Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Question for Ontario/Canada folks:

I was told yesterday (by my mom lol) that I'm not to smoke any dope after the baby is born until the 'community nurse' pops by for a surprise check to make sure everything is cool and we aren't awful parents. Is this true, i.e. do they really just come by unannounced and check you out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Hi Everyone!

Marigold was born vaginally on Sunday, 8lbs 4oz and 9 days overdue.

Everyone is happy and healthy, she's almost got the latch going every feed, but we have a consultant coming to do hands-on help tomorrow so hopefully mom and baby can get their dance steps near perfect.

I'm not sure if this is an irish tradition or just my family, but we always give a new baby a silver coin when visiting. Here's Marigold clutching one my mother brought, that was given to me when I was born 30-odd years ago.

We're both first time parents and in complete awe of her beauty. Thanks to everyone in this thread who read my venting and answered my questions during pregnancy.

e: We never found out the sex before birth and it made the experience that much more amazing. Highly recommend if anyone out there is on the fence about it.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MoCookies posted:

Thanks so much for your advice and support. I'm feeling much better about being pregnant, and starting to feel like being a mom might be something I'm going to be good at. I also feel super-lucky to be pregnant while we're living in Canada, since apparently I'm not going to have to pay for a drat thing. Also, it's fun to tease my Tea Party relatives that not only are we going to have a Canadian in the family, we're going to use public health care to do it. Ha!

:laffo: Tea Party relatives.

My partner was bemoaning the quality of post-partum care at Mt Sinai in Toronto, a fair complaint because everything up to and including delivery was world-class. Then we remembered that if we were 100miles south we would have a $15,000 bill in our hands and it really made us thankful to be Canadian.

In other new parent news, I just watched my 5-day old roll over onto her stomach all by herself for the first time. Does that seem early to anyone else? I'm swelling with pride and terrified all at once.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MoCookies posted:

I'm curious how long other families use EI and QPIP.

I think Ontario isn't quite as généreux as Quebec, but my partner is taking 4 months and I'm going to take the the other 7.5 months as parental leave EI. Which means I'll be a stay at home dad from roughly July 1 until mid-Feb next year. I'm so loving psyched for it.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Lying to friends and family about being pregnant is perfectly socially acceptable for the first 3 months. We made up the dumbest reasons why my GF wasn't drinking/smoking pot and nobody called us out on it, even though it was perfectly obvious to anyone with an ounce of common sense what was going on.

If people can't understand why you'd lie about it until the 12-15 week danger zone is cleared, then frankly it's on them to stop being such self-centered twits.

e: When you finally do tell your friends and family, in my experience the foolish excuses are something that everyone has a good laugh about together.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MarshallX posted:

Any tips other than sex, bouncing on an exercise ball and taking a walk?

Schedule an induction or C-Section.

Sounds like a joke, but this got my partner to start labour and I've heard of 2 more babys being born on their scheduled day in the last 2 weeks!

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MarshallX posted:

Our OB/GYN's exact words were "We don't really prefer to induce, so we will see you next week!"

I respect him for this as a ton of doctors just want to get rid of you and move on, but other the other hand my wife is all :supaburn:

I wasn't really clear, what I meant was that they all went into labour before the actual induction appointment. Something about that incentive or mental relaxation or something. For the record, we were 9 days overdue so I know what you're going through. By day 7 I can see now that I was going really crazy ( I sent a really not cool and out of character joke about japan earthquake to a good friend, which I still haven't had a chance to explain to him :( ) and my girlfriend had been emotionally bouncing off the walls all week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Well, looks like I'm back in this thread for round 2.

We're feeling a bit guilty because we had dinner with a couple who've been trying for a year now without success. My wife peed on the stick last night after our 1st month of trying and BOOM. We're stunned because we're both 35 now so we thought it would take a few months "work" at least.

I look forward to asking questions about whatever is stressing me that particular day. Getting very excited already :)

Here's a picture of my 2yr old as payment for future answers: