Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Has anyone been apprehensive about telling family/friends about their pregnancy?

It's still earlyish days for me yet so I have a couple of weeks up my sleeve until the Nuchal scan, after which we're going to start spreading news.

Thing is, my mother does not like babies so I am expecting her reaction to be less than impressed.
Plus I haven't been 'taking it easy' work-wise and have still been doing all the same stuff I did beforehand, so anticipate a lecture from a number of people about that.

Any hints/tips to deal with it? Did you just suck it up and tell them without worrying about the consequence?
Did you tell them in a subtle manner (Happy Birthday Grandma card or something) or just blurt it out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
So, I managed to burn myself decently at work a week ago and have had to go to the local medical centre every day for dressing changes and monitoring, fun stuff.

During the last week of bandage off/bandage on it has become apparent that I am allergic to every kind of tape they use, even band aids.

Beforehand though, I never had any issue with band aids or other medical sticky things. One nurse has said it's because I'm pretty fair (my burns are on areas which don't see much daylight - stomach & thigh) but I'm not convinced.

Is this just a thing that can happen during pregnancy? Has anyone else suddenly become allergic to various things?

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
I've been slowly gathering a variety of little things - shirts, pants, socks, singlets et al. At what point do you rip all the tags off and throw them in the wash? Did you do it soonish or wait until just before your due date?

While browsing the baby aisles I've noticed these Gaia products around the place lately, has anyone used them at all?

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Late Tuesday afternoon I went in to get induced at the 41 week mark and got the first shot of gel.. which turned into an emergency c-section 6 hours later.

Soren Thomas was the result - a happy little dude so far so long as he has pants on. Remove the pants/nappy and it's the end of the world as he knows it.

I was in hospital for 3 days, in which every feed was monitored by a midwife trained to help with latch and hold advice. I was told that if it hurt the latch wasn't right, so you had to disconnect then reattach until they got it right - there's a bit of manipulation on my part. Essentially they said you have to squeeze behind your nipple until it is at a size they can easily get a good hold with a decent amount of areola (sort of flattening it a bit so they can get more above & below). Then not to let them have it until their mouth is open wide so they learn how to 'get a grip'.

It seems to be working for us so far, I've not got any pain or tenderness and I'm on day 5.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Do babies tend to have regular or irregular breathing patterns?

We've noticed that Soren tends to have large pauses every so often, followed by a small sigh, a couple of deep breaths then returning to rhythmic breathing.
We have one of those AngelCare monitors and it was enough to set it off twice the other day - after bolting down the hallway in a panic he was being squirmy after the alarm disturbed his sleep - no issue otherwise.

We've had him home for just over a week and it hadn't happened until then.. but it was a bit warmer and he was very sleepy after not sleeping much through the day the day beforehand.
Would that be a combination of super sleepy baby and basking/relaxing in the heat?

Is the weird breathing pattern something we should be concerned about?

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
I'm not in the US but the hospital I had Soren in had ID brackets on both our wrists and ankles, as well as a sticker on his back which essentially said "Property of Iwik." with our ID numbers and stuff.. the thing seriously took a week to come off once we were home. It was stuck fast.

Also you had the baby right beside your bed - as long as you could sit, you could grab them.
I had a spinal block with my c-section, so the effects wore off fairly soon after getting back to the ward. I was pretty mobile from the waist up shortly afterward and was up having a shower within the day.
The midwives were in doing checkups every hour or so, so there is no way you could miss a crying baby, purely because they woke you up doing blood pressure & temperature readings all the time. And if you were having problems with feeding, they were all trained as consultants and could help. It was brilliant.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Oh wow, that is awesome.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Ours lost 10% of his weight in the first 2 days too, before we left hospital. If he had lost any more than that we weren't allowed to be discharged until it was back up again.

At the foot of my bed I had a couple of binders with my chart and the baby's. His had a spreadsheet that I filled in each time I fed (what time & how long) and changed nappies (what time, what was it filled with).
The dedicated LC that came and saw me on day 2 checked the chart and said that because their stomachs are so tiny (like a marble) and they don't get a whole lot of liquid in with purely colostrum, her general guideline was 1 day old: 1 wet 1 poo, 2 days: 2 wet 2 poo, 3 days: 3 wet 3 poo etc.. as supply increases and your milk starts to come in. As long as you were roughly on track she was happy.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Did/does anyone else's kiddo hate sleeping in their cot through the day? Or did you have them with you in a bassinet/moses basket?

He's 6 weeks now and has always been fine at night time, will go down like a champ almost every time he gets put to bed. He doesn't even have to be fully asleep to nod off in there - I tend to feed then change then put down. Sometimes he's still 'aware' and just sort of chats to himself and wiggles/gets comfortable until he drops off - maybe 5-10 minutes.

But through the day he seems to hate it. You can put him down sleeping and he'll be down for 10-15 minutes top, before starting to squawk. Yet, pop him on the couch in one of those U-pillows and he'll snooze for ages.

I would like for him to sleep in there more through the day, he can be tired, yawning his head off but still will not sleep. Any suggestions?

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Is there an additional way to help babies develop their arm strength apart from tummy time? You can put Soren on his stomach and can see he wants to crawl and not just lie there, but because he hasn't got a huge amount of strength in his arms yet, his legs will move, shuffling him along a bit and then he'll get super pissy because his arms aren't keeping up. You get 5 minutes at the most until the yelling starts.

At 2.5 months now he is still too small to start properly moving though, also he's extra super keen on standing. He's been bearing his own weight since he was about 5 weeks old - all you have to do is help him keep his balance - he's been holding his head steadily for almost the same amount of time. It's his most favourite thing to do.

He just got a Jolly Jumper and we put him in it for a few minutes at a time, he loves it and goes off like a frog in a sock. It's hilarious to watch. Again, I know it's early but his head control is awesome and we watch him carefully (we got the one with the new seat design and he is firmly strapped in with elastic, velcro and a few buckles.. no way he can fall out of the thing.) Plus it means I get a break from holding his hands while he stands on my lap and jumps/stomps his feet and can actually finish a cup of tea while it's still warm. Small victories.

He is still wearing most of his 0000 sized clothing still, which is nice because at least it all lasted more than 5 minutes.. nice compact little fellow.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
I didn't really start showing for ages, then I think around 22 weeks was when I thought I looked more pregnant and less 'had a big lunch'.

Though, all the weight I put on was pretty much just around the baby, and it wasn't obvious from the front/back - really only side-on.

The thing I found funny was that I was working at the cafe till I was 38 weeks, then when I disappeared and people asked where I was and were told I was on maternity leave, there were quite a few that were all "WHAT!? She is/was pregnant!?"

These were people that were in all the time, regular customers, or regularly travelled with me over.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

Ratatozsk posted:

General question here for those a few weeks/months post-partum - when did you start taking your kids out in public? Was this based on your own comfort, or were you given particular guidelines by your pediatrician?

We went home via IKEA so we were out and about at 3 days (wandering around still wearing our hospital bracelets). Then the hardware store the next day (we were in the midst of a renovation) then doctors visits. At 1 week I took him on the waterbus to see my parents & friends/coworkers, I was pretty comfortable taking him out by myself. I thought I'd be a nervous wreck when leaving the house with him but it wasn't the case.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Wow CravingSolace, he has so much hair!

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Soren has been doing the standing thing since he was 5-6 weeks old too, also with the awesome head control, which made me think he might be good at movement in general.. but he fails at rolling over and pushing himself off the ground.

At 15 weeks he can now flip from his back to his front but can't get himself onto his back again, so lowers his head in despair and bellows. Especially fun when he decides to flip at 2am. He doesn't have the strength in his arms yet to lift/push himself up so we work on that a lot now, I've been tucking his caterpillar toy under his chest & armpits to lift him up a bit and he's using his arms more now, but he tends to drag them behind him when he pushes with his legs, or when he rolls over & they are at his side he can't pull them to his shoulders again. Yet he's got enough strength in them that he can balance himself standing by holding your fingers/hands. He will raise his chest & shoulders off the ground by arching his back.

I've stopped wrapping him at night now because he's turned into such as wiggle worm while he's sleeping that he tends to throw it off then get it tangled round his legs, meanwhile he's spun 180 degrees, on his side, toward the end of his cot. And how, face down.
I was using a muslin wrap because it's getting warmer here at night, but have just plopped him down in a nappy the last couple of nights because the overnight temperatures are hovering around the 75-85F mark.

Also, this has been a massive news story over here in recent days, no infant forumla in stores because people are buying it by the trolley load to send/sell to China. It's crazy! It was limited to one main brand, but now it's over a few different ones so the shelves are really empty. I know I've had to do the traipse around a few stores, even a couple of suburbs over, to get some for Soren. Supermarkets have now put buying limits in place.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

Mnemosyne posted:

I just started with the purees thing, but so far I'm cooking and freezing things separately in ice cube trays. Then I can combine individual servings when I thaw and heat them up, so I don't end up with a whole lot of something that he may not be a fan of. And it means I can sweet potato and chicken one night while doing apple and chicken the next.

I just started on this the other day, so far I have a few trays of pumpkin & sweet potato mash, plus one each of apple, peach and pear.

I have some peas & silverbeet to do today, plus some carrots. I did have some leftover roast chicken which I was going to puree up with some gravy but, uhh.. it was lunchtime and my sandwich was more important. I can always make more chicken.

I mashed about a tablespoon of banana yesterday to try on him and while he ate it all, he actually shuddered in disgust at one point because there was a lump that wasn't as mashed as the rest.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
The hospital where I had Soren is one of those Baby Friendly ones. They like you to stay in there for as long as possible to get the hang of breastfeeding (I was there 2 nights afterward but really could have been there for up to 4), all the midwives are trained to be able to give you all the assistance you need.
I mean really, you're feeding every hour, they are always around and constantly giving you hints and tips.. the amount of women that had their hands on my boobs kind of blew my mind.

They also had a lactation consultant that did the rounds every day, and had an office you could wander down and see her at.

They also have community health clinics where you can go for more assistance, with a free drop in clinic for babies under 12weeks for sleeping, feeding, or any other issues or guidance.

I think it's brilliant.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
I was admitted to hospital for additional surgery 2 weeks (to the day) after going in to have my son. Pumping didn't work for me while I was in there - well it did for the first try, then nothing after that. Even though I tried it every hour, I still only went home with 2 tiny little bags of milk.

My supply died right off, I tried and tried to get it back but it just didn't want to come to the party. My partner was formula feeding for the few days I was away and so we just continued to supplement. I've managed to be able to give him one decent boob feed per day (first thing in the morning), with at least one other 'snack' and the rest of the time he's on formula.

I have no guilt over giving up majority breastfeeding, I'm quite chuffed I've been able to keep it up for 3 months at the reduced rate even.
I make myself these biscuits to help keep what little I have - I add diced apricot, raisins and dark chocolate chips & a couple go nicely with a cup of tea.

quote:

It's starting to affect her relationship with the baby. She's depressed and feels like a cow or machine that spends all her time with the baby trying to feed him and failing at it.

That's how I felt after coming out of hospital. It was a great relief deciding to use formula and know that the kiddo is getting fed, getting fat and getting happy. It meant I was a lot happier too. I could enjoy feeding him, and decided there was no point feeling awful or guilty that I couldn't feed him completely myself. poo poo happens and I could get hung up on it and feel miserable, or accept it and move on. His birth was a bit of a surreal experience and I have the same frame of mind about that too.

Plus it means that my partner, parents and close friends can all bond with him over his feeds as well.

Edit: Had a typo.

iwik fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jan 16, 2013

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
I was really lucky, I work in a cafe and during my entire pregnancy did not have a day of sickness. I had no food/smell aversions or any weird cravings, which was bloody fantastic considering Mon-Fri I was the barista, weekends I was the cook. I was surrounded by coffee and bacon and fish and all manner of other smells.

My only problem was that I couldn't drink hot coffee, not because of the taste but because it gave me a weird.. buzz? I dunno, it felt like I had a buzzy hum running through me afterward, like I was holding an electric fence.
I could drink the same espresso shot in cold milk and be fine though.. so I had an iced coffee every day. Hot tea was also fine.

I also couldn't get enough M&M's in my last few weeks. I ate so many many little coloured candy coated chocolate bits.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Wow, congrats!

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
My 16 week old son's lovely, mellow vocabulary has been replaced by that of a pterodactyl.

And he likes the sound of it.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

Greycious posted:

My mom and I both think it is a girl. I just have this feeling it's a girl, I've had it from pretty early on. I'm starting to get a little worried that if it isn't a girl I'll be a little..confused for a couple days. I've been trying not to get it so stuck in my head that it is one sex or the other but I just can't seem to shake that it is in fact a girl. :confused:

Has anyone else felt like they just knew the babies sex like that? And...if you were right or wrong? I feel so dumb for getting so set on thinking it was one or the other. It just sort of happened :shobon:

I didn't find out the sex at any of my scans and went for the surprise package. Almost everyone thought I knew what it was and just wasn't telling, when they asked what it was I'd just reply with "You'll know when I know. *shrug* "
I didn't think it was one or the other, every time I went shopping I'd veer toward the different areas of the stores, one day girl stuff the next boy.

I did have a dream that I had a little boy and that his father had absolutely no genetic input whatsoever, which funnily enough is similar to what happened. The only thing we can really tell that Soren got from his father is his eyes (shape but not colour) and his long monkey toes.

I also dreamt that I had a girl and my little girl dog was very annoyed because she wasn't my 'little baby girl' anymore.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

skeetied posted:

The lactation consultants at the hospital I delivered at highly recommend Tommee Tippee for breastfed babies. I used them for quite some time and didn't have any complaints.

I did researchy things before Soren came along and grabbed a box of the Tommee Tippee 'Closer to Nature' series for expressing - it had a pump and bottles. Now that he is comp feed I bought more of the same in differing sizes (a microwave steriliser pack with more bottles included, plus some extra) & he goes between boob and bottle with no issues whatsoever.

The cool thing with them is that there is a little sippy cup called an 'Explorer' in the same series for when they are 4 months+ and it has a removable handle that fits the bottles as well, now that Soren is attempting to hold his own bottles the handle comes in really handy because of his little hands.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

ChloroformSeduction posted:

.. My poor baby will need surgery to remove her scrotal sack!

I actually guffawed aloud at this, because that is exactly something I would have thought.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

CravingSolace posted:

So, I have a question. Stephen is 18 weeks old and is drooling constantly and needs to always be gnawing/chewing on something. Either his fists, a toy, his paci, etc. He's been a bit crankier lately, too, but nothing horrendous. Is it possible he's teething? My mom said that I cut my first tooth at 4 months, but apparently I did a lot of weird things as a baby. I don't see any teeth coming through, but I heard it can take a few months for a tooth to actually cut through.

Soren is in the same boat and has been for about 6 weeks now, he had his 4 month immunisations the other day and the doctor said that yep. That's what's going on. He never used to be interested in a dummy/paci but now he is - sometimes he just wants to suck. I think his ears are playing up a bit and it helps. Every now and again his cries are scream-like painful ones, so I give him some infant panadol.

Luckily his sleep isn't being affected by it just yet. We can see little white areas underneath his gums which come and go and you can feel lumps along his gum line where I guess the toothy pegs are coming through. it almost feels like there are several teeth coming up at the same time when you look at & feel the gums.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
tse1618: Congrats on your little cherub there.

Stretch marks: I rubbed that cocoa butter moisturiser on myself when I thought about it, so not with too much frequency. As far as I was aware I had none when I went in to hospital to be induced. But once I was home I had a couple of light ones just below & either side of my navel. I don't know if they were there beforehand or not, or if they happened during my c-section when they really push down on your stomach. But eh, I'm not fussed.

I can't remember what I did during my first trimester, I didn't tell anyone and I worked at a job where I was on my feet all day cooking, making coffees, serving and lugging the tables in and out each day. I did have a coke or two through the day as a bit of pep. I was one of those annoying people that kept working until I was 38 weeks, and the only reason I stopped then was because my coworkers were afraid I was going to have the baby behind the counter, heh. Each day they would assign various roles to each other. "You! Boil water. You! Get towels. I have the tongs! *snap snap*"

In my last few weeks of pregnancy I was losing about 3 pounds a week, so overall I think I only gained about 12-15 pounds. It appears to be normal, my doctor wasn't worried at all. The only annoying thing was that after all was said and done, I ended up lighter than before I was pregnant so all my comfy maternity pants were too big and fell down. Boo.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
I also found that if I was busy or preoccupied with something I wouldn't notice movements as much because I wasn't actively paying attention.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

Haydez posted:

We've had a girls name picked out for a long time, but no luck on boy's names. She won't let me name it THOR like I want. Argh!

I read on several of those various name sites that Soren (the name we used for our boy) means 'god of war' and 'thunder' in the Danish & Norse culture.
So that was close enough to Thor for us, hah.

We haven't spelt it the traditional way though, because if we were actually in Denmark & surrounds it would be fine.. here I think it would be confusing, I don't see it done very much. So we'll leave it up to him and if he wants to spell it as Søren when he's older then it's fine with us.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

Sockmuppet posted:

It actually comes from the name Severinus, meaning "serious", "strict", so it has Latin origins, not Norse.

Thor/Tor means thunder (Tor was the god of thunder), Ty/Tyr and Odin were the principal war gods.
Tor was bellicose, but didn't figure much as a war god.

I'm sorry, I'm a bit of a nerd. It's a very nice name, regardless of its origins :)

Yeah, I knew that too, it was actually the first meaning I found. Either of them fit though, he's a very serious/stern little fellow.. with thunderpants.

I tell people both meanings when they ask *shrug*. I'd read somewhere that Soren was the Danish word/name for Thor.. dunno how true that was.
Then last night when I was re-googling, somewhere else had mentioned it as being of Norse origin too, perhaps just because of the (questionable) Danish meaning.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Perhaps see if your anaesthetist will let you get your next spinal lying down?

I had the sitting up spinal for my c-section (the description re: the stuff going in - my guy said 'You will feel some warmth in your bottom, like you have wet yourself' which is very accurate).

I had to have another spinal 2 weeks later to have an abscess surgically taken care of and the lady I had then let me get it while lying on my side - it didn't have that really weird feeling to it like it does when sitting up. No warm butt.

She gave me the spinal instead of a general because I was breastfeeding, she said she doesn't like putting breastfeeding women under if she can help it it gets into the breastmilk a bit and makes babies sluggish so you have to pump and dump & she tries to avoid that.

iwik fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Feb 3, 2013

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

Sockmuppet posted:

(I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be difficult, this just ticks all my nerd love boxes :ohdear: )

No worries.

KidSpot.com.au said it's the Danish form of Thor.

Think Baby Names mensions the roman also mentions Old Norse.

BabyCenter.com.au says it means 'God of War'.

So it's sort of everywhere. Does it ring true at all or are these sites peddling lies.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

Sockmuppet posted:

I need to ask my old etymology professor about this, out of sheer fascination.

I'd be really interested to know what your research comes up with, you've got me super intrigued now.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Can teething cause babies to become a bit vomity?

In the last week my little guy has been bringing up some of his milk, only a tablespoon or two worth, up to a half-hour after eating.
Sometimes it's after he's been a bit active and other times he brings it up while just sitting/lying down.

I'm trying to keep him settled for longer after each bottle so he's not jumping/wriggling around too much and causing himself to be sick.
It looks like cottage cheese mixed with a mucus-type something (sorry if that's gross). I was thinking perhaps because he's a drool machine at the moment, he's swallowing a lot of it and that's what's making him ill.

He's happy otherwise, there's not any excessive grizzling/crying/general upset other than with his gums. There's no temperature.

Is this just a thing that happens?

Should I be asking this in the parenting thread because he's 4 months now? I forget how old the cut off is for this one.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

Cathis posted:

I'm about to head over to the parenting thread this weekend, but I have a baby barf question. Aibhilin has been barfing two o more hours after eating lately. She doesn't seem distressed by it, but 2 hours after eating seems odd to me. It's several tablespoons worth usually. Is this normal o should I give the doc a buzz? She is 3 months Old.

Soren did this for a bit lately too, I think it's because he's extra drooly and is perhaps swallowing a bit of it which just isn't sitting right and then urp, up it comes.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Links!

quote:

The shittastic Gerber cloth diapers you buy at Target leak easily and the pee goes right through, yes. This is why you never buy cloth diapers from a major retailer. They're good for burp cloths at best.

REAL cloth diapers (prefolds) are multi-layered (usually in 2-6-2 or 4-8-4, which is the number of layers on the side-middle-side, respectively) and 100 percent cotton twill that quilts up nicely when washed a few times. These diapers are very absorbent. However they still need a cover of some sort, be it the traditional 'plastic pants' people think of or the state of the art Bummis Super Whisper Wrap which is made of the same stuff as waterproof jackets/windbreakers and velcro so you never actually need to use pins. Its the cover that keeps the diaper from 'wicking' or allowing the wetness inside to get out. The diaper will feel wet to the touch but the cover keeps it contained. When a diaper is absorbent enough it doesn't leak. For instance my 11 month old son has the 4-8-4 premium sized ones and he has yet to have it leak. His infant-sized one leaked once, which is when I knew it was time to bump him up to premium. The premium-sized should do him until he's potty trained.

As search is temporarily disabled, I'll point you to some helpful cloth diapering FAQs including how-tos on folding them for wear, washing, buying etc below:
New to cloth? Start here!
What in the hell is a fuzzibuns? Various diapering systems explained
Various prefold folding methods
What to do with dirty diapers (easy method)
Diaper washing (comprehensive method)

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

quote:

Oracle said:

The cheapest option is to forgo all the bells and whistles mentioned in captainOrbital's post and go with plain' prefolds and covers. In my experience, the fancy fitted velco-tabbed closing diapers with all the pretty colors were just not as absorbent as the good ol' fashioned flat ones, and with the flat/prefolded ones you can adjust them to just about any size/shape/rise whereas with the fitted ones you have a lot less leeway as to how long/how well they fit. Best cover I have tried is the Bummis Super Whisper Wrap (which comes in several fun patterns if you're into that, I personally just went with all white cuz its all covered by clothes anyway). Its cheap, waterproof, machine wash and dryable (tho the life will be longer if you hang it up to dry, they dry superfast, like 30m) and you can reuse them until they get poop on them/start to smell like pee. I used wool covers to begin with because I was super uber eco hippie mom, but handwashing/air drying wool covers got old after I started working again so now we just use bummis exclusively and so far so good. I've had one leak-through and it was because I was dumb and didn't stuff a nighttime diaper.

For a newborn, I would, unless you have a history of tiny babies, just go with infant-sized prefolds, as they'll be out of the newborn sized in a few weeks (or, if you have a beast like my kid, never would've fit them in the first place). So the kid swims in them for a few weeks, you'll be fine, I promise. You can go either Chinese or Indian, bleached or unbleached (tho unbleached hide that bright yellow poopy stain a lot better) they all pretty much work as advertised, regardless of where you buy them, they all come from something like a half dozen distributors in China/India. I have unbleached chinese prefolds and they've held up quite well. I've heard good things about Green Mountain Diapers, but just go to diaperpin.com for reviews and vendors and pick one closest to you to save on gas/cost from delivery or whatever. There's lots in the northeast and south, not so many in the midwest, oddly enough. Anyway, to start with I would go 36 infant-sized prefolds and four covers of your choice. With that many diapers/covers, you'd be doing a load of diapers every other day/maybe every two days. Using disposables for travel is what we do, works out fine. We use Seventh Generation diapers (no chlorine bleach, so they're brown) and they fit well and haven't leaked on us yet. We also use them for daycare.

For your infant, just the diaper should be absorbent enough for daytime and nighttime; once your kid hits about 16lb or drinking more than 4oz at a feeding you might want to think about getting some doublers (or when nighttime diapers start ending up leaking from sheer volume). A doubler is just extra material you put into the diaper. We've used everything from cloth wipes (you will be using cloth wipes, right?) to fancy sewn doublers made of organic cloth to infant-sized prefolds folded up and stuffed into a premium-sized diaper. I like the fancy sewn shaped ones, because they add less bulk and are pretty absorbent. Lots of other people swear by polarfleece/microfleece/whatever that fuzzy is called-type doublers. Again, check diaperpin.com, hold your nose and try not to barf at all the cutesy acronyms, and see what reviews say there. Doublers can be washed with diapers (or should be able to be).

Regardless of what kind of diapers you get, BUY A DIAPER SPRAYER. This thing will save your marriage/sanity for the first six months of parenthood. Noone wants to be dunking their hands into poopy toilet water. The diaper sprayer saves you this problem and cleans off diapers with an ease that has to be seen to be believed (it also works later on getting solid food off clothes, as babies tend to love to wear what they eat, and sweet potatoes and squash stain like you wouldn't BELIEVE. Don't even get me started on tomato sauce). Don't think about using it as a bidet, which you will be tempted to do on your poor stitches (should you get any); the water that comes out is COLD.

As far as how to wash them, I would use the dry pail method (i.e. just chuck them in any low trash can with a foot-operating lid, I believe you can get one at Toys R Us for like 10 bucks). If you get a washable waterproof diaper bag to line said diaper pail, you can just chuck it bag diapers and all in the washing machine and reuse that as well (lots of people who sell cloth diapers make these bags or sell them as well, again diaperpin.com). If you're handy with a sewing machine you can even make your own. You shouldn't wash more than 18 diapers at a time; any more and the water can't really agitate around/through them enough to get them really clean. Luckily this is almost exactly the amount that will fit in abovementioned small trash can so you don't have to do a lot of guestimation as to when to wash.

You're going to wash on hot and rinse on cold (double rinse, your washer/dryer should allow for this). Top-loading washers are ideal for cloth diapers as you can let them soak. You're going to let them soak (preferably overnight, at least four hours) in COLD water with 1/2c of baking soda dissolved therein. This kills the germs that cause bad breath. Or well, neutralizes pee smell. Then run two rinses on this, pull out all the diapers, dissolve a large load amount of whatever detergent you're going to be using (All free and clear and BioKleen premium powder are popular) along with a 1/2 cup of washing soda (you can find it in your grocery store's laundry aisle) and put a 1/2 cup of plain ol' vinegar in the fabric softener receptacle. Let the washer get half-full or so, swish the water around real good to make sure the soap is dissolved, and chuck your diapers in. If you're concerned about staining you can pretreat stains before you do this (I do, or did when he was breastfeeding exclusively, because I am anal and planning to reuse the diapers on my next kid. Oddly enough, regular poop doesn't stain and shakes off so there's usually no need, especially with aforementioned diaper sprayer). Let it run, chuck'm in the dryer on high for like 80 minutes and you're done (if you have a heavy duty mode on your washer, wash'm in that if you're squeamish or they're particularly icky, I used normal for most of the my diaper washes and things went fine). If you have one of those he front-loader dealies, look for washing instructions on whatever site you buy your diapers from, them all have them, the above was stolen from one.

As far as how to actually put the drat things on your kid, use a Snappi if you go the perfold route. Most places that sell diapers sell them, they're like five bucks for two. Practice with it a little bit on dolls or complacent small animals or whatever. There are several ways to fold your diaper, I think I've linked to them before but here's a good page to get an idea of the various ways you can collect your spawnpoop.

So, what do we need to start cloth diapering?
-36 infant-sized prefolds (chinese or indian, bleached or unbleached, if you buy those pieces of poo poo Gerber ones from Target I will personally come to your house and snappi your rear end, buy'm online)
-4-6 diaper covers (infant-sized) Bummis Super Whisper Wraps are the best I've used, followed by wool (loveybums makes nice ones and doublers too)
-36 cloth wipes (terrycloth on one side and flannel on the other are best)
-1-2 Snappis (you may lose one, always good to have a spare)
-2 diaper pail bags (one for use while the other's in the wash)
-1 diaper pail (can be any small (knee-high) trash recepticle with a foot pedal)
-1 Potty Pail diaper sprayer (actual pail optional)
-50lb box of your favorite non-bleach powder detergent
-1 box of washing soda
-1 bigass bag baking soda
-1 bigass jug plain white vinegar
-baby

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
I've heard good things about the Ergo brand of structured carrier. I've been told to avoid the Baby Bjorn type ones because of the 'crotch dangling' aspect of them, but I still see many many people around using them.

I have a wrap-style carrier without the hassle - a Baby K'Tan which is pretty easy to use and the little man likes it. It's similar to a wrap in the way you can use it umpteen different ways, but there isn't a thousand feet of fabric to contend with.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

Sockmuppet posted:

Wow, this looks awesome!

Can I ask what size you've got? I'm (well, used to be) an XS/S, and they say on the website to choose a smaller size if you're unsure, but I've had mixed luck with that in the past, and the closest actual store to me that sells them is in Germany.

I went by the size chart they have on their site, they also have the European sizing and because I'm a bit of a chunky monkey I bought the L.

I'd definitely go for a smaller size if you're sort of midway between two sizes. The cotton has a bit of give to it, so it feels a mite snug when you first put it on then it relaxes a little - a bit like jeans, heh.
You're supposed to base it on your pre-pregnancy size, so if your upper body is still a size 4 - minus belly - you'd get the XS.

It's quite comfy to wear and really easy to use. The boy is quite comfy in it too.

I bought mine from that US site and the carrier plus shipping ended up being less than buying it through an Australian site (which had very few sizes & colour choices, none of which what I wanted). There weren't any stores nearby for me to try them on either. I got it in 4 days which I thought was astounding, considering most things take 2 weeks to get to here from there.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Re: Carrier talk.

I saw these Stokke carriers get released a while ago but haven't seen them anywhere to try one on, none of the baby shops I've been into have had them in stock. They look interesting with the inside/outside/back carrying options, and Stokke is supposed to be a good brand. Has anyone had experience with these at all? After all this chitchat I'm considering structured carrier options for when kiddo gets bigger.

Re: C-section talk

I had to have an emergency c-section when I got induced for being past the 41 week mark. Mine was weird though, they applied the first lot of the Prostaglandin gel and 6 hours later they put me on a monitor before giving me the second. In that time I had not dialated at all, I had no contractions, no pains, just the odd braxton hicks type tightening. However, the little dude's heart rate would be up around the 160bpm then suddenly plummet to 115-120bpm and hang there for a bit before jumping back up. After the midwife watched it happen for a few minutes she went and got the doctors who consulted with the head OB and blammo, I was being wheeled to surgery. It was surreal.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Yeah, it was odd. I think their main concern was that there was no reason for his heart rate to be dropping, it would do it every couple of minutes, hang low for about 30 seconds or so then pop back up again. They could see on the monitor that there were no contractions happening that would account for it and I was only 1cm dilated the entire time (despite 2 sweeps in the weeks leading up to it, plus the gel) so they decided the best place for him was out.

They used forceps somehow too, so perhaps he was just wedged in a corner somewhere and couldn't get himself out. Or my body decided that pooping a baby was just not something it was prepared to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Disclaimer: I never had morning sickness or heartburn. None. So, I don't know if this works for sickness or not.
But! I know ginger is good for nausea, and I know when I'm feeling really crap because of a cold/flu bug or something this helps. I drank it often because I had a lot of snuffly noses.

Get 1 cup. Add a swizzle of honey and a few slices of fresh ginger to it (probably 2-3 thinnish ones, you can peel it if you want but I don't bother). Fill with hot water and stir to dissolve the honey. Let it sit for a few minutes to steep (and cool to a drinkable temperature) then sip gently.

It's very soothing.

I don't know if the honey would also make heartburn flare up too though, I guess it all depends on your triggers.

iwik fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 7, 2013