Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009
I mostly lurk but wanted to announce an incoming goon baby! I am going in tomorrow at 5am for an induction due to preeclampsia--but at 39+2 it is not an early induction. I'm a little nervous but mostly excited to meet little Zachary tomorrow:)Thank you ladies for all the information and support that you offered for the last months!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009
I love the boppy for nursing and my husband does as well for making holding and cuddling the little guy a bit easier. I found a my breast friend pillow at a thrift store and I prefer it for nursing. It is similar to the boppy but has a few different features that I like.

I do have a question about the moby wrap, my little guy loves to be held but hates the moby. I don't know if I am wrapping it wrong or if I should just keep trying? He generally likes to be cradled and balks at being upright, but I know that the cradle "slings" are dangerous because of airway issues. Should I keep trying and hope that he starts to like it or is there a better way to wrap it or a better carrier?

Roxy Rouge fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 23, 2011

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009
I was convinced I was having a girl. Everyone around me fed into my belief, telling me that the mom always knows. When I went into the ultrasound and was told "its a boy" my only reaction was "its a who?" I was more stunned than disappointed if that makes sense? I had never pictured in my mind having a son and had a tough time reconciling the visions of being a mom and the little bub being a boy rather than a girl. The fantastic thing is that when he got here I realized that I could never want anything other than my little boy. Not a girl, not a different little boy. My little boy. You will love him more than you can imagine, I promise. It's normal and ok to have a little disappointment at first. When you look into that little face for the first and the hundreth time though, you will wonder what you worried about. Congrats!

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Eponymous Bosch posted:

Tulip Candy- I was in the same position as you except a year later. I have a degree now and a future. I just got married and had no prospects, so I thought 'why not pop out a kid?' Dumb dumb dumb. I'm so glad I didn't go through with it. When I asked other students at my university with kids how it was it sounded so unpleasant. They were always behind or anxious or having scheduling conflicts. They couldn't concentrate on their studies and everyone else in group projects or assignments that involved outside time commitments had to work around their schedule and they were resented by the rest of the students.

I graduated with my BA in theater design but that doesn't pay any bills. So I did some career searching and will be attending a one year bridge program to medical school this fall. When I'm done I will be financially stable, easily employable, and mature. I'll also have an identity separate from 'mom.' 22 is so young, go do fun and interesting things then pop out a kid. "there's no right time" is IMHO is a cop out. Becoming a mother shouldn't be done when you have nothing better to do, it should be something you want to do and do with the greatest consideration.

Slight derail, but where did you find a 1 year bridge to med school with a theater design BA. That sounds pretty amazing.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

lady flash posted:

I had a medically required induction at 37 weeks which is different, but baby was also not in position (other than head down) and my cervix was shut tight. Induction went off without any issues and I had a healthy boy less than 24 hours later. Just a happy story in case you decide to induce.

I alsI had a medically necessary induction at just over 39 weeks. My kid was head down but "sunny side up". Had a mostly uneventful delivery, except the reach in and turn manuver that my doc performed once we realized my son was face up. 13 hours from arrival at the hospital to holding my little guy. Inductions can work out just fine. Congrats to you Baja Mofufu-wishing you a safe and wonderful delivery!

Roxy Rouge fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 27, 2015

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Hi_Bears posted:

I suspect that one reason I'm getting so many tests is because I have good insurance and the doctor knows it. I think many doctors would be more discriminating about what tests they do if they knew you were paying out of pocket. The uninsured probably also choose to get less prenatal care than they should. My husband's employer provides health insurance for us and so far this pregnancy has cost us $30 in copays (initial visit and a genetic counseling session, the rest of my regular visits and ultrasounds were free) but probably thousands to our insurance company. I honestly have no idea what the actual cost is and I think that disconnect is one of the problems in our healthcare system.

I was AMA with my younger son-I was 36. In addition to my age, we have a family history of a congenital heart defect (husbands mom), severe spina bifida (my brother) and down syndrome (my niece) so I was considered high risk. I have great insurance and had an uneventful pregnancy though I did visit the high risk practice that my primary OB sent me to for additional scans/monitoring. No issues except I was induced at 39 weeks due to a slightly elevated uric acid level and slightly elevated blood pressure. I responded well to the induction and delivered vaginally and was home in the usual 2 days. I totalled up the bills and was shocked at the $37k price tag. I paid just shy of $1500 out of pocket.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009
Sorry, nothing to see here except irritation about our litigous society and how it affects medical care.

Roxy Rouge fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 5, 2015

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009
My first induction took 4 hours, the second about 13. My second child was face up and had to be turned though, so I didn't progress as quickly. He was born about 15 minutes after the doctor flipped him.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

sullat posted:

Ok, cool. As long as we get it done by Thursday so I can get the exemption & credit for 2015.

Ha! Hope all is well, congrats! You will for sure have a baby in your arms by Thursday!

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

kbdragon posted:

So I'm kind of freaked out right now. I'm at 8-1/2 weeks and after being queasy almost constantly for at least a week suddenly today I'm not. I'm really hoping the bab(y)(ies) is/are ok and this isn't the first sign that I'm misscarrying. I have an appointment Thurs (mostly to see if it's twins or not) but now I just really hope to see any heartbeats. Two weeks ago there was at least one strong heartbeat which is supposed to reduce the chance of misscarrying to 2%, but now this! Anyone else have morning sickness that suddenly went away?

Don't fret too much if you can help it. I had a couple of blessed days free from nausea intermittently in the first trimester with my second and it made me nervous too, but everything was fine. So it can happen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

skeetied posted:

I flew at 36 weeks (my midwife and the airline gave zero cares, although I think I did have a note just in case) and it was absolutely horrible for this reason. Plane seats suck normally. They extra suck when you're huge and hot and tired and have to pee every two seconds.

When I was pregnant I was traveling a ton for my job. I always made sure to have an aisle seat unless it was impossible. My last trip was outgoing at 37 weeks and incoming at 39 weeks. I had spoken with my doc and he gave me the name of a doc in my destination city just in case. Never had anyone at the airline give me a second glance. Aside from the usual, oh look! You're pregnant!