Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST
So my wife and I found out last week that she was pregnant. So this morning we go in and have her first ultrasound and right off the bat there are two sacks visible. We were prepared for this as she had been on chlomid to help us get to this point. As the tech is documenting the second baby, a third pops up on the screen!

So it looks like we're going to have triplets. I think we're still trying to wrap our heads around this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST
My wife and I had our second of many ultrasounds for our triplets last week. It's hard to get a shot of all three right now, but here it is. This is 10 weeks along.

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST
Well I haven't posted in a few months, but I thought I would give an update. For those that don't know, my wife is just about 23 weeks along with triplets.

Had a few hiccups along the way. At 20 weeks, she started having pre-term contractions and we ended up going to the hospital. We didn't go to our normal one as it's about 30 minutes away, which is where they do the high risk pregnancies. We went to the one that was about 10 minutes away and they gave her a shot of tribulin to stop the contractions and found that she was dialated at 1 cm. They shipped us off to our regular hospital where she was promptly admitted. We stayed the night and she had a cerclage put in the next morning. She was on bedrest for the next few days until her next appointment where she was doing much better.

She is still working, but at reduced hours (20 per week). She is staying off of her feet the rest of the time. We have our 6th ultrasound tomorrow and will get them every 2 weeks from here on out. It's been pretty cool to see them so often.

We really were hoping to make it to 35 weeks, but with what happened we're just hoping to make it to 30 weeks at least.

Oh and we're having 2 boys and a girl :)

From 2 weeks ago:

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST
We told most people right away, mostly due to having triplets makes your wife start showing immediately.

My wife got put on hospital bedrest last Monday and we just hit 29 weeks. She had an elevated blood pressure and protein in her urine so it looks like preeclampsia.

We had another growth ultrasound on Thursday and one of the babies is not growing as fast as the others. Triplet A was 2 lbs 10 oz, Triplet B was 2 lbs 14 oz and Triplet C was 1 lbs 14 oz. C is still growing, but just at a slower rate. He also has a decreased blood flow through the umbilical cord. So every few days they will doing an ultrasound to check the blood flow. If it gets worse, then we may be delivering very soon. One of our doctors thinks it may be in the next week or two.

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST

orinth posted:

We told most people right away, mostly due to having triplets makes your wife start showing immediately.

My wife got put on hospital bedrest last Monday and we just hit 29 weeks. She had an elevated blood pressure and protein in her urine so it looks like preeclampsia.

We had another growth ultrasound on Thursday and one of the babies is not growing as fast as the others. Triplet A was 2 lbs 10 oz, Triplet B was 2 lbs 14 oz and Triplet C was 1 lbs 14 oz. C is still growing, but just at a slower rate. He also has a decreased blood flow through the umbilical cord. So every few days they will doing an ultrasound to check the blood flow. If it gets worse, then we may be delivering very soon. One of our doctors thinks it may be in the next week or two.

Well we have triplets. My wife gave birth last Thursday at 29 weeks 5 days. All three are of course in the NICU and will be for some time. They're a week old today and doing well. All of them are breathing on their own. Little Brendan was only on a CPAP for about 12 hours and has been breathing on his own for 6 days while Trevor got off his yesterday.

I still can't believe that we have three babies :)

Avery - 3 lbs

Trevor - 3 lbs 2 oz

Brendan - 1 lb 14 oz

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST
Sorry I hadn't posted in a while, but our triplets are doing well. They are gaining weight and we're just happy as can be! They've started a little breast feeding and all three have latched on for at least a little bit. They're still being fed primarily through a feeding tube. They are 26 days old now and around 33.5 weeks gestational age.

Avery is up to 3 lbs 14 oz

Trevor is up to 4 lbs 5 oz

Brendan is up to 2 lbs 15 oz

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST

Dandy Shrew posted:

I drink about 4 and a half pint glasses of water a day, so I don't *think* it's dehydration. They just started showing up about a week ago. Not debilitating, but unpleasant. Generally, I'll just close my eyes for a bit and it'll get better.

Could be all the hormones that are flowing now. I know my wife got bad headaches during her pregnancy. They got even worse when she had to take progesterone supplements for preterm labor.

edit: another triplet picture :)

orinth fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 8, 2012

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST

kaishek posted:

That is great advice, and I really appreciate it! Wife was shocked reading that while breastfeeding two the recommended calorie intake for mom is 4,000 calories! Fortunately if there's one thing I have experience in it is eating a lot. :btroll:

Pendragon posted:

I didn't know that, and I think I'll hold off on telling my wife that. She has enough trouble trying to eat enough calories with a stomach made smaller by two babies.

If either of your twins are born early, you will most likely have to do some supplementation with formula such as Similac Neosure. It has a few extra calories per ounce over regular formula and is used to get them up to weight. My wife didn't breastfeed (only pumped) as we were mixing the formula with the breastmilk.

If either of you have any multiples related questions, I can try and answer them. We have 18 month old triplets that were born at 29 weeks 5 days and had a ~6 week NICU stay.

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST

kaishek posted:

Thanks! Yeah we are at 10 weeks now and I can't stop thinking about something a book we had that said that multiples are basically guaranteed to come early...just a question of how early. It tries to get you ready for the fact that NICU stay is pretty likely.

The odds are that they will be in the NICU for at least a little bit although it's definitely possible to skip it. We know another triplet family in the area and she made it to 37 weeks and went home with all three without going to the NICU.

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST

Pendragon posted:

Full term for twins is 37-38 weeks. However, according to Wikipedia, a little over half of twins are born premature, which is anything before 37 weeks. I remember reading that most are delivered around 35 to 36 weeks, but can't find a link.

As for how early, be aware of the possibility, but just take it as it comes. For reference, my wife was 1 cm dilated at almost 25 weeks, and was put on hospitalized bedrest to try to keep the kids in as long as possible. Most doctors thought she would give birth before 30 weeks. During that time, I was reading as much as I can on premature birth, finding out the odds for survival and disability as each week passed. It was simultaneously scary and reassuring. It's amazing to see what they can do with modern technology now-a-days.

Just made it to 34 weeks today, and still going strong. :hellyeah: Wife's still on mostly bedrest, but she's at home now, which is a lot easier than being at the hospital.

I've heard that the uterus can only hold around 12 pounds total, but I'm not sure how much influence that has on when labor starts. It definitely restricts the growth of multiples at least (few are born larger than 5-6 pounds). However, there are stories of normal-sized women giving birth to 8 pound twins, so it's not a hard and fast limit. There's probably a million things that can affect when labor starts, and size is probably one of them, but not the only one.

35 to 36 weeks sounds right for twins, I think it's 32 to 33 for triplets.

My wife had pre-term labor at 20 weeks and was dialated (not sure how much) and had to have a cerclage put in. She went in again for pre-term labor at 24 weeks and was put on bed rest at home. At 26 weeks during a checkup, her blood pressure was very high so they admitted her and put her on bed rest in the hospital until she gave birth.

She ended up giving birth at 29 weeks 5 days due to my daughter being in distress. It's crazy how fast they go from deciding to do the C section to being in the operating room. We have a girl and two boys born 3 lbs, 3 lbs 2 oz and 1 lb 14 oz.

Congrats on making it to 34 weeks! Every day that they're still in there is so good for them.

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST

Pendragon posted:

20 weeks was your first scare? Man, I thought it was scary thinking we were in labor at 25 weeks, but we were at least past viability. I don't want to think about 20. Glad to hear your kids made it out okay.

Yeah it was a bit crazy. Especially when the NICU docs came in and talked to us about viability and what not. We were really freaked out about my wife getting a cerclage since there is a very small chance that we could have lost one of the kids, but everything went well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST

Pendragon posted:

This is excellent advice. My wife got this from family and friends frequently. I had to tell her aunt to shut up because she had a "feeling" it would come a particular week, which happened to be at 34 weeks gestation. :doh: That upset my wife to no end.

Of course, the comeuppance was great when we delivered our twins at 37.5 weeks with the scheduled c-section. :hellyeah:

Did you get weird looks when people would ask how far along your wife is and she was a lot bigger than she "should" be? I think my wife looked around full term around 20-22 weeks (somewhere around there) and people would ask how far along she was and she would reply "20 weeks" and just leave it at that. We got a few weird looks.