding the Johnson's nursing pads. I tried the Lansinoh ones but they were uncomfortable for me, YMMV. Also it's easy to get thrush from the cloth ones if you don't care for them properly.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007

Panne posted:

Not really, the recommendation over here too is no alcohol during pregnancy. I don't see it as paternalistic, it's mostly due to the fact that while most of the time the baby is ok, it isn't really known exactly how much alcohol can damage the fetus.

That and there are some really dumb women who, if you tell them "One drink a day is safe" etc will have one of those giant fishbowl margaritas every day and then sue the doctor when their baby has FAS. EDIT: Lucky, notice I said SOME really dumb women. It's kind of like pseudoephedrine being behind the counter only because some people are druggies and used it to make meth. Whole population suffering for the stupidity of a few.

chknflvrdramen fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 1, 2011

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007

Ana Lucia Cortez posted:

Also, I haven't yet bought a second pregnancy test. Is it really necessary or should I just wait to go the doctor? Is the 99% accuracy thing true?

No, it's not necessary. Just go to the doctor. The 99% accuracy thing is true. The only way to get a false positive is if you were on hormone treatments (not birth control).

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007

foxatee posted:

Oh, I remembered a question I wanted to ask. How can I keep this little bundle of joy from pooping on me? She almost always manages to poop while I'm changing her. The first couple of times, I was completely unprepared for it and she got it everywhere! I've started to put a fresh diaper underneath her dirty diaper in the hopes that I can catch it. So far this has sorta worked if I'm quick enough. Any other pointers? Why does it seem like she manages to hold it in until just the right moment? And why is it always me? :(

Some of the best parenting advice I ever received: When you think she's done pooping, always wait 5 minutes before you change her. Unless the diaper has already leaked.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007

vanessa posted:

Is it normal for first trimester bloating to magically disappear? I'd just gotten used to feeling full all the time, and I woke up this morning and felt thinner/not full, and of course now I'm weirded out because this is my first time doing this.

No cramping or pain, I just went to bed feeling run down and bloated (like I have for the past couple of weeks) and woke up feeling amazing, like I had just had a spa day. I guess I figured the bloating would go away the same way it appeared - gradually, or that by the time it went away, I would be starting to feel full from the baby.

Well I didn't wake up feeling amazing, but I definitely had a morning where I was just suddenly less bloated. It was awesome.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007

Fire In The Disco posted:

We took Bradley classes. They're 12 weeks long, one class a week. It was awesome and I highly recommend them to everyone who asks me about childbirth classes. The sheer volume of information is amazing, and I truly felt prepared for labor.

Ditto here, although the goal of Bradley classes is to prepare you for a natural birth. They do cover pain meds, intervention, and c-sec, but they are really for people who know they want to go natural if at all possible.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007

LuckyDaemon posted:

Get this babby out of me :colbert:

In all seriousness...has anyone had any luck with natural induction techniques? Sex, red raspberry leaf tea, nipple stimulation, etc? I keep reading that none of these things will induce labor unless your body is ready, but if your body is ready than these things aren't actually inducing labor, are they?

I mean are they all just bullshit and any "success" is just pure coincidence?

I mean, I think your body can be ready and just kind of hang out for a while, maybe a few days, maybe a couple of weeks, so natural induction methods probably just get things kick-started if that's the case.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007
G went through a phase like that, where after taking bottles just fine for weeks or months he just suddenly would have nothing to do with them one day. It lasted about 2 months, iirc, and then he started taking them just fine again.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007
Also, if you kinda squish the diaper and it feels crisp or makes a crinkly sound it's probably either dry or fairly dry. If it feels kinda squishy it's wet.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007
Have you tried the rubber band trick and just wearing your belt on a looser notch/buying a bigger belt to get you through? You can do it two different ways. Either put the rubber band through the button hole and loop both sides on the button, or for a little extra space put the rubber band through the button hole, put one end of the rubber band through the other and pull snug, and loop the remaining loop over the button. Cover with belt. Voila!

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007
Depending on the cause of the headaches, prenatal massage and yoga can really help. They can be triggered by foods too, so try keeping a food journal to see if that's it.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007
Re: people being pushy about finding out the gender/anything else: You can tack on an "Our decision is final and it's not open for discussion. Let's talk about something else." if just repeating that you're not finding out isn't enough.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007
I have endo and had abdominal pain, not really cramping, through most of the first trimester that then subsided. I didn't have cramps at all my first two post-partum periods and still rarely even take tylenol for them, almost two years out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007

foxatee posted:

Any suggestions on a chew toy (ha!) for my 13 week old?

Dip a corner of a baby washcloth in water, freeze it, give to baby. A baby spoon is also great.