Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wormy Guy
May 7, 2002
I'm pretty sure I'm going to be a dad in about 8 months!

After two pregnancy tests on separate days we've more or less confirmed that my wife is pregnant with our first child. We hadn't actually been trying very hard, but she went off the pill because a lot of people we know have been trying for years. And we didn't want to have to wait that long. Our goal was to get pregnant within the first two years of being married (we got married last July). So a bit early, but we are mostly relieved that we're actually able to have children.

So far, I purchase three books that have helped immensely in the one day of reading. Having 10 nieces and nephews, I know a bit more about raising children than my wife who has no experience so it's helping her more than me.

So first question: Can anyone recommend to me the best prenatal vitamin for my wife to take? Preferably something I can buy at the store, or if online I guess we can wait. We don't need a doctor to recommend one, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wormy Guy
May 7, 2002

Fire In The Disco posted:

The Wormy Guy, unless she finds she's sensitive to the ingredients in regular prenatals, getting the generic from Target or Walgreens or whatever should be fine. If they make her feel sick, though, she can talk to her doctor about other options.

Thanks, we picked up the Target version of the "One-A-Day" brand that had another bottle of DHA specific pills it in.

The Wormy Guy
May 7, 2002

Aericina posted:

Same here, which is why I went with the gummis. They include DHA in with all the prenatal goodness that comes with it in one chewy.

We almost went with the gummies until we found out it didn't have any iron. Oh well.

The Wormy Guy
May 7, 2002

The Young Marge posted:

Re: cervical dilation before you go into labor - ignore it! It means nothing! You can totally go from zero to baby in a few hours, or you can walk around at 4cm for weeks. Many doctors and midwives don't even perform internal examinations, and there's definitely no way to predict labor based on dilation.

And if it's prior to 42 weeks of gestation and there's no medical reason to be induced, you can just refuse to schedule it. I'm unable to find numbers right now, but the vast majority of women will go into labor naturally by week 42.

My wife went into pre-term labor at week 27 and has been put on bed rest since (not strict bed rest, she just couldn't go to work, but more or less has been walking around fine).

We're at week 38 now and she says she's feeling the best she's ever felt. So we went from "oh god don't walk around the baby might fall out" to "hurry up and let's get this show on the road!"

The wait is killing us.