Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

foxatee posted:

Oh good. I've been wondering about that irc channel.

Do you think we should add something in the OP about baby registry essentials/suggestions? In the last thread, a few people asked about strollers, car seats, and wraps/carriers. I know I asked for some goon recommendations in that department.

Also: latching techniques and tips on how to soothe your aching nips?

A good resource for breastfeeding (probably the best online) would be http://www.kellymom.com.

Googling "essential baby items" brings up a host of items recommended and even some check lists with some good information. You can also get a list from your OBGYN or maybe your hospital's maternity ward. Here's one of the many links that came up: http://www.thenewparentsguide.com/essential-baby-products.htm Every person will have different ideas on what is necessary for starting your new life with baby.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

DaemonWyrm posted:

Anyone have any advice on diaper pail brands?

We really like, and still use, the Diaper Genie Deluxe II. We've also recommended it to a friend who likes it so much she's put one on each floor. Now that our kid's older and has gross poops we only use it for poop diapers and pee diapers go straight into the trash to help conserve those refills. This is for disposable diapers. I still don't notice a smell unless it's full (or you open it to dump another diaper in, duh) and we just spray some lysol in there after every refill change. The refills can cost anywhere from $5.50-$7 depending on if you pay retail or if they're on sale.

Most of the other recommendations people were giving are for cloth diapers. If it was cloth diaper pails you're looking for a recommendation on, I really like the fuzzibunz hanging wetbag. It's large plus you can just toss it into the laundry with the cloth diapers (after dumping them out, of course) as others have mentioned so that's a nice bonus. It's elasticized, but has a zipper on the bottom so you don't have to touch the diapers.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 18, 2011

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

MarshallX posted:

Folks, I'm coming to you on behalf of the wife. She is 39 weeks and this morning started getting "stomach pains" as she called them. She said they aren't painful really things just get tight like Braxton Hicks.

The last three times she has had them have been 10:03, 10:13 and 10:21.

Could this be it?

Edit: 10:30

Call your OBGYN?

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

DaemonWyrm posted:

Hey thats a good idea!

Maybe this is a really stupidly naive question but can't one just throw the diapers in the big trash can outside?

I know a lot of people won't do it because if you leave random pieces of ungathered trash in your main trash bin it'd likely end up on the street or your yard when the garbage men collect - especially if they use one of those trucks with the automated arms that just dumps the bin into the truck.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Fire In The Disco posted:

Cloth diapering alone saves you a ton of money over time

This is really mostly true if you do it with multiple kids. With one kid, I don't see it saving a whole lot of money what with initial investments and whatnot.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Liviana posted:

I believe the average cost of diapering one child in disposables is in the range of $2000. I have spent a grand total of $350 cloth diapering my daughter who is currently 17 months. This, of course, does not factor in water and electricity from laundry, but I did not notice any real change in our bills when we started washing her diapers every couple of days.

I do use a less expensive type of cloth diaper (and I use cloth wipes that I made myself)- prefolds with covers - but that is by choice. I prefer the simplicity of prefolds over all-in-ones, pockets, or hybrids. I have friends however who use pockets or AIOs and still have only spent about $500 total diapering their children.

Another bonus is that cloth diapers have resale value. I have sold the pockets, all-in-ones, and other diapers that I have no liked to provide the money for the diapers I use now.

Cloth diapers do have a heavier upfront cost, but over time they more than pay for themselves.

I cloth diaper as well, but personally speaking with one kid i haven't noticed a huge decrease in the bills, just a huge increase in the amount of laundry we do. ;) I use prefolds as well as pockets/AIOs, though.

Someone also pointed out elsewhere that cloth diapering can be cheaper in countries other than the US due to the high cost of disposables. I know here you can get a box of around 100+ diapers for $20 for store brands that are of good quality. That's about 1 AIO cloth diaper.

A friend gave me several diaper covers for an infant and being able to reuse the ones I have will definitely help save us money when we decide to have a second kid.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2011

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

If a maternity bra isn't something you want to invest in right now (honestly I wouldn't because your boobs will change throughout and after pregnancy) you can always get/wear a sports bra. I loved mine, plus they were super easy for me to use when I was nursing and I still wear 'em. Seconding to the "avoid the underwire thing", too.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Dogfish posted:

Formula-fed babies are at higher risk for ear infections

I think this is more to do with the fact that people prop bottles while their baby is laying down flat and let their babies go to sleep laying down with a bottle, than the fact that it's formula.

Anyway, to chime in, definitely breastfeed on demand while you can to establish a decent supply. If your baby is like a lot of babies I know of (including mine!) this can also mean every hour/half hour through the night.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 27, 2011

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

peanut posted:

My hospital used powdered milk for all the NICU babies. Breastfeeding isn't sterile either.

I slathered hand sanitizer all over my hands and chest when I was breastfeeding. :colbert:

(not really, but imagine how loving cold that'd be)

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

anythingbutbloo posted:

I will never understand why so many family members think that the best time for a visit is just after the birth of a baby, especially when they plan to stay at the home of the new parents. It boggles my mind.

Because some families are very family oriented and it doesn't bother some folks? I had no problem with it - especially when my husband went back work 5 days later. I have an excellent relationship with all of my in-laws. I appreciated immensely when they cooked, helped clean, and helped repair little things around the house. You just have to establish your boundaries early on. I never once had an issue with someone trying to take the baby from me or not give her back if she was upset.

Basically, discuss these things with family members before the baby is born and it'll help.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 11, 2011

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

MarshallX posted:

It's very much about who and what kind of relatives you have.

Absolutely and that was the point I was trying to convey, really. I have some family members that I would have rather not have had around at first and they weren't. Ironically they also live here in town and it wasn't really an issue. The ones I would have rather seen more of were the ones that didn't stay as long as I would have liked. ;)

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

ChloroformSeduction posted:

My favourite stuff for maternity were probably yoga pants. Not officially maternity, but they have lycra in them (or something stretchy, whatever), I could pull them below my belly and wear them postpartum while I lose the baby weight. I also liked nursing tanks.

These were also my 2 favorites pre and post pregnancy. I love the maternity tops Target carries cause they offer good support and are under $20. I still wear mine all of the time and they're both holding up really well.

I, too, preferred being pregnant in the summer. I fell at least 2 times early in my pregnancy on ice. Yea, no thanks. D: However, I was also lucky to have a mild Indiana summer pregnancy 2 years ago whereas dreamcatcherkwe had a lovely Indiana summer pregnancy (100% humidity and 95+ degree weather no thanks!) last year. Aericina, here's hoping we have a mild summer yet again this year.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Just want to throw out there that supplementing can mess with your supply because you're not breastfeeding on demand to maintain. We had to supplement because I did not respond to the pump while I was at work, or any other time. My supply tanked pretty much when I went to work and couldn't BF on demand or pump worth poo poo - and I already had issues.

Edited to clarify that I mean supplementing with formula, not pumped milk.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 25, 2011

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I was dilated 2 and a half cm at around 38 weeks (same time I lost my mucus plug) and 1 and a half around 36 weeks. I had her 4 days shy of her due date.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I think in most situations it's because tons of people don't know how to do anything in moderation or less than so that's why there's the blanket "just don't do it" statement.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

vanessa posted:

What did you gals do when your breasts started getting bigger? Did they keep growing all through the rest of your pregnancy? I'm at week 7 and my pre-pregnancy bras are starting to get tight (could probably wait a bit before I absolutely need to get some bigger bras) and I don't want to go out and buy a bajillion new bras if my breasts are still going to grow. I only wear my bras once before tossing them in the wash because I walk a lot and get sweaty, but I might be okay with getting a few bras and wearing them two days before washing if I knew that I'd need more bras before too long.

Also, did just your cup size change, or did you wind up changing band sizes as well?

Sports bras are great for this until you'll know your cup size.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Bahunter22 posted:

Long time lurker, but finally transferring from the Gettin' Knocked Up thread to this one! I'm just about 5 weeks along, so not super far in.

A question though: Did anyone have trouble in the beginning feeling detached from their pregnancy? Don't get me wrong, I'm psyched about it, but I just don't feel like its real and the 7 tests I've taken and the vast array of symptoms should be all I need to get me by. It just feels like I'm in someone else's life and I'll wake up in my old life any second now.

I felt this way for a while, past the first ultrasound, and finally kinda GOT IT when the baby finally started moving around more. I don't think it's unnatural to feel detached.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Cross_ posted:

You buy Huggies Little Snugglers (Newborn size) and watch for the indicator to turn blue. :)

Pampers newborn/size 1 Swaddlers also have this feature. It's really nice early on when you're extra paranoid about wet diapers.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

^^ The really bad headaches were one of my first symptoms. Holy hell, they were awful. Talk to your OB about getting a prescription to help make them tolerable. I ended up caving in and doing this because tylenol was doing nothing.

I use our changing table constantly. We're lucky that it can fit in our closet. I just bought some of those square canvas containers to put clothes and cloth diapers in (also doubles as a dresser).

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 14, 2011

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Fire In The Disco posted:

Honestly, I would register for cloth diapers separately. Flips are fine, and I do like the covers, but the inserts, to me, are weird and bulkier than prefolds (the one I have is from about a year ago, so it's possible they've redesigned it).

I have actually noticed quite the opposite, especially when the prefold is trifolded. A friend of mine gave me all of her flip covers and inserts and they're much more streamlined than the prefolds w/ covers. They are several years old, as well.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Tatiana posted:

I know I'm totally a flips mormon, but the microfiber inserts are in no way bulky. Maybe you are thinking of the bamboo inserts which are pretty bulky to fold, but I prefer them over the microfiber.

The thing with prefolds is that some people hate snappis. I used snappis for a while because Lorelai was too small for the flips cover (this will be hilarious to anyone who knows how fat my kid is). I was soooo happy to be rid of them. The Flips are a million times faster with a wriggly baby.

They are a fantastic, and pretty cost effective system. You can also just use prefolds tri-folded in the covers.

A common complaint is that it takes too long for babies to be fat enough to use, but you can fold down the back of the cover so that it is small enough for them.

Here is a pic of her at 6 weeks wearing folded up flips.

And to expand on this here is a 29lb 22 month old wearing the exact same diaper:

They will last you pretty much through potty training.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

legbeard posted:

Could anyone tell me what kind of restrictions the doctor will put on a pregnant woman for work? I'm single and I found out last week that I'm pregnant. I work in construction, so it is physical work and somewhat hazardous.

I'm just curious what the doctor will let me do and for how long. I gotta work so I can pay for stuff.

Eventually you will be told you won't be able to lift anything more than 15lbs. I think for me it was around 14 weeks. I worked in a bookstore and was constantly lifting things, though. Repetitive lifting is bad, which was why I was given a strict limit early on.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 18, 2011

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Brown Moses posted:

Does anyone know if homemade yogurt is safe to eat during pregnancy.

As mentioned it depends on the source.

I was bad and ate unpasteurized butter and brie cheese (not all of the time, but I hate a lot of both in a few sittings). mmm delicious Amish butter.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Imperialist Dog posted:

Hi all,

Lurked a bit here during my wife's uneventful pregnancy and happy that everything went well for us. But now, I have an actual problem! Our son was born seven weeks ago, and after around 4 weeks we noticed that he had an umbilical hernia. Basically, the area around the umbilical cord isn't strong enough yet to keep everything inside so there's a nice golf ball-sized protrusion. Looks and sounds scary! However, upon reading up on the condition, it seems to go away on its own by the time a child is one year old. So as long as it doesn't cause the baby any distress, don't worry about it and it'll go away.

Here's where the domestic situation comes into play. My wife is Chinese and her family (mother) and friends want her to wrap our boy in in a belt with a coin positioned on it to force the hernia back in. All the medical websites I checked out say this either a) doesn't do anything or b) can actually cause harm, but when I bring it up the Chinese side of the family brings out Chinese sites which say the exact opposite.

We're concerned about the size, too; at first it was about 1cm long but now it's a little over 3cm in length. My wife is very apprehensive about this apparent hernia size increase.

So, any advice? Or should I head on over to the Goon Doctor?

What does your pediatrician say? Personally I wouldn't mess with it, but definitely call your ped and ask about it.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Winson_Paine posted:

If it makes anyone feel any better, we were sent home from the hospital with a four pack of ready to serve formula, and it is still untouched.

Yea, hospitals usually send home at least a sample of formula. OBs also hand them out, too. Formula company agendas and whatnot :tinfoil:

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I think the common misconception a lot of people associate with homebirths is that they're all :nws:unassisted homebirths:nws: which is definitely not the case. Every person I know who has had a homebirth has had a home birth with a medical professional present.

That link is only :nws: cause of the dangly tits. Not due to the content of the article.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Winson_Paine posted:

My missus was SURE it was a girl, and it turned out to be, but 50/50 odds, right? We also tried to dodge the name thing, but have already run into three other Eleanors which is weird to me.

We plan on using either Eleanor or Evelyn if we end up with another girl. I have no idea why Eleanor is super popular now, but we have an old family friend that was one of the most amazing people I'd ever met. :colbert:

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I've had several people ask us if we named Charlotte after the sex & the city character. Who would even do that was it even popular enough for that to happen 2 years ago? Basically who cares what people will think/say? No matter what someone's going to comment on whatever name you decide to give your kid. Go with what you've wanted since your heart is set on it. Unless it's something dumb like JaMichael.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 11, 2011

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

fosborb posted:

We were planning an IKEA run next week in Minneapolis for some crib hunting but from what I can tell they've pulled all of their cribs from the US as of last week or so. Anyone hear anything about this? Know of any other good baby stores in the area?

Target and Babies R Us both carry cribs and quite a bit of other baby items.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Panne posted:

They don't have the equipment to just take a look into your ear :confused: Can't they just use that funnel thing with a light on it? Anyway, to rule out wax you could try putting a few drops of some kind of oil in your ear overnight, as it should loosen wax buildup.

Yea, I think that's bizarre, too.

Do you have a general practitioner or a family doctor you could go to to have a look?

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Personally, if you're not scheduled for an ultrasound it's just a waste of time. You have to wait a while to get an ultrasound so sitting around is boring and in the end you'll likely end up with a photo like this:

which was the best one of the bunch :mad: That was around 23 weeks though so maybe if your SO is further along the baby won't have as much room to wiggle around and cover their face.

I had one done cause I was scheduled for an ultrasound anyway for other issues not related to the pregnancy.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Some women get implantation bleeding so it's not super uncommon for spotting to occur. False positive are pretty rare.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Target has their nursing tanks on sale online for $10 plus free shipping. I have 2 of them and they're awesome.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/?asin=B004OX1IX2&ref=sc_sk_txt_1_1

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

sheri posted:

So is there a general consensus as to how long you should be off the pill before starting to try to get pregnant. Say you want to start trying in January, should you just go off the pill in January? Sometime before then? What else should you make sure you do beforehand? Do you schedule an appointment with your Dr.? What questions should you ask in determining where you want/who you want to have to deliver your baby?

Is it normal to be really excited about starting the process of trying to have children, but at the same time terrified?

You tell your doctor you plan on trying for a baby and then get a prescription for some prenatals. It's good to start them ASAP. At that point your doctor will probably refer you to an OBGYN - unless said doctor is also an OBGYN (mine was but dropped it because he has too many patients as is). I just went with my doctor's recommendation and that worked out really well. I have friends that went with other friend recommendations.

As far as the pill goes it's possible to get pregnant as soon as you stop taking it assuming your cycles are regular. It'll all depend on your body.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

We also did the posting an ultrasound photo thing. People seem to pick up on that relatively quickly and the responses were hilarious.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Yea, of the things that annoyed me about being pregnant, being asked about it wasn't one of them. Wait until someone tries to touch your stomach or when you're at the end of your pregnancy and you keep on hearing "get sleep while you can because..!". This is just the beginning so I guess take this time to enjoy it before poo poo gets really obnoxious (enjoy people's comments, that is). :)

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

opie posted:

Even that didn't bother me. I only remember one non-family member touching my stomach, and she's kind of the grandma of the office so it didn't bother me. I don't remember the "sleep while you can" stuff because my biggest complaint towards the end of both pregnancies was being in too much pain to sleep - and that's what I would tell people if they asked how I was. I got a lot of "it must suck to be pregnant during the summer" comments, but last time I said I was jut happy I could wear flipflops, and this time I just said "it's a good thing summer hasn't started yet". Where I live it rains most of the year except summer, and this year has been particularly cool temperature-wise. Also I love having my maternity leave when the weather is nice. And generally it's not flu season.

The most annoying thing I heard was actually from my husband, complaining about being too tired. It's almost always his fault too - he purposely stays up too late knowing I'm a morning person, while I go to bed early unless I'm working.

Yea, no one ever touched my belly but I hear it's something that just really annoys a lot of women. We had a good summer (of '09) being pregnant. I think we lucked out. :P I actually slept like a log towards the end of my pregnancy so I lucked out there. But I still got the "NAP/SLEEP while you can~" bs like I wasn't doing it already or something.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

large fluffy towels
A boppy, and a nightgown/oversized shirt with buttons down the front or a low scoop neck if you plan on breastfeeding.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

^ It's definitely highly dependent upon the hospital. Also, the timing. I assume you're in for a shorter amount of time if they're desperate for spare beds/rooms.

Bahunter22 posted:

I'm in the states and its a 24 hour stay if you have a vaginal delivery and everyone is healthy as a horse. I've had friends who were actually only there about 18 hours after the baby popped out though since they were in a rush to get patients checked out. The stay bumps up to 72 hours if you have a c-section.

I was in with a fairly uneventful vaginal birth, a tiny tear, for 3 nights and 4 days. I gave birth (went in at 3am with contractions) Wednesday and was discharged Saturday night. Charlotte had the cord around her neck and pooped on the way out, but that isn't completely abnormal.

Isn't birth beautiful.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I did the quad screen and that required around 4 vials of blood, I think. I wanna say that was around 14 weeks.