Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

AllenR posted:

The only benefits would be being able to run more PSP demos (but not all the new ones) and what Sony has included with their actual firmware. Things like a comic viewer and built in video game sorting are included but other than that there's not much. I asked the psp-hacks forum about if it's worthy to upgrade from prom4 but someone basically told me to wait for the guys who did GEN to release their versions of 6.xx firmware.

Ah, that's useful info. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I have a PSP-2000 with custom firmware from approximately 3 years ago. Everything used to work fine, I stayed away from my PSP for a while, then just picked it back up. I had put my copy of Disgaea 1 on my stick, then added a few new things. Now, when I play Disgaea 1, I stay at the "Now Loading" screen. Is something wrong with my stick? I don't have much free space left on it (about 300MB on a 8GB stick).

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
^ Sounds like your card may have gotten messed up. Try copying everything off, formatting the stick, and putting everything back on.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

RadicalR posted:

^ Sounds like your card may have gotten messed up. Try copying everything off, formatting the stick, and putting everything back on.

Will that stop it from being a "Magic" Memory Stick?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
You're not using it as a Jigkick, are you? Aside from that, no.

ButterChugger
Oct 12, 2007

So I've been trying to mess with this for the last hour or so trying to just get my PSX backups to play on my PSP. I got the 1000 series And if I'm reading this correctly I have to have a custom firmware to softmod the battery into a pandora battery, but in order to install custom firmware, I have to have a pandora battery?

vkeios
May 7, 2007

If your PSP-1000 has firmware thats less than 6.37, then you can run HEN and install CFW using Hellcat's Recovery Flasher.

If not, then you need to either hardmod a pandora battery, buy one, or have a friend with CFW softmod one for you.

Fooly Cooly 25 posted:

Hello, I'm running TN Homebrew on my old PSP 2000. However, I can't seem to use my Valyria Chornicles 2 DLC now, with the legit UMD. What should I do?
Did you try running the game while in OFW instead of HEN?
Are you getting an error like "not authorized to play this"? If so, then go to Account Management -> System Activation.
Maybe try reinstalling the DLC, using MediaGo or a PS3.

I don't have any DLC so I'm afraid I can't be of anymore help (Is VC2's DLC worth the money? I got the game, I just haven't touched it yet).

vkeios fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 5, 2011

ButterChugger
Oct 12, 2007

It's at 6.37. Should I just return it and get another one in hopes that one isn't?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2042

If you use this, you can make your battery into a Pandora one.

ButterChugger
Oct 12, 2007

Do I just take all of those files and put them into the GAME folder? If not instead of being a pest for the sake of the thread, maybe someone could help me over AIM or MSN?

edit: I think I got it working, it would just be nice if there was a readme to go along with that.
I'm just gonna return it cause i was dumb and just upgraded it when I got it and get another one that hopefully isn't.

ButterChugger fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 5, 2011

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

AllenR posted:

someone basically told me to wait for the guys who did GEN to release their versions of 6.xx firmware.

Are they even still IN the scene!?

vkeios posted:

Did you try running the game while in OFW instead of HEN?
Are you getting an error like "not authorized to play this"? If so, then go to Account Management -> System Activation.
Maybe try reinstalling the DLC, using MediaGo or a PS3.

I don't have any DLC so I'm afraid I can't be of anymore help (Is VC2's DLC worth the money? I got the game, I just haven't touched it yet).

OFW shouldn't be necessary.

Reactivating's worth a shot, but unless you have 22 files in /PSP/LICENSE with ULUS10515 (or .eu/.jp equivalent) in their names, you really should go through Media Go. I think you can't get the licenses from the Store through the PSP itself if you're on most custom firmware or PSNlover, and I don't know if the PS3 will throw a fit if you try to force it to feed your DLC to a non-current PSP firmware, but I wouldn't be surprised.

22 missions for :5bux:. If you can still stand to play VC2 (CREDITS :argh:) you might as well.

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Todo lo tuyo ahora es MIO
Thanks to vkeios and Sir Unimaginative for the help.

i thought the DLC was worth the price, but then again I love VC 2 (stupid characters aside).

Oh yeah, all I had to do is simply re-install the DLC

Fooly Cooly 25 fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Mar 6, 2011

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Do I need to sign PSX games to work on the PS3/PSP? I have a couple that I think I can convert?

E: Nvm, looks like you cant.

Ingram fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Mar 6, 2011

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Hi. I put 6.35 pro-b on my psp 3000.

How do I buy games off the psn store with this setup? I don't want to upgrade to the newest firmware. I also have a ps3.

redreader fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 6, 2011

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
So I put Pro B onto the PSP 3000, I can't believe how EASY it was haha. I used to own a 1000 and had to do a lot more to hack it.

Don't mind at all having to redo it every reboot either.

I now have some PSX games cranking like Vagrant Story and MGS1.

Anywhere on the net where I could find suggestions for controller configurations for these games? It's difficult to work out what buttons you need/should map to.

Cheers.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

redreader posted:

Hi. I put 6.35 pro-b on my psp 3000.

How do I buy games off the psn store with this setup? I don't want to upgrade to the newest firmware. I also have a ps3.
Buy and download them with your PS3. You can transfer them to your PSP via usb.

Ingram posted:

Anywhere on the net where I could find suggestions for controller configurations for these games? It's difficult to work out what buttons you need/should map to.
You could look for game manual archiving projects. There's one that converts the manuals to the PSP format (so you can read them in game).

Also any lovely faq that tries to pad itself to be as long as possible, those should have sections on what button does what.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Game Categories Light got updated to play nice with 6.35 PRO(-B2).

Stuff that doesn't quite work right posted:

(Most of this was tested on a PSP-1001, unless mentioned otherwise.)

It locks up if you try to go into a category with ISOs in it in 'sort by category' mode unless you see the ISOs with another sort criterion first. (It might also have some weird lockups with PSN titles that I'm having trouble reproducing right now, if you sort by something other than 'All' or 'Sort by Category' before you 'Sort by Category'.)
EDIT: These lockups seem to go away if you just copy the 6.35 Pro-B2 updater over the original Pro-B one, or the files from Pro-B other than EBOOT.PBP into the Pro-B2 folder. (It's smaller because I guess they figured out how to sign it without a size of around 5 MB.) EDIT 2: Uh, mostly. Again, having trouble making them appear reliably, but apparently they do.

Also it locks up if you try to get 'Information' on your lowest folder, regardless of name.

If you make an 'Uncategorized' folder, stuff in /PSP/GAME/ that isn't categorized will appear in the lowest folder. (PSP menus traditionally sort from newest (at top) to oldest (at bottom). Easy workaround? Change its Date Modified with PSP Filer. To, like, 1999.) If you use /seplugins/hide_uncategorized.txt to hide the uncategorized folder, regardless of if you make one, stuff in /PSP/GAME/ or /ISO/ straight-up will be gone. Not good for PSN stuff.

Virtually every game - homebrew, ISO, PSN - has glitchy version descriptors. Don't know if it affects play yet. I think this might actually be related to random lockups.

You MAY have to reset VSH (not device) to make the plugin work, when you load up PRO after a shutdown or device reset, and maybe rarely after some homebrew, but that's only if you keep, like, everything on your PSP. I tested it with a 32 GB stick that was full of, well, just about everything I could throw at it, and it doesn't discriminate by PSP model, but I don't have the time to tell beyond that right now.

More on Naming poo poo posted:

ISOs in folders won't show up if the folder name is 7 characters and the file name is longer than ONE, or if the folder name is longer than 7 period. 6 or less gives you a LOT of leeway (I stopped checking at 34). Kinda sucks you can't put ISOs into /ISO/Uncategorized/ and expect them to work, though.
Homebrew and official titles get 31 characters for the folder name - not including the /PSP/GAME/ part. (Slashes and periods counts as a character, if you're using category folders.)
ISOs not in category folders seem to get even more than that.

But hey, at least now we HAVE category sorting on Pro. So, uh, progress?

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Actually, I can deal with these issues, even if 99% of the community can't. Congratulations, bubbletune, you finally dragged me kicking and screaming off of GEN.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 7, 2011

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

You know what? Disregard my previous post. neur0n's version works better on PRO-B2, so just use that.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Congratulations, bubbletune, you finally dragged me kicking and screaming off of GEN.

Is it really time to move on from GEN, seeing how a 6.XX version from them will never see the light of day?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

paperwind posted:

Is it really time to move on from GEN, seeing how a 6.XX version from them will never see the light of day?

There's still some things missing from PRO-B2:
Having trouble getting converted PS1 titles to work, even though they're supposed to now.
ISO Ripping is only from VSH. (It doesn't work through PSP Filer or ISO Tool for some reason). And VSH Ripping still cuts off the last sector of the image. (Not always an issue, but some games, like Kenka Bancho and Valkyria Chronicles 2, actually keep active game data in that last sector.)

SNES emulation seems to work now, and I'm willing to call any continuing GBA issues (and TempAR's lack of PS1 save injection) app-side problems, so solve the two above and GEN is pretty much done for.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 8, 2011

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008
I'm thinking of going from 5.50 Gen-D3 on a 1000 back to ofw, is the way to do this by using the Hellcat's Recovery Flasher and flashing the latest ofw EBOOT or is it something more complicated?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Fiannaiocht posted:

I'm thinking of going from 5.50 Gen-D3 on a 1000 back to ofw, is the way to do this by using the Hellcat's Recovery Flasher and flashing the latest ofw EBOOT or is it something more complicated?

1) Why?
2) No, seriously, why?
3) Pretty much what you described.

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008

1) Why?
2) No, seriously, why?
3) Pretty much what you described.

Trying to play psp2 online and I don't play my psx isos on it anymore or pirate psp games. After not touching it for two years I was surprised that people were still using 5.0 m33-6.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Fiannaiocht posted:

Trying to play psp2 online and I don't play my psx isos on it anymore or pirate psp games. After not touching it for two years I was surprised that people were still using 5.0 m33-6.

Tried PSNlover yet?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Fiannaiocht posted:

Not good enough - remember how ungodly slow loading from the UMD deck is?

Edoraz is describing a plugin that makes the PSN work on 5.xx custom firmware. ... well, except for getting stuff from the Store, but we have Media Go for that. Give it a shot before you update.

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008

Not good enough - remember how ungodly slow loading from the UMD deck is?

Edoraz is describing a plugin that makes the PSN work on 5.xx custom firmware. ... well, except for getting stuff from the Store, but we have Media Go for that. Give it a shot before you update.

I do have PSNlover, I'm trying to download psp2 from the PSN store and run it online but currently the demo doesn't want to start. I'm not entirely sure if it would work if I where to download from media go or rip from the umd. I'm wondering if anyone else has gotten it to work with cfw?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Fiannaiocht posted:

I do have PSNlover, I'm trying to download psp2 from the PSN store and run it online but currently the demo doesn't want to start. I'm not entirely sure if it would work if I where to download from media go or rip from the umd. I'm wondering if anyone else has gotten it to work with cfw?

Media Go. PSN downloads on M33 won't get license files even with PSNlover. Make sure you've activated your PSP for games (in Account Management on the PSP or... I think the same place in Media Go).

EDIT: And keep in mind that Media Go will only transfer games to PSPs themselves, not to a detached Memory Stick, so get your mini-USB cable ready.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 9, 2011

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Are the psn ps1 games optimized for the psp somehow, or are they just a repackaged iso?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

redreader posted:

Are the psn ps1 games optimized for the psp somehow, or are they just a repackaged iso?

They're a repackaged iso, since they need to work on psp and ps3. Any slowdown is probably present in the original game, since the emulator works really well.

AllenR
Dec 5, 2007
Blerg

Fiannaiocht posted:

I upgraded my PSP to Neur0n 6.35 to see how it stands since it's supposedly in early development. It worked fine with the Phantasy Star Portable 2 demo.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Well, there's a permanent install patch for 6.20 TN-D now. Its supposed to work on unhackable PSPs, but I've seen a few reports of bricking.

Also, Sony fixed the security flaw in 6.3x OFW (the flaw is literally replacing a file with another with the same size), so don't expect this to apply to newer HENs.

:siren: Don't try installing it unless you're fine with turning your psp into a paperweight.
Wololo thread about it.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
I have two related but separate questions.

I am using 6.35 PRO and downloaded the PRO-B and PRO-B2 updates. I ran them both. I restarted my PSP and it went back to the normal firmware, so I again ran 6.35... and it is just the regular PRO, not B-2. Do I need to run B-2 each time that I turn my PSP on, after running PRO?

I tried to install CWcheat but it doesn't seem like I can access the recovery menu or whatever it is. Is there some way around this with B2 or do I need to try the other cheat program listed in the OP?

EDIT: I just installed TempAR and did what it said but it seems like it isn't working either, I assume it has something to do with the plugins folder.

Nephrite fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 9, 2011

vkeios
May 7, 2007

You know that FastRecovery app that came with the Pro-B2 update? Use that to restart Pro-B2. You can use the install program, but thats quicker.

Also you might need to grab an updated version of Cwcheat. The program isn't officially updated anymore. But someone always ends up updating it.

Also that other program, TempAR, is usually updated for new firmwares pretty quickly; and it uses Cwcheat's cheat databases (except for PSX games). The activation combo is pretty drat retarded though.

Edit: plugins folder or seplugins? 6.35 Pro requires a folder in the root of your memorycard called seplugins.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

vkeios posted:

You know that FastRecovery app that came with the Pro-B2 update? Use that to restart Pro-B2. You can use the install program, but thats quicker.

Also you might need to grab an updated version of Cwcheat. The program isn't officially updated anymore. But someone always ends up updating it.

Also that other program, TempAR, is usually updated for new firmwares pretty quickly; and it uses Cwcheat's cheat databases (except for PSX games). The activation combo is pretty drat retarded though.

Edit: plugins folder or seplugins? 6.35 Pro requires a folder in the root of your memorycard called seplugins.

Thank you! Some things say to make a folder that says "plugins" and some say "seplugins." I appreciate it.

EDIT: This is the thing that bothers me about the PSP scene sometimes, I'd never have had any idea what the loving hell a "Fast Recovery Loader" was without you telling me. :argh:

Nephrite fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 10, 2011

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Now that I have 6.35 pro-b on my psp:

-Is it possible, if I really want to, to just upgrade my firmware normally? My normal firmware is still there, but something was written to flash
-Is it possible to remove whatever was written to the flash so that it appears to be a normal psp?

It seems like there are some helpful 'how to' threads but there's a lot of 'stfu noob' and jargon-talk on the various forums.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

redreader posted:

Now that I have 6.35 pro-b on my psp:

-Is it possible, if I really want to, to just upgrade my firmware normally? My normal firmware is still there, but something was written to flash
-Is it possible to remove whatever was written to the flash so that it appears to be a normal psp?

It seems like there are some helpful 'how to' threads but there's a lot of 'stfu noob' and jargon-talk on the various forums.

Yes and yes. All that's written to the memory stick is a handful of files in the same folder as the HEN/CFW eboot, it's nothing that really changes anything, you can still use media go or a PS3 or whatever without it thinking something's wrong (other than out of date firmware)

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005
Does anyone have any problems running Vagrant Story on CFW?

I purchased the game off the PSN store, transferred it to my PSP (CFW 5.50 Prometheus 4), and now I'm getting an error (CA000005) when I boot the game. A little googling told me that I had to activate my PSP on my PS3, but it's still a no go. Am I out of luck?

E: I was monkeying around with the settings (version checker, etc). Still no luck. I even tried transferring FFIX to the PSP again and I'm also getting the CA000005 error. :bang:

Mitsune fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 10, 2011

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Mitsune posted:

Does anyone have any problems running Vagrant Story on CFW?

I purchased the game off the PSN store, transferred it to my PSP (CFW 5.50 Prometheus 4), and now I'm getting an error (CA000005) when I boot the game. A little googling told me that I had to activate my PSP on my PS3, but it's still a no go. Am I out of luck?

E: I was monkeying around with the settings (version checker, etc). Still no luck. I even tried transferring FFIX to the PSP again and I'm also getting the CA000005 error. :bang:

It says that keys.bin is missing. (Seems odd for a PS1 Store offering.) How did you get it on the PSP?

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005
I'm transferring them from my PS3 to the PSP. I'm just wondering how the keys.bin file can be missing if both systems are activated with purchased/licensed software. :( Is/are the keys.bin file(s) unique to each (PS1) game?

This has been giving me the biggest headache thus far.

E: I re-flashed the PSP 2000 from 5.00m33 --> 5.50 D3 --> Prometheus 4 and I'm still getting the CA000005 error (after transferring PS1 game from PS3 to PSP). Sony, you win.

Mitsune fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllenR
Dec 5, 2007
Blerg
Edit: ^I Googled a bit of info and you can apparently just copy-paste a keys.bin from some :filez: site and put it in the Vagrant Story folder to get it to work. Not 100% sure if it'll actually work but it's something to try.

riding gravity posted:

6.35 PRO-B has allowed me to make my super nerdy dream a reality: Play Mega Man Legends with my PS3 controller through my docked PSP Go.

Click here for the full 840x534 image.

I'm so happy right now!

I've been curious. What set up do you use to achieve this?

• Locked thread