Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
The server is SynIRC and the channel is #pregnancythread. :) CE, you might want to edit that into the OP, as it doesn't say it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
NCB the Bradley Way is an awesome book. I don't have any experience with the second one.

I did listen to Hypnobabies and I do think it helped me achieve a really zen state while pushing-- to the point that I actually slept between pushes. The nurses thought it was hysterical, and I vaguely remember one saying, "hey, if she can do it, more power to her," or something like that.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
:( I'm sorry it is so expensive; our class was $150, which isn't bad considering it's 12 classes long. I really did love it, though, and recommend the class to everyone I know who is interested in husband-coached birthing.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Apparently it is now searchable.

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 20, 2011

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
No, that group hasn't been active in some time. Since Facebook changed the way the groups work, I believe.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Miss Shell posted:

I found it by searching for SA Moms, so it appears it is searchable (unless I have the wrong one :ohdear: ). I requested to join too (name's Michelle).

Awesome, then I will edit my above post.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Phooney, I agree that it's a good idea not to sweat sleeping preferences early on. Some babies really have a hard time sleeping not snuggled up, especially early. It doesn't mean that it will always be like that. The way things go in those first three months of infancy don't necessarily dictate later habits. Some babies do better with a slow transition as well-- my own daughter went from taking all of her naps on me to slowly sleeping alright in a swing around 4 months to sleeping really well in a swing until 8 months, when I transitioned her to a bed (with no problem). I don't think she would have done well being abruptly pushed into a different way of sleeping earlier.

The Wormy Guy, unless she finds she's sensitive to the ingredients in regular prenatals, getting the generic from Target or Walgreens or whatever should be fine. If they make her feel sick, though, she can talk to her doctor about other options.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I'm not familiar with that one-- is it an actual prenatal and not just a women's vitamin? The extra folic acid in prenatals is very important.

vvvv Oh, right on.

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 23, 2011

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
You may not like the idea of them, but I will say-- cloth diapers are excellent for stopping blowouts. The covers or all-in-ones generally have elasticized legs and waists, and that really contains poop better than disposables.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Iiiiiiinteresting. Does he seem to have a large quantity of urine? I hope that cloth works better when you do switch to it!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Congratulations, A Serious Woman! So glad to hear she is well after such an ordeal.

I agree that nipple confusion can be a big issue, especially so early. Try cup, syringe or spoon feeding instead.

The times that she is latched but falls asleep quickly, you can do something like stroke her ear, pat her back, move her leg, move her arm, and so on to wake her just enough to keep suckling. She doesn't have to be fully awake, just enough that she keeps nursing. I had to do this a lot with Cecilia in the early weeks, but by about a month old, I didn't need to do it anymore.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I don't. :( Cecilia never took one, either.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Hospital births are very necessary for some women who have high risk pregnancies, e.g. diabetic women, women with high blood pressure, and so on. If a woman has a very normal, low risk pregnancy, though, a home birth is a totally safe option and is often desired because it allows the woman to have more say in her labor and delivery, and it allows her to have her baby in an environment she feels most comfortable in.

I had written up this humongous long scenario-based post showing some differences between the two choices, but decided it was too long to post her. So if you do want to read it, PM me.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
During pregnancy, your OB is your primary care physician, and I have heard of some OB's getting pretty testy if their patients talk about going to see their old PCP during pregnancy.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
You can hand express the first part of your letdown and then latch her on, if that makes it easier for you. That might be a little more gentle than the pump. Also, block feeding is generally considered the go-to solution for overactive supplies:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

I never used the nipple shield myself, but I have no less than three friends from my childbirth class who did, and they all were able to wean off of them as their babies got bigger and more proficient at nursing.

As for the tongue tie, a lot of babies with very minor ones do fine without getting them clipped. If you find that she continues to have lots of problems latching, that is when I would talk to a doctor, personally.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
It took about 6 weeks for nursing not to be toe-curlingly painful here, too. And then every now and again, her latch will change and I'll be in pain-land again. But it never lasts as long before I adapt.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Is it like that, like all the time? Or does it come and go? If it comes and goes, that is a Braxton Hicks. If it's like that nonstop, then I don't know, and I might be worried myself in that situation.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
My vote would be to get it checked out if you still haven't had any reprieve from the tightness. Better to be safe than sorry.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I know that dream asked you this on the last page, but I didn't see your answer: do you have a crib you can sidecar to your bed? That might be the best of both worlds-- cosleeping without having the baby directly in your bed.

As for the sleep thing, I think sometimes it's really easy to miss sleepy cues, and that chances are one was missed because it isn't very common for a wee one like that to stay up for hours at a time, so she's probably overly tired at this point.

As for the swaddling, how have you tried it? For some babies, swaddling them only works if you latch them on right afterward so they nurse to sleep in their swaddle.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I think I know of a person who used a regular crib (not drop-side) to sidecar-- I think it just depends on if your crib is sturdy without one of the sides on. But I will ask around to be sure.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I wore Cecilia constantly until about 4 months old, because she needed to be held by me and I needed to be able to do stuff. It was a way for both of us to have what we needed. After that she wanted some independent time, so I didn't wear her at home as much but still wore her out a lot. And then she started moving-- army crawling, rolling, etc. By 8 or so months old she was never worn at home, because she always wanted to do her own thing. I don't think you'll be setting in stone any habits that won't change as your baby grows, even if you wore her for every waking and sleeping second of her day right now.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Personally, my mantra has has always been "never wake a sleeping baby." But, if that works for you, run with it. I just wouldn't expect Liam to get the hang of it anytime soon, so you don't get disappointed.

SAKU loving KOIVU, congratulations! I love the name Marigold!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
The closer to complete bedrest you can get, the more likely it is that your blood pressure will stay down long enough for you to get to full term. Good luck!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
We have two 13 gallon trash cans, the kind with pedals to step on to open the lids. One gets regular trash bags for trash and the other gets one of the two diaper pail liners we use for clothes and cloth diapers.

When we use disposables, the one that holds the trash gets stinkier way faster than the cloth one. I'm not entirely certain why that is, but there you go. Also, on the subject of washable pail liners, I hate the one that I have that is elasticized at the top. It's too loving hard to get the diapers out of it and into the washer without touching them. I love my drawstring one (I believe it's Thirsties brand) and next time around I'll probably trash the elastic one and get a second drawstring.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Well sure, but it's not always convenient to go out to the big trash can every time you change a diaper.

Also, all diapers, disposable or otherwise, are supposed to have poop rinsed/shaken off of them and flushed down the toilet before they're thrown in the trash. I doubt most people know that or practice it, but most diaper manufacturer's websites talk about it, though it usually takes a lot of digging to find it.

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 18, 2011

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

chknflvrdramen posted:

That does happen sometimes, G did it at 9 days old and at 12 days old rolled all the way across my bed, but then didn't repeat it for several months. Usually when they do it that young they didn't mean to and have no idea how to do it again.

Same happened to us, though Cecilia did start rolling from tummy to back consistently around 9 weeks. It was a little surprising!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

A Serious Woman posted:

Question about gas. Zoey seems to be really gassy all the time and sometimes, she seems like shes in pain. I try burping her often when I feed her but she almost never burps. We tried gripe water last night and I think it made a difference. How often can you use gripe water? I would also prefer not to use it as a long term solution either. She's a month old today so I'm hoping it'll get better as her digestive tract develops?

Also, I had no idea how to post photos until now. So, I present Zoey Scarlett at five days old:

And here she is just shy of a month:

Well first of all, she's gorgeous! What a lovely girl!

Secondly, Cecilia was really gassy too, so we dealt with this too. Time is the biggest factor that helps, by around 3-4 months old she'd really outgrown a lot of it. But here are some of the things that did help:

* Wearing her upright in the wrap or after eating. It really helped the burps move upwards and the gas come out the other end, since her legs were froggied up in the wrap
* Lots of time on the changing table (or wherever you prefer) doing knees to belly. Over and over again, slowly but with fairly firm pressure into her belly. She'd fart and fart and fart, and I wouldn't stop until she was done! Then repeat it a couple of hours later.
* For actual burping, I found that sitting her on my leg, leaning her front (at first under her chin, but as her neck got stronger just on her chest) against my hand and burping with the other hand. Also, a lot of times, firm rubs upwards worked better than pats.
* As a final resort, if you notice other symptoms other than the gassiness, like mucousy poops, it might be time to look into an elimination diet for you. Sometimes extreme gassiness and other symptoms mean a sensitivity to food, and the biggest one for babies is dairy.

I hope those help you!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

DaemonWyrm posted:

The more research I do on diaper pails the more it seems like this is what happens no matter what pail you start off with. My worry too is with the twins we're going to be going through twice the number of fancy refills, twice the number of bag changes, and theoretically half the shelf life smell wise so maybe I'll just buy a couple of sturdy cans like these and just bleach as needed.

Babies sure need a lot of stuff...

That sounds like the best option to me. We buy our kitchen trash liners at Costco in bulk, and they're both cheap and strong. :)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

foxatee posted:

IIRC, everyone went hog wild for the moby wrap. Are there any other carriers out there I should consider?

Also, is it worth it to have a changing table? We were thinking of just getting the changing pad instead of spending :megabux: on a whole table. Are we being needlessly frugal?

My husband's cousin's wife highly recommended we get a Boppy and a bebePod. Does anyone own these? Exactly how useful are they? Reviews seem to be great, but again: we'd rather not buy unnecessary items.

====

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow. We'll see if my blood pressure has gone down. Hopefully Peanut is okay in there. :ohdear:

Boppy was a goddamn godsend for me, and we still use if for nursing at almost a year old. It worked well both early on when I did football hold and when I transitioned her to cradle (or "Boppy hold," as I call it).

I never used a Moby, but I did use a non-stretchy gauze wrap at first because it's so hot here it seemed to make the most sense. I got a ton of use out of it, as my daughter did not like to be put down at all, but I liked not being stuck on the couch or doing everything one handed. After a while I transitioned to a soft-structured carrier, in our case a Pikkolo, but Ergo and Beco are other highly recommended brands.

Personally, I would not want to be without a changing table, but I have a bad back. It might vary for other people.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Braksgirl posted:

Yeah, I'm the person that couldn't care less for a Boppy. I'm large breasted and tend to use the football hold over the cradle hold for nursing and the Boppy really isn't good for that. It is great for propping the baby for tummy time and whatnot so it's not totally useless.

I really think it's different person to person, because I am also large breasted and also used football hold at first, and I used the Boppy just fine. It also might depend on the baby-- my daughter was quite small, so she fit fine on the "arm" of the Boppy in football hold.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Our changing table is a dresser/changing table combo as well, from Ikea.

If you REALLY want to save money, consider EC (elimination communication) and cloth diapers. Cloth diapering alone saves you a ton of money over time, and EC saves you even more because you wash less diapers since the baby goes in a potty (or bowl or whatever receptacle you feel like having them go in). I can give you more information if you're interested.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Playful Parenting is also a highly recommended book.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

bamzilla posted:

This is really mostly true if you do it with multiple kids. With one kid, I don't see it saving a whole lot of money what with initial investments and whatnot.

It truly depends on the diapering system you go with. Prefolds and covers will save you a fuckton of money over disposables, especially if you buy used.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I think the Boppy/My Brest Friend thing is totally a personal thing too, as I hated MBF even in th beginning, and the Boppy was perfect for me (and still is).

My almost one year old wears 6-9 month sized clothing, and is juuuuuust barely 17 lbs. They come in all shapes and sizes.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
That's about when I started to wear a nursing bra. I really love this one by Bravado, and it comes in generic sizes (S, M, L, etc), and fits a range. It worked for me during pregnancy and afterward with nursing. Bonus: no underwire, which is awesome because my boobs were so sore during pregnancy.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

AlistairCookie posted:

Good luck to you all and keep us posted. I am much more concerned about her emotional and physical health going back to such demanding work after only a week post-partum than your baby-feeding options. :(

Fully agreeing here. It saddens me to hear that there is no alternative to an exceedingly unreasonable demand, for a woman to be back at work a week after giving birth.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
It depends-- did they give a reason? While it's true that most women are ready at 6 weeks postpartum (and some before that), there are reasons why it should be avoided, which could be as simple as pain and discomfort for her.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

A Serious Woman posted:

Congratulations, Longpig! That's one fine looking baby you have there!!

Ok, Zoey is just over 5 weeks old and breastfeeding is still posing to be a huge challenge. She still wants to eat every 1 1/2 to 2 hours except during the night where I'm lucky enough to get 3-4 hour stretches. That being said, I feel like I'm tethered to both her and the house. I'd love to go out to see people or even just get a coffee and in theory, I have no qualms about breastfeeding in public. However, we're still on a nipple sheild (despite my daily efforts to get her off), I leak out the other boob that I'm not feeding her with, she eats for up to an hour at a time and I have such a forceful letdown about 5-10 minutes in that she chokes on my milk and coughs in routinely in my face. It's not a pretty picture. This just seems to make breastfeeding in public impossible. Everyone keeps saying that it gets easier after 6 weeks but they never say how it gets easier. Like, will my supply regulate and stop choking her? Will she not eat for an hour at a time? Because right now, I feel like I'm at the end of my rope and I really, really want to give up breastfeeding, switch to formula and have my husband help out with the feedings.

First of all, you are doing awesomely. You really, really are.

Around 6 weeks, I remember nursing being easier because she had gotten the hang of it, and we got the hang of side-lying nursing since she grew a little bigger and stronger. That meant I could sleep and she could sleep and dream-nurse and we were both happy! I didn't have an oversupply issue (quite the opposite, sadly), but I do remember hearing that supplies start to normalize after 6 weeks or so.

Have you worn her at all? Do you have a comfortable way of wearing her that she could nurse in as well? I remember my sister doing that-- she'd wear her son in a sling and walk around Target or whatever nursing him the entire time. I never got to do that because of trying to juggle the SNS while having Cecilia in the wrap, but it should be possible for you. There are lots of videos on YouTube on nursing in various carriers and wraps, so maybe you can find one that will work well for you?

If you can stick with it, do it. Remember, it gets easier. As they grow larger, they generally either get more efficient with nursing, so it doesn't take a long time, or they go longer between sessions (or both). Cecilia was also a marathon nurser, but by 6 or so months she was still nursing every couple of hours but was down to 15 minutes tops per session.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Yeah, setting goals is an awesome thing. Cecilia turns one in a couple of weeks, and I am really amazed that we've made it to one and are still nursing what with all the difficulties of low supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
How often do you try to get her to nap? With Cecilia, especially at that age but even sometimes now, when she shows signs of being tired, she's already overly tired. But if I catch her before she gets to that cranky tired stage, getting her to sleep is a lot easier. And I'm going to reiterate a wrap or sling, because that can help with sleeping as well.