Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004
Another suggestion would be to wait until they are sleeping. That way the squirming won't cause any problems either. I also used a very low-grit file to smooth away any rough edges. I'm already working on a file now (just take an old one and then clean it all up for baby).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004
I am due for an eye exam as well but my eye dr told me to wait because it's more than likely that my prescription will change and insurance won't cover the re-exam and the new glasses, so you'll be out the money. It's no big deal for waiting, but I did need more contacts :(

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004
Question for those will baby boys who circumcised. When were they circumcised and who did it? I've been reading different websites and it says within the first 24-48 hours and give a list of who can do it. Just curious as to what the norm was. If local matters, I'm in the states.

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004
Thanks on everyone's answers about circumcision. It's on my list of questions to ask at my next appt.

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004

Juanito posted:

They decided to do one because her mom has diabetes. So probably if someone in your family has had it, they'd want to check you. Or maybe for others, if they see some sort of physical symptoms, they'd check?

I was checked and diabetes is the one major disease that doesn't run in my family. For my OB it's routine to do it for every patient.

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004
Both of my kids had blocked tear ducts. One was unblocked by a dr and the other cleared up on its own.

Question: At what week did you all start dilating? I'm at 33w and have already been feeling the painful contractions down there. And before someone asks, it's not Braxton-Hicks. My BH contractions I feel higher and there is no pain, just a tightening. The real contractions are painful enough to wake me up at night and feel like intense cramping.

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004
Thanks for the replies. This pregnancy has been so different from my other 2 that I have no clue what is going on. I see my dr early next week so I'll have her check.

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004
Uziel: Invest in some good ear plugs. I can sometimes control it when my husband wakes me up to roll over, and am usually playing roll over games all night.

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004
Question for breastfeeding moms: I just had my baby 9 days ago. The lactation consultant told me to not start pumping until 2 weeks in. When I do, what is the best way to build a stock pile of frozen milk without hurting the supply and what he is getting? Thanks in advance!

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004

Mnemosyne posted:

Can I ask why you aren't supposed to pump until 2 weeks in?

In addition to the oversupply issues everyone else mentioned, she wants to make sure that the milk has come in fully and you aren't pumping colostrum. Apparently it has a laxative effect.

Thanks for the help ladies. :)

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004
I breastfeed and bought a thing of formula before I had him. My reasoning being, it will be difficult to pack up a screaming, hungry newborn (and siblings if you have them) to go to the store to grab some if you don't have someone who can do a quick run to the store. While it's been tempting to use, especially at night or during the day when I'm trying to get cleaning and such done, I have yet to use it. It's there 'just in case'.

Hope it helps. Also, to the person who wants to keep all their baby stuff, keep it. I gave ALL my girl stuff away except blankets, and kick myself every day, even though I had a boy.

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004
Anyone experience mastitis? Last night while shivering with a fever that went up to 102, I called my ob's office the dr who was on-call was kind enough to call in an antibiotic. I am taking it, and the fever did break, but the breast is still very sore and red. I am taking the pain meds that my ob gave me when I checked out of the hospital to help with feeding. Him on that one side, especially when he is hugging the breast and not swaddled, is excruciating. Thanks in advance.

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004

peanut posted:

"Heat, (massage), rest, empty breast."
Do you have anyone who can squeeze it out for you? When I had it, Bug didn't like to nurse in the problem area because it was hard work to get the milk out. The nurses/LC at the hospital went at it for half an hour and unplugged the duct.
They also recommended nursing in a different position. I had to stop doing across-the-chest with Bug and change to the armpit "football" hold exclusively.
And of course, squeezing it out in a hot bath/shower.

We're practicing the sitting position now and I'm paranoid that it might not drain well enough and mastitis will come back ;; But we gotta get this down well for when she goes on an airplane for 11 hours!

So wonderfully, after 2 doses of antibiotic, 2 hot showers/massage, a night with the heating pad and him draining that side 3 times, the plugged duct cleared. I'm going to finish the antibiotics per doctor's orders, but am happy and pain free. Thanks for the info. I was afraid it was last awhile, and am pleasantly surprised it was only bad for a couple days.

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004
Get to your ob. That was the first question my ob asked when I called for my mastitis. You need antibiotics to clear it up. She might recommend a breast pump. Sorry for your pain. :( That crap hurts.

Hot compresses and warm showers helped me a great deal.

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004

Fire In The Disco posted:

I switched to nursing bras pretty early because they hurt too much to wear underwire. I got the Bravado Body Silk Seamless because they come in S,M,L, etc. sizes so they have room for growth (and you will get growth...LOL). I still use them now, with my 15 month old, for nursing.

A friend of mine used hers for 4 days, then stopped nursing so she gave it to me in a bag of all her pregnancy clothes. The best bra ever! I bought a couple different ones in addition to the one she gave me and by far, the bravado is my favorite. I will wear it, wash and dry it at night then wear it the next day.

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004

yawnie posted:

hospital concerns

The hospital I gave birth at had the same policy. I would just keep the baby with me and the nurses would come get baby once the pediatrician got there. They would them bring him back once dr was done. The longest time he was away from me, was about 3 hours while my ob did his circ, but they assured me that they wouldn't feed him (I breastfeed) and if he got hungry they would bring him to me. Apparently though babies who have circs don't eat well that day, so it wasn't that big of a deal.

Also, my hospital had a 'mommy rest period' when all guests had to leave. The nurses had no problems with visitors coming and seeing any of the patients. I had husband, 2 kids, in-laws, and friends come and it was ok. They said that some of the new moms have a hard time telling people to leave so it was more of a help to them.

*edit to ask breastfeeding moms: How long did you nurse for?

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004
Wow, I feel horrible. I stopped breastfeeding at six weeks. With the older kids' schedules and activities, not to mention all the regular chores and such, I couldn't nurse him. I don't feel comfortable nursing in public and whenever I've been pumping I never got enough to fill him for one feeding. I talked to the pediatrician and he was thrilled I even went for 6 weeks. Kudos to all the women who go for longer.

Now for questions. Those of you who use/d moby wraps, how long would you wear baby and was it hard to get him used to not being held when he outgrew it? I bought one today and it is a godsend. How hot do they get? I'm in Texas where we get very, very hot. Will I get super sweaty if I wear it outside?

Also, I have not had a period. I stopped breastfeeding Friday and have yet to get it. I had assumed I would get it over the weekend, but nothing. How long until your periods came back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

So is it common to stay in the hospital for several days after the baby is born? I figured I'd go home asap unless there is bad tearing.

Everyone is right about the length of stay depending on the hospital. But, watch out for the group b strep. I tested positive and progressed through labor so quickly that there wasn't any time to give me antibiotics so the pediatrician wanted to keep baby for a full 3 days. Since there was no way I was leaving the hospital without my baby I ended up in the hospital with him.